IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jungle Music's 14th Anual Spring Sale and BBQ

Phil

Dear Plant Enthusiasts,

Greetings. Today I wanted to tell you about our biggest nursery event of the year! On Saturday and Sunday, April 18th and 19th, we will be having our 14th Annual Spring Open House and BBQ. Hours are 9AM to 6PM on both days. There will be refreshments all day with a free BBQ starting at noon each day. On all plant purchases there will be a 15% discount. We will also apply this discount to mail orders placed between Monday, April 13th and Monday, April 20th. Please don't place mail orders on Sat/Sun, as we will be too busy to accommodate phone orders.

We have expanded our inventory and have an excellent choice of species and sizes. I think you will be pleased with your choices. And, the plants look superb and most are of good size for their containers. All prices and availability are posted at our website. If you click on the link below, you can see our famous "Hot Plants" list of rare palms and cycads available. It's a copy of the flyer we mail out and a slightly slow uploading PDF File:

Announcement Jungle Music Spring Sale

Contact information and directions posted below.

I hope to hear from or see many of you at our sale. It will be a great opportunity for those of us from this group to visit and share palm stories.

Thanks for reading this.

Phil Bergman

Owner

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Email: phil.bergman@junglemusic.net

Website Link Jungle Music

Nursery Location:

450 Ocean View Ave., Encinitas, CA 92024

Nursery Phone: 619 291 4605

Nursery Hours: Monday - Friday 10am - 3pm (please call first)

Saturday 9:30am-4:30pm

Sunday typically closed

Directions to Nursery: Freeway Close. Take Freeway 5 to Encinitas

(10 minutes south of Oceanside, 30 minutes north of San Diego).

Exit Leucadia Blvd West (toward ocean).

Immediate left on Orpheus Ave, left on Union St,

Right on Ocean View Ave to Nursery, which is at 450 Ocean View Ave

Mailing Address: 3233 Brant Street, San Diego, CA 92103

E.%20horridus%20wood%20box2.JPG

Encephalartos horridus

Beccariophoenix%20madagascarensi%20windows.JPG

Beccariophoenix sp. "windows" 15g

Cycads3%20open%20house%20(Large).JPG

Assorted palms and cycads

I'll post some more photos as time goes by.

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I "worked the East Coast", looking forward to "workin the West Coast" now.... :D

Great selection and lots of fun, what more can you ask for?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Phil,

I only see A through C on your New Palm Price List. Are you still working on D through Z? Or is it just not loading for me?

Thanks!

Phil,

I only see A through C on your New Palm Price List. Are you still working on D through Z? Or is it just not loading for me?

Thanks!

I noticed that too. BTW, you must have your web guy modify the output of the price list layout because it is not inline with the container and prices, and there are no vertical bars to separate the prices/container. There is also no horizontal bars separating the palm species. I see this as very unacceptable because the customers will have to concentrate a little just to see the palms/prices/container sizes.

Cagary and Big Frond,

It actually does work. You have to click on the "..." that follows the numbers. But, I've asked my webmaster to make changes today to make it easier to navigate. Regarding horizontal lines, there is shading on the horizontal rows, but perhaps that's not showing so we'll add bars as well.

Phil

Front%20of%20Nursery2.JPG

Monarch%20Alley4.JPG

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Darn it, I have my yearly recurrent simulator training that weekend. :angry: Looks like I miss another one :(

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Phil,

I did get past the C's, but on page 12 it goes from Euterpe edulis to Pinanaga sobolifera ( I mean Pinanaga sobolifera is listed directly after Euterpe edulis with no other palms in between) . Page 19 goes from Roystonea oleracea to Acanthophoenix sp. through Areca catechu and then begins with Roystonea regia/elegans again. Page 22 ends with Syagrus yungasensis, but page 23 begins with Areca guppyana* and goes to Asterogyne martiana* about mid way through the page and then jumps to Gastrococos crispa. The later pages also jump around a bit. I think all the palms are listed.

Cagary and Big Frond,

It actually does work. You have to click on the "..." that follows the numbers. But, I've asked my webmaster to make changes today to make it easier to navigate. Regarding horizontal lines, there is shading on the horizontal rows, but perhaps that's not showing so we'll add bars as well.

Phil

Front%20of%20Nursery2.JPG

Monarch%20Alley4.JPG

I guess in a perfect world, you'd call a webmaster and five minutes later everything is perfect. Well, this repair took about 8 hours. We've added color bands, vertical lines and perfect alphabetization to the palm and cycad databases. I told him to leave it up while repairing it; that's why you saw some jumble for a few hours.

For those of you who can't see the pdf file on our flyer, I thought I'd give our "Hot Plants" listing here. This list is a bit helpful, but also a bit frustrating because we couldn't list every species in a genus because of space restrictions. And, many genera were left off. We care about 1000 species of plants. Many of you already know we carry these items, but for those unfamiliar with our nursery, it gives a bit of reality about us. Availability and sizes does change with time.

