IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Difficult Neighbors - What would you do?

junglegalfla

These neighbors were always a bit odd but we remained cordial with them and then things changed. This winter my oldhammi bamboo dropped a little too much leaf litter for their liking. They'd sweep small piles and leave it at the property line for days in order to make a point. They have never said anything to me. They stopped talking to us all together. I can't imagine me doing that to my neighbors on the other side with the large live oak. What, rake the leaves and leave 20 bags sitting there? Now that we're getting rain and the drying winds are gone, this won't be an issue.

I got home last night to realize they had crossed the line. They planted 3 shrubs on my property. This is my queen palm in the pics. My fence is set one ft inside my property line according to my land survey. These twigs are burning bush. A large northern growing shrub which I don't believe can even grow here long term. I am just pissed that they didn't have the decency to talk to me. How would you handle this? They are loud, brash people with no regard to zoning or code (they have an illegal tenant, water that weed patch out front twice daily even tho we're under restrictions)

I'm at my wits end with these people. Makes me really unmotivated to do anything more in my garden, just get the heck away from them :(

100_0704.jpg

100_0706.jpg

100_0706.jpg

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

I am in California and do not know Real Estate Law (I am a Broker here) in your area, but here is what I might do:

1) Do they own the home or rent it? If they rent, you might call the owner and vent your complaint. One of the rights of ownership is the right to a peaceful ownership.

2) You mention there is an 'illiegal' tenant. That has me wondering, whats makes the tenant illegal? Do you mean he is an illegal alien/undocumented American or that he is there outside the CC&Rs of the neighborhood?

3) Does your city have a code enforcement department? I would imagine that they do, given the water restrictions and the 'need' to enforce.

Understand that it will not be a mystery to them as to why they may be confronted by city officials, potential for retaliation is there, unfortunately. Be careful on how you approach this.

I wish you the best of luck.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

This is a single family dwelling that they own. They chopped it up & rent out a side room "under the table". Thank god this tenant doesn't have a car. Parking is at a premium around here.

3/4 of all the code compliance officers were laid off in this city. :indifferent: I did call twice. I doubt they ever got cited. The watering has not slowed down. I just don't know how to approach these people, if at all. They kind of scare me to be honest.

I had a hard time seeing the 3 plants that they planted-the twigs right near the base of the queen? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, they are going to die before the middle of the summer because I would bet that these people are not going to carry a hose over there to water as much as they would need to, to keep plants with such small roots alive through the summer. I would also bet that these people are not gardeners-so anything that they plant will be small and die soon. However, if this is your property, you can pull them up whenever you want to and not say a word about it. Dusk is a great time for this! Also very early in the am. I sympathize with you, I also have a crazy/scary neighbor who has done way more scary/crazy things that I bet your neighbor has. I think she is manic depressive, but not on meds. The point is that she planted some spreading bamboo right on the property line (is there a scarier plant?) , but more on my side, and I saw that and that night I took a bucket of fertilizer concentrate , maybe 10 lbs of fert in 4 gallons of water and dumped all of it on the plant. It was dead in a few days, and she never said a word. I doubt she knows what killed it. She never planted anything else there either. It was right next to a shed that they built that is definitely partly on my property. I should probably do something about that also....

Bren,

I was thinking along the same lines as Kahili, but with roundup. Rather than having to approach them and chance a conflict, either spray roundup, or overdose them with fert. Do maybe one or two plants at a time, that way it looks like they are just randomly dying off. Maybe do it over a month or two.

Good luck,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

To avoid any confrontation or possible blame; step on the plants to bend them over and kill them and plant a dog poop there for them to find. Or dig them out crudely and leave the plants there and still plant a dog poop so it looks like a dog dug them up. If the dog poop thing is too gross for you then you can poop there yourself, they won't know the difference, unless you had corn the night previous. :lol::lol::lol:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Bren,

This is an ongoing problem for most of us. I despise, even hate my neighbors. At first we got along with them. Now, I'm not even sure I would use a hose to eliminate fire on their roof.

He clips palm fronds that hang over the fence into his "airspace" while his front yard is full of weeds. He steps over wet newspapers but is more concerned with my palms. He knows what pulls my strings.

While away, he even reached over my fence and ripped out, roots and all, a Veitchia and Hydriastele that I was babying. I could'nt prove it was him.

He collects cars. Need I say any more?

