IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm seedlings

bgl

And to my obesrvation i have notice that all the palms that are germinated in baggie bags and left their unattended for bit to

long without changing to bigger containers tend to exhibit this tendency ! and i have many plants which has this feature..

i will post when i take snaps of it too !

here is one more bizie lady still...

post-108-1183531294_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 months later...

Dear Komikrit  :)

lovely still of my favouriate palm ! and my heart felt thanks for the seeds that you sent me of this variety.

As long as iam alive i will rememeber you for this... :)

lots of love to you,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Ptychococcus paradoxus (parent plant is at the Sullivan garden in Kapoho)

post-22-1191379263_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Licuala grandis ("get me out of here...!")

post-22-1191379309_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Bo Goran  :)

the last germination still seen above is fentastic...it seems you have got their 100% germination successes rate !

Great work.  :)

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Bo,

How long your licuala got to germinate? I have some in pot and sleeping for 5 months.

just neeed their said ("get me out of here..!") too :)

Dear Kris,

Thanks for your pictures in another topic, great!

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Komkrit,

The date on the plastic container is just barely legible: 2007-03-16 (March 16, 2007). That was the date I put the seeds in the medium, so in six and a half months they germinated and grew to the size you see in the photo.

Bo-Göran

BigFrond,

Well, actually I'm counting on Californians gradually realizing the folly of growing rainforest palms in the desert climate of SoCal and moving over HERE instead....so far it seems to be working....one by one.... :D  :P

Bo-Göran

(bgl @ Oct. 09 2007,12:27)

BigFrond,

Well, actually I'm counting on Californians gradually realizing the folly of growing rainforest palms in the desert climate of SoCal and moving over HERE instead....so far it seems to be working....one by one.... :D  :P

Bo-Göran

Hey Bo, wait a second.  I'm scratching my scratch-off lotto ticket.  Rats, Two $100,00 and missing a third one!  I'm waiting for my Super Lotto ticket numbers to come in later in the week.

• 5 months later...

I thought this topic could use a bump and a couple new pics...  I don't know if these sp. have already made it into this thread, but here's a couple new seedlings for me!

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01459.jpg

Great topic!  Since I am starting most of my palms from seed, it's been fun seeing what all the different seedlings look like.  I'll add some as well.

Kentiopsis magnifica

DSC_0041.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Cocos nucifera

I think this is the Panama or Pacific Tall variety.  It's a very tall, robust coconut which differs from the smaller growing varieties here.  

DSC_0047.jpg

Verschaffeltia splendida

DSC_0050.jpg

They need to be moved so that are not so crammed together.

DSC_0051.jpg

Metroxylon warburgii, new leaf comes out pink but fades quickly, I was a few days late here.

DSC_0060.jpg

Pigafetta elata - a little more than 5 months from germination

DSC_0061.jpg

Archontophoenix alexandrae

DSC_0085-1.jpg

Archontophoenix maxima

DSC_0084-1.jpg

Bismarckia nobilis

DSC_0080-1.jpg

Johannesteijsmannia perakensis

DSC_0073.jpg

Jeff, you have been busy!!! Do you have plans what to do with them all?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Jeff,

Great looking palms! And I hope you have a plan for those Pigafettas because they're going to need larger pots very soon OR go in the ground. ???  And once they get up to a large 5G size or so you do NOT want to handle them! Plus the roots are kind of tender.

Bo-Göran

(ariscott @ Apr. 04 2008,22:12)

Jeff, you have been busy!!! Do you have plans what to do with them all?

Regards, Ari :)

Hi Ari, a nice selection of them will be added to the landscape around the Bali House and some will also be used to landscape around the new addition to the Bali house when it is completed at the end of this month.  Others will be planted around the property and hopefully some will be sold eventually.  My friends are already spreading the word to other gringos and I'm already getting to be known as "the palm guy" so hopefully I can sell some and get a small nursery started here.  My plans seem to change weekly  :D

(bgl @ Apr. 04 2008,22:23)

Jeff,

Great looking palms! And I hope you have a plan for those Pigafettas because they're going to need larger pots very soon OR go in the ground. ???  And once they get up to a large 5G size or so you do NOT want to handle them! Plus the roots are kind of tender.

Bo-Göran

Bo-Göran, thanks for the heads up!  I actually have been planning for the Pigafettas.  Everytime I walk around the property I make mental notes as to where they will be planted, I'm just waiting for the rainy season to kick in.  I have already potted them up 3 times so I am ready to get them in the ground before they get too big to handle.  I love how fast these palms are!  Now if I could just get my hands on some P filaris seeds......   :)

Archontophoenix purpurea

DSC_0072.jpg

Burretiokentia hapala

DSC_0082.jpg

Dypsis leptocheilos

DSC_0079.jpg

and some new arrivals...

Pritchardia pacifica

DSC_00012.jpg

Drymophloeus litigiosus (beguini)

DSC_000110.jpg

Dear Jeff  :)

lovely work and those young ones are looking fabulous...!

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks Kris  :)

Dypsis sp. "Jurassic Park"

P2270017.jpg