IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November Thread

Neofolis

After a warm October, this morning it was 2°C/36°F, but many places were predicting a freeze here, so I guess I should be happy with that.  It is probably the end of the growing season for this year, although it will be interesting to see if my Musa sikkimensis stops straight away, as it has still been growing at a reasonable speed until now.  We are forecast sub zero temperatures for the next two nights, so I would be surprised to see anymore growth, especially as the daytime temperatures are also supposed to be quite low.

I mulched most of the outside plants yesterday, due to the forecast, so hopefully everything will cope OK, although it may come as a bit of a shock to the system for them, with the weather having been so mild, prior to this cold spell.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

last night only went down to 59f for a low here and today is forecast to 70f.... but it's all downhill by the weekend.. We'll be in the 50's for a high and the mid  - upper 30's for a low. We're getting that cold blast that dropped Seattle down to 29f..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

It rained last night (Halloween night). Doesn't sound so to exciting  but this was one of the first decent rains in about 6 weeks.

Besides that all is normal  for S FL. Nothing to note.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Its a warm start to November here as its already over 86F in my yard at noontime.  Interior sections of the area (away from water) have run to 90F.

By weekend, another cold front is set to arrive and drop temps down below normal and into the mid-upper 70's by day and mid-upper 50's by night.  Great people weather......but slow palm growing weather.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

70 F at 0500 this morning as I drove to prison, I mean work.  Dark when I got there, dark when I left.  

The point was, November 1, 2006 @ 0500 it was ~70F.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

(Neofolis @ Nov. 01 2006,04:28)

After a warm October, this morning it was 2°C/36°F, but many places were predicting a freeze here, so I guess I should be happy with that.  It is probably the end of the growing season for this year, although it will be interesting to see if my Musa sikkimensis stops straight away, as it has still been growing at a reasonable speed until now.  We are forecast sub zero temperatures for the next two nights, so I would be surprised to see anymore growth, especially as the daytime temperatures are also supposed to be quite low.

I mulched most of the outside plants yesterday, due to the forecast, so hopefully everything will cope OK, although it may come as a bit of a shock to the system for them, with the weather having been so mild, prior to this cold spell.

"sub zero temperatures"

Thankfully you are talking Celsius not Fahrenheit   :P

As BobbyNY wrote: sub-freezing temps in Seattle at 48N latitude.   :(   Very early-season cold.  Hope its momentary.  

Recorded the coldest minimum of autumn.

LA : 74/55

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Very warm for the 1st of November over here.

My station logged 86.9F for the high.

Tampa AP looks to have logged 90F, Clearwater AP 86F, and St. Petersburg only 84F.

Those lucky buggars inland (Orlando) had highs only in the middle 70's as they got some nice (and much needed) rain.  We got zippo over here, so its sprinklers tonight!

Larry 

Larry

What is the average November Max & Min for Tarpon Springs?

Cools down noticeably in LA & is essentially the start of the cool season.  Average Nov Hi: 74F/23C Average Lo: 55/12C. Exactly what it was today.  Now we wait for rain   :P  

Will begin to warm up this weekend.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Fantastic day today in central FL as others have said. Nice way to start November. Probably 88-90 F here for a high starting from the mid 60's to 70 depending on how close to the water you are. Puffy white clouds with gray bottoms coming form the northeast that almost made some rain. Great palm growing weather after a somewhat chilly October. Looks like a weak (I hope) cold front will be pushing through the area by the weekend and move night time temps back into the upper 50's to low 60's for most areas with highs probably still reaching the low 80's. I hope it stays this way for awhile as my bottle palms actually still seem to be pushing and opening fronds. I think the Bizzies have slowed down along with the V. Arecina. The Foxtails have slowed a bit, but all are still pushing and opening fronds. Adonidia has slowed but persists. The builder's Syaragus has been explosive the past couple of months and is becoming a monster (it really loves palm fertilizer I think).  No signs of slowing there yet.  Cocos too have slowed a bit but I am surprised that they are still growing as I have been into the 40's F a couple of times in October. The Archontos seem to like that the sun is at a lower angle and actually are looking pretty good. I planted some Archontophoenix Cunninghamia on the hottest, west facing wall this spring and they basicallly have been cooking all summer. They seem to appreciate the the season now as long as I keep them wet.  I guess the overall trend is one of slowing growth; to be expected.

Bill

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

What a great start to November.  7:00am this morning -4°C/25°F.  I think we were just about the coldest, low level place in the country.  On the plus side, my garden stayed just above 1°C/34°F, the joys of a very small, enclosed garden.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(happ @ Nov. 01 2006,23:15)

Larry

What is the average November Max & Min for Tarpon Springs?

