IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Thread

Neofolis

I have my gauges just outside the front door, under an eve, and in the shade.  Today at noon it read 77° and 25% humidity.

-Ron-

Hmmm, I just checked weather.com for Spring Valley at 2:30pm and it is says 87° and 16% humidity.

Warm day for a November 5th.

-Ron-

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

(happ @ Nov. 05 2006,17:15)

Neofolis

Where is the thermometer(s) located.  Wind helps circulate low layer cold air & warm it.  You could even install a wind machine.   :P

The thermometer is situated in what I believe to be the coldest part of the garden, which is a shady corner, furthest from the house and only about 300mm/12" above ground level.  Saying it's the corner furthest from the house, it's still probably less than 3m/10' from the house.  It is also only about 1.8m/6' from my heated polytunnel, which may also influence the temperature, especially now I have a potted Phoenix canariensis in the same corner, which basically takes up all of the space between the polytunnel and the boundary fence.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Got 94f here today and last night went down to 59f.  I have 3 thermometers stationed in my yard in different places just to see how location in yard can effect the temp.  One is in an open area which is the one that registered 94.8 degrees today while the others are in more sheltered areas and they registered 86.7 and 87.1 degrees.  The open area usually register a little lower at night.  Last nights reading for the unsheltered area was 57.4 while the other areas were 59.5 and 58.5 degrees.  Currently at 5:30 pm it is 82 degrees.  At this rate our growing season may be 10 months this year.

Don

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Don

Right. There are micro cold pockets in every garden.  My location faces southwest on a hilltop. Air flow is primarily descending.  All the hills are under 1000' above sharp canyons but 5 miles from the San Gabriel mts.  That distance mitigates santa ana wind to generally light speeds.

Some areas exceeded 95 degrees today :

Woodland Hills 97

Anaheim 97

Camarillo 96

Minimums above 70 in most favored micro climates of the western Hollywood hills.   :cool:

Nation will have mild week before big cool down occurs later in the month   :(

LA : 95/67

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Lowest of fall so far has been 44F for me.  Avg high is now 75F.  Supposed to be above normal for the forseeable future.  Extended forecast calls for highs mainly in 80s, lows mainly in 60s:

Today: Sunny, with a high near 85. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest.

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 55. Southwest wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 87. South southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Wednesday Night: Clear, with a low around 62. South southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 87. South wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday Night: A 10 percent chance of light rain after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 10 mph.

Friday: A slight chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after noon. Partly cloudy, with a high near 87. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 63. South southeast wind around 10 mph becoming north.

Veteran's Day: A 20 percent chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high near 79. North wind around 10 mph becoming east.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 49.

Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 77.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63.

Monday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 80.

(syersj @ Nov. 07 2006,11:12)

Supposed to be above normal for the forseeable future.  

Id say so!  Those are fantastic temps for this time of year.

We are not forecast for such abnormals....looks pretty much on average in so far as the forecasts can predict.

I like purely average weather as the up and down extremes trouble me.  It seems like so many times when we get days that are too warm....they are followed by days that are too cold!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

We're actually on tap for some decent weather for the next week. Not warm by TX or FL standards, but ok for NY for this time of year

Tue  - Hi 61, low 50

Wed - Hi 62, low 51

Thu  - Hi  70, low 54

Fri    - Hi  66, low 50

Sat  - Hi   64, low 52

Sun - Hi   63, low 49

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 07 2006,11:20)

(syersj @ Nov. 07 2006,11:12)

Supposed to be above normal for the forseeable future.  

Id say so!  Those are fantastic temps for this time of year.

We are not forecast for such abnormals....looks pretty much on average in so far as the forecasts can predict.

I like purely average weather as the up and down extremes trouble me.  It seems like so many times when we get days that are too warm....they are followed by days that are too cold!

