IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm seedlings

bgl

Back in June of this year, I made a quick visit to Peru. I was able to bring back fresh Chamaedorea fragrans seed. And this is them.

post-23-1163642608_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Lemurophoenix halleuxii, a very critical and endangered palm from Madagascar.

post-23-1163643005_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This is Dypsis coriaceae. A beautiful small understory species.

post-23-1163643143_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This is the seedhouse where I germinate most of all my seeds.

post-23-1163643260_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Another small house with mostly 1gallon size pots.

post-23-1163643490_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looks like I am able to post now I will have to post pics of all my babies. I have been going bonkers with the FNGLA auctions and have several species sprouting right now.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

What a teriffic thread! 'bout time there was something like this as I'd bet almost every one of us has something recently germinated and its allways goo to get an idea of what something looks like in the youger years.

Jeff, the fragrans seeds are absolutly out of control here too although not quite as advanced as yours ...but not far behind.

Heres a couple of seedling pics from the "Gileno collection" ( yes- stealing your title Frank)

Euterpe precatoria var

euterpe.jpg

Mauritiella  aculeatamauri.jpg

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Wow...

Thanks everyone, especially Jeff for these mouthwatering pictures of several seedlings. I'm very jealous about the Masoala konas and Mauritiellas which I couldn't manage to sprout a single seed so far.

Jeff...

So, you place the seeds in community pots directly with the germination medium? I suppose you keep them in the shade and only move them outside after they've sprouted, is that correct? I've been using Bo's method lately, in closed small containers and the first transplant attempts is always my nightmare...it would be great if you could describe your germination secrets...  :)

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Oenocarpus distichus

oenodist.jpg

and the last one for tonight

Geonoma baculifera

geonomabac.jpg

Jason

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Ohhh Jay...I give up  :angry:

I'm performing a lot better with my "Kamipalms collection" (C. tennelas are sprouting !) than with these complicated amazonic seeds...(Well, at least my O. distichus are bigger, in the second leaf stage...).

Cheers.

Good to hear your Kami collection is going well . only limited success with the Amazonic seeds - some almost 100% germination and otheres only one or two. The Desmoncocus  and Phoenicophorium seeds are all up too with most germinated.

More photos tomorrow.

J.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Cool Jeff, great to see the "front end" of your Palm operation too!!

Its real awesome to see all these baby palm pics from everyone.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Jeff Searle  :)

The seedlings are terrefic and i envy u

since i try germinating seeds with lots

of failure rate.

It seems that those folks who run nurseries

have magical hands,it should be god's gift

to u guys_I love it.

And now to the your germination area &

seedling location_simply fabulous & terrefic.

i have not seen any nursery as clean & tidy

as yours.the green house is fentastic..

If there is any prize/award that could be given

for well maintained nursery,then i think u should

have it Jeff by all means.

Terrefic job & Keep it up. :)

Love,

Kris(India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Jeff's excellent photos that he posted yesterday inspired me to take a few more. But before I get to that, I'm curious about one thing: Gileno, when you refer to it as a "nightmare", exactly what's happening that you're not happy with?

To separate the seedlings, and put them in individual pots should be a very easy and troublefree process. I have never had any problems. When you're ready to separate them, you should be able to remove part of the medium (whether it's wet or dry makes no difference) in one big chunk, and in that piece you should have a number of seedlings, and then you can easily separate those individually.

Look at Post #2 in this thread (on Page 1). It's a plastic container with a number of Marojejya darianii seedlings. I just potted these up individually a few days ago, and I simply removed 5-6 or so at a time. Think of cutting a large cake with candles in it. You cut a piece, and the candles (typically) stay in place. Then you can cut in smaller pieces, each with its own candle (=seedling). In the case of the plastic container, just use a small garden tool to remove part of the medium.

Here's a bunch of Chambeyronia macrocarpa seedlings that are way overdue to be potted up. But these are tough plants and I never have any problems with them.

post-22-1163703861_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And a few more. This is a Pinanga barnesii

post-22-1163703964_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Welfia regia

post-22-1163704011_thumb.jpg

Wettinia hirsuta

post-22-1163704048_thumb.jpg

Syagrus schizophylla

post-22-1163704127_thumb.jpg

Hedyscepe canterburyana

post-22-1163704162_thumb.jpg

And finally, for now anyway: Voanioala gerardii

post-22-1163704199_thumb.jpg

(Steve from San Diego @ Nov. 05 2006,19:49)

And one more close up showing the petiole coloration and heel.

Hey Steve! I've got 2 of these that I got over a year ago from Floribunda nad Jeff assured me that they are indeed the real thintg. He said that they are just a really variable species. Whatever it is thet are gorgeous. One of mine has the burgandy coloration and the other doesn't but they are definatly the same palm just different colors. 1 green and 1 red!! Wait a minute, is it christmas??  :P

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Wow! I would post my pot of Gaussia maya from a Gileno Collection, but I don't have the software to load the pics from the gifted digicam onto my Windows Xp machine. The software is for only Windows 2000. They are working on their 2nd leaf and I had nearly 100 percent germination.

Thanks for those additional shots, Bo.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Love the seedling shots everyone!  Here's one more.  The highly variable D. onilahensis.  It's all green, no color at all.  But as you can see it's aready weeping quite nicely.

post-126-1163711942_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Its sad that its weeping, its in such a nice place..... :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It's weeping because the Copernicia baileyana seedlings next to it look so fine!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt,

Hey, what's up with that pink pot? Is this common out in California? Hey Bill( BS Man about Palms), I hope you don't use pink pots! I'd be very dissapointed in ya,man. :P

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(bgl @ Nov. 16 2006,15:04)

: Gileno, when you refer to it as a "nightmare", exactly what's happening that you're not happy with?

To separate the seedlings, and put them in individual pots should be a very easy and troublefree process.

Bo, and others:

Thank you for your precise and detailed information about splitting the seedlings after germination. My problem is not the physical part of separating them but especially getting them adapted to the new type of soil. I think I've mentioned that I've been using either moist cocopeat or pure vermiculite in closed containers, a sort of a variation in the old ziplock bag with moist sphagnum moss that I've used in my first germination attempts.

When I put the small seedlings in the new regular soil mix, some species are showing difficulties to adapt, resulting in many casualties...

I wish I had this universal pre-mix potting soil available here in the gardening market where I could start from seed and just keep potting up the plants as they grow up, without the need to shock them into a new soil pH and fert characteristics in the first transplant procedure...(Sorry for my poor english, I hope you understand my concerns). Thanks again.

Gileno,

No problems with your English. I understand exactly what you mean. I use different approaches for different type seedlings. For seedlings with tiny and delicate roots, I also use the medium that I germinate them in when I pot them up in separate pots. I have the pot about 50% full with the "new" soil, then I hold the seedling in the middle of the pot, add some of the medium that it was germinated in close to the roots (i.e. I keep the medium wet and push it onto the roots), and THEN add the new soil on the outside of the little rootclump. That way, seedlings with tiny roots still have some of the medium they are used to, and will gradually grow into the new regular type soil.

For seedlings that have vigorours roots (like the Chambeyronia macrocarpa above) it makes no difference. You can just plop them into regular soil and they'll do fine.

Bo-Göran

PS. And I should add that it's probably inevitable that you will lose some seedlings - especially those with tiny roots.

(Jeff Searle @ Nov. 16 2006,16:06)

Matt,

Hey, what's up with that pink pot? Is this common out in California? Hey Bill( BS Man about Palms), I hope you don't use pink pots! I'd be very dissapointed in ya,man. :P

Jeff

Nope Jeff, Its the macho black plastic or rough wooden boxes for me man...... :cool: .......I guess Matt being blond and blue eyed is comfortable with his sexuality....

Wait!  Did I just say that? ???

Hey guys, what happened to the thread, and where's that moderator when you need him!?? :D  And Zac, yes, it's a word, but if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be using it... ???

Just to get back on track I have to be repetitive because I don't have anything better on file; these are the same Marojejya darianii seedlings in the photo in Post 2 on page 1, but now in separate 1G pots. Cute little things! And I don't even have to use pink pots to make that claim!

post-22-1163749405_thumb.jpg

I have to add this to the seedling thread:

NO FAIR BO AND JEFF!!!!  :D

I want your climate and I want it NOW!!! Germinating seeds outdoors all year long like that! Sheeesh!

Though I really shouldn't complain...I could be more climatically challenged.

I could be Bobby.

(Jeff Searle @ Nov. 16 2006,16:06)

Matt,

Jeff

That's those pots that Canna Tropicanna is sold in out here.  Actually, I think I got that one from Dypsisdean!  haha  Carefull, I'd hate to lose you Jeff! :D :laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"