IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A non Biennial year = Florida's Palmfest

SubTropicRay

The Palm and Cycad Society of Florida usually organizes a Palmfest on non IPS Biennial years. Well, we're in a non Biennial year and not a peep about the next Palmfest. The gauntlet has been thrown down.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray,

I agree. The ones in the past have been alot of fun. But probably alot of work in putting one together. The last one was up in Jax, right? The next should be in Miami or Palm Beach maybe.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dave Witt and I organized the 2001 Palmfest and did put in some considerable organizational time. If we tried for Memorial Day, there would be plenty of time to get things done.

great idea Ray, after the yr I've had so far I'm up for one. We've come full circle on these, every chapter in Fl. has now hosted one. Its PB's turn - tick tock ...

- dave

Sounds interesting. Would the order stay the same, or start over with who ever wanted to host it this year?

Ryan

South Florida

This will require a weekly bump.

I'm going to mention it to the CFPACS president Saturday. We're having a joint meeting with the SoFla chapter at Montgomery Botanical Center. If noone down south wants this one, perhaps the central chapter will be interested.

• 4 weeks later...

We discussed Palmfest at our Board Meeting tonight. IF we agreed to host it, it could not be in May. We were thinking about later in the year. I would like some feedback from those who might be attending as to the possible conflicts in Sept., Oct, Nov. I know no time will be agreeable to all however we must get an idea if this is doable. Some board members suggested July which could be brutally hot in SoFla. Let me know if there is any interest in the Fall months and why or why not and we will proceed from there. Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society.

Betty

There is always enough room for another palm!

Betty,

It is getting late this year so maybe the fall is mo'betta. The only thing is you need to avoid all the weekend sales/shows (which is almost every weekend in the fall). This puts you either in the hot months or around the holiday season, neither is a perfect choice. If there is a non event weekend that it could be squeezed in, I am there!

Jerry

Ps. Thanks again to Juan and Terry for taking care of the lady who fainted at the Arboretum Sale.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Would the first weekend of December be a possibility? I can't really think of any plant sales, especially a palm sale. Hurricane season is well over, and were still far enough away from Christmas. The weather is usually very pleasant and not real cold yet. Rainfall is very minimal. And plenty of time to plan for. Just a thought.......

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Does the PBPCS do a Christmas/Holiday Party? Maybe it could be incorporated into the Palm Fest.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Most of the societies have some sort of holiday meeting early in the month - and anything later than that conflicts too much with the holidays themselves. CFPACS has a holiday garden tour/social on either the first or second Saturday in December. I know that the SFPS has an auction/banquet at the beginning of December as well. I guess if we know in advance we can all change our plans and let PalmFest be the December event for everyone.

I like the end of May