IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What does electricity cost per kwh where you live?

Really full garden

Most of my friends and family in the States have the impression that everything in Guatemala must be very cheap and that the cost of living must be very low.Nothing could be further from the truth.Guatemala City is the second most expensive city in Latin America.

I just got my latest electricity bill and divided the total by the kwh used and my real cost per kwh is $0.27 per kwh.

I think my brother in Houston ,Texas pays around $0.10.

Our service is incredibly bad and our electricity is out atleast 8hrs per week.We had an outage in January that lasted 3.5 days! Everyone here has to have generators to survive.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

My total cost per kWh is $0.15 in Cincinnati. I have no idea what the national average is, so that could be a fair price.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Here in Spain we pay KWh $0.14.

John the company that provides service in my area is from SPAIN - Union Fenosa.They have such a horrible reputation that they were almost thrown out of Nicaragua.It is common here for protests to get out of hand and their offices are ransacked and burned.

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Scott, I just paid the electric bill so I had it handy and figured it out. At the current exchange rate, we pay $0.25 US per KWH. The electric bill for this entire property was over $1600 last month. That's for 3 houses and a lot of outdoor lights.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

In Portugal, the price of electricity depends on the time of day.

0,0663€ (22h-08h), 0,1357€ (peak hours - around noon and supper) 0,1198€ (the rest of the day)

plus 5% VAT.

Algarve, Portugal

Zone 10.

Mediterranean Climate moderated by the Atlantic Ocean

Our residential rate is as follows:

Customer charge, per month $4.12

Energy charge, per kWh $0.03327

Current fuel charge, per kWh $0.04800

Blended together for a residential customer, the average cost per kWh is $0.08539.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

interesting topic.

Electric - Residential

Customer Charge $6.32 - single phase; $22.13- three phase

Energy Rate (non-fuel) $0.05848 per kWh

Fuel and Purchase Power Charge Rate (ECRC) $0.07605 per kWh

Effective Billing Rate $0.13453 per kWh

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

This is very interesting to me.So far Jeff in Costa Rica and I are the winners (losers)for the highest rates.In Guatemala salaries are 75% lower than those in the States or Europe so these rates we pay have a much greater impact on our pocketbooks.

I know what you mean Scott. Most of the people in this area make between $400 - $600 per month. I don't know how they can afford to pay such high rates for electric.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Jordan (Residential):

Range(kWh) ----- Cost ($/kWh)

1 - 160 ---- 0.045

161 - 300 ---- 0.10

301 - 500 ---- 0.12

500 - ... ---- 0.16

Plus taxes of about 7.25 $/month

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

This is an interesting topic. I would imagine that our electric rates here are closer to Guatemala and Costa Rica than the States. But, I really don`t know exactly because I do not have an electric meter at my house nor at my business as the electric company has never come by to put one in. So, currently my cost per KW is zero. I am sure this will change some day, but I am not going to call them to come and fix the problem. Maybe when the street finally gets fixed something will happen. As sort of a picture of how things work in Manaus I had to install wiring at my business place where we are building a container loading dock so I could run my table saw which is 380 volts as well as set things up to install AC and other equipment when we get the office fixed up. So, I had to run new heavy duty wires off of the power posts. In order to get this done I needed the power company to hook up the cables into the power lines, or at least their employees. So, I had a guy watch for a power company truck coming by and flag them down to do the hook up. It cost me about 40 USD to have this done and the power company will never know the difference as their employees make extra cash doing these non official hook ups. I am sure that they will come around sooner than later to put in the meter as it is on a main street in a newer part of town. Maybe factors like this actually raise the cost of electricity over all, and maybe I should call the power company to make sure that I am totally legal. But, in the mean time I will enjoy the break in overhead.