Cools down noticeably in LA & is essentially the start of the cool season.  Average Nov Hi: 74F/23C Average Lo: 55/12C. Exactly what it was today.  Now we wait for rain   :P  

Will begin to warm up this weekend.

Happ -

According to the SERCC----

The average high/low for Nov 1 is 81.7F / 60.9F.

The average high/low for Nov 30 is 76.7F / 55.9F.

The same numbers for October are---

The average high/low for Oct 1 is 88.0F / 69.2F.

The average high/low for Oct 31 is 81.9F / 61.1F.

So, our "rate of drop" into winter time temps slows in November and the rate of change is more prevalent in October.

Larry 

(Dave Butler @ Nov. 02 2006,08:25)

I think most of us get the weather channel :angry:

Last I checked, they didnt have a station in my yard :D

Larry 

Miserable here today.. typical NY S@#t weather.... 55f for a high, droping down to 35f tonight.... same for the next 3 days.... Winter has arrived.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(happ @ Nov. 01 2006,21:44)

Recorded the coldest minimum of autumn.

LA : 74/55

Coldest here also, except it was just below 9C (48F) in my garden.  It seems like all those hilltops a few km south of me stay about 2-3C warmer than me for low temperatures in the winter, which is why it's time to move....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Here on the Piedmont, we're slated for highs near 60 the next few days. Wednesday or so, back up to about 70º.

I am headed to St.Augustine for the week of Thanksgiving. Mid-70s would be nice for walking around.

Los Niños y Los Borrachos siempre dicen la verdad.

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 02 2006,09:04)

\

According to the SERCC----

The average high/low for Nov 1 is 81.7F / 60.9F.

The average high/low for Nov 30 is 76.7F / 55.9F.

The same numbers for October are---

The average high/low for Oct 1 is 88.0F / 69.2F.

The average high/low for Oct 31 is 81.9F / 61.1F.

So, our "rate of drop" into winter time temps slows in November and the rate of change is more prevalent in October.

Interesting data   :P   There's similarity between our climates though Florida naturally is warmer.

Coastal foothills/LA >

OCTOBER 2006

Ave Max : 79.4  Normal Max : 83

Ave Min : 60.2  Normal Min : 62

Rainfall : 0.05

Rain Year total [July-Jun] : 0.05

elHoagie

Coldest here also, except it was just below 9C (48F) in my garden.  It seems like all those hilltops a few km south of me stay about 2-3C warmer than me for low temperatures in the winter, which is why it's time to move....

I know a guy who lives at 2000' - La Canada without frost because of strong winds.  Given the choice I'd prefer your location's cooler temps over damaging winds.  

alex_7b

Here on the Piedmont

Are you in Virginia or Oakland/Berkeley Hills?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 02 2006,09:06)

(Dave Butler @ Nov. 02 2006,08:25)

I think most of us get the weather channel :angry:

Last I checked, they didnt have a station in my yard :D

Or St. Pete at all.   Notice the only bay area temps are from Tampa  :P

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 01 2006,23:32)

my bottle palms actually still seem to be pushing and opening fronds. I think the Bizzies have slowed down along with the V. Arecina. The Foxtails have slowed a bit, but all are still pushing and opening fronds. Adonidia has slowed but persists. The builder's Syaragus has been explosive the past couple of months and is becoming a monster (it really loves palm fertilizer I think).  No signs of slowing there yet.  Cocos too have slowed a bit but I am surprised that they are still growing as I have been into the 40's F a couple of times in October. The Archontos seem to like that the sun is at a lower angle and actually are looking pretty good. I planted some Archontophoenix Cunninghamia on the hottest, west facing wall this spring and they basicallly have been cooking all summer. They seem to appreciate the the season now as long as I keep them wet.  I guess the overall trend is one of slowing growth; to be expected.

Bill

Sounds nice.  Maybe you can post some pics?

Mine are all pushing new fronds - my little spindle is little no longer.  It was a rocket this summer - I can now walk beneath its lowest frond - and I'm not short.  But something's Not Right - just about everything is needing a lot more fertilizer than ever, except the glauca which prefers to be left alone.

Also I've noticed this has been a bad year for fungies n' bugs.  I've found a couple of some borer-type wormy things and a bad outbreak of skeletonizer and had to treat everything with Bayer's.  Except the glauca.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Not happy.  After -4°C/25°F yesterday, the same time today it's -5°C/23°F and yet my back garden only just dropped below 2°C/36°F and was slightly warmer than yesterday.  Again, this seems to be the coldest place in the country, it's almost the coldest place in Europe.  I think the lack of wind, which is partly responsible for the low temperatures, is also what is allowing my garden to stay much warmer than the surrounding area.

