IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Proteaceae

Justin

Taken this morning in partly sunny San Diego County.

IMG_8823_t.jpg

IMG_8824_t.jpg

IMG_8825_t.jpg

IMG_8826_t.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

AMAZING pictures... Thank you so much!!!

Jose Almandoz

IPS life member

Iturraran Botanical Garden

Basque Country, Coastal Northern Spain, Z9

great looking stuff, we use the pins a lot in the cut flower industry, buy them from Cali, Hawaii, Ecuador, Peru, South Africa, Australia, and Porugal! from what I understand they need a dry climate and poor soil to thrive. I have been wanting to try one in a pot with pretty much just sand. Any ideas where to located like a 3 gallon plant?

Wow, Justin, your garden has exploded! I remember all the young Protea in the lava field protected by wire cages, and look at them now! Have any photos of the north side with all the flowering trees you had planted? Everything looking just excellent.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim, the flowering trees should start to do something in the next month, when the Pseudobombax, Erythrina crista-galli and Bolusanthus start to bloom. In the meantime, the only thing blooming is a juvenile Erythrina sykesii.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Whoah. :bemused:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Beautiful! Beautiful! I am so glad you haven't turned the Phoenixes into shaving brushes.

We can grow the chalice vine here in south Florida. I am starting a cutting of a variegated one. Hopefully it will take.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

1.2 acres (~5000 square meters)

Colorful California! Gotta love all those proteas especially.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Justin,you are correct.I am jealous.I have been back several times to see your proteas.They are spectacular! You guys in Southern California have so many plants that can be grown to perfection,proteas,phoriums,orchid cactus,encephalartos( the blue ones).cymbidiums,aloes and many many succulents.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Justin your garden is incredible! Could you or someone tell me what the following plants are:

Post 4, Pic #3

Post 5, Pic #4

Post 6, Pic #2

Thanks

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Very nice landscaping! You made me realize my garden needs a lot more color! I'm always jealous of those with space like yours to get an open park like atmosphere going.

IMG_8838_t.jpg

This a Leucospermum cultivar, I believe it is "Tango."

IMG_8843_t.jpg

This is Leucodendron discolor.

IMG_8845_t.jpg

I'm not sure what plant you're asking about, but the one in the foreground on the right is Euphorbia tirucalli, often called "Sticks on Fire" or "Pencil tree."

Thanks Justin! You named all the ones I was interest in.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

• 4 weeks later...

Those are great plants, Justin. You've obviously done a great job. Do Proteas flower all year or solely in the spring?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

The pincushions bloom roughly between March and June, depending on amount of sun and age of plant. The proteas bloom during the summer and fall, but may go all the way to February. The banksias are also summer and fall. The grevilleas are basically year-round. And the Leucodendrons don't really "bloom" in the normal sense of the word, but have the contrasting foliage in the spring.

The pincushions bloom roughly between March and June, depending on amount of sun and age of plant. The proteas bloom during the summer and fall, but may go all the way to February. The banksias are also summer and fall. The grevilleas are basically year-round. And the Leucodendrons don't really "bloom" in the normal sense of the word, but have the contrasting foliage in the spring.

Thanks. I keep expecting my Leucodendron to bloom. But it just keeps pumping out new leaves. Now I get it.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

After posting the picture of my Leucospermum cordifolium "Vlam"

in post #25 here is some more mid-may colour :

Protea "Sylvia" (P.susannae x P.eximia)

hybridized for very late bloom and colour.

They bloom May - June (much later then other Proteas in California).

p.sylvia1.JPG

p.sylvia2.JPG

Happy blooming,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• Upvote 1

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

where i can buy some of these here in socal? i was just getting interested in these and im glad this thread came up

There are a couple of places out in Valley Center, I think one is called Resendiz Bros or something similar. Buena Creek Gardens in San Marcos and Tropic World in Escondido also have small collections. The biggest that I am aware of is up in Ojai - Australian Native Plants is the name I think.

thanks justin i will give these places a shot. can you root out cuttings on these guys also? thanks for the info

You can, but that doesn't mean I'm any good at it. I took cuttings off of one of my pincushions several years ago, and got one or two to survive the process. But then they died a year or so later.

They're really fairly cheap, and after talking to one of the docents at Kirstenbosch in Cape Town, I felt better. They kill a ton too - they just plant a bunch and see what makes it.

1.2 acres (~5000 square meters)

Wow! That's your yard??? I thought I was looking at a botanical garden! Nice work!

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

cool well thanks for the info, any idea on the price range? whats farely cheap just curious.

The most common sizes are 1 gal and 5 gal, and frankly I would always buy a 1 gal if possible. 1 gal plants go from anywhere from $10-20, depending on the species. Probably 80% of what is in my photos came from 1 gal plants, and I don't think any of them are more than 5 or 6 years old.

• 10 years later...
On 4/8/2009 at 10:49 AM, Justin said:

IMG_8827_t.jpg

IMG_8829_t.jpg

IMG_8830_t.jpg

I've been thinking of trying to grow these proteas and leucospermum here in Arizona. I might be in over my head here trying these out here but I'd love to try.

What is your soil like that these are growing in? 

I was thinking of digging out a bed for them in my yard. Take out all the heavy clay we have here and replace it with decomposed granite, sand, and peat moss.  

Do you think these can take hot temps in the 100-110f?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raimeiken said:

I've been thinking of trying to grow these proteas and leucospermum here in Arizona. I might be in over my head here trying these out here but I'd love to try.

What is your soil like that these are growing in? 

I was thinking of digging out a bed for them in my yard. Take out all the heavy clay we have here and replace it with decomposed granite, sand, and peat moss.  

Do you think these can take hot temps in the 100-110f?

i have tried protea and leucospermum. Leucs do better for me than protea cynariodes, which tends to suffer in summer.