IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Thread

Neofolis

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 20 2006,08:09)

We hit 50F for the low this morning, so not as cold as had been predicted, but still, the next few days promise to be much colder.

Same here...49.8F in my yard, but the next two mornings should be colder.  How much so depends on which forecast is to be believed!   NWS says 49F and 46F, which seems a bit optimistic considering that Weather.com says 44F and 44F, while weatherunderground.com says 44F and 42F.

In any case, its good to see that there are no 30's being predicted!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 19 2006,19:56)

Hey all,

It's getting kinda' scary here lately at least for my area. NWS has 38-39 F predicted for my low on Tuesday night. Do I need to start protecting some of the more tender palms like the V. arecina and Bottles?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill -

Id keep watching the forecasts as things look to be improving.

At 38-39F, I personally wouldnt bother too much with protection for those palms.  But, it obviously will not hurt them to do as such, and if they are smaller and easy to protect, then it will not be a burden for you to do so either.

With the current forecasts, I am going to let everything ride, even the Prichardia pacifica and the Areca catechu which are probably my two m,ost tender palms in the ground.  They are big enough now that covering them is not easy and one has to weigh frond damage (especially on the pacifica with the massive fans) from bundling with the potential for damage if just left alone.   Ive found that the pacifica will start spotting in the lower 40's, but thats acceptable to me as they will grow out of it very quickly in Spring.  And, I have to expect yearly cosmetic blemishing on a palm like this around here anyway as its unrealistic to think otherwise.

I might bring in my very small potted Lipstick palms, but thats probably it.  Ive let these (literal seedlings) see about 46F so far and they have not shown any cold discomfort.

Larry 

The North winds of last night created alot of parity around the Tampa Bay area with regard to overnight lows.

Larry's Jungle - Tarpon Springs - 49.8F

USF Station - Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks (Anclote River) - 50.18F

USF Station - Fred Howard Park - (Gulf of Mexico) - 50.14F

USF Station - Campbell Park - St. Petersburg - 51.98F

Albert Whitted AP - downtown St. Pete - 53F

Clearwater/St. Pete AP - 51F

Tampa AP - 48F

Vandenberg AP (inland Tampa)- 46F

McDill AFB (south Tampa) - 48F

Larry 

Typical november chill is here now... 50's & 30's respectively..... Ugghh... how many more months till April?

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 20 2006,09:51)

With the current forecasts, I am going to let everything ride, even the Prichardia pacifica and the Areca catechu which are probably my two m,ost tender palms in the ground.  They are big enough now that covering them is not easy and one has to weigh frond damage (especially on the pacifica with the massive fans) from bundling with the potential for damage if just left alone.   Ive found that the pacifica will start spotting in the lower 40's, but thats acceptable to me as they will grow out of it very quickly in Spring.  And, I have to expect yearly cosmetic blemishing on a palm like this around here anyway as its unrealistic to think otherwise.

I might bring in my very small potted Lipstick palms, but thats probably it.  Ive let these (literal seedlings) see about 46F so far and they have not shown any cold discomfort.

Larry,

Surprised again. Didn't know you could grow Prichardia pacifica and Areca catechu in the ground that far north. I have a couple A. catechu's in the landscape and last years frost burned the tips of the leaves, but they quickly recovered come warmer weather. How long have you had these in the ground?

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Larry,

Surprised again. Didn't know you could grow Prichardia pacifica and Areca catechu in the ground that far north.

You cant!  

LOL.

These palms are not long term hardy here.  Theyll get fried eventually without some intervention on my part.  From what I can tell, these are, in the strictest sense, Zone 11 palms.  I dont mean to imply that less than 40F will kill them, but I can see changes in their appearances when the temps get into the low 40's.  The Prichardia will spot up notably and also look far less glossy and deep green, and the Areca will turn a more yellowish/green color and the leaves will also show cold displeasure.

Going off of memory, I believe I planted both of them roughly 18 months ago and boy have they grown!

I have a couple A. catechu's in the landscape and last years frost burned the tips of the leaves, but they quickly recovered come warmer weather.

I have learned alot about climate over the past few years.  Suffice it to say that my previously held conception that father south means warmer lows has been shaken.   As noted I have a reporting station on weatherundergound and as such watch many stations daily.  The same pattern holds true a good part of the time.......the closer one is to water, the better.  Latitude also plays a role of course, but 90% of the time one of the warmest readings in the state is in downtown St. Petersburg.  That station is but half an hour from me, but on radiational nights its generally a zone warmer there.   A good example was last Feb 14th...when it was 34F at my house, that station only dropped to 46F.  On cold mornings, I really get this odd desire to move...LOL.

Larry 

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 19 2006,14:46)

Larry,

Interesting data, thanks for sharing it. Its amazing how a few miles inland can make a significant difference. I usually get a light frost this far inland, once or twice a year. I had one last winter, but none the previous three years. My folks live about six miles East of me (closer to the coast) and don't get any frosts.

Zone 10-

Ive noted similarly frosty events up here.  But, last year rather than your one morning, I had two mornings with frost (December 23rd and February 14th).  December 23rd was just a tad under 38F, yet Ma Nature still saw fit to give us some frost!  

The previous three winters were also not frosty ones (although there was a bad windy freeze in Jan 2003 where it was in the upper 20's here, but probably not down your way).  

But, I am lucky in some regards related to palms/plants, to live in a newer subdivision where the houses are fairly close together.  As such, much of my yard can never frost since there is too much radiation from neighboring walls.  The air is no warmer there than in the open, but plant/grass/leaf surfaces obviously are.  As such, the frosts are always way out away from the house, and I know where they can form from experience, so I have tried to plant accordingly.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 20 2006,13:07)

Larry,

Surprised again. Didn't know you could grow Prichardia pacifica and Areca catechu in the ground that far north.

You cant!  

LOL.

These palms are not long term hardy here.  Theyll get fried eventually without some intervention on my part.  From what I can tell, these are, in the strictest sense, Zone 11 palms.  I dont mean to imply that less than 40F will kill them, but I can see changes in their appearances when the temps get into the low 40's.  The Prichardia will spot up notably and also look far less glossy and deep green, and the Areca will turn a more yellowish/green color and the leaves will also show cold displeasure.

Going off of memory, I believe I planted both of them roughly 18 months ago and boy have they grown!

I have a couple A. catechu's in the landscape and last years frost burned the tips of the leaves, but they quickly recovered come warmer weather.

I have learned alot about climate over the past few years.  Suffice it to say that my previously held conception that father south means warmer lows has been shaken.   As noted I have a reporting station on weatherundergound and as such watch many stations daily.  The same pattern holds true a good part of the time.......the closer one is to water, the better.  Latitude also plays a role of course, but 90% of the time one of the warmest readings in the state is in downtown St. Petersburg.  That station is but half an hour from me, but on radiational nights its generally a zone warmer there.   A good example was last Feb 14th...when it was 34F at my house, that station only dropped to 46F.  On cold mornings, I really get this odd desire to move...LOL.

I have a number of "you can'ts" in my yard as well. Some have made it so far, others like the Iriartea deltoidea and Hydriastele kasesa gave up the ghost. If I can find just the right microclimate for these, I'm sure I'll try again. Would hate to admit how many palms I've tried and didn't make it, but some are just so outstanding it is worth the effort.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 20 2006,08:52)

Sunny,

Went to the Sunken Gardens for the first time a couple years ago. Was amazed to see many very mature tropical palms (Kings, Coconuts) and plants there, which I thought could not survive that far north. I used to live in St. Pete back in 1978 and also don't remember coconuts palms there, but we took a drive along the beach and saw tons of them and many with fruit. I was in high school in '78' and into other things, so maybe just didn't notice them. Have there always been coconuts up there or is this due to global warming, luck, treat them like an annual, or what? Your thoughts?  ???

Hi ZoneTenNut,

Isn't Sunken Gardens wonderful - the age of some of those palms!  Their Dypsis lutescens are huge - the Archontos and Royals amazing.  Although it isn't down by Albert Whitted, it seems to enjoy similar temps.

I came down here around 1970, was in S. FL in the late 70's and back here in '80.  I'm trying to recall if there were coconuts here, but since I was long out of high school by '78, my memory ain't what it used to be.  If it ever was :D

I do think that there were coconuts out by the beaches, but nothing like what you see in S. FL.  Even so, there are some nice old ones in my area, and mature clumps of Dypsis lutescens.

We had some nasty temps in the '80s though.  I doubt you could have grown coconuts in too many places here.  1983 was, I think, the worst (Larry will know for sure).  But '89 it got so bad the electric co. ran out of power on Christmas Eve and was doing "rolling blackouts."

When it came to plants back then (80's), there weren't too many tropicals available.  Hibiscus, a few alamanda -but nothing like the variety there is now.  I don't think it was the temps - I think it was the lack of demand.  People were coming down from Illinois and Ohio and weren't familiar with tropicals.

I noticed changes after 1992.  Probably due to more people coming up from S. FL, maybe thinking it was safer here, and wanting to grow what they had back in S. FL.  Increasingly, there were more and more tropicals - and thankfully, many fewer pear- and crabapple-type things.  The northern stuff doesn't do as well here b/c of the lack of winter chill - it's easier by far to grow tropicals and if necessary, protect them in winter.

Interesting to note that Dave Witt's Cold-Hardiness study mentions a coconut (probably Jamaica Tall) out on Clearwater Beach that survived the '89 freeze.  Don't know how long it had been there, though.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Glad to see moderation in the temps  :D  Tonight may be coldest & well above any danger.  Florida dodged the bullet  :cool:

Last winter's worst / 38F in March stunned palms with browning/slow recovery  :o  but no lasting damage.  My little bethelnut survived only to be near fatally transplanted during summer.  Still looks like hell but alive  :P

LA : 90/66

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Goodness Happ!  

My high here today was lower than your low.

Who woulda thunk it from the "cold" California zone 10/11!?!?

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 20 2006,22:09)

Goodness Happ!  

My high here today was lower than your low.

Who woulda thunk it from the "cold" California zone 10/11!?!?

Yeah Larry & to be truthful I'm ready for the change coming later this week when the wind shifts onshore and cool air advects south.  Still no rain on the horizon but at least I can slow down on irrigation   :D

Actually, it has been an exceptionally warm month; more like a typical October.  It may end as one of the warmest Novembers on record; very few years have averaged above 80F this late in Fall.

Interesting reading remarks that suggest it will be either a cold or warm winter based on recent conditions.  Historically there can be vast differences from month to month.  A warm or cold November [depending on one's location] does not mean December will be the same. For example Jan 1994 was extraordinarily warm [average max in LA : 77F] but was followed by one of the coldest February [aver max : 64F].  Differences during the year could range from a record 112F day in June 1990 to a December that produced a deadly freeze that wiped out many gardens  :o   I know it can happen again  :(

Precipitation, on the other hand, seems to follow a longer pattern of dry or wet years regardless of what the temperatures may be.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr! 7:30am and it got down to 43.7F at my place. 66F inside the house! O.K., uncle! I give!

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr! 7:30am and it got down to 43.7F at my place. 66F inside the house! O.K., uncle! I give!

Don't feel bad..... 36.2 in my yard this morning... Tomorrow is supposed to be even lower :(   ... But then again, this is New York and I guess I should expect it.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Ma Nature certainly smiled upon this area last night as my yard only bottomed at 49.5F at 705AM.  The USF station on the Gulf in Tarpon Springs logged 53.92F.  

We shall see what happens tonight.

Heres the temp gradient graphic as of 7AM.....the relatively warmer air is really hugging the coast.

Nov21.jpg

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 20 2006,21:12)

Hi ZoneTenNut,

Isn't Sunken Gardens wonderful - the age of some of those palms!  Their Dypsis lutescens are huge - the Archontos and Royals amazing.  Although it isn't down by Albert Whitted, it seems to enjoy similar temps.

I came down here around 1970, was in S. FL in the late 70's and back here in '80.  I'm trying to recall if there were coconuts here, but since I was long out of high school by '78, my memory ain't what it used to be.  If it ever was :D

I do think that there were coconuts out by the beaches, but nothing like what you see in S. FL.  Even so, there are some nice old ones in my area, and mature clumps of Dypsis lutescens.

We had some nasty temps in the '80s though.  I doubt you could have grown coconuts in too many places here.  1983 was, I think, the worst (Larry will know for sure).  But '89 it got so bad the electric co. ran out of power on Christmas Eve and was doing "rolling blackouts."

When it came to plants back then (80's), there weren't too many tropicals available.  Hibiscus, a few alamanda -but nothing like the variety there is now.  I don't think it was the temps - I think it was the lack of demand.  People were coming down from Illinois and Ohio and weren't familiar with tropicals.

I noticed changes after 1992.  Probably due to more people coming up from S. FL, maybe thinking it was safer here, and wanting to grow what they had back in S. FL.  Increasingly, there were more and more tropicals - and thankfully, many fewer pear- and crabapple-type things.  The northern stuff doesn't do as well here b/c of the lack of winter chill - it's easier by far to grow tropicals and if necessary, protect them in winter.

Interesting to note that Dave Witt's Cold-Hardiness study mentions a coconut (probably Jamaica Tall) out on Clearwater Beach that survived the '89 freeze.  Don't know how long it had been there, though.

Sunny,

Absolutely loved Sunken Gardens. Really something unique and yes, I was amazed at the size and age of the Archonto's, Royals, and others. Your comments on the proliferation of tropicals up there, possibly being more due to people from SF moving up there and exposing others to tropical plants is interesting. I also did notice alot of hibiscus and allamanda up there, which again surprised me. I think its great to see all these being grown up there as well.

I remember the '89' freeze well. I was living in So. Cal. then and had flown home for the holidays. It was in the low 80's at home and when myself and my relatives from Chicago all arrived, we were looking forward to a warm Christmas and the pool. Instead, we had to go out and buy some sweatshirts and huddled around in blankets virtually the entire vacation. I think it got down to the upper 20'sF one night in West Palm Beach. Fried all kinds of stuff in my folks landscape. Hope we don't repeat that any time soon.  :;):

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 21 2006,08:33)

Don't feel bad..... 36.2 in my yard this morning... Tomorrow is supposed to be even lower :(   ... But then again, this is New York and I guess I should expect it.

Guess I shouldn't complain, but dang!!! Going out sometime today and getting some firewood for the fireplace. Hadn't bought any yet, cause we typically don't get this cold so soon.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 21 2006,08:52)

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 21 2006,08:33)

Guess I shouldn't complain, but dang!!! Going out sometime today and getting some firewood for the fireplace. Hadn't bought any yet, cause we typically don't get this cold so soon.

Zone10Nut-

It looks like NWS is forecasting tonight to be colder than last night and Wednesday night perhaps will be similar :(

So, that firewood acquisition might be well timed.   I am sure our gas bill will be higher this month than last :D

I hate to be selfish, but I am hoping that the N/NW winds continue as they did last night as this will help my area.   The Gulf is apparently still warm enough to provide a notable warming of the air passing over it.

Larry 

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 21 2006,08:52)

Hadn't bought any yet, cause we typically don't get this cold so soon.

Zone10-

Yeah...too cold too early, especially for your area.  Up here, we can expect these fronts to hit us a tad sooner than down there.

I think West Palm Beach AP (which logged 41F this AM), might have gotten dang close to setting a record.

Larry 

I think West Palm Beach AP (which logged 41F this AM), might have gotten dang close to setting a record.

Are you serious, Larry?? 41f in WPB in November??... that's crazy... I have to call my friends down in Broward and see how they're coping..... When this happens, they usually stay indoors and won't go out.. And of course all of us up north are laughing our butts off at them.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 21 2006,08:59)

I can well believe. The wind has kicked up now that the sun is shining. It is a brilliant, crisp, cloudless day, but really chilly. I sometimes get that warming effect you're getting from the Gulf waters, off Lake Okeechobee, if  the wind direction is more NW than N, but in this case those benefiting from it are more south and West of me.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

I can well believe. The wind has kicked up now that the sun is shining. It is a brilliant, crisp, cloudless day, but really chilly. I sometimes get that warming effect you're getting from the Gulf waters, off Lake Okeechobee, if  the wind direction is more NW than N, but in this case those benefiting from it are more south and West of me

Yeah, we have the same type of day here (although colder). There is not a cloud in the sky, the sun is bright and my greenhouse is  82f right now...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 21 2006,09:16)

Are you serious, Larry?? 41f in WPB in November??... that's crazy... I have to call my friends down in Broward and see how they're coping..... When this happens, they usually stay indoors and won't go out.. And of course all of us up north are laughing our butts off at them.

Bobby,

I guess when you compare to where you are, it does seem crazy, but for us wimps, this KILLS us! The news here this morning was saying that shelters will be opening tonight for the homeless, as they anticipate it to be dangerously cold. Sounds like we might hit upper 30's. And you're right, we hole up inside until it blows over. Except me, I'll be out there with a hair dryer every hour or two warming up my palms!   I don't know, I may need therapy. :D

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 21 2006,09:26)

Except me, I'll be out there with a hair dryer every hour or two warming up my palms!   I don't know, I may need therapy. :D

Zone10-

If you saw my palm cold front "doomsday" preparations stored in my garage, youd feel normal with your hairdryer.

Larry 

Bobby,

I guess when you compare to where you are, it does seem crazy, but for us wimps, this KILLS us! The news here this morning was saying that shelters will be opening tonight for the homeless, as they anticipate it to be dangerously cold. Sounds like we might hit upper 30's. And you're right, we hole up inside until it blows over. Except me, I'll be out there with a hair dryer every hour or two warming up my palms!   I don't know, I may need therapy.  

No, I hear ya Larry... Believe me... 30's is cold to us too.. I was freezing this morning at 36f with my heavy jacket. My wife didn't even want to go to work... I would be flipping out right now if my palms weren't protected. I guess I rest a little easier because I have everything under cover...

No, you don't need therapy. You spend ALOT of time, money, and effort on your palms and because of one night , everything could just turn to mush. I'd be devastated. I'm really scared to go away on a vacation because what happens if my electricity goes off.. I'm looking right now to see if I can find battery backups (UPS) that will keep my heaters running in case that happens.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 21 2006,09:23)

I can well believe. The wind has kicked up now that the sun is shining. It is a brilliant, crisp, cloudless day, but really chilly. I sometimes get that warming effect you're getting from the Gulf waters, off Lake Okeechobee, if  the wind direction is more NW than N, but in this case those benefiting from it are more south and West of me

Yeah, we have the same type of day here (although colder). There is not a cloud in the sky, the sun is bright and my greenhouse is  82f right now...

Hey, at 82F I say we all go up to Bobby's greenhouse for a barbecue. Saturday O.K. Bobby?  :D

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 21 2006,09:32)

Except me, I'll be out there with a hair dryer every hour or two warming up my palms!   I don't know, I may need therapy. :D

Zone10-

If you saw my palm cold front "doomsday" preparations stored in my garage, youd feel normal with your hairdryer.

You mean I'm not the only one? I'm normal? I'm O.K.?  :D  :D  :D

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Hey, at 82F I say we all go up to Bobby's greenhouse for a barbecue. Saturday O.K. Bobby?  

C'mon up..... I even have the bamboo chair & the waterfall in there...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

The entire country is cold right now..... This doesn't look good.... too much cold air invading.... It's taking over... HELLLLPP...

post-57-1164120602_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 21 2006,09:42)

I'm really scared to go away on a vacation because what happens if my electricity goes off.. I'm looking right now to see if I can find battery backups (UPS) that will keep my heaters running in case that happens.

Bobby-

Youll need a generator for standby power for those heaters.  I fear any normally sized UPS system will be far too small to support the type of kW youll need.

Plus....you can also try and route the generator exhaust so as to try and utilize some of its heat  :D

Larry 

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 21 2006,09:50)

The entire country is cold right now..... This doesn't look good.... too much cold air invading.... It's taking over... HELLLLPP...

What that map doesn't tell you, is that we are going to be in the 75-80F range all week for highs.  By the way how do you post maps like that

Today: Sunny. High 69F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear. Low near 45F. Winds light and variable.

Tomorrow: Mainly sunny. High near 75F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Tomorrow night: Clear skies. Low 49F. Winds light and variable.

Thursday: Abundant sunshine. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 50s.

Friday: Mainly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the mid 50s.