At my place in the country in Paricatuba the rural power company has been saying fo the last year they they are going to put in power to our part of the village. The power poles are piled on the ground in a few places, but as of yet no power. My mother in law runs what is called here a gato, or cat, illegal connection off of another illegal connection to her place, but she did this with a telephone wire, so her power hardly powers a fan or a television.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

This is an interesting topic. I would imagine that our electric rates here are closer to Guatemala and Costa Rica than the States. But, I really don`t know exactly because I do not have an electric meter at my house nor at my business as the electric company has never come by to put one in. So, currently my cost per KW is zero. I am sure this will change some day, but I am not going to call them to come and fix the problem. Maybe when the street finally gets fixed something will happen. As sort of a picture of how things work in Manaus I had to install wiring at my business place where we are building a container loading dock so I could run my table saw which is 380 volts as well as set things up to install AC and other equipment when we get the office fixed up. So, I had to run new heavy duty wires off of the power posts. In order to get this done I needed the power company to hook up the cables into the power lines, or at least their employees. So, I had a guy watch for a power company truck coming by and flag them down to do the hook up. It cost me about 40 USD to have this done and the power company will never know the difference as their employees make extra cash doing these non official hook ups. I am sure that they will come around sooner than later to put in the meter as it is on a main street in a newer part of town. Maybe factors like this actually raise the cost of electricity over all, and maybe I should call the power company to make sure that I am totally legal. But, in the mean time I will enjoy the break in overhead.

At my place in the country in Paricatuba the rural power company has been saying fo the last year they they are going to put in power to our part of the village. The power poles are piled on the ground in a few places, but as of yet no power. My mother in law runs what is called here a gato, or cat, illegal connection off of another illegal connection to her place, but she did this with a telephone wire, so her power hardly powers a fan or a television.

dk

Don, its somewhat similar here.There are many people who have a uña de gato(cat nail) installed on their meters.Guess who provides this service? The meter reader! So if you give the meter reader a bribe( about $12.00) a month he keeps your bill low.I have never been tempted to do this.Ive got scruples.

Scott,

That is why a lot of things just won`t change fast in Latin America. In reality the underlying culture in the region runs on corruption in one form or another and until this changes, if it ever does, a lot of things just won`t go forward. But, what can I say, the music is good, the food is good, the weather is good, and the women are beautiful and abundant. So, things could be worse.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

My March electric bill rates break down as follows:

First 1000 KWH @ 6.34900 cents.

Above 1000 KWH @ 7.34900 cents.

Fuel charge first 1000 KWH @ 6.2900 cents.

Fuel charge above 1000 KWH @ 7.2900 cents.

I used a total of 1003 KWH over my last billing period, which was 29 days from 02/04/09 - 03/05/09, for a cost of $138.32.

However, once Obama's cap & trade system is in place, it is projected by some that the typical family's electric bill will rise $3,100.00 a year -- if the cost is passed on to the consumer.

Mad about palms

• 4 weeks later...

As I read my bill (by the light of my nose!)

12 cents per KWH . . . . . for a total of $32.12.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Interesting question and comparisons! My Gas & Electric bills are combined and I have them set up for automatic online bill pay, and I honestly haven't looked at a bill for over two years, so this was a good exercise for me.

Baseline allowance of 346 kWh billed at $.04363 (only slightly higher than the $.04328 billed in 2006).

101% - 130% of Baseline 104 kWh @ $.06380

131% - 200% of Baseline 15 kWh @ $.21818

DWR Bond Charge 564 kWh @ $.00491

Electric Energy Charge..............(my bill).........$37.25

DWR Bond Charge......................................... ... 2.28

Trasmission........................................................ 5.97

Distribution....................................................... 33.37

Public Purpose Programs..................................-15.77

Nuclear Decommissioning..................................... .21

Competition Transition Charge............................. .99

Reliability Services................................................ .24

Total Electric Costs...........................................$64.54

With all the extra fluff charges, that works out to $ .1387 per kWh.

Fascinating reading, my bill is, raises a lot of questions.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

a little over 12cents/Kwh

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

in méxico we pay electricity every 2 months.

this is what i pay for the 3 persons in the house. i put in us dollars, 13.0 pesos for one dollar (average for these days).

0-150 kWh $.0051

150-250 kWh $.0844

250 + kWh $.1791

in these last 2 months we use 487 kWh and pay $50.46. this includes IVA tax of 10%.

this is average of $25.23 us dollars for 1 month, 244 kWh average for 1 month.

average of $.1034 for one kWh.

if you use more then 3000 kWh in some time of 12 months you must pay $.1791 for ALL ELECTRICITY, and then is very expensive. this the company of electricity says is total kWh of last 6 invoices.

some people dont pay any thing for electricity they put the wires (diablos) on the electric cables in the outside and get electricity free, but this only in very poor areas.

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6