Having never seen a temperature below -6°C/21°F here, this is quite a shock for early November.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(Neofolis @ Nov. 03 2006,02:55)

the same time today it's -5°C/23°F and yet my back garden only just dropped below 2°C/36°F .

Golly do I wish I had something like your back garden in mine!  A 13F rise over the "normal" temp!???!

Larry 

Not happy.  After -4°C/25°F yesterday, the same time today it's -5°C/23°F and yet my back garden only just dropped below 2°C/36°F and was slightly warmer than yesterday.  Again, this seems to be the coldest place in the country, it's almost the coldest place in Europe.  I think the lack of wind, which is partly responsible for the low temperatures, is also what is allowing my garden to stay much warmer than the surrounding area.

Having never seen a temperature below -6°C/21°F here, this is quite a shock for early November.

WOW... Corey.... that's really cold for November... Don't feel bad, we're cacthing up.... 32f here this morning and Tonight is supposed to be even Colder - down to 29f... Very rare for November - especially THIS early... Our lows should be in the low 40's now.. But I have to say, I am impressed that you have a 13 degree difference in your yard.... How on earth did you manage that?

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Got real cold here last night.  Low in the low to mid 40s.  Haven't seen the official low, but I bet it was around 42-43F.  Good thing is 7 day shows us back into 76-82F ranges with lows in 60s with T storms, after today which is only supposed to have highs in the 60s.  Palms still pushing fronds...

Extended forecast:

Saturday: Cloudy, with a high near 71. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming south southeast.

Saturday Night: A 10 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 61. Southeast wind around 10 mph.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 78. East southeast wind between 10 and 15 mph.

Sunday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. East southeast wind around 10 mph.

Monday: A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a high near 76. East southeast wind around 10 mph.

Monday Night: A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy, with a low around 62. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west.

Tuesday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. North northwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56.

Wednesday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 82.

Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64.

Thursday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 81.

I see areas of GA and SC are expecting a freeze tonight on NWS website.  I wonder it that is the first freeze of year for them.

(elHoagie @ Nov. 02 2006,13:20)

Evidently your high sheltered elevation creates colder temps.  Do you experience frost?  Here's an example of "night wind' in the forecast :

LOS ANGELES COUNTY COAST- INCLUDING...DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES...MALIBU...SANTA MONICA... BEVERLY HILLS...HOLLYWOOD...LONG BEACH 330 AM PST FRI NOV 3 2006  .

TODAY...AREAS OF LOW CLOUDS AND FOG THIS MORNING...OTHERWISE PARTLY  CLOUDY. PATCHY DENSE FOG THROUGH MID MORNING...WITH VISIBILITIES ONE  QUARTER MILE OR LESS. HIGHS FROM THE MID TO UPPER 60S AT THE BEACHES  TO THE MID 70S INLAND.

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY...EXCEPT FOR AREAS OF LOW CLOUDS AND FOG  DEVELOPING LATE. LOWS IN THE MID TO UPPER 50S.  .

SATURDAY...AREAS OF LOW CLOUDS AND FOG IN THE MORNING...OTHERWISE MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS FROM THE MID TO UPPER 60S AT THE BEACHES TO THE  LOWER TO MID 70S INLAND.  

SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE 50S.  .

SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS FROM THE MID 60S TO LOWER 70S AT THE  BEACHES TO THE MID TO UPPER 70S INLAND. LOCAL NORTH WINDS 15 TO 25  MPH BELOW PASSES AND CANYONS.

SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY...MOSTLY CLEAR. BREEZY BELOW PASSES AND  CANYONS. LOWS IN THE MID TO UPPER 50S EXCEPT IN THE LOWER TO MID  60S IN BREEZY AREA HIGHS FROM THE LOWER TO MID 70S AT THE BEACHES  TO THE LOWER TO MID 80S INLAND.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(syersj @ Nov. 03 2006,10:52)

I see areas of GA and SC are expecting a freeze tonight on NWS website.  I wonder it that is the first freeze of year for them.

Whoa!

I hadnt been following this one, but you are right...the NWS map for North Goergia does show a freeze tonight.

MinT2.png

Larry 

(happ @ Nov. 03 2006,11:04)

Here's an example of "night wind' in the forecast :

Happ-

Along with lots of heavy thick clouds, I am always a fan of night winds...especially if they come from due west!

Larry 

Well, I see that the warmup is moved forward a day; Monday afternoon. One day of rain, mid-70s as well next week.