Most people have issues with their neighbors. They are not going anywhere and neither am I. Just have to make the best of it. I really wish they'd move.....to Idaho.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Bren,

I like the idea of putting the dog poop - or even better your own - on the plants!

If that doesn't work, call a local TV station about the plants and the tenant.

Or hire Guido. He will take care of the problem.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

You guys are too funny :lol: I still intend to fertilize this palm as usual. I'm sure that will only incite them after those little twigs burn to a crisp. The thing is, these bushes aren't even zoned here and I don't even believe they can grow south of Georgia. God forbid they do grow, imagine (3) 10' diameter shrubs in that small space?? Obviously by planting there they think it is their area to plant so therefore, theirs to maintain! Oh and those twigs in front of the pickets...also the same bush. Oy

I'm not sure if you can see by the photos but ALL of their windows are tinted and they sit and stare out at us all the time. I go into the house and then they come out, I come out and they go in. Just freakin bizarre & they've said not one thing to me. Frankly, they creep me out. I'm just turning a blind eye & socking $$ away to get the helloutta here.

P.S. I moved my wind chimes...they now rest in my seagrape outside their bedroom window :innocent:

To avoid any confrontation or possible blame; step on the plants to bend them over and kill them and plant a dog poop there for them to find. Or dig them out crudely and leave the plants there and still plant a dog poop so it looks like a dog dug them up. If the dog poop thing is too gross for you then you can poop there yourself, they won't know the difference, unless you had corn the night previous. :lol::lol::lol:

Thank goodness, I'm not your neighbor.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Wow...they have a car for sale parked on their front lawn? That seems like a code violation in itself.

The queen appears to be on a public right-of-way - anything planted there would be fair game, including the new shrub. :winkie:

For the others near the fence - if it's your property, yank them out and maybe plant something there for yourself. A clumping or running palm, perhaps? Let them know it's actually your property and you had plans for that area.

You could always try to mend things by offering some small plants (palms?) that are more appropriate for the area. Maybe give them a few landscaping tips? (...like moving the car from the lawn :blink: )

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

jgal:

This kind of thing can get to be a real pisser sometimes.

The hardest thing is to prevent it from getting blown out of proportion, which, I know, can happen. (I have a problem neighbor, too.)

Be careful about playing "let's report code violations" on each other. EVERYONE violates the codes . . . to violate codes is human.

I know you don't want to talk to them, but I would start by trying to. I suspect that you're not in a Homeowner Association, so you won't have that to hang over them, assuming they're violating any CC & Rs. If they won't talk to you, mail them a letter setting forth your grievances.

Planting plants on your property is a trespass, though I'm not so sure about a parking strip, or "treelawn".

You can, if you have to, go to court, and make a civil case for an injunction to stop the trespass. Document everything they do with prompt pictures, and get them fixed in a tangible medium for safekeeping. But court action is expensive, even if you don't hire a lawyer, and court rules, particularly the rules of evidence, are a prize pain in the posterior. (As I know Bubba knows . . . . ) In the end, you can get an injunction, which, if violated, could send the violators to jail, at least here in California. But it can take a long while to fully adjudicate a case like that. IF they're really becoming vexing, you can seek what's called "temporary restraining orders" (here in California) which is an injunction issued to stop further violations, which are much like similar orders issued in family law cases.

There's a book by "Nolo press" called Neighbor Law which would be nice to get for $25. Nolo is run by lawyers, and they're good.

Also, remember that your neighbors can cut off leaves and branches that dangle over the property line, but they can't toss the litter at you. The latter's a trespass.

Keep us apprized, and if you like, shoot me a PM.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's a link to the book:

CLICK HERE FOR NEIGHBOR LAW BOOK BY NOLO

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

Thank you for the book suggestion. I will check it out, if not for this place but the next. I think I am realizing a bit more land is in my future. I don't I am responsible for that strip based on my lot lines so I am not sure why they could encroach and it be legal. That's your bag ;) Common sense says to me, that is my area to plant within city guidelines.

As far as the car on the lawn, it's a normal thing around here. 1/4 of my surrounding neighbors do it. I don't like it, nor do it but as long as people stick to themselves, I won't call them out on it. As I type this, he's out there again spraying his weed patch. The car has been moved for the night off the lawn. I think ignoring him is the best approach.

