IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Difficult Neighbors - What would you do?

junglegalfla

Actually, Waykool has the best way of dealing with his neighbors . . .

He has the most awesome bamboo curtain around his whole place.

Like Red China! :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hey Bren - sorry to hear about ur neighbour issues - reading some of the posts it sounds like we all have neighbour problems including myself. I have a pair of weirdos next door who did noisy building work late in the evenings including taking walls down at 10 and 11pm whilst building an extension last year :rage: but being of a lower IQ they don't seem to realise I'll be doing plenty of renovation work to my property in the next couple of years so it'll be payback time (in fact double time) :lol:

They also have a large tree on their side of the boundary which is now leaning into my garden - not sure if its dying or has root problems - he's been saying for the last 2 years he's going to cut it down but so far nothing!

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated with or without the use of dog poo :lol:

Mr. T!

How about a picture!

I wish I could tell you what to do, but the law in England's sometimes different than here.

How about a pic of your garden in general?

We LOVE gardens in England!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These neighbors were always a bit odd but we remained cordial with them and then things changed. This winter my oldhammi bamboo dropped a little too much leaf litter for their liking. They'd sweep small piles and leave it at the property line for days in order to make a point. They have never said anything to me. They stopped talking to us all together. I can't imagine me doing that to my neighbors on the other side with the large live oak. What, rake the leaves and leave 20 bags sitting there? Now that we're getting rain and the drying winds are gone, this won't be an issue.

I got home last night to realize they had crossed the line. They planted 3 shrubs on my property. This is my queen palm in the pics. My fence is set one ft inside my property line according to my land survey. These twigs are burning bush. A large northern growing shrub which I don't believe can even grow here long term. I am just pissed that they didn't have the decency to talk to me. How would you handle this? They are loud, brash people with no regard to zoning or code (they have an illegal tenant, water that weed patch out front twice daily even tho we're under restrictions)

I'm at my wits end with these people. Makes me really unmotivated to do anything more in my garden, just get the heck away from them :(

100_0704.jpg

100_0706.jpg

100_0706.jpg

Where I come from only "trash" park thier cars on the front lawn. Sme cities will cite you for it.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

You should show them the land survey record that they are trespassing. If I were you, I would get rid of that weak, flimsy picket fence next to their house. Then you can put up a mortar wall right on the property line. This should shield you from the neighbor. I did this at my last house. BTW, their front yard is crap. They should be happy to have free bamboo leaves as mulch to prevent more weed growth in their yard. If they bother to mow the weeds once a week, there wouldn't be very much dead leaves.

I would also trim the bamboo back to a more manageable size. Recently, I had to remove my ten feet tall shell bamboo next to the neighbor's yard. It was pushing into the fence and growing to their side of the yard. The neighbor didn't complain. However, I'm a good neighbor, and didn't want to have to fix the fence a few years down the road.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Kathryn and Bill,

Between the two of you, that was freaking good! :lol: That got my tummy bouncing all the way to the freezer for another bowl of ice cream!!! :lol:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

well, as an update....no words have been said between us. I fertilized that queen and 2 of the 3 twigs/shrubs have fried because of it. Palm looks happier though :D

The other same type shrubs planted along my fence line are alive but I am pretty sure they won't live through our humid summer. In the next few weeks, the easement is going to be planted out with asian jasmine.

I forgot to say that the neighbors on the other side of these people planted a camphor next to their driveway B) I've watched it double in size the last 2 yrs. I can't wait for those berries to start falling on all those cars for sale & sprouting. :evil:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida