IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

April 2009 weather

Exotic Life

Hi,

I don't see the april topic, so I made the topic for us people :) Spring is here now for a couple weeks and temperatures this week where very good! Recorded 21.4C/70.5F today with loads of sunshine! Forecasts or not bad either with lots of sun but also some clouds and no rain and temperatures much above the normal average.

How is there weather over there?

Robbin

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Hi Robbin,

Summer is still here. We got to 36C yesterday, and even got a bit of rain around midnight for about a minute that didn't end up on any weather report. Going for 33C today and tomorrow before 28C and a thunderstorm on Mon. Then we cool down to mid to high twenties for a bit.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

That temperatures 30-35C have we only in a good summer, the last time we had a lot of temperatures was 2006 that I reached one day to 37.2C and loads of days with 30C and more. Summers 2007 and 2008 where very cool with some nice warm days but only a couple times the 30C. The only good thing was the winters where very mild. Last winter was the coldest for me ever since I started with growing palm trees with the lowest temperatures I ever felt. So maybe a good summer on his way? 2003 was hot and dry, 2006 was hot and dry, so 2009 would be .... ;)

Spring is started very good so far and after a break from november untill januari with cooler then normal temperatures the months are to warm again, but not a problem for me. April is after 10 days 4.7C warmer as average. Yesterday I recorded 24.8C/77F and last night temperature don't drop below 13.3C/55.4F, our average is 13C/55.4F for the days and 4C/39.2F for the nights.

Forecast is nog bad either...

12-04

Day: 20C/68F

Night: 8C/46.4F

13-04

Day: 17C/62.6F

Night: 7C/44.6F

14-04

Day: 19C/66.2F

Night: 7C/44.6F

15-04

Day: 19C/66.2F

Night: 10C/50F

16-04

Day: 17C/62.6F

Night: 10C/50F

The weather conditions are loads of sunshine with sometimes there is a change for a shower in the evening, but it's very local so or it's wet or completly dry! I have to say this April is not so freaky as 2007 with loads of days with 25C, but this April reach the top 5 warmest April's ever. If you look to the last few years how many months are in the top 10 warmest months ever.

And forecast is every day different but the last 2 weeks it's every time a little warmer then forecasted.

Have a nice weekend everybody!

Robbin

Southwest

It loolks like people are not too interested in the weather in April.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Spring is in full motion here.

highs in the low 80's lows around 55-60 at night. perfect weather, the humidity is pleasant as well!

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Spring is in full motion here too as well. Highs in the low 80s, great breezes (too much wind at times), and as opposed to last year great rains too. April is almost always a dry month here, but last year the April drought started in Feb and lasted till we got hurricanes. Then the drought started all over again. This year is just great. Hopefully it will be a good make up year for the last one.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The rains have been less frequent and not as strong over the past few weeks. The signs are that the seasons are starting to shift toward the dry season which arrives in June or July. The Negro River is predicted to have the secon higest season flood recorded of one centimeter below the highest recorded level of 1953 which was 29.69 meters above sea level. The low water point for 2008 was 18.43 meters above sea level. This is a seasonal swing of about 11 meters from the lowest to the highest point. Since the river reaches 8 kms across at Manaus in some points and a depth of around 90 meters in some points this is a lot of water. The Amazon River is also having a record flood season this year. The Amazon acts as a dam of sorts as it`s water backs up the water from the Negro increasiing the area flooded. Some areas of Manaus are already being affected by this flooding and more will be by the high water point somewhere around the end of June. Since we are about 2,500 kms from the Atlantic you can get an idea of just how little the river drops over it`s course.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here in Tubingen Germany, temps have been around (75 ish) 22C in the day and around 10 at night. No palms here. Miss them already.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Well the forecast has been a lot cooler then forecasted, a couple days ago I had almost my first 25C from the year, and more days with 20C or above. The forecast for today and tomorrow is not bad and way above average for april, then 2 cooler days with a change for heavy thunderstorms that can bring on local places lots of rain! And then very mild weather returns again with 17-19C....

Forecast for today is 21C/69.8F and for tomorrow 25C/77F and the average for the days is 13C/55.4F! I hope this are the first signs of a good long and hot summer to forget the last 2 relative cool summers.

I hope that I get some rain on thursday because it's getting dry here for us standards, only 4 mm/0.1574 inch of rain so far this month, and it's looking like this is gonna be the thirth month this year with a rainfall below average if I must believe the long term forecast.

Robbin

Southwest

Good to see nature is running now, leafes are on the trees again, lots of springflowers, lots of little animals like bees etc are active again...

