IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pictures of Palms at My Farm

Ken Johnson

Ken I bet that Brahea is B. brandegii

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Excellent specimens Ken, you have got some serious palms there. Can you bare root the larger ones and ship UPS ez.gif

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Excellent specimens Ken, you have got some serious palms there. Can you bare root the larger ones and ship UPS ez.gif

I can deliver anywhere in the world for free as long as it's in Miami-Dade County.

I do ship overseas all the time but their restrictions are much lighter.

Portugal, Africa, Virgin Islands but not California!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Dats fo shizzle some good stuff dere, Ken! A-number 1. Load up a semi and start driving west, whats left by the time you get to California will still sell here! :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nice stuff Ken. I gotta make the drive someday soon!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

If only my zone were two numbers higher I would be there tomorrow. Heck, I'd be there tomorrow if it were one number higher.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow! as Keith said.....if we were only a couple of zones higher. I have driven the 10 plus hours down to Homestead with a trailer to pick up palms for my current home. I would do it again.....but not for my current location. When I move to my new property in a few years I will be in full buying mode. What colder hardy exotic stuff you got down there Ken?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wow, I still get nostalgic seeing those Carpies in their glory.

Hmmmm. . . .

Everyone, don't just look at the pictures . . . .

Go down and visit Ken's place, and bring some money, honey!

Dave,

I beleive those are foxyladys (V-Fox) if this is the pic you are referring too,the first pic?

post-50-1238514918_thumb.jpg

Ken,

Really nice stuff, as usual!

Are you trying to make it easy or hard for me to pick out what I want? :winkie:

I think I had a bit of a brain swoon -- the Foxy Ladies, Carpoxylon and Satakentias all kinda merged . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have grown lots of Heteropsathe but they are slow sellers. Here is one I transplanted a few years ago. It is out of the ground but has rooted back in on the bottom. Need any seeds?

Also pictured is a close up of Gastrococos. A valuable plant for something so ugly!

Not ugly at all! I love the spikes or needles rather.

You have a wonderful collection.

I think Dave saw the first pic and thought they were Carpenteria. No, they are Veitchia X Wodyetia.

The second pic is a Thrinax of some kind. I think parvaflora. It has a curly leaf. I have grown excelsa too but they are slow and tempermental when transplanted.

Ken do you know what specie of veitchia was used for this cross?

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I figured I shoot a few of my best palms to share here.

Ken,

I'm way overdue to post some of the pictures I took while at your place earlier this month so here goes (although a couple of yours were literally identical to mine! -- specifically your shot of the pool area from your back sliding glass door and the one of that Coccothrinax alta being grown in a hole in a oolitic limestone boulder)

Since you didn't show this one, I will... :drool:

IMG_04321.jpg

(yes...for a few coins you can have this little jewel installed in your yard...THE BORRASUS!!!)

IMG_04331.jpg

(I had Christian Faulkner -- cfkingfish -- stand on the base & hold it so it wouldn't tip over... :rolleyes: )

IMG_04301.jpg

(mondo grass as groundcover -- a little high maintenance at first but very nice once it takes hold)

IMG_04291.jpg

(hmmm...looks awfully familiar... :winkie: )

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

IMG_04341.jpg

(another ultra cool Zombie...)

IMG_04371.jpg

(Lots 'o palms big and small...)

IMG_04351.jpg

(again...)

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

IMG_04391.jpg

(World's largest old man palm...well -- at least the biggest one I've ever seen :drool: )

IMG_04401.jpg

(Simply awesome...)

Thanks again Ken for a really great time -- c'ya again soon...

Tim

amazing stuff! :drool::drool::drool:

just kidding! someone was bound to do it sooner or later.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Very nice... :drool::)

the toddy palm,corypha's are fentastic !

keep up the good work.. :greenthumb:

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Fantastic collection there Ken ; surprised to see a Howea belmoreana so far south !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

How in Sam's green hell did I miss this show.Cocothrinax,Thrinax,Licuala,Ceroxolon,Brahea(Fla?),Howea(Fla?),Sarkentia,Kentiopis,...Well you get the picture.Not to mention those insane Borrassus,enough to drive poor Christian insane.

All other's stand down and give this guy some Quan! Anybody who gives no Quan to Ken is flat jealous or stupid!Let the Big Dog Eat!

What you look for is what is looking

Thanks Bubba for the good review.

I posted an ad for Zombia in the For Sale section. A few people are interested, even Kosta wants me to ship to Greece! Don't know about that but I sure would be excited to sell some stock here in Florida. The nursery business is so slow here that field nurseries are building up stocks of bigger and bigger palms. There are now hundreds of thousands of royal palms with 20 feet of wood and NO buyers. Yes a few sales are being made but many nurseries have stock that is turning brown because they can't afford maintenance!

I am entertaining any offers and will sell for prices never before seen in the rare palm business. The Zombias I listed are a good example. They once sold for $200/ft and now are priced at $50/ft.

Reading about Home Depot selling Kentiopsis and Keiodoxa make me think that rare is not so rare any more and that prices will slide even more before they go up again.

If anyone knows about a big garden project using rare palms let them know I have plenty and that prices can't be beat.

Anybody here need a Chamberonia?

post-50-1239116674_thumb.jpg

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Hi Ken,

Your property and the palms look fabulous.

I don't think I'd take the Chambeyronia but if you could ship it to me in Brazil I'd love to buy the Borassus "seedling" shown with Christian in the picture... :lol: Is it a female?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Hi Ken,

Your property and the palms look fabulous.

