IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Giant Bird of Paradise

GREENHAND

I have this one in this pot for a couple of years with no blooms. any tips for bloom production.post-59-1238614834_thumb.jpgpost-59-1238614921_thumb.jpg

Looks like you need to put the whole deal into a bigger pot. I don't know if that will make it flower, but it might.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Are you in a zone lower than 9b? Yhis is a photo of a rare double, little to much fert. I guess, Ed

post-3109-1238621227_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I cut all of the pups off and allow the strength of the plant to be focused on the main trunk. I ferilze (top dress) with compost twice a year. It is in the ground.

I flowered last year and a new flag leaf has appeared meaning a new flower this year.

I am in a 9b area.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

You should have the heat. Here folks nail potted things like Hibiscus and Bougainvillea with a combo of Miracle Gro, Epsom Salts, and Super Bloom to push things into blooming. Some of these formulas are so strong you would think they would kill the plants outright, but they work and they work well. I'll see if I can pull up one of these recipes and post later.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I always heard they flower best when neglected. My clump in FL was in a spot where it received very little supplemental watering. In addition I would throw a couple handfulls of fertilizer around it maybe once a year. It grew fast from a 3 gal size and was flowering in just a few years. It was probably my most neglected plant in my yard, yet it always looked good and flowered for me many times. They are really tough plants!

Unfortunately I cannot grow them here. I tried, but they get black sooty mold very easily.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I am not saying this is the right thing for your Giant Bird of Paradise, but for those of us who have a winter, this is one person's technique for Hibiscus. - keith.

Ted and Doris Schrade, who grow 48 hibiscus plants along their driveway on Fanny Drive (near St. Pious Church), have tips that have helped them grow car-stopping, eye-popping plants.

First, because part of their planting is in full sun and a smaller part in filtered shade, they can quickly point to the superior bloom of those in sun, and there in lies their first tip. Full, direct sun!

Next month, in mid-October, pencil-sized stems of their plants will be pruned so that five eyes remain. Smaller stems will be cut back to two eyes. A sealer will be applied to all cuts. Cuttings will be potted. When temperatures go to 35 degrees, and until danger of frost has passed, the plants will stay in a portable green house heated by a kerosene heater. During this period each plant will be given one cup of Peters 20-20-20 diluted at half-strength every other week.

Full-strength fertilizing with 20-20-20 every other week will begin when the plants are moved from the greenhouse. At this time the first of three feedings of Ironite, one cup per plant, is will be applied. Ironite will be applied again at the same rate near Memorial Day and on August 15.

Magnesium, in the form of Epsom salts, will be applied at the rate of one-half cup per plant just after buds appear, and again around the Fourth of July. Dolomite lime will be applied at the rate of one handful per plant some 4-5 times a year, or when the leaves look yellow.

The potting mixture for plants and cuttings is composed of one bag each of pine-bark mulch, cow manure and humus, all purchased at local discount garden centers. Containers, which are built by Ted, are 18x18x18-inch cypress boxes with hardware cloth at the base, each holding about 25 gallons of potting mix.

Spraying as needed with Spectracide Bug Stop takes care of most bug problems.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I am not saying this is the right thing for your Giant Bird of Paradise, but for those of us who have a winter, this is one person's technique for Hibiscus. - keith.

Ted and Doris Schrade, who grow 48 hibiscus plants along their driveway on Fanny Drive (near St. Pious Church), have tips that have helped them grow car-stopping, eye-popping plants.

First, because part of their planting is in full sun and a smaller part in filtered shade, they can quickly point to the superior bloom of those in sun, and there in lies their first tip. Full, direct sun!

Next month, in mid-October, pencil-sized stems of their plants will be pruned so that five eyes remain. Smaller stems will be cut back to two eyes. A sealer will be applied to all cuts. Cuttings will be potted. When temperatures go to 35 degrees, and until danger of frost has passed, the plants will stay in a portable green house heated by a kerosene heater. During this period each plant will be given one cup of Peters 20-20-20 diluted at half-strength every other week.

Full-strength fertilizing with 20-20-20 every other week will begin when the plants are moved from the greenhouse. At this time the first of three feedings of Ironite, one cup per plant, is will be applied. Ironite will be applied again at the same rate near Memorial Day and on August 15.

Magnesium, in the form of Epsom salts, will be applied at the rate of one-half cup per plant just after buds appear, and again around the Fourth of July. Dolomite lime will be applied at the rate of one handful per plant some 4-5 times a year, or when the leaves look yellow.

The potting mixture for plants and cuttings is composed of one bag each of pine-bark mulch, cow manure and humus, all purchased at local discount garden centers. Containers, which are built by Ted, are 18x18x18-inch cypress boxes with hardware cloth at the base, each holding about 25 gallons of potting mix.

Dang, those people are more psycho than we are! :lol::blink::winkie:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If you have to do all that stuff, I would just grow something else.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Mine blooms all year round, I just hit it with the 10-10-10, when I do the lawn, and water it every other day, min., Ed

post-3109-1238648586_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Looks like you need to put the whole deal into a bigger pot. I don't know if that will make it flower, but it might.

Yes it is about ready to bust out of that pot, i will do so :)

WOW and i though i was radical!!

Hard to see, but in the center of this photo is a flag leaf and the beginings of a flower

post-646-1238705950_thumb.jpg

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"