IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

just some Encephalartos pix

George Sparkman

I was getting tired of reading about all the problems revolving around

blue Encephalartos dealings (not the plants) in the sales area,so I thought

a couple of pictures would be a nice change.

E.arenarius socializing with a nearby E.horridus

e.arenmeetshor.JPG

"Broad Leaf" E.trispinosus putting out some leaves

e.tribl.JPG

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• Upvote 1

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Never seen a "Broad Leaf" Tri. Very cool.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Me neither (but I'm a rookie). I would have guessed E. longifolius joubertina form. That's a beauty George.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Me neither (but I'm a rookie). I would have guessed E. longifolius joubertina form. That's a beauty George.

I'm with you on this one Matt. It looks like Blue Longy to me. Over lapping leaflets and where are the spines :hmm: . I have what I bought as broad leaf tri in the ground and basically it has a wider than normal leaf, narrow leaflets with 2 to 3 spines each. Nice plant either way.

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

I'm with you on this one Matt. It looks like Blue Longy to me. Over lapping leaflets and where are the spines :hmm: . I have what I bought as broad leaf tri in the ground and basically it has a wider than normal leaf, narrow leaflets with 2 to 3 spines each. Nice plant either way.

Stevo

She's for sure questionable? :hmm:

Best,

clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

This is one of a group of strange Tris.

Not too long ago - several flushes ago - they were "just" really stacked Tris.

I had at one time several dozen of Broadleaf Trispinosus.

I only kept the ones that were unusual in some way.

Here are a couple of pictures I took to actually show Tri-spines from previous flushes of the same plant.

e.triblleaf1.JPG

In the second picture you can see a leaf with spines that I am holding up

and to the right you see another leaf with plenty of spines but still stacked

and right above it you see a spineless leaf from the very next flush.

These transformations all started after the caudices were 6"+ and in full inland sun.

e.triblleaf2.JPG

I see how one could lean towards Longi but it is not.

I will look for some older pictures of these broadleaf tris as youngsters - clearly looking like trispinosus.

And when it comes to questionable judgements one should just not throw stones sitting in a glasshouse ...........

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• Upvote 3

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

This is one of a group of strange Tris.

Not too long ago - several flushes ago - they were "just" really stacked Tris.

I had at one time several dozen of Broadleaf Trispinosus.

I only kept the ones that were unusual in some way.

Here are a couple of pictures I took to actually show Tri-spines from previous flushes of the same plant.

In the second picture you can see a leaf with spines that I am holding up

and to the right you see another leaf with plenty of spines but still stacked

and right above it you see a spineless leaf from the very next flush.

These transformations all started after the caudices were 6"+ and in full inland sun.

I see how one could lean towards Longi but it is not.

I will look for some older pictures of these broadleaf tris as youngsters - clearly looking like trispinosus.

And when it comes to questionable judgements one should just not throw stones sitting in a glasshouse ...........

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

George, that first photo of the broad-leaf tri looked to me like it might have had some princeps in it (I didn't see any longi in it). Any chance the broad-leaf tri is a princeps x tri hybrid?

Jody

Hi Jody,

I guess it would be possible, but I got them as bunch of seedlings from a very reliable source

as Broadleaf Tris.For several years they looked like a trispinosus with all parts just a bit bigger

and then they started changing.As 2" plants nobody would have thought anything other than Tri.

And they are from the US so there is no way they accidentally crossed.

Bottom line - I think they something special.

We will just have to wait until they cone to learn more.

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

That's right, I remember seeing some of those when I was there with my wife. They were really bitchen looking cycads. Almost has a Latifrons stacking to it. Let's see some more George.

And btw, I wasn't questioning what the plant was, just saying what this rookie would have ID'd it as :)

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Hi Matt,

that's funny.

Believe me - You are not sitting in the glasshouse.

Back to pictures - I will take some pix later this week.

I saw something really cool somewhere on the hillside the other day

but I had no camera handy.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

George, The younger leaves definately look like Tri. That is amazing how they are going through that transformation. The caudex on mine is only 5 inches so maybe mine will change soon too. I purchased mine from a reputable local source also about 7 years ago. Good stuff!

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

• 9 years later...