I don't think I'd take the Chambeyronia but if you could ship it to me in Brazil I'd love to buy the Borassus "seedling" shown with Christian in the picture... :lol: Is it a female?

It is a male but I can ship it. Just tell me the name of the airlines you prefer. :mrlooney:

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Ken,

Everything in the nursery looks great. I know the feeling and have seen lots of nurseries of lately, the state of affairs are in very bad shape. Many of these large royals, foxtails, veitchia's, etc. will no doubt be bulldozed over and put into a big trash pile. It will definitely happen, it's just a question of when.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Yes Jeff I just saw royals advertised at $10/ft of wood for a 10' of wood palm. That is an all time low. Back in the day we got $100/ft.

Anyone want to buy a farm? There are plenty getting ready for sale at those prices!

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Ken,

How big are these Carpoxylons? I am amazed that the root balls do not look all that big. Is that all the palms need?

How about Carpoxylon?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Wow, Ken. Awesome palms and your pool area is lovely.

Where in Florida are you?

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

I just planted some A.vesti. that I got from Pious. Just small ones. i think I van get them going in my soil. time will tell.

Cindy, I am in the Redland just north of Homestead.

Y'all know what this is?

post-50-1239191262_thumb.jpg

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

• 2 weeks later...
Ken,

How big are these Carpoxylons? I am amazed that the root balls do not look all that big. Is that all the palms need?

How about Carpoxylon?

Joe,

You may have seen my posts about root prunning in order to transplant without shock? It also helps facilitate small root ball size which in turn makes transporting palms easier and safer. In most areas of So Fla we have very limited top soil or sandy soil that falls away easy. Both conditions can be delt with by concentrating roots in a small ball. This is what root prunning does.

Here is a Syagrus amara that is growing in a small hole in the rock. It gets drip irrigation and is a beauty. When I dig it I will cut the rock away over time and the ball will be relitivly small. New roots will be already developed and it will not have any set back time.

post-50-1239986952_thumb.jpg

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Wow Ken,

I dont know what "palm heaven" is like, but that must be it on your farm. Such an incredible diversity and everything looks just explosively healthy! I cant imagine what it is like to walk around in such a place, let alone wake up to it every day, sensual overload for sure. The pics are stunning, but they cant possibly do it justice. Its just magnificent, over the top magnificent! I am in awe!

tom

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I just planted some A.vesti. that I got from Pious. Just small ones. i think I van get them going in my soil. time will tell.

Cindy, I am in the Redland just north of Homestead.

Y'all know what this is?

Looks like Brahea armata to me.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Wow Ken,

I dont know what "palm heaven" is like, but that must be it on your farm. Such an incredible diversity and everything looks just explosively healthy! I cant imagine what it is like to walk around in such a place, let alone wake up to it every day, sensual overload for sure. The pics are stunning, but they cant possibly do it justice. Its just magnificent, over the top magnificent! I am in awe!

tom

Thanks Tom,

The nickname of the farm is "every square inch farms". I grow as many as I can on a 1.7 acre lot. There are palms outside every window and the sceen changes all the time as I sell them!

Here is one of the slowest palms I grow. A Copernicia macroglosa. It is about 15 years old! The slowest palm I have is Copernicia ridgida.

post-50-1239988244_thumb.jpg

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Wow Ken,

tom

Thanks Tom,

The nickname of the farm is "every square inch farms". I grow as many as I can on a 1.7 acre lot. There are palms outside every window and the sceen changes all the time as I sell them!

Here is one of the slowest palms I grow. A Copernicia macroglosa. It is about 15 years old! The slowest palm I have is Copernicia ridgida.

Ken,

Sure sounds and looks like paradise to me. You have so many species that I :drool: over and they all look so robust and healthy. There are even several, like that magnificent sabal causiarum, and the copernicia hospita :drool: that could probably work very well for me here. But in my dreams, I would live in your climate and do just what you do, grow 'em all. Thanks for the pics of the farm, they sure look like a palm fantasy land to me.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Tom, Having the good fortune of touring Ken's Ranch with Pious, Christian and my oldest son, I can tell you it is aptly named(maybe a Palm Gem every inch). What goes beyond pictures is the ambiance and smells of the vegetation mixed with the salt air. Redlands combines true Palm/Rare Fruit (Jackfruit,et al) Farms with very expensive Mansions and a corner store out of the movies. Everyone should make this journey.

What you look for is what is looking

Ken, I'm 335 miles north of you in Florida's arctic. Does your collection include palms that might grow where it gets into the mid 20's every winter? What about the high teens every once in a while (say 10-20 years or so). I've given up on the zone 10 (or more tender) species as their brown fronds remind me I'm in Jacksonville, not Hawaii. For reference, I've had good luck with Leucothrinax morrissii, Copernecia alba and prunifera. I even have Bismarkia here though it lost about 50% of its foliage this winter (with no protection). The Australian species of Livistona have done well too. I wouldn't mind finding some larger Livistona nitida for example.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Florida nursermen,

Don't bulldoze your palms yet. Obama is talking sweet to Cuba. If Cuba opens up there will be an exodus of palm nuts to Cuba. There might be a huge market for palms down there if the goverment will allow palms to be shipped in from Florida.

If I weren't so damn old I'd be studying Spanish and looking around for a nice old run down spanish mansion on an acre in a Havana suburb. Humm, I wonder what one of those would cost? If this should come to pass, and if any of you do it, please have a nice guest room for my visit(s).

Dick

Richard Douglas