Saturday: Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s.

post-4-1164121937_thumb.jpg

(ZoneTenNut @ Nov. 21 2006,09:45)

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 21 2006,09:32)

Zone10-

You mean I'm not the only one? I'm normal? I'm O.K.?  :D  :D  :D

Well....its too soon to commit to the "normal" designation, but well just settle on "slightly odd" as anyone who is drawn into this palm hobby must necessarily be :D

Larry 

Bobby-

Youll need a generator for standby power for those heaters.  I fear any normally sized UPS system will be far too small to support the type of kW youll need.

Plus....you can also try and route the generator exhaust so as to try and utilize some of its heat  

yeah, Larry... you're probably right... Most of those UPS's are for computers and rated at under 1500watts....  My small heaters are 1500-watts each, but my 220-volt heater is 5700.  

The only problem with a generator is how does it know to turn itself on only when the power goes out? do they have automatic starters that sense when there is a drop in voltage?

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

What that map doesn't tell you, is that we are going to be in the 75-80F range all week for highs.  By the way how do you post maps like that

It's easy Jim..... Just right click on the map (Weather.com), save it to a folder on your drive  and then insert it as an image.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 21 2006,10:43)

yeah, Larry... you're probably right... Most of those UPS's are for computers and rated at under 1500watts....  My small heaters are 1500-watts each, but my 220-volt heater is 5700.  

And, the run time even for a UPS unit "rated" to handle your wattage will be very short (like a few minutes).

Larry 

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 21 2006,10:43)

The only problem with a generator is how does it know to turn itself on only when the power goes out? do they have automatic starters that sense when there is a drop in voltage?

One can get into control systems that will do just that (start the genset upon commercial power failure).

But, in your case, it would be easier and cheaper to just note when your lights go out in the house (assuming you are home of course)  :D

In any case, even a basic genset, purchased solely for the purpose of protecting palms, will likely not be very cost effective.  It might be cheaper to just buy new palms.  I bought an 8kW continuous/ 13.5 kW surge genset last year (for power backup of the house in the event of a long term power outage) and it was $1300.  Youll probably need something at least that size (probably more) to run your various electric heaters.  Yo

Larry 

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 21 2006,10:44)

It's easy Jim..... Just right click on the map (Weather.com), save it to a folder on your drive  and then insert it as an image.

Let me try.  Thanksgiving Day Forecast.

post-4-1164125013_thumb.jpg

In any case, even a basic genset, purchased solely for the purpose of protecting palms, will likely not be very cost effective.  It might be cheaper to just buy new palms.  I bought an 8kW continuous/ 13.5 kW surge genset last year (for power backup of the house in the event of a long term power outage) and it was $1300.  Youll probably need something at least that size (probably more) to run your various electric heaters.  

Actually, that's not too bad.. Might be worth it.. My total collection of palms are probably way more than $1300.00 - and it's not all about the money for me... heck, if that was the case, I'd just treat them as annuals and replant new ones every year.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 21 2006,11:38)

In any case, even a basic genset, purchased solely for the purpose of protecting palms, will likely not be very cost effective.  It might be cheaper to just buy new palms.  I bought an 8kW continuous/ 13.5 kW surge genset last year (for power backup of the house in the event of a long term power outage) and it was $1300.  Youll probably need something at least that size (probably more) to run your various electric heaters.  

Actually, that's not too bad.. Might be worth it.. My total collection of palms are probably way more than $1300.00 - and it's not all about the money for me... heck, if that was the case, I'd just treat them as annuals and replant new ones every year.

Yes...we can get attached to our palms cant we  :D

I draw the line somewhere between "I cant believe I am putting this much $ and effort into keeping these palms alive with my doomsday preparations" and "I am a fool for planting these things."

Larry 

OK, it is now OK to cry about the weather, though this event ain't the one, I will no longer be raising the chicken little alarm when worrisome cold talk starts.

This is pretty crappy, the sky looked like Cleveland in (any month you - choose) and, gasp; as if it might SNOW.  The NWS had hinted at such and I was looking for the conditions and they did come, pretty neat.  No snow, or flurries, at the ground anyway.  It has happened before, and wouldn't be the  most harmful thing to fall from the sky (meteors- that would the worst) but I would rather not see it.  I hope this winter does not end up like the 2000-2001 winter with cold cold nights (above freezing) for almost 2 weeks(?).  It was crappy.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a