IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm seedlings

bgl

Wow...It'll be fantastic if Bo Göran's spiral Bismarckia makes to adulthood ! I have a spiralling Livistona mariae on the beach, I'll have to show it later.

Glad to see the baculiferas doing fine everywhere.

Here are some recent puppies:

Licuala mattanensis "mapu"

post-157-1172842670_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Chamaedorea tenella

post-157-1172842866_thumb.jpg

Euterpe oleracea "white" Açaí branco.

post-157-1172842979_thumb.jpg

Raphia farinifera

post-157-1172843063_thumb.jpg

Caryota no (from Borneo)

post-157-1172843140_thumb.jpg

Oenocarpus distichus (still adapting from a recent transplanting)

post-157-1172843251_thumb.jpg

Areca vestiaria "maroon"

post-157-1172843400_thumb.jpg

These seedling pics are sending me into orbit, this is perhaps one of my most favourite threads!

Thanks guys!

HERE is a link to my palm seedling pics.  (I am not so confident to post a whole slew of 'em up here)

Oooohhhh Jacob...

You shouldn't do this to me...

I've put your slideshow on and now I can't come back to work... :P

Seriously, your camera rules !!

OK, so here’s a little tour of my seedlings!  Most of this stuff was planted June 28, 2006…  I was just getting into palms and horticulture and had -1 experience at knowing what I was going to be able to keep alive…  I think I’ve moved up to knowing about 0…  I germinated all of this stuff in full shade and was moved to 70% shade about a month ago…  I only have one that I think I’ve identified incorrectly…  :laugh: ;  Anyhow, enjoy the miniature forest!

Actinokentia divercata  (looks like one leaf dies of before the successor starts, very peculiar!)

Actinokentiadivercata3-2-07.jpg

Aiphanes aculeata (YAY FOR SPINEY THINGS!)

Aiphanesaculeata3-2-07.jpg

Areca triandra (do these really smell like lemons when they flower?)

Arecatriandra3-2-07.jpg

Areca vestiaria

Arecavestiaria3-2-07.jpg

Caryota ophiopellis  (purchased the larger one…  only got one seed to germinate to date  :(  )

Caryotaophiopellis3-2-07.jpg

Caryota urens

Caryotaurens3-2-07.jpg

Chamaedorea metallica (the snails got at these real bad on the side of my house before I built the shade house

Chamadoreametallica3-2-07.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa (watermellon)

Chambeyroniamacrocarpavar.jpg

Clinostigma samoense  (These look very yellow to me!  Too much sun maybe?)

Clinostigmasamoense3-2-07.jpg

Coccothrinax crinita (8 gifts from FTG!  Thank you!)

Coccothrinaxcrinita3-2-07.jpg

Corypha umbraculifera

Coryphaumbraculifera3-2-07.jpg

Cryosophila warscewiczii

Cryosophiliawarscewiczii3-2-07.jpg

Dypsis leptocheilos (Would you guess I like these?)

Dypsisleptocheilos3-2-07.jpg

Dypsis nodifera sp. "New Red Leaf"

Dypsisnodiferasp.jpg

Euterpe edulis

Euterpeedulis3-2-07.jpg

Geonoma interrupta (can’t seem to give these what they want)

Geonomainterupta3-2-07.jpg

Iguanura borneensis (I’m having a real tough time with these, maybe some anti-transpirant?)

Iguanuraborneensis3-2-07.jpg

Johannesteijsmannia magnifica (maybe some anti-traspirant here too?, check out the spiraly one!!)

Johannesteijsmanniamagnifica3-2-07.jpg

Laccospadix australasica (FTG says these can’t be grown in South Florida)

Laccospadixaustralasica3-2-07.jpg

Licuala grandis

Licualagrandis3-2-07.jpg

Linospadix monostachya

Linospadixmonostaycha3-2-07.jpg

Livistonia inermis (kinda looks burnt, I think the 112 degree heat did it last month)

Livistoniainermis3-2-07.jpg

Lytocaryum weddellianum

Lytocaryumweddellianum3-2-07.jpg

I don’t know what this is…  (I shouldn’t admit to this but here goes…)  I collected this seed from Fairchild along with some others one day (I know, I know…) .  I forgot to label this one…  I though I remembered gathering it from underneath an Oncosperma tigillarium…  But after looking through this thread, my opinion has been changed…  I don’t know what it is, but it sure is slow, not really big enough to know I think…  Small round black seed, remote germinator...  Any ideas?

Oncospermatigillarium3-2-07.jpg

Pinanga insignis

Pinangainsignis3-2-07.jpg

Pinanga speciosa (this one gets brown tipped real bad for me)

Pinangaspeciosa3-2-07.jpg

Poorly grown Pritchardia pacifica (I think I burnt them with too much fert.)

Pritchardiapacifica3-2-07.jpg

Ptychosperma cuneatum

Ptychospermacuneatum3-2-07.jpg

William,

You have a very impressive collection! And the overwhelming majority of them look perfect!

