IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm seedlings

bgl

(bgl @ Nov. 02 2006,13:52)

That's Nutricote (13-13-13 plus micros), 180 day time release. Causes no burn.

I combed the place and could only find "Osmocote". I bought me a container and also "Dynamite Plant Food". Are those safe for my seedlings?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Frank,

Osmocote time release should do just fine.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Jeff Searle said that Dynamite is the same as Nutricote.  It works great w/ my seedlings.  I also add blood meal.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

A few more. First a group of Actinorhytis calapparia. This is one of my favorites. Very vigorous grower.

post-22-1163818698_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Another spiny little guy; Oncosperma tigillarium. This will eventually grow to an absolutely amazing size.

post-22-1163818763_thumb.jpg

Three little siblings, all Euterpe; from left to right: E. edulis, E. oleracea and E. precatoria.

post-22-1163818827_thumb.jpg

Ceroxylon amazonicum

post-22-1163818890_thumb.jpg

Calyptrocalyx spicatus. Another vigorous grower, and I believe the largest in the genus (eventually!)

post-22-1163818962_thumb.jpg

(bgl @ Nov. 17 2006,21:59)

Another spiny little guy; Oncosperma tigillarium. This will eventually grow to an absolutely amazing size.

Bo Goran,  dont bother with razor wire fencing, just plant these around your proerty !

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Kerriodoxa elegans

post-22-1163818998_thumb.jpg

Chris, too late. It's already all planted out. And after ten years here without a fence along certain parts of the property line we actually fenced in the entire property just a few months ago, to keep out wild pigs that are running rampant in the forest next to us. I'm not sure that they would have been impressed by the Oncospermas! Certainly not at this size!

Last one for one - another favorite: Satakentia liukiuensis. Just check out the Satakentia thread and you'll see what these little puppies will look like at some distant point in the future!

post-22-1163819219_thumb.jpg

Unidentified Chamaedorea from South Africa

unidentified.jpg

Notice the odd seedling in the bottom of the photo/pot-

Heres the spastic seedling.

spastic.jpg

If you look closely, there are 3 shoots from the one seed

And a few more Kami seedlings...

groupseedlings.jpg

Jason.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Jason,

You don't have any ideas on what species they might be? They are pretty small to guess on an ID. Do you have a pic. of the mother plant?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Nov. 19 2006,22:55)

Jason,

You don't have any ideas on what species they might be? They are pretty small to guess on an ID. Do you have a pic. of the mother plant?

Jeff

Jeff,

Yes, they are a bit too small to make a positive ID on and no, there are no pics of the parent plant.

All I know is the seeds were collected in a place called "Sun City" South Africa and the fellow who collected them said the parent plants look like a smaller/slender C.tepejilote- then again , he would say that C.oblongata looks like C.tepejilote...Aaarrrrgghh!!

The seeds are slightly sickle shaped and the flesh was black. I'm thinking that the seedlings do look similar to C.neurochlamys with the petiole/sheath markings and a similar but smaller and fewer nerved leaf . C.pinnatifrons would also be a close match but again the leaf shape and nerve count are not quite right.

This then leads me to possibbly C.macrospadix.

In the bottom pic in my post above, the seedlings in question are the ones closest to the bottom left hand side.

Directly to the right of these are C.neurochlamys and directly behind to the rear left of the seedlings in question are C.pinnatifrons.

Notice in all three lots of seedlings how far different they are in leaf shape, size and nerve layout .

I think with this one its a case of time will tell....unless I can get someone to visit Sun City and snap a few more pictures?

Jason.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

(bgl @ Nov. 17 2006,02:43)

Hey guys, what happened to the thread, and where's that moderator when you need him!?? :D  And Zac, yes, it's a word, but if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be using it... ???

Just to get back on track I have to be repetitive because I don't have anything better on file; these are the same Marojejya darianii seedlings in the photo in Post 2 on page 1, but now in separate 1G pots. Cute little things! And I don't even have to use pink pots to make that claim!