My outdoor digital thermometer showed 8ºC this morning. I walked around a bit annd realized it was really about 0º. I guess I need a new system.

Los Niños y Los Borrachos siempre dicen la verdad.

I'm sure we'll dip to around 30f tonight.... The forecast says 35f, but it's always 4-5f colder.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Sad.-

Here in southern southamerica, we had the first hailstorm.- I was in the dowtown where was heaviest and saw the espectacle of the bombarding.-  Public plants looked as beeing in Baghdad!4786.JPG

Some kilometres south of the city were bigger.-

hailstorm

(happ @ Nov. 03 2006,11:04)

Evidently your high sheltered elevation creates colder temps.  Do you experience frost?  Here's an example of "night wind' in the forecast :

Happ,

Not only am I sheltered and relatively windless, but the slope I'm on is about 1000m tall.  So, there is some cold air that drains down onto me from above.  At least there are no canyons above me, that would really be some cold air!  I've lived here 3 years now, and I've never had frost on any of my plants.  I've had a fairly heavy frost on the exposed windshield of my car twice, and light frost on the windshield maybe 5 or 6 times.  

I have a thermometer that is fairly well calibrated, at least near freezing, located in a stephenson screen about 100cm above the ground.  The coldest temperature I've recorded was March 12th this year, when it was right at 0C (I think 0.2C?).  Other than that day, 1.5C is as low as it's been.

In those three years I can only think of one time when it was windy (more than 40km/hr).  It happened this past January, and it did a LOT more damage than cold has ever done.

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

jack i have the same problem with cold drainage.i am at the bottom of a gully--the low spot in the whole area.

luckily i have a good canopy going.i am hoping for a nice,mild winter like the last one.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

We had a bit of frost on the ground this morning.  I didn't have to scrape my windows though (like I did two days in a row a couple weeks ago).  Official low was 34F for my town.  Tonight will likely be the first official freeze.  Tomorrow night is supposed to be near freezing as well.  I may have to get the fire pit ready if I'm going to sit outside to drink beer then.

No growth from my Trachy in over two weeks now.  He's done for the year.  It was a decent year.  A bit slow in the summer because it was dry, we had water restrictions, and I'd forget to water on our days, but came on strong again in September.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

We had a bit of frost on the ground this morning.  I didn't have to scrape my windows though (like I did two days in a row a couple weeks ago).  Official low was 34F for my town.  Tonight will likely be the first official freeze.  Tomorrow night is supposed to be near freezing as well.  I may have to get the fire pit ready if I'm going to sit outside to drink beer then.

No growth from my Trachy in over two weeks now.  He's done for the year.  It was a decent year.  A bit slow in the summer because it was dry, we had water restrictions, and I'd forget to water on our days, but came on strong again in September.

I hear ya steve... same here... Freeze warning tonight... supposed to dip to 32f...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(pohonkelapa @ Nov. 03 2006,14:42)

jack i have the same problem with cold drainage.i am at the bottom of a gully--the low spot in the whole area.

luckily i have a good canopy going.i am hoping for a nice,mild winter like the last one.

Paul - I'm definitely not in a low, I'm on the side of a pretty steep slope.  It's just that the slope keeps going and going way up.  I only wish I had some canopy!

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(elHoagie @ Nov. 03 2006,17:03)

Paul - I'm definitely not in a low, I'm on the side of a pretty steep slope.  It's just that the slope keeps going and going way up.  I only wish I had some canopy!

Hilltops between canyons are the true banana belts/USDA 11 like no other place in California.   :cool:   Some argue the heat factor of Coachella/Imperial valleys/Phoenix [eg. delonix regia], but not reliably frost-free.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Its been pretty decent here. 65-70 in the day and 50 at night.  if its a clear night it may get in the low 40's. Best of luck this novemember.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 03 2006,12:54)

I am impressed that you have a 13 degree difference in your yard.... How on earth did you manage that?

Yes Bobby, I was quite surprised, although the garden only saw two light frosts last winter.

I think it is either a case of everything being very enclosed and near to the house, which being old and badly insulated will be releasing heat quite readily.  This combined with no wind means that any heat released into the garden will stay there for a short while at least.

The other possibility is that my readings are wrong, which is a distinct possibility, because all of my Musa leaves have gone very brown, which I wouldn't have expected without a freeze, although the leaves being slightly higher above ground level and, more importantly, above fence height are more exposed to the surrounding temperatures.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Neofolis

Where is the thermometer(s) located.  Wind helps circulate low layer cold air & warm it.  You could even install a wind machine.   :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23