Hot Plants

Palms

Acanthophoenix & Actinokentia

Allagoptera& Alloschmidia

Basselinia (3 sp) & Beccarioph.

Bismarckia nobilis (some large)

Brahea nitida, decumb.,others

Burretiokentia viellardii, hapala,

dumasii,and koghiensis

Butia x Syagrus, Carpoxylon m.

Caryota gigas (+10 other species)

Chamaedorea (over 25 species)

Chambeyronia (3 “species”)

Ceroxylon, Chuniophoenix

Clinostigma, Copernica (several)

Cyphosperm & Cyphophoenix

Cyphosperma & Coccothrinax

Dypsis ambositra (3 types), albof. baronii, cabadae, lanceolata,

Dypsis onilahensis, pembana, presto.

saintelucei, O.C.,

“White Stem”, 40 other species

Gaussia, Howea b., Hedyscepe.

Hyophorbe(3 types), JubaeaxBut

Joey, Jubaea, Jubaeopsis c.

Kentiopsis (4 sp), Laccospadix

Lepidorrhachis e.l.,Lemurophoenix

Licuala "elegans", ramsayii

Marojejya & Lytocaryum

Masoala & Nannorrhops

Parajubaea torallyi & sunkha

Pinanga, Polyandroc., Prestoea

Pritchardia (over 10 species)

Pseudophoenix sargentii, ekmanii

Ravenea (10 sp), Rhopalostylis

Roystonea (4 sp), Syagrus (10 sp)

Satakentia, Voanioala gerardii

Vieillonia alba, Wodyetia (large)

Wodyetia X Veitchia

Cycads

Bowenia serrulata and spectabilis

Ceratozamia plumosa, pacifica,

latifolia, mexicana, others

Cycas angulata, cairnsiana,

debaoensis, multipinnata, and

many other rare species

Dioon califanoi, caputoi & holmg.

merolae & golden merolae

Dioon rzedowski, tomasellii

Encephalartos aemulans altenst.,.

arenarius, bandula, bubalinus

caffer, chimanimaniensis

dyerianus e.l., eugene-maraisii

ferox, friderici-guilielmi, gratustus &

hildebrandtii, horridus, kisambo,

lehmannii lebomboensis, laurentianus

longifolius, macrostrob. Middelburg,

msinganus, munchii

ngoyanus, nubimontanus, paucidentatus,

poggei, princeps

pterogonus, sclavoi, septent.,

tegulaneus, trispinosus,turneri

umbeluz.iensis ,whitelockii,

Lepidozamia hopei & perofsk

Maccrozamia(20 species)

Zamia amblyphyllidia, angust. encephalartoides,

fairchildiana,

muricata , lindenii, obliqua,

portoricensis, pseudoparasitica

roezlii, skinneri e.l., spartea ,

standleyi , variegate,lots others

Over 1000 large, mature , coning-

sized cycads, many sun-grown

Tropical companion plants such as

Heliconia, 3 species, Alocasia, Croton,

Ti, Ginger, Canna, Philodendron,

Pandanus, some Bamboo,

Ligularia, Song of India, Cordyline,

Calocasia, Bromeliads, etc

Phil

I thought I'd show a few photos.

First, a Cyphoephoenix nucelle that left the nursery yesterday. I apologize that this was the only was the only one of this size, but it's fun to look at.

Cyphophoenix%20nuelle%2015g%20large.JPG

A closeup of the leaf:

Cyphoephoenix%20nucelle%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Voaniola girardii, 5g

Voaniola%20gerardii%205g%20(Large).JPG

Leaf of a 25g variegated Rhapis excelsa:

Rhapis%20excelsa%20variegated%20leaf2%20(Large).JPG

There was a recent discussion about variegated leaves. I see Pritchardia all the time that people think are variegated and it's just a nutritional issue. What I look for to tell true variegation are the stripes; clean yellow next to green. You see that on this leaf. I've found on the variegated Rhapis that, if you give them lots of nitrogen, the variegation goes away for a while. Starve them and it comes back.

Phil

Leaf of a 25g Pritchardia beccariana. I really like this species because the leaves are very borad and flat:

Pritchardia%20beccariana%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Oppose the above species with the leaf of a slightly younger Pritchardia lowreyana. Still a good size, but not as big and powerful as the beccariana:

Pritchardia%20lowreyana%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

Everyone knows we have huge cycads for sale. But, we also have more modest sizes and thousands of seedlings.

Encephalartos trispinosus, 7g size:

Encephalartos%20tripsinosus%207%20gallon%20(Large).JPG

And about a five to six year old Encephalartos princeps in a 5g:

E.%20princeps%205g3%20(Large).JPG

Phil

8 hours to fixed that problem? I don't work with ASP, but most web application programming languages are very similar. However, the html rendering (table/gridlines), current page/next page, and ordering should not take more than a half an hour.

It's gonna be a great sale! Can't wait!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Phil

Do you have any shippable Sabal Riverside?

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Cindy,

I think so. Contact me with a PM or a call, and we can discuss.

Phil

619 291 4605

Hedyscepe c., 15g

Hedyscpe%2015g%20(Large).JPG

There will be lots of Hyophorbe indica "red" up to 25g size. Shon's not for sale.

Hyophorbe%20indica%20red%2015g%20(Large).JPG

I thought I'd show a series of smaller plants for sale:

Jubaeopsis caffra, 5g

Jubaeopsis1%20(Large).JPG

Marojejya insignis, 5g

Marojejya%20insignis3%20(Large).JPG

Polyandrococos caudescens, 5g

Polyandrococos%20(Large).JPG

Burretiokentia koghiensis, 5g

Burretiokentia%20koghiensis%205g.JPG

Phil

I know some of you have never been to our nursery. I thought I'd share a few photos to give you a feel for our nursery. There is about 1.5 miles (added up) of tables with plants from band to 5g sizes on the tables. Here's a few shots of the tables:

Palm%20Tables%20(Large).JPG

Palm%20Tables2%20(Large).JPG

Between all these tables are a lot of walkways where we put the larger plants:

palm%20Street%20(Large)%20(2).JPG

Palm%20Street2%20(Large)%20(2).JPG

As plants get even larger (over about 10 to 12 feet) they go outside.

Phil

Good Morning,

Below is a picture of some of the staff at our Summer Sale last year. You'll see many of these same people this weekend and I know you recognize a few of them. We usually need about 24 people to have our Spring event.

JM%20Staff%20708.JPG

We'll have an excellent selection of locally grown Chambeyronia from one gallon up to 25g 12 feet tall:

Chambeyronia%20macrocarpa%2020g%20(Large).JPG

And lots of Rhopalostylis, cheesemanii shown below in a 15g:

Rhopalostylis%20cheesmanii%20(Large).JPG

And cycads that bifurcate like Caryota and are just plain cool:

Cycas%20daboensis%20leaf.JPG

More later.

Phil

Phil / Staff,

Nice lookings palms and cycads in the house. I'm sure it can be alot of fun poking around and looking for something special. Good luck with the sale this weekend. I hope alot of people come out and support it.

Can't you get Bill and Matty to hang a big banner across I-5 near your exit ( I think that's your interstate hgwy. close by?) the night before? :lol:

Have fun and post some after sale pictures!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff,hopefully we get half the turnout you got. We've ben so understaffed that there are good deals in there. No time to repot some stuff is way overgrown for the pot. Hedyscepe's in all sizes and 15g hapala's in particular. As always there is hidden gems. Someone always finds something that Phil did'nt think we had anymore of. Hope to see everyone there.

San Marcos CA

As always there is hidden gems. Someone always finds something that Phil did'nt think we had anymore of. Hope to see everyone there.

Perfect description of what Shon is usually looking for! Lately he's been too busy to roam!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jeff,

Great idea to post a banner on our nearby freeway. But, I'm afraid that my bail might be more than extra sales generated. By the way, I saw how popular the bomerliads were at your sale. So, we're offering a great selection of colorful bromeliads at our sale. I've concentrated on Nerogelias, which do quite well out here for us. Hot pinks, reds, orange. Good colors. I'll post pictures tonight if I get time.

Phil

i will not be eating until then so i am REALLY HUNGRY for the amazing food they always provide.

hope i didnt use that joke last year. :huh:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

No bromeliad shots yet, but below are a few good looking plants:

Dypsis, unknown species 5g:

Dypsis%20unknown%20sp.%20(Large).JPG

Jubaeopsis caffra, 5g:

Jubaeopsis1%20(Large).JPG

Encephalartos arenarius, 15g:

E.%20arenarius,%20smaller%20(Large).JPG

Cycas thouarsii, box:

101%20Cycas%20thouarsii%20box%20(Small).jpg

I'll try to get some interesting bromo shots up soon.

Phil

I would like to show some of the Bromeliads we have. I particularly like Nerogelia, so you'll get a few shots of ones I like as companion plants for the garden.

Below is a clustering form. Each plant has about ten to fifteen heads with nice red color:

Nerogelia,%20red%20cluster%20(Large).JPG

Here's another view of two plants next to a few blue cycads:

Blue%20cycads%20and%20red%20bromeliads%20(Large).JPG

Below is an assortment (4 different varieties) of very brightly colored single stem Nerogelia:

Nerogelia,%20red%20(Large).JPG

Nerogelia%20red%20closeup%20(Large).JPG

Also, we got in several twenty year old Trachycarpus wagnerianus in 20g size and a very old Phoenix rupicola in a box. Also, lots of Alocasia, unusual ferns, nice size Croton (Oak Leaf) about 4 to 5 feet tall, and a whole assortment of cool companion plants.

Phil

A few more shots:

Croton "Oak Leaf" showing a lot of red. These plants are about 5 feet tall with multiple canes.

Croton,%20oak%20leaf%20(Large).JPG

A nice Blechnum Fern:

Blechnum%20Fern%20(Large).JPG

A boxed Caryota gigas with the new leaf about 12 feet long:

Caryota%20gigas%20box2%20(Large).JPG

A good assortment of tall, thick trunked Chamaedoreas. This is a C. nationsiana about 10 feet plus tall:

Cham%20nationsiana%20(Large)2.JPG

I'm really busy so I don't know if I can post more photos before the event starts tomorrow. We have more plants than ever. Hope to see a lot of you at the Nursery tomorrow or Sunday.

Phil

Can you guess who "Mr. Conehead" really is?

Mr.%20Conehead%20and%20staff%20(Large).JPG

Well, it's Bill Sanford with a yellow Encephalartos villosus cone from one of our plants. This is our group this year minus a few who don't like "group photos". You'll see Matty B., Roosty, Shon, Mark, Danny, Jesse (in back) and a few others. Great group of people to work with.

Staff%20Spring%202009%20(Large).JPG

Phil

COME SEE THE CONE AND TOUCH IT FOR YOURSELF! ITS REALLY BIG!!!!!

I managed to get by on Sunday. Hadn't been to Phil's place in about 4 years... SO much stock! I could wander around that place for hours.... unfortunately my budget was small so I walked away with one 3 gallon Cyphophoenix Elegans... thanks a bunch... nice to see Paul, Matty, BS.....

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I couldn't make it unfortunately... but was hoping Paul would have a great photo expose of the event.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

It was great to see you Dave AND the other folks that made it out!!

Scott, Dave and Others,

Thanks for visiting (or wanting to) and your comments. For me, these Open Houses are an unusual experience. I get so busy answering questions, telling the girls what's being purchased (to speed up checkout) and handling various things that crop up, that I hardly get to enjoy the event. It's sort of like the "wedding planner never sees the wedding". I find the same sort of thing being on the Board of the PSSC. Board Members rarely get to really see the gardens.

Overall the Open House was successful. We kept busy and a lot of plants left the nursery. That's a good thing because we have so many things that need repotting and then need more space for placing. As always, New Caledonian species were popular. Also, Dysis, Ravenea, Pritchardia, blue cycads and color were grabbed up. We really tried this time to have a lot of colorful or interesting companion plants. We had a good selection of bright colored Nerogelias. I like this genus because they do well as a planting for ground color in filtered light. And, they show color without actually being in blossom. Years ago I grew a lot of bromeliads and found this genus to be really reliable.

Although the event has passed, I'll show a few shots below. I'm sorry that I don't have shots of a lot of customers. This is because when they show up, we're too busy to take pictures. Perhaps someone like Paul has a few pictures.

A Dracena draco and some cycads/palms

Dracena%20draco%20and%20cycads%20(Large).JPG

Red Shirts, customers and plants

Customers,%20Staff%20and%20Plants%20(Large).JPG

Chamaedorea hooperiana, 15g, ready to go into a van

Cham.%20hooperiana%20ready%20to%20go,%20large.JPG

Chamaedorea stolinifera, mature specimen

Chamaedorea%20stolinifera%20(Large).JPG

Phil

The sale was rad! I even found time to tag a Trachycarpus wagneranius for myself. Gotta post a picture of this guy soon, it's the cutest thing ever! Phil had big boxed T. waggies with several feet of trunk too! Something you don't see too often.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

someone very much like me has some pix. me.

will post em soon...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Can't wait! I found out how Paul gets so many sneaky candid shots: He's got his camera set to stealth mode. No flash, no lights, no shutter sound effects, no LCD screen on, and he dosen't even hold it up to his eye, he just shoots from the hip. Sneaky snark is he.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

You might have a hard time finding that Trachy Matty. Things got a little randy after you left and did not say goodbye. You know tired palm guys and beer are usually not a good combo.The only clue is it is on the property.

San Marcos CA

:angry: What did you do with my Trachy?!!!!!! I hope it's getting watered in this 100F weather.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt - a trachy W. pic would be cool when you get your palm!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

If I ever get it Scott. They (shon and rusty) think it's a crappy palm and won't let me set it next to their tagged plants for fear that my plants 'whackness' will rub off on their rare Dypsis. Trachyphobes they are. I'm gonna post a pic. I wish that people who live in colder areas would come by the nursery and buy those boxed specimines from Phil. They are absolutely gorgeous. I don't care what Shon says.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"