Here are a couple shots from the dutch weather forum..

104200913423.jpg

22420091252500.jpg

7026027373593.jpg

Southwest

And the atmosphere was good enoug to produce some good thunderstorms in the east and north of the country, not here in the southwest so no rain here.

21420091042360.jpg

3420091214.jpg

1142009124291.jpg

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

Robbin, those are fantastic photos [esp like the lightning :mrlooney: the magnolia reminds me that the Netherlands has a mild climate.

Interesting reminder of winter is heading toward California w/ very strong & cold winds moving in from the north [where else?]. Incredibly, it was snowing down to sea level in Seattle area yesterday. San Francisco is now reporting 48F\ 8.8 under sunny skies at 9AM. Once the wind subsides minimum temps should drop into the 40's everywhere but San Diego bay area. Quite a shift from recent warmth. The first heat wave of spring will follow this weekend.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Nice pictures Robbin. Thanks.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

It's been a consistently cold spring here (following a cold winter)--lots of Spring plants are coming up very late. Got down to freezing 2 nights ago!

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Happ,

I can vouch for the strong, cold winds from the North. Yesterday was a very strange weather day at my place. The wind blew very hard all day with gusts up to 50 mph. (More Washingtonia fronds down). It was clear most of the day and the temp. rose to about 63, but it felt much colder with the dry wind.

In the late afternoon, storm clouds appeared to the East and a very narrow north/south line moved slowly in my direction. I could see heavy virga and rain only a few miles to the east of me. We finally had a brief heavy rain, and then hail for a few minutes. No rain was forcast for the Bay Area yesterday, and it was a unique situation. It's very unusual for build ups to come from the east in my location. The upper air must have been very cold. It's 41F here this morning.

Looking forward to that heat wave.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Happ,

I can vouch for the strong, cold winds from the North. Yesterday was a very strange weather day at my place. The wind blew very hard all day with gusts up to 50 mph. (More Washingtonia fronds down). It was clear most of the day and the temp. rose to about 63, but it felt much colder with the dry wind.

In the late afternoon, storm clouds appeared to the East and a very narrow north/south line moved slowly in my direction. I could see heavy virga and rain only a few miles to the east of me. We finally had a brief heavy rain, and then hail for a few minutes. No rain was forcast for the Bay Area yesterday, and it was a unique situation. It's very unusual for build ups to come from the east in my location. The upper air must have been very cold. It's 41F here this morning.

Looking forward to that heat wave.

Dick

Dick

That brief storm was the extreme western fringe of a massive system over the Great Basin. The airmass would be considered cold for January so it is possible for frost to form tonight in calm areas up & down California. Then a quick switch to very warm weather will begin tomorrow & into the weekend.

It is very windy & only 56F\ 13.3C right now at 11AM [recorded a minimum of 48F\ 8.8 this morning. :unsure:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I'm on the ESE side of my hill, so I've been completely blocked from the winds. It's been dead calm at my place the entire time, even though the wind is howling where I work in Pasadena. It got extremely cold at my place last night. Most of the night was holding around 8C (46F), but there was a short dip to a low of 6C (43F) around 4AM. I assume my extreme cold was probably caused by the lack of wind...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

That is very cold for you Jack. The wind was literally howling up my west facing canyon all night. It woke me up several times. I have to stake down everything at my place or it'll blow away. Conversely, during Santa Anas I don't get as bad of winds as some places. I wonder who would win in a fight between your hill and my hill?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'm on the northeast side of my hill so north wind is often the strongest each year. In-fact a north-facing ficus tree normally experiences some wind damage each winter. The temp dropped to 48F well before midnight & anytime the wind lightened-up. Quick look a minimums this morning included 43F at Getty Center\ 48F downtown. Only San Diego bay remained above 50F. Could be even colder tonight if wind dies down. :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

That is very cold for you Jack. The wind was literally howling up my west facing canyon all night. It woke me up several times. I have to stake down everything at my place or it'll blow away. Conversely, during Santa Anas I don't get as bad of winds as some places. I wonder who would win in a fight between your hill and my hill?

Yeah, I really didn't plan it this way, but being on the east side of the hill is really nice because it blocks pretty much all the wind from winter storms that come off the ocean. Fortunately the wind from Santa Ana's isn't much of a problem in my area - I'm surrounded by valleys so there's nothing to funnel the wind...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

April is turning out warm for us with an average of 15Cmin to 30Cmax vs the long term average of 14C min to 26C max. My beehive ginger has just put out another flower.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It seemed colder last night but evidently not by much. Data review indicates a chilly calm night [mostly 40's] due to moderation of the airmass. Hot weather will replace the chill this weekend. :mrlooney:

Lo: 47F\ 8.3C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I got down to 42F night before last. I didn't realize it got so cold.!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I got down to 42F night before last. I didn't realize it got so cold.!

The last of the cold air is advecting east & temps this weekend will be quite hot. NWS is forecasting minimums in the 70's in the foothills by Sunday night w/ possible 100F\ 37.7 heat inland :blink: Could be time to protect some sensitive palms with a shade cloth.

Lo: 51F\ 10.5C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I am finally moving my H. belmoreanas outside! Yippee!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Looks like we are trying to make up for last year's drought. Our normally dry April's 3rd rain is on the way any minute. I see the lightening and am just starting to hear the thunder. Here is the forecast, so it should get interesting here any minute now.

"PEA SIZE HAIL AND WIND GUSTS TO 50 MPH ARE LIKELY WITH THIS STORM. VERY HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE PONDING OF WATER ON AREA ROADWAYS... ESPECIALLY THOSE IN URBAN OR POOR DRAINAGE AREAS. RESIDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO MONITOR THE SITUATION CLOSELY AND BE PREPARED TO TAKE THE PROPER ACTIONS SHOULD A WARNING BE ISSUED. "

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Whoope!!!

Low 90's forcast here for the next 3 days, and it's about time. It will be nice to have a little heat to kick start everything into growth. My roses and Iris are beautiful now and in full bloom. They may get a little singed.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It looks like April is gonna be a lot warmer then average to, but then on different levels then Tyrone his temperatures. This april is far 5.5C warmer then average, and high pressure systems mean our weather. The forecast for this week and so far we can look give us above average temperatures, sun and very dry conditions.

Forecast for the coming days will be 19-22C and dry and only sun, sun and more sun. Last week I've got some rain, but in the north of our country they don't have got rain or not many. If the night temperatures will be not lower then last week it's possible to smash te record from April 2007. April 2007 was the warmest April ever, and maybe April 2009 will smash that record to be the warmest ever. We will see... Last week i've got almost 26C/78.8F and the average is only 13C/55.4F and that was nice, but temperatures between the 19-22C with loads of sunshine is good for spring to!

It's strange to see that in the last few years almost every month was higher then average and every month warm/heat records has been broken last winter was so cold. From November till februari we had cold weather, and seen my lowest temperature ever. But it looks like it was a break, because warming up the climate is back again where it was. So maybe a good summer this year? Because last 2 summer where above average but because the rain and cloudy days it was not that nice. Also that we will see...

Here are 2 pictures from somebody that lives in the north of Holland.

21420091934440.jpg

2142009192941.jpg

Nature is running right now...

Robbin

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

For the first time in 3 days, we are seeing the sun again. Great rains again coming just strong enough to insure saturated ground, but with very little run off. Rains once a week. What a delightful spring.

95F at my place yesterday. That's summer time hot!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The Bay Area is broiling! We're expecting 97F in my area today after yesterday's 92F. Even San Francisco is expected to break 90F today. That's HOT! We've been issued Heat Advisories today from noon to 8PM.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

96.4F in the shade and 110F in the greenhouse yesterday. Not dry either.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

101 F. in Walnut Creek today during the warmest part of the day. Still 95F at 4:45 PM. Records are being broken today. A/C in the house on for the first time of the year. I love it.........bring it on.

Dick

Richard Douglas

101 F. in Walnut Creek today during the warmest part of the day. Still 95F at 4:45 PM. Records are being broken today. A/C in the house on for the first time of the year. I love it.........bring it on.

Dick

Wow, you guys got the heat. Barely breaking 80 degrees here. But I know our heat is coming, so I am enjoying the cool.

Here is my unbelievable readings off the sensors today:

In shade - 104.5F

Greenhouse - 111.9F

89.9F ar 7pm.

Edited by osideterry

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

This is the hottest I've ever been at the new place. And it's April!!!!!

100F in the shade. Carpoxylon, Pritchardia, Kentiopsis pyriformis all sunburned badly. :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

This is the hottest I've ever been at the new place. And it's April!!!!!

100F in the shade. Carpoxylon, Pritchardia, Kentiopsis pyriformis all sunburned badly. :angry:

Same here :rant: winter's damage compounded by spring heat

But the weather will radically cool down to below normal values by this weekend [coastal clouds sound nice :winkie:

73F\ 22.7 minimum today

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Downtown SD recorded 98F yesterday!!! A record that was broken from 1899!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"