Ok, I wont ever use the word again Bo. You have my promise on that.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Zac,

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have made that comment, even though it wasn't meant in a serious way. And hopefully you knew that, but I apologize anyway!

Bo-Göran

Oh, and here's one more: Cryosophila warscewiczii (say that fast five times.....or just one time!! :D )

post-22-1164050255_thumb.jpg

Bo- No apology necessary. I knew it wasn't meant in a serious way.  My response was tongue in cheek too, so don't worry about it. Its hard to convey some things on the internet.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to bring this old topic back from the depths of time...  Thanks to all who contributed...  Most of my palms are about this size and it was nice to be able to make some comparisons to (hopefully) match species...

So, William, how about some pictures?

Living where I do here on Hawaii Island I never really felt a need to grow very many palms from seed as most of the palms I've ever wanted were usually obtainable locally.  However, there are always some that aren't  or at least are not available when you want them.  Therefore, I have ordered or received some palm seed that I've grown, such as:  

Livistona alfredii

Coccothrinax torrida

Copernicia cowellii (2-planted in ground and growing very slowly)

The below 2-pics show some of them  . . .

The first, below shows:  Geonoma baculifera, Cryosophila nana, Coccothrinax ekmanii

post-90-1172804264_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Two more - however, these came as germinated seed:

Joey perakensis (L)

Pelagodoxa henryana ®

post-90-1172804676_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

A handful of very young Copernicia berteroana seedlings (seeds collected at the Biennial in DR Oct 06)

post-22-1172805708_thumb.jpg

Oh, that's nothing!! Check out these spiraling Bismarckia nobilis seedlings! And no, have no clue why they do that! (All my other Bismarckia seedlings are perfectly normal)

post-22-1172806836_thumb.jpg

A few pics from February, sorry I can't remember which species I have already posted.

Possibly the youngest seedling featured, Geonoma schottiana.

Geonoma_schottiana_21-02-07.jpg

Not much larger, Lytocaryum weddellianum.

Lytocaryum_weddellianum_21-02-07.jpg

For some reason this hasn't grown for a month or at least not noticably and as small as the previous two, Dypsis florencei.

Dypsis_florencei_21-02-07.jpg

Slightly larger, but not much, Heterospathe scitula.

Heterospathe_scitula_21-02-07.jpg

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

A couple more Dypsis, first psammophila.

Dypsis_psammophila_21-02-07.jpg

and onilahensis.

Dypsis_onilahensis_21-02-07.jpg

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Rhopaloblaste augusta

post-117-1172824989_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Licuala peltata var sumavongii

post-117-1172827558_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

Nypa .......in my hand  :D

post-117-1172827731_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

Pseudophoenix ekmanii

post-117-1172827849_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

Corypha lecomtei, in habitat

post-117-1172828287_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

Corypha lecomtei accidentally grow in undesirable  place :D  anyone need ?

post-117-1172829741_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

redvdox  - thanks for showing us those Corypha lecomtei.  I'm surprised to see them growing in what looks like a seasonally dry area and one growing right on the gravel road!  I have one almost the same size in the garden (see pic below).  As big as they can grow I guess I can call mine a seedling still!

post-90-1172831356_thumb.jpg

Nice sunsets!

Al,

Your Geonomas are coming along nicely. How was the germination rate?

And the Livistona alfredii's?

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Bo, Your spiraling Bismarckia is fantastic.

Komkrit Yensirikul

Hello Al

Yes I agree that is seedling. They should remove them in pic#195 while they are seedling  :D  Anyone know what will be happened when they are adult (or just juvenile  :laugh: )

This is just 3 years old seedlings :D , and how old is your plant Al?

post-117-1172833734_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

Glad to see this topic back!

As far as I have seen, spiral leaves in Copernicia and Bismarckia appear more often when pots are too shallow. Plants eventually grow slower and if not transplanted readily to deeper pots, they can take a long time to go back to normal growth. The many I have observed never became curly-leaved adults. They recovered or died.

Bo's plant is a bit more twisted than others. I wish it keeps growing this way

Carlo