As far as the C. samoense goes, these palms can take full sun from an early age but they do tend to be somewhat on the yellow side. I can't quite make out the size of your pots or the plants, but it seems to me they might be ready for a bigger pot? C. samoense will develop an aggressive root system, and will fill up almost any (reasonably sized) pot that you put them in. If the pot you have them in is smaller than a 1G, then put them directly in AT LEAST a 3G pot. Or maybe even a 5G.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks Bo-Göran!  That's quite a compliment coming from you!  Most everything I just showed here is in 1.5 x 8 inch cones...  I have plans to pot up alot of these into 2g tall pots in the next couple weeks and those C. samoense are certainly ready...  The roots are hanging out all over the place! LOL  :laugh:

Bo-Göran,

I just visited your website and saw your pics of your 5g Clinostigma samoense... very impressive!  You are certainly the authority on this one!  How many do you have?  Age?  Any special treatment?

Bill

Bill,

Right now, about 500 in 5G pots, and another 350 or so in 1G pots, ready to be moved up. And I decided to take a look at the photos on the website myself, and noticed that the last one says "January 2006". That should be "January 2007". Have to let my daughter know that, so she can correct it! I'll get an up-to-date (better) photo and post here.

From my experience, these palms want to be in full sun, and have good drainage. And the more water they get, the faster they will grow. Once they get up to about 6-7 ft overall height they really should be planted, because this is when they're getting ready to form a trunk. If allowed to form a trunk while still in a pot, C. samoense will develop a much less robust trunk than if it's been planted out.

Bo-Göran

Edit: forgot one thing...age: these 5G plants are about two and a half years old, from germination.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Here are a few of the 5G C. samoense. In my defense I should add that I'm currently in the process of moving all of these palms. Putting them this close was OK 10 months ago when they were MUCH smaller, but now they definitely need more space, so that's what I'm giving them. Took another photo of that area as well, but for some reason I can't get it below 110KB so I'm unable to post it.

post-22-1172881961_thumb.jpg

And I have a few more seedling pics. Forgot exactly what's been posted, and I don't feel like wading thru all six pages to double check...so: Verschaffeltia splendida

post-22-1172882066_thumb.jpg

And I KNOW this one has been posted before, but it's such a great looking seedling, so here goes again: Areca vestiaria. I don't know any other palm seedling this small with this much color!

post-22-1172882145_thumb.jpg

Burretiokentia hapala

post-22-1172882186_thumb.jpg

William,

As Bo said, a verrrry impressive collection and well orginised.

I love those root training pots and stands you have.

I need to find something like this for my lot.

Your Iguanura borneensis look as though they may be a bit unhappy with your watering schedule. I suspect they medium may be drying out a little too much between watering . As these come from where they do, humidity and moisture would be very consistent in habit.

I'm having a go with these also. How long did yours take to germinate?

Jason.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

(Kamipalms @ Mar. 02 2007,19:58)

Your Iguanura borneensis look as though they may be a bit unhappy with your watering schedule. I suspect they medium may be drying out a little too much between watering . As these come from where they do, humidity and moisture would be very consistent in habit.

I'm having a go with these also. How long did yours take to germinate?

Jason,

I ordered these from RPS...  When they arrived on 6-27-06, 7 of the 13 seeds had already germinated...  I could not get any of the other seeds to germinate.   :(   When they arrived they had small white mites all over them...  I soaked all the seeds overnight to help eliminate the pests and potted them in a quarantined area (50% peat, 25%sand, and 25%perlite with a healthy dose of fungicide) the following day...  I also soaked the soil liberally with Safer brand insecticide and seaweed extract...  The sprouts were monitered for the following two weeks daily and there were no signs of insects so I moved them to a fullshade greenhouse...  It was about 85-90 degrees F and humidty was 55-80% at all times, watered twice daily, 20 minutes before sunup and about 10 minutes shortly after lunch...  By 1-17-07  I had killed all but 2 of them...   :(   Just couldnt seem to make them happy....  Good luck with them!  Keep me posted on how it goes for you!

Bill

• 1 month later...

I just thought I would bump up a really cool topic one more time and post a couple pics of my new palm seedling additions!  The Caribbean Collection...   :cool:

Coccothrinax sp. "Azul"

Picture015-1.jpg

Psuedophoenix vinifera

Picture013-1.jpg

Pseudophoenix ekmanii

Picture012.jpg

And last but certainly not least...  Thrinax ekmaniana (=Hemithrinax ekmaniana)

Picture-4.jpg

I don't know why I've never seen this thread before. It's fascinating. Let me add a few that I don't think have appeared yet.

Deckenia nobilis. These are TINY when they first appear.

Orania sylvicola. Weirdest seed development I've seen.

Pritchardia beccariana.

Pritchardia schattauerii. P. glabrata to the left.

Bo's picture of the Euterpe seedlings is interesting. Acc. to Henderson, edulis and precatoria have palmate eophylls, while oleracea has a bifid one. I have verified on edulis and oleracea bu t have never germinated a precatoria.

post-279-1176524455_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

The pic that made it was the last (schattauerii and glabrata) i'm open to any suggestions about how to post multiple pictures with text in between. Here is D. nobilis.

post-279-1176524623_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Orania sylvicola.

post-279-1176524713_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

And Pritchardia beccariana.

post-279-1176524790_thumb.jpg

Mike Merritt

• 2 months later...

Dear friends  :)

even i have a spiral bismarkia in pots i will post it soon !

and some rupicolas are also growing in spiral form ?

but i like it since its new to the eye...

and i must compliment all of you who have put stills of their

palms and those stills explains it all that how serious you

folks are all with this palmthing....

thanks & Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif