IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Thread

Neofolis

Summary for November thus far---

Maximums and minimums

Maximum temperature: +86.9 °F at 12:29:00 on 01 November

Minimum temperature: +57.2 °F at 07:08:00 on 10 November

Maximum humidity: 98 % at 08:08:00 on 10 November

Minimum humidity: 26 % at 14:32:00 on 05 November

Maximum dew point: +70 °F at 08:31:00 on 02 November

Minimum dew point: +42.8 °F at 14:23:00 on 05 November

Minimum wind chill: +48.2 °F at 04:41:00 on 04 November

Maximum heat index: +89.8 °F at 12:29:00 on 01 November

Maximum barometric pressure: 30.21 In.Hg at 10:22:00 on 05 November

Minimum barometric pressure: 29.65 In.Hg at 16:22:00 on 07 November

Maximum wind gust: 26.6 MPH from 219° at 14:58:00 on 07 November

Maximum indoor temperature: +79 °F at 15:32:00 on 10 November

Minimum indoor temperature: +73.4 °F at 06:22:00 on 02 November

------------------------------------------------------------

Averages

Average temperature: +71 °F

Average maximum temperature: +79.6 °F

Average minimum temperature: +62.3 °F

Average humidity: 66 %

Average maximum humidity: 91 %

Average minimum humidity: 41 %

Average dew point: +57.5 °F

Average maximum dew point: +64.2 °F

Average minimum dew point: +50.8 °F

Average minimum wind chill: +57.6 °F

Average maximum heat index: +80.6 °F

Average barometric pressure: 29.9 In.Hg

Average maximum barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average minimum barometric pressure: 29.9 In.Hg

Average indoor temperature: +75.7 °F

Average maximum indoor temperature: +77.4 °F

Average minimum indoor temperature: +74.1 °F

------------------------------------------------------------

Rainfall summary:

(Entries are for the 24 hours Midnight to Midnight on the indicated dates)

3rd November - (0.04 In.)

7th November - (1.18 In.)

Number of rainfall days: 2

Maximum rainfall rate: 10.35 In./hour at 14:59:00 on 07 November

Total rainfall for November: 1.22 In.

Days Since Rain: 3

Last rainfall amount: 1.18 In.

Average of daily peak wind gusts: 15.3 MPH

Average of daily peak wind gust direction: 199°

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Daily temps---

DATE MONTH MAX MIN

1 November 86.9 65.8

2 November 80.1 65.1

3 November 81 59.9

4 November 80.2 59.2

5 November 81.9 61

6 November 81.1 64.6

7 November 77.9 65.7

8 November 73 66.2

9 November 74.8 58.6

10 November 79 57.2

Larry 

(Wal @ Nov. 10 2006,22:16)

Brilliant here, just simply wonderful, recent rain, more coming next week, lovely warm days, ah, why would you live anywhere else.

Brilliantday.jpg

wal

What a beautiful sight   :P  Splendid garden  :cool:

Larry

You're making us work [gota get your setup]  :D

Daily Temps/Rain

November 06

1] 74/55 0.00

2] 78/58 0.00

3] 72/59 0.00

4] 79/59 0.00

5] 90/63 0.00

6] 94/67 0.00

7] 97/71 0.00

8] 87/66 0.00

9] 78/60 0.00

10] 83/57 0.00

Aver Hi : 83

Aver Lo : 61

Aver Mean : 72

Rainfall

Month : 0.00

Rain Year : [jul-jun] : 0.05

Copious storms over the PacificNW & some flooding.  Down here hills are dry/dead undergrowth waiting/looking for some rainfall  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Novemember has started off cool, and I dont see any end in site. Temps have been in the upper 50's and 60's in teh day and at night its been in the upper 30's and 40's. We are having some rain, thats a good thing.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Pretty decent here... 68f/day, 52f/night... Not forecasted to go below 50f/night for the next 10 days

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 11 2006,18:01)

Pretty decent here... 68f/day, 52f/night... Not forecasted to go below 50f/night for the next 10 days

On Thursday we're supposed to hit the 40`s for the first time. But as always, come Thursday and they'll adjust it to 50 or above at the last minute.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

We are having another few incredibly mild nights.  Yesterday the night time temperature did not drop below 14°C/57°F and last night it was 12°C/54°F.  The seasonal average would be 3°C/37°F.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Neofolis @ Nov. 14 2006,01:44)

We are having another few incredibly mild nights.  Yesterday the night time temperature did not drop below 14°C/57°F

Sheesh, that's about the same as it was here!  Night before last, got down to about (brrrrr) 58F.  

It certainly is (would be) nicer gardening weather when it's cooler - you don't get so exhausted as from working in the sweltering heat.  But it's so hard to get going on a cool morning.

Keeping my latest treasures in pots - I still think we'll have at least one bad cold snap.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Sunny-

A chilly 54.7F up here in the "North Pinellas tundra" this AM!

The next few nights are forecast to stay in ther 60's, then over the weekend, depending on which forecast is to be believed, well either stay in the 50's or drop into the upper 40's for overnight lows.

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 14 2006,07:07)

Keeping my latest treasures in pots - I still think we'll have at least one bad cold snap.

I am living in denial and will continue to do so until I smell rotting plants.

Larry 

Still fairly warm here.... Low-mid 60's/day, and around 52-55f/night..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Was quite cool this morning. Almost made it into the upper 40's this morning (and this would not have been the first time this year!). Had 50.5 F as a low this morning. Just when I start to doubt the validity of my readings, all I have to do is look at all of the FAWN sites around central Florida (Tampa to Orlando area anyway) and realize that most registered mid to upper 40's as lows at the 6 foot level. If I look at it this way, I guess I live in a warmer spot for inland central FL....still no where as good as anywhere in Pinellas or in urban heat island areas, but still not too bad. By the way Bobby, I think you may have a warmer average low than me this month so far!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 14 2006,08:56)

Sunny-

A chilly 54.7F up here in the "North Pinellas tundra" this AM!

The next few nights are forecast to stay in ther 60's, then over the weekend, depending on which forecast is to be believed, well either stay in the 50's or drop into the upper 40's for overnight lows.

Well that's reassuring, isn't it - that we're getting the same overnight lows as the UK.  :D  Brrrr....

I also heard the possibility that we might see some 40's by this weekend.  No, I do not like that one bit.  

Larry, did you see the hazardous wx statement this morning - wicked winds forecast for Wednesday night, but this evening, I see no mention of it.  Wondering if we're off the hook - or if we'll be bringing the potted guys indoors.  Hm. ???

St. Pete

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 14 2006,19:15)

Just when I start to doubt the validity of my readings, all I have to do is look at all of the FAWN sites around central Florida (Tampa to Orlando area anyway) and realize that most registered mid to upper 40's as lows at the 6 foot level.

Absolutely!

There are a couple of FAWN stations not all that far from you (Balm and Dover) an they recorded 46 and 50F respectively.

These stations seem to mostly be in rural areas and give the readings folks in similar areas are likely to see.

And, if you want to see some real nasty shiznit......just watch the FAWN stations like Marianna, Monticello, etc up father north.  They have been in the 30's already this year.

Larry 

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 14 2006,19:15)

If I look at it this way, I guess I live in a warmer spot for inland central FL....still no where as good as anywhere in Pinellas or in urban heat island areas, but still not too bad.

Also...I am sure you are warmer than many parts of Pinellas, especially the areas in the extreme NW part of the county.

So, what you have to stop doing is looking at the Albert Whitted readings!  Then...youll feel better!  That station makes us all feel like crap!  LOL.

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 14 2006,21:17)

Larry, did you see the hazardous wx statement this morning - wicked winds forecast for Wednesday night, but this evening, I see no mention of it.  

I heard that the next front would be coming in quickly......but maybe its speed of approach has slowed?

Larry 

Hey Florida guys...

how is it possible that, in November, your nighttime lows are lower than ours.... The only time I see that happen is in mid summer when we get a heat wave and the night temps stay in the mid 80's.... Very strange for november.... 11:00am here right now and 62f...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Cool nights & mild days = nothing to get excited over   ???

