IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Garden, Fall 2006

MattyB

Thanks Al!  I've considered covering it for those couple of nasty nights it's first winter here.  I did not consider covering it up for a severe Santa Ana.  I will probably do that if it's real bad.  It has held up perfectly so far, including a high of 108F this July, and a couple of weeks w/ low Relative Humidities hovering around 10%-20%.  We've had some wind but not severe yet.  I'll keep an eye out.  I think some of the success so far I've had with it out there in the full all day sun is because of a deep, rich soiled planting hole constantly kept moist and heavily mulched.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty,

Thanks for inviting us into your beautiful garden. I'm always adding to mine and I benefit by being able to see what is working well at your home. I'm in 10b and I assume that your climate is similar.

I love the way that it all works together, the planters, the palms, rocks, soil, and mulch. It looks fantastic. I look forward to next year's photos.

Ashton

MattyB, I loved all of the pictures. You said you have a small yard, but it feels a lot bigger in the pictures!

Bill

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

By the way, every time I see these California gardens, it makes me want to give the west coast a try (from LA south anyway). I can do without coconuts if I have to. Where they grow, they are over planted anyway. Coconuts are most interesting when they are making it in very marginal areas. That Ravenea was as spectacular as any coconut, not to mention all of the other really great crownshafted palms that would have snowball's chance in my part of FL.

Bill

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

"the grass is always greener...",isn't it? :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 01 2006,23:12)

That Ravenea was as spectacular as any coconut

I agree. It really seems to have become the monster since the last picture I saw in the old forum. Just great! :)

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

• 3 weeks later...

Matt

Very Very nice . I'm trying to gather ideas for my garden and I like the planter areas you have set up. Is that your design or did you have someone lay them out for you ?

I'm just northeast of you in the Riverside area. Thanks for the pictures !!!

Randy

Thanks Randy, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  The planters and the stone patio was all me and my wife.  We're on a budget so that means starting with seeds, seedlings and laying your own bricks.  It's very rewarding though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 7 years later...

Due to the new Terms of Service, I will be deleting all of my old threads.

Here's one from 8 years ago at my previous house/garden. Sad to see this old thread go.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The only people you are hurting are the people that enjoy your post and other Palmtalkers. Do you think the people that make IPS decisions that don't come here really care?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

no I don't, but it is they who are responsible

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

No, you are. Taking your ball and running home is not the answer.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

They have stipulated the new terms for this website. I have to agree or disagree. I disagree and do not wish for my pictures to be placed under their terms.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Did you even know that some old Terms had the wording to the effect that uploaded images were owned by the IPS? Dean told me this yesterday. I never knew this. Sounds like no one else did either. Now that new terms are place that allow no ownership and you are deleting photos? Like I said, it only hurts us. I hope you go outside and work in the garden for a while. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Did you even know that some old Terms had the wording to the effect that uploaded images were owned by the IPS? Dean told me this yesterday. I never knew this. Sounds like no one else did either. Now that new terms are place that allow no ownership and you are deleting photos?

Back in Feb. 2010 the Terms of Service were called Forum Rules and Guidelines and can be found here

They don't mention anything about uploaded images, let alone asserting IPS ownership.
The earliest copy of Palm Talk that the Internet Archive has is April 2008 but no Forum Rules are visible at that date - as seen here.
And I'm looking at the Palm Talk Archive that goes back to 2003 and there are no Terms or Forum Rules listed there either.
post-235-0-81260100-1389233947_thumb.jpg
Dean, do you have a copy of those old Terms of Service that Len is referring to?

Mats, I used the Wayback Machine earlier and didn't see anything either or I would have referenced it in my post. I will let Dean explain what I heard or didn't hear.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Doesn't matter. Just because I didn't know something in the past doesn't mean I should ignore it now.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 2 weeks later...

We posted and pinned something to the effect that the IPS would be able to utilize any photos posted on PT for their own usage. I do not recall if a differentiation was made between uploaded photos, and linked photos. I don't think so. It was a loosely worded announcement that I believe was an afterthought to another more pressing matter at the time regarding the posting of photos of private homes/gardens without the permission of the owner - due to security/privacy concerns.

It never made it into the official Rules and Guidelines (although the "security clause" did) - but it is obvious at this point in time that it should have.

I briefly looked around for that notice in the hundreds of "deleted" topics/posts I have - and couldn't find it. But I can tell you the intent was to allow the IPS to use photos posted here for the "benefit" of the IPS. And that anyone else wishing to use them would need the permission of the "owner" before they could use it.

I'll look again, but I can confirm that for some reason (most likely simple oversight) that it did not become a part of the Rules and Guidelines. It was only posted and pinned as "IMPORTANT," as pinned topics were designated at that time - for some time.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Matt,

If you start really looking into this kind of stuff, you'll probably find that you inadvertantly signed a contract deeding your house and property to a coal mining company or something similar when you purchased it.

Your hair does not belong to you, but the first hair dresser who cut it, your teeth are the dentists...you see what I'm getting at - it's all Nanny State BS and doesn't really make any difference in day to day life.

The paranoiacs in charge just want us to wear Hi-Viz jackets and hard hats when we eat our Corn Flakes, so they cant be sued later.

In a way, if you delete your old threads then they have won, because you are now as paranoid as they are.

Choose to ignore it and it'll go away, making absolutely zero difference to your life!

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Follow Up --- I looked some more and couldn't find anything. So, unless it becomes an important distinction, I am not going to look any further.

However, I did find this topic in which I wrote a rather long explanation as I understood internet and IPS policies, laws, and courtesies regarding photo usage, copyrights, etc.

In it I wrote the following, "The policy of the IPS, as I understand it, is that any photo uploaded to PalmTalk is considered the property of the IPS, and can be used as the IPS desires. And any photo can be used by any third party as long as permission is obtained from the photographer."

The longer explanation and an interesting discussion is here http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/30176-unauthorized-photograph-usage/?hl=%2Bphotos+%2Bpermission#entry488138

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

These posts are way to long for my feeble mind. Matt! Your garden has come a long way and looks amazing!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25