Yeah, I love it.  I like to put off any cool weather as long as possible.  Actually 80s in Nov is not really that abnormal for us.  Average is mid 70s, with PLENTY of 80s.  We get 80s every month of the year including January (at least 2-4 or so) in Jan.  Last Jan we averaged 73F with 5 80F days and 22 70F or higher days.  The rest were in the 60s, except ONE day in the 50s.  Of course, last year was extremely warm everyone knows that, but it can get warm/hot any month of the year.  I think Nov, Dec, and Jan are the only months we haven't seen a 100F temp.

What is the average for Tampa this time of year, upper 70s to 80F??

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 07 2006,13:55)

We're actually on tap for some decent weather for the next week. Not warm by TX or FL standards, but ok for NY for this time of year

Tue  - Hi 61, low 50

Wed - Hi 62, low 51

Thu  - Hi  70, low 54

Fri    - Hi  66, low 50

Sat  - Hi   64, low 52

Sun - Hi   63, low 49

Bobby those are actually pretty nice and mild temps.  60s and 70s are nice, anything colder than that I can't stand.

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 07 2006,13:55)

Tue  - Hi 61, low 50

Wed - Hi 62, low 51

Thu  - Hi  70, low 54

Fri    - Hi  66, low 50

Sat  - Hi   64, low 52

Sun - Hi   63, low 49

I would not complain about those temps in November!

Larry 

(syersj @ Nov. 07 2006,13:59)

What is the average for Tampa this time of year, upper 70s to 80F??

Average Highs

Tarpon Springs

Nov1 - 81.7F

Nov 30 - 76.7F

Avg for month - 79.2F

Tampa AP

Nov 1 - 81.0F

Nov 30 - 75.8F

Avg for month - 78.4F

The tapering off of temps in November slows over that of October.  Something similar happens through the rest of winter.

This is really what makes FL different than many other areas.  Its not until real winter hits that the averages are drastically different.

Larry 

Bobby those are actually pretty nice and mild temps.  60s and 70s are nice, anything colder than that I can't stand

Yeah, and the good thing about it is that my greenhouses are staying roughly 5-10f warmer so the thermostats turn off all the heaters and I save $$$$

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Yeah, temps for me bottom out around the 15th of Jan and then start swinging back up.  For me I bottom out around 62F in mid Jan, back up to 65 by end of Jan and back up to low 70sF on average in late Feb.  I think you guys bottom out in the low 70s and by Feb/Mar are back in mid-upper 70s (if I remember correctly).

For Tarpon Springs, the average historically coldest day is Jan 18th at 71.1F.  The average high starts going up again (by a tenth or two a day)from there.

Larry 

For Tarpon Springs, the average historically coldest day is Jan 18th at 71.1F.  The average high starts going up again (by a tenth or two a day)from there

Must be nice... :) ...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 07 2006,14:38)

For Tarpon Springs, the average historically coldest day is Jan 18th at 71.1F.  The average high starts going up again (by a tenth or two a day)from there

Must be nice... :) ...

I dont mind it.

Except for the periodic cold fronts you fail to contain up there when someone leaves the refrigerator door open :D

Larry 

Except for the periodic cold fronts you fail to contain up there when someone leaves the refrigerator door open  

Hey don't blame us...... it's Canada's fault. :) ...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Checked weather.com for Spring Valley at 1:15m and it says 92° and 9% humidity.  One week into November...this is ridiculous.

-Ron-

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quite hot and windy with scattered wild fires = a disaster   :o   But good news is just a day away with real cooling & possible marine layer.  

Few areas 100+ today :

LOS ANGELES COUNTY

GETTY CENTER :   94 /  78      

LAX :   93 /  65 :

DOWNTOWN/USC :   97 /  65

MALIBU :   76 /  66      

SANTA MONICA PIER:   81 /  70      

UCLA :   93 /  75

CHATSWORTH :   100 /  66

NORTHRIDGE :   97 /  68      

WOODLAND HILLS :  101 /  56    

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Jen, I heard there were twisters in Central FL last night.  Nothing major, but still  :o

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

It is forecasted to bottom out at 54ºF. Not bad at all...

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

(happ @ Nov. 08 2006,00:36)

Thats when you know its hot!

Ive been on that pier at least a dozen times in every season and have rarely not desired a jacket.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 08 2006,21:35)

(happ @ Nov. 08 2006,00:36)

Thats when you know its hot!

Ive been on that pier at least a dozen times in every season and have rarely not desired a jacket.

Right

Out over the ocean, the pier station often resembles the water temp.  You know the land to ocean flow is strong = 70F minimum   :P   20% humidity.  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

November is also to warm for the time of year, just like october ... I don;t have any forst yet. Last night the tempeture don't go lower then 9.8C/49F.

The gives tempetures for the hole week by day between the 11-14C/52-57F and night tempetures between the 5-7C/41-45F. We get some sun, some rain ....

I don't have give my exotics protection at all. I go protect plants if the expect really cold ... and for now i don't look like it's gonna be cold ... Let's go for a mild winter :D

Southwest

We could get one last taste of summer here tomorrow.  It's supposed to be close to 80F (27C).  Today is nice as well.  It's supposed to top out around 75F (24C).  We're at 71F as of 1:00 pm.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

74f here at 2:00pm... WHOOOHOOOO

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 09 2006,14:36)

Good for people...bad for palms!

Consensus seems to be that a consistently cool period before winter (i.e. a "hardening off" period") results in tougher plants.

I believe warmth before some of the bad cold fronts that have hit FL were blamed for a good part of the damage seen.

Larry 

Consensus seems to be that a consistently cool period before winter (i.e. a "hardening off" period") results in tougher plants.

I believe warmth before some of the bad cold fronts that have hit FL were blamed for a good part of the damage seen.

Really, Larry.. that's interesting... I would've thought that the more "Good" days a palm has, the better for it, but maybe it's a case of hardening off, sort of like preparing for the worst..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 09 2006,14:45)

Larry

You present an interesting question.  Does a gradual but long cool season "toughen" palms/subtropicals for a freeze?   Scary thought   :o   South Florida/Texas consistently warm winters abruptly interrupted by sub-freezing temps recover faster than a freeze in California.  

Nice cool down today & tonight will dip into the 50; great sleeping weather   :D

LA : 78/62

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Nov. 09 2006,21:58)

Larry

You present an interesting question.  Does a gradual but long cool season "toughen" palms/subtropicals for a freeze?   Scary thought   :o   South Florida/Texas consistently warm winters abruptly interrupted by sub-freezing temps recover faster than a freeze in California.  

Nice cool down today & tonight will dip into the 50; great sleeping weather   :D

That's why they can grow cocos in the RGV of TX (and South and central FL) and not SoCal, imho.  70-80F weather is never more than a couple days away even with the coldest of cold fronts.  Plus an extremely long hot, humid growing season. (the Texas coast gets just as humid as FL)  Well that's what I have heard/think, but what do I know.

It looks like the rainy season has arrived to Amazonas.  It is cool and raining heavily right now.  I would say around 75 F. Here is the next few days outlook for our winter weather.

Nov10.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

That's why they can grow cocos in the RGV of TX (and South and central FL) and not SoCal, imho.  70-80F weather is never more than a couple days away even with the coldest of cold fronts.  Plus an extremely long hot, humid growing season. (the Texas coast gets just as humid as FL)  Well that's what I have heard/think, but what do I know.

Jim,

I totally agree with that theory - ESPECIALLY for Cocos which really isn't happy unless it's hot AND humid... I think with the case of Cali it might also be the lack of humidity with those. My cocos grew really well during the summer when we had our most humid days here, conversely, the washies hate the humidity and pushed out more spears when it was drier.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(happ @ Nov. 09 2006,21:58)

Larry

What I believe the theory is based on is not related to long cool winters.  It is based on the absence of abnormal heat (which causes plants to grow too actively).  

In the case of FL, if the normal highs / lows are say 70-75 / 50-55, and there is a week of 80-85F highs which preceeds a cold front, if that cold night hits, then perhaps the plants will be more damaged than they would have been if the normal temperatures had preceeded the cold front.

Larry 

In the case of FL, if the normal highs / lows are say 70-75 / 50-55, and there is a week of 80-85F highs which preceeds a cold front, if that cold night hits, then perhaps the plants will be more damaged than they would have been if the normal temperatures had preceeded the cold front.

That makes total sense, Larry.... because they go into "summer Mode" as opposed to a semi-dormant state.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Definitely temperature has a major role.  Warm winters sustain growth even if it is wet.  El Nino nights are mild so even saturated soil isn't too cold.  But average winters include some storms spinning directly out of the Gulf of Alaska.  Unless the subtropical jet is nearby the rainfall is minimal but cold.  Snow levels can drop to 2000' & maximums in the 50's.  Once the front passes the air behind it is iccy; lowest minimums of the year occur, sometimes below 40F  [e.g. recorded 38F this past March].

Winter temps are fairly warm [Dec/Jan/Feb max : 70] & santa ana 80's [LA has observed 90F every month of the year historically].  

Both Brownsville & Miami are fairly humid [actually quite comfortable  :cool: ] but dry during winter & record many nights above 60-70 that one would expect at 26N latitude.  Warm nights in Cali are primarily in the windy areas.  Windless translates into 40's.  :(   The saving grace for So.California is the relative lack of direct  arctic air. Rockies/Sierra serve as a block.  An advance of polar air invariably occurs over water.  The Pacific is cold [often below 60F Santa Monica bay ] but greatly modifies the air mass.  Last frost was 1990.

Very little dies but rather languish in the chilly nights & wet ground.  No way a coconut will thrive; survive, perhaps but look anemic.   :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Nov. 10 2006,11:28)

Both Brownsville & Miami are fairly humid [actually quite comfortable  :cool: ] but dry during winter & record many nights above 60-70 that one would expect at 26N latitude.  

Correct, take the stats for last winter for example.

Brownsville averages, winter 05-06

Dec 05:  Hi 72.4  Low 52.5; 6 nights above 60F (many others in upper 50s).  11 Days above 80F.

Jan 06: Hi 76.1  Low 54.0 10 nights above 60F. 10 Days above 80F

Feb 06: Hi 76.2  Low 52.4.  8 nights above 60F, 14 Days above 80, 2 above 90F.

0 Frosts/Freezes.  Less than 2.5 inches of rain during winter.

Not a SoCal Weather expert, but I doubt they would ever have a winter that is overall as warm (not just in short stretches, but overall.  I know they get warm during Santa Anas.

Correct, take the stats for last winter for example.

Brownsville averages, winter 05-06

Dec 05:  Hi 72.4  Low 52.5; 6 nights above 60F (many others in upper 50s).  11 Days above 80F.

Jan 06: Hi 76.1  Low 54.0 10 nights above 60F. 10 Days above 80F

Feb 06: Hi 76.2  Low 52.4.  8 nights above 60F, 14 Days above 80, 2 above 90F.

0 Frosts/Freezes.  Less than 2.5 inches of rain during winter.

Not a SoCal Weather expert, but I doubt they would ever have a winter that is overall as warm (not just in short stretches, but overall.  I know they get warm during Santa Anas.

--------------

Jim

Agree with your statement.  Reveals major weakness of the USDA system.  Frostless does not just mean tropical.  In no other way does San Francisco compare to Key West   :P  

Thanks for the stat's.  Details  :D  

Palm Springs/El Centro/Yuma/Phoenix closest to So.Texas minus RH/rainfall & more likely to experience a freeze.    :o

LA : 84/58

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Brilliant here, just simply wonderful, recent rain, more coming next week, lovely warm days, ah, why would you live anywhere else.

Brilliantday.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.