More wind tomorrow but still no rain   :(

LA : 74/60

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 14 2006,21:42)

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 14 2006,21:17)

Larry, did you see the hazardous wx statement this morning - wicked winds forecast for Wednesday night, but this evening, I see no mention of it.  

I heard that the next front would be coming in quickly......but maybe its speed of approach has slowed?

Maybe they didn't have a good handle on it last night.  This morning, they've got the hazardous statement up again for tonight & tomorrow morning.  Seems as if the front will move in quickly, as you said.

Strong cold front with damaging winds.   I'll listen again this afternoon - may have to bring the potted guys in.  Wind can be terrible for plants.  Larry, the wind will probably be a bit worse where you are.

St. Pete

Parts of the UK may have been competing with parts of Florida in terms of low temps for the past few days, but bare in mind, firstly, that our days have been no hotter than the nights and secondly, that Thursday to Sunday are all forecast to go down to 2°C/36°F.  Not to mention having already seen -5°C/23°F near the beginning of the month.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Corey/Guys

My temps here have been fantasti and to date have been frost free which is very unusual.

I dont record everything down to a fraction of a degree cos it would probably drive me madder than I am now.

I am having trouble on the internet so I hope this makes sense?

The guys next door are leaving and so a detached house (No 35) is available for a mere £425,000 and you will be living next door to a genius ie. ME, so a nice palmy outlook is guaranteed!

Regardez

Juan

Address can be found in IPS Members Green Book.

Juan

Parts of the UK may have been competing with parts of Florida in terms of low temps for the past few days, but bare in mind, firstly, that our days have been no hotter than the nights and secondly, that Thursday to Sunday are all forecast to go down to 2°C/36°F.  Not to mention having already seen -5°C/23°F near the beginning of the month.

I think we've been having similar weather to you, Corey...... Mid 60'sf/day and mid 50'sf/night... We're supposed to drop about 10f this weekend... Still keeping it in the mid 40's at night which is above normal for us now. November has been frost-free so far.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Unusualy warm November which has been great for my palms but so far bad for the ski season which looks like will be off to a slow start.  

Over the last 18 days since I started making a log of highs and lows with my little 3-sensor radio shack remote weather station which has been pretty accurate the average high has been 82.8 and the average night time low has been 54.9.  

This mornings low was 54.3 and the high today was 87.1 with low to mid 80's forcasted untill at least next Tuesday.  I'm not going to complain, just enjoy it while it lasts.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I agree with you, Don

So long as the winds stay low I don't mind the heat particularly with dew points/relative humidity  below 30.  More watering though  :(

Topped 90F in several areas around Los Angeles.  No rain on the horizon  :o

LA : 87/59

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I hear you happ.  It's the winds that seem to do the most damage.  So far pretty calm this year exept for one or two days.  Let's hope it stays that way.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

(SunnyFl @ Nov. 15 2006,06:46)

Strong cold front with damaging winds.   I'll listen again this afternoon - may have to bring the potted guys in.  Wind can be terrible for plants.  Larry, the wind will probably be a bit worse where you are.

At 10PM winds are from the dead south at 7-8 mph (with gusts to 14-15 mph), the dewpoint is 70F, and the temp is 76F.

Ah....if things were this way all the time.....

Larry 

But alas....we are in for a rude awakening starting tomorrow into some well below normal temps......

forecast1.jpg

Larry 

And we are about to get a nice treat shortly......That circled crosshair on the map is my house so its not far off!

rain1.jpg

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 15 2006,22:16)

And we are about to get a nice treat shortly......That circled crosshair on the map is my house so its not far off!

Hope you're okay - we took a pounding here, but I'm sure it was worse to our north.  We managed to bring most of the potted guys in - the larger ones were left outside.  A new morrisii had a frond ripped off by the wind.

A pretty strong storm - the thunder woke me up early and I peeked outside.   Vivid lightning and sheets of lateral rain - the winds were so strong.  And it felt very warm.  Still does, but I guess the colder temps aren't far behind.