A brick wall would be best so I wouldn't see it but code says a 4' fence is all I can have because my house is older (1927) and set farther back then the others. People sometimes suck...I think it's why I like plants so much! :mellow: I'm not the crazy cat lady or anything but a lot of times, I just want to be left alone. Neighbors are too close when you can hear them belch or pass wind.

Is it possible because your fence is 1 foot inside of your property line that they don't even realize their plantings are on your property?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

hmm I have difficult neighbor on one side. I planted Black Bamboo (running type) along the fenceline. my goal is just to creat a "wall o jungle' to shield everythig out, including the clothes line they have stretched across the yard.

my neighbor is in violation of about 4 diffrent code violations, not to mention 2 of her oak trees have fallen on my property and damge my carport/workshop.

her running bamboo in the front i popping up on my property now.

I throw sabal palmetto seed and about 4 other types of palm seeds over the fence in hope of creating a palmy jungle extension from my property.

She thought I was encroching on her property with my fence, I said "NO" and went to get my land survey and knocked on her door and simple showed her it was an illusion and I actually had my fence set back in certain areas.

I have no heard a peep from her yet and she waved at me the other day when I was working in the back.

I have used the 'undercover roundup' technique on giant tree weeds on the fenceline.

plant Sweet viburnum shrub and outgrow here plants and shade them out.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Some invasive running bamboo along the fence, with a root barrier on YOUR side! ;)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

He collects cars. Need I say any more?

Careful there Mr Rick. Jay Leno and I are not bad people you know, just different... :huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Could you show us a photo of the offensive bamboo and how close it is to the property line ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bren:

Dang, you're in close quarters with your neighbors and you have acute hearing!

I lived next door to a lunatic in El Screamo separated by no more than a panel partition, and I couldn't hear a thing, though he claimed to hear me when I, er, well you know . . . . :)

In a gig like being a palm nut, more land is always better than less. Always. It's much easier to live with too much space than not enough.

Bren, I've uploaded a copy of Nolo's 'Neighbor Law: Fences, Trees, Boundaries & Noise' that you (or anyone) can download HERE.

But I would echo Wal in asking, "how close to the property line is your Oldhami planted?"

Wal,

Here is my bamboo. It's 5' inside my property. I keep it well manicured. Each year the older culms are trimmed out. Their beef is during winter. With dry conditions and hard north winds, it will shed dead leaves. it's a natural yearly occurance just like my neighbors oak trees defoliating (although boo has nothing up on an oak!) It's far enough onto my property that the boo culm sheaths fall into my yard. I pick a couple up a week.

post-576-1238506674_thumb.jpg

What i would do about the bushes they planted would be to remove them gently(they must be easy since they are freshly planted),pot them up and leave them at their door with a note saying that this is your property and you would not like them there. I would be gentle at any measures i take for the sake of this beautyfull large queen...They could cut it you know.....

I recently had the same problem with you and this is what i will be doing shortly for the sake of my trees...

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Bren,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem with the neighbor. I know it can be a stress!!! What I would do and like somone else mentioned earlier, just spray some roundup while their not home. It's the simpliest and quickest way to get rid of them without them knowing. Building walls, planting running bamboo, taking them to court is all costly and takes alot of effort. 15 seconds of spray.......and walk away!

You are allowed to water new "landscape plants" in drought conditions I think, everyday for X period of time and probably for about 30 days.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I forgot to mention, after the plants die, wait a month or so, then add some new grass there. It certainly looks like you need some there, so it wouldn't be so obvious to do it.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

We're under stricter water restrictions than your area it sounds like. I have no intention of planting grass. My intent was to xeroscape that strip eventually. I have no lawn at my place besides this little strip. Once the rains come, it greens up nicely so I may leave it. 1/2 the time it gets roughed up from vehicles parking a ft or more onto it since the street is narrow.

to discourage any parking you could add some big rocks.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

seems the right thing to do is butter them up for a week with complimnets, brownies, maybe a knitted sweater, etc and then when you are just standing around your yard talking nicely to each other you say something like, " I wonder who the hell planted those stupid looking little sticks next to my queen palm". They will be too embarassed to say they did and, in fact, will probably help you dig them out. If that doesn't work, you could always do the round up thing (or the poop thing). Either way you win.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

I haven't delved in to all the replies, just mainly read your intitial posting and viewed your photos.

The queen palm, I believe, is on county right-of-way property (part of the roadway), as I can see it's on the street side of the sidewalk. So you wouldn't have, IMO, any say about your neighbor planting a shrub there. I would contact someone from the county government on that ( I don't know what office), as I don't believe a home owner can just arbitrarily plant stuff in the right of way.

As far as the shrubs by your fence, they appear to be planted right on the property line, based on the fact you had your fence set back one foot. Hence, all that grows over to your property is yours to cut off. I would say if the shrub grows and then sprawls over your fence, you have a case.

Besides my main property, I own a 1/4 acre vacant lot that is contiguous to my main property and also a neighbor. That neighbor planted some kind of sprawling shrubs that arched way over onto my property, hindering me from mowing my grass with a lawn tractor. I got pissed and cut the hell out of the shrubs and threw them inside their property line. They policed up all the long cuttings. Eventually, they removed the shrubs.

Mad about palms

What i would do about the bushes they planted would be to remove them gently(they must be easy since they are freshly planted),pot them up and leave them at their door with a note saying that this is your property and you would not like them there. I would be gentle at any measures i take for the sake of this beautyfull large queen...They could cut it you know.....

I recently had the same problem with you and this is what i will be doing shortly for the sake of my trees...

I agree with Kostas......simple straightforward and non-aggressive. However, I would also find your survey and make them a copy. If you can't find your survey, it might be possible to find the "stobs" that the surveyors left in the ground.....you might have to call them. Clearly dileneate the property line with surveying spray paint and orange flags. Don't know how much surveyors would charge you to come out and point out the property lines.....but I don't think they are overwhelmed for business right now and a little under the table cash would be welcomed.

Avoid a neighbor war.......as appealing as it may be............palms might end up dead.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Neighbor wars suck.

Avoid them, unless the neighbors do a Tora Tora Tora on you . . . .

I tend to be very direct, calm, and respectful with these kinds of issues. Just the facts, ma'am. However, you have already stated the neighbors are non-responsive, to hostile. If you are correct that the plants will not make it, this is not worth expending any energy. But if the plants start to actually grow, invite your 7 to 10-year-old nephews and nieces and their friends over for a game of tag. Afterward, you can apologize profusely for the plant damage and insist on planting "replacements" -- of your own choosing. They already hate you anyway... :rage:

Actually, I'm kidding, I wouldn't do that. As tempting as it would be to play with their small minds, I would completely ignore them except for a polite wave when passing in daylight, and use my energy to plan and save for my next residence in a different, happier neighborhood where people park their cars on the street or in the garage, and palms grow freely without harrassment.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Bren:

Why don't you put a FOR SALE sign up on their property and offer to be their agent at a low commission. They really want to move and just don't know it yet.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Okay, that bamboo is huge for a small block, and close to the boundary, don't get me wrong, I love bamboo.

Okay, here's the plan, Stan. Cut down the bamboo, all of it. Make a bamboo screen or three, blocking out mister you know who. Why ? because that is useful, the neighbour war is diffused and best of all..... The bamboo will just grow right back and you can relive the wonder of bamboo growth all over again, this won't take long, whilst that is happening, 2 to 4 years, who knows ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Plant really spiny palms on the edge of the property, and report their illegal tenant to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

www.ice.gov

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

So my defacto response is bullets, but that might not be politically correct, or even legally correct, haha. So, that being said I'll go with Christian's suggestion of spines.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You guys crack me up! Well, things come big and small in this hood. Some maintained, some not

Here is my view currently until the twigs aka shrubs grow (BTW, neighbors are gone this week so no water..woo! I fertilized that queen too! :floor: )

3-7-09blooms006-1.jpg

3-7-09blooms004-1.jpg

opposite side of front...big tree (live oak) too... Good for 20-30 bags of leaves a yr. This year I've embraced it as free mulch! This is not on my property

3-7-09blooms003.jpg

My backyard is also filled by trees I don't own...but yet, get 20-30+ bags of leaves from each year. Again...enbracing it as mulch. So...my little stand of maintained boo..it's a gem compared to most of the trees in this hood.

3-7-09blooms002.jpg

3-7-09blooms001.jpg

I usually have a different take on most situations...maybe its their way of beautifying the neighborhood...while having no understanding of plants...water or fertilization.

I'm sure you tell folks youre into palms....and they think a queen is something special....not realizing the depth of your passion

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla