IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm seedlings

bgl

That's a real nice Loxococcus!

Here are a few more. First, Clinostigma exorrhizum:

post-22-1162349982_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Clinostigma samoense

post-22-1162350038_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dypsis lastelliana

post-22-1162350078_thumb.jpg

Dypsis faneva

post-22-1162350124_thumb.jpg

Dypsis robusta

post-22-1162350165_thumb.jpg

Dypsis prestoniana. A number of different looking Dypsis have been sold under the prestoniana name. Any ideas if this is the "real" thing?

post-22-1162350227_thumb.jpg

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Sept 9 2006. Perhaps the same that I posted above. This is my favorite part, where one sees a mix of leaf types: bifid, and pinnate.

The ones on the far left are Adonidia merrilli, and two Areca catechu from PR.

post-47-1162350266_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

And, finally (for now anyway!), Pinanga coronata. I can't take credit for germinating these... They are all volunteers underneath the parent. Too bad I can't use them as ground cover!

post-22-1162350338_thumb.jpg

And if you want the REALLY SMALL stuff, two Dypsis scottiana (left and front), and a Dypsis sanctaemariae (April 12, 2006). Today only the D. sanctaemariae survives and is pushing its 7th leaf.

post-47-1162350572_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Bo, those D. lastelliana look far better than mine! Any pointers?

First leaf

post-47-1162350713_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

And as of Oct. 14, 2006 (4th sickly leaf). What am I doing wrong!?:

post-47-1162350915_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Licuala sp. harvested in PR. Four months old

post-47-1162351641_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

And now, my 'Gileno' collection: First,

Phoenicophorium borsigianum

post-47-1162352710_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

And my last surviving Syagrus botryophora, which finally decided to emerge after a two month dip:

post-47-1162352913_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Last one for tonight. One year in the ground, 1.5 from seed. Dedicated to Kris

post-47-1162353218_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Frank,

Not sure what the lastelliana problem could be. Despite that all of mine are only on their first leaf right now, they all seem to be fairly robust, and I've found them real easy.

Here's another one I can't take credit for. The "big" palm is a Phoenicophorium borsigianum, but ALL the seedlings are Verschaffeltia splendida. They are "volunteer" seedlings from the mature parent, about 5 ft away. There are a few on the ground, all the way at the bottom of the photo, but what's interesting is that there are THREE Verschaffeltia seedlings that have actually germinated ON the P. borsigianum, in the crack where a frond meets the trunk/stem. There's one at the lower part of the photo (the best looking one! It's in the center, just above the ones on the ground), then there's one in the upper right part of the photo and the third one in the upper left.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1162354719_thumb.jpg

Dear Bo Goran & Tropico  :)

Hey guys i was in a fix not knowing who's

stills & saplings are better !

And all i had to do is feast seeing those lovely

babies_Simply beautiful.

And i request other members too to join in_Please.

And Tropico it is so sweet of you to remember my

favouriate palms & it is so kind of you to dedicate it

to me_Special thanks to U my friend.

Love you Guys,and do you all know that this forum is

becoming better & better every day.it assures me

daily that iam not alone in palm crazyness.

their are threads discussing about palmoholics,but do

U know that even visiting this palmtalk.org site has

become an addiction of some kind to me. :)

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here's one that I hope will be a seedling some day.

Parajubaea toralyi var. microcarpa....naked endosperm w/ radicle diving down!

post-126-1162417668_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

A few more Dypsis. Here's a Dypsis decipiens

post-22-1162419260_thumb.jpg

And two Dypsis mysteries. First a Dypsis sp. hankona. I thought someone said this might actually be D. decipiens, but that's certainly not what it looks like to me. Unless I got my seedlings mixed up...

post-22-1162419369_thumb.jpg

And Dypsis sp. betefaka. This one has a little bit more of the 'decipiens look' I think, just skinnier.

post-22-1162419427_thumb.jpg

And a Dypsis nauseosa that's in the process of pushing out a new frond.

post-22-1162419525_thumb.jpg

And another, somewhat larger, Dypsis nauseosa, this one pushing a pink new frond. What I find interesting about this palm is that up until about the time it begins to form a trunk each new frond is considerably longer than the previous frond, giving the palm an interesting, and somewhat lopsided, look.

post-22-1162419671_thumb.jpg

(bgl @ Oct. 31 2006,22:03)

Dypsis prestoniana. A number of different looking Dypsis have been sold under the prestoniana name. Any ideas if this is the "real" thing?

Bo,

Your D. prestoniana looks just like what we grow over here in South Florida. Can't wait to see these get bigger.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Trópico @ Oct. 31 2006,22:48)

And my last surviving Syagrus botryophora, which finally decided to emerge after a two month dip:

Frank- That gives me hope. I have one remaining Gileno botry and its germinated but no leaf emergence yet. Its inside  and in a 10 gallon aquarium with a glass top and a fluorescent lamp for light. Hopefully it will live.

Great pics everyone. I am enjoying seeing some really rare seedlings here.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Here's one of my favorites; Lemurophoenix halleuxii. Well, actually four of them, showing the progression from the first emerging spike to a two lead seedling.

post-22-1162448320_thumb.jpg

And another colorful palm: the maroon Areca vestiaria

post-22-1162448395_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Very nice plants!

I´ve been delighted by so many photos of healthy and beautiful seedlings.

This one is my first photo, but I could not resist...

In the picture you can see a mixture of some of my seedlings. It is a mixing of temperate plants  and tropical ones.

Tropical: Clinostigma samoense, Phoenicophorium borsigianum, Verschaffeltia splendida, Aiphanes aculeata, Carpoxylon macrospermum and Chryosophila albida.

Temperate: Parajubaea t. torallyi, Parajubaea t. microcarpa, Rhopalostylis sapida, Rapidophyllum hystrix and Trachycarpus wagnerianus.

Regards,

Carlos Simón

IMG_5032.jpg

Nice seedlings, Bo, and Carlos.

Hey Bo, I noticed you surround the seedling with little pellets, are those some kind of fertilizer, or perlite? I've been avoiding fertilizing the little ones since I'm afraid they may burn.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

That's Nutricote (13-13-13 plus micros), 180 day time release. Causes no burn.

(Carlos Simón @ Nov. 02 2006,04:01)

Hi,

Very nice plants!

I´ve been delighted by so many photos of healthy and beautiful seedlings.

This one is my first photo, but I could not resist...

In the picture you can see a mixture of some of my seedlings. It is a mixing of temperate plants  and tropical ones.

Tropical: Clinostigma samoense, Phoenicophorium borsigianum, Verschaffeltia splendida, Aiphanes aculeata, Carpoxylon macrospermum and Chryosophila albida.

Temperate: Parajubaea t. torallyi, Parajubaea t. microcarpa, Rhopalostylis sapida, Rapidophyllum hystrix and Trachycarpus wagnerianus.

Regards,

Carlos Simón

IMG_5032.jpg

Nice kids picture. :D

Hi,

Thank you Trópico and BigFrond.

Talking about seedlings... Few days ago I transplanted some Salacca seedlings: S. Zalacca and S. Wallichiana:

S. zalacca:

IMG_4975a.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4978.jpg

S. wallichiana:

IMG_4985.jpg

Then I remembered I had a few Salacca  seeds in my table ( I´ve received them as "Banana Snakefruit " ). They were in a humid tissue paper into a very

small plastic bag. I received them two months ago but I  forgot them at all:

IMG_4980.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

I was very surprised to discover they were all sprouted and in perfect shape

Fresh seeds are fresh seeds :)

Regards,

Carlos

REALLY nice pics guys!!!

Here's what's happening at my place:

Carpoxlyon spikes:

carpox.JPG

Couple of the better looking bizzies (all the rest are outside in the sun):

biz.JPG

Zac,

a few more for you to practice on... :)

Bo-Göran

First one is the Dypsis that's been sold under the ambositrae name. I assume this is the one referred to as 'fine leaf'. And both of these seedlings came from the same seed batch.

post-22-1162606308_thumb.jpg

Areca guppyana

post-22-1162606350_thumb.jpg

Areca catechu

post-22-1162606392_thumb.jpg

And a huggable little Bactris setulosa!

post-22-1162606567_thumb.jpg