Thank goodness we were spared what the other gulf states got!

St. Pete

Not too bad up here...the rain was most welcomed.    We actually got less rain here than locations just a few miles south.  I see that the Tampa and Clearwater AP's got

north of 1.5", while my station logged less than an inch.

The winds were also not that bad.  I think the peak gust logged on my station was 21 mph and that was yesterday afternoon.

Larry 

I see alot of cold weather filtering in next week... :(

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I see alot of cold weather filtering in next week...

We may get a freeze on Sunday and Monday according to Weather.com.  But it's predicted to warm up a bit for the Thanksgiving weekend.  Although it's predicted to rain on Thanksgiving.  Not sure if I'd prefer dry and cold, or warmer and rainy.  Hmmm.  There's nothing too brutal in the forseeable future yet though.

It rained all day yesterday, and it was pretty windy last night.  My wife had a couple of potted mums that blew over, and the cats food dish was in the neighbor's yard this morning.  Nothing big though.  There were some severe storms South and West of us that thankfully missed my place.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

We may get a freeze on Sunday and Monday according to Weather.com.  But it's predicted to warm up a bit for the Thanksgiving weekend.  Although it's predicted to rain on Thanksgiving.  Not sure if I'd prefer dry and cold, or warmer and rainy.  Hmmm.  There's nothing too brutal in the forseeable future yet though.

It rained all day yesterday, and it was pretty windy last night.  My wife had a couple of potted mums that blew over, and the cats food dish was in the neighbor's yard this morning.  Nothing big though.  There were some severe storms South and West of us that thankfully missed my place.

It's interesting, Steve.. Your night lows for the next 10 days are about 5-10f colder than us, but your daytime highs are about 5f higher.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

This map tells all... Current US temps... We're about to get invaded from the west....

post-57-1163694610_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

It's interesting, Steve.. Your night lows for the next 10 days are about 5-10f colder than us, but your daytime highs are about 5f higher.

Bobby,

You guys are on average a little warmer than us for the overnight low until about mid-November.  I wouldn't have thought that, but the Ocean sure does have a tempering effect.

I'm heading up to Young Harris, GA this afternoon through tomorrow for our annual company meeting.  It's on the North Carolina & Tennesse borders, and is right by the highest mountain in GA.  I just checked the forecast there.  There's a chance of snow tonight.  If it's gonna be near freezing with precipitation, I'd like to see a little snow.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

I'm heading up to Young Harris, GA this afternoon through tomorrow for our annual company meeting.  It's on the North Carolina & Tennesse borders, and is right by the highest mountain in GA.  I just checked the forecast there.  There's a chance of snow tonight.  If it's gonna be near freezing with precipitation, I'd like to see a little snow

Yeah, I like a little snow too.. it really is pretty.. Especially at christmas time... But after Jan 1st, I'd reallly like it to go back to being 82/70f respectively.....lol

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Still hoping the cold goes north of me.....sorry guys. Just hugging the coast down here and praying for summer.

David

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Looks like we are going to be getting the seasons first real wave of cooler weather in south florida. By first of next week, forecasts call for mid to upper 60's for highs and upper 40's to low 50's for low. BRRRRRRRRR! November has been very warm overall with low to mid 80's mostly. This has been great, as it has given extra growing time for the landscape to recover from Wilma damage. Sure could use some of the rain others are getting though. Dry as a bone here. Putting 10,000 gallons a day on the lawn.  :)

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Might be close to the upper 30's for the first time this season come Monday night.  It is supposed to be 43 F for my zip code and it has proven many times this year to get colder than forcast in my little plot of land  :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 16 2006,20:19)

Might be close to the upper 30's for the first time this season come Monday night.  It is supposed to be 43 F for my zip code and it has proven many times this year to get colder than forcast in my little plot of land  :)

Yes.....icky forecast for the next week!  Look at those highs barely cracking 60F  :(

Today

Nov 17  Sunny

70°/48° 0%  

70°F

Sat

Nov 18  Sunny

71°/47° 0%  

71°F

Sun

Nov 19  Sunny

71°/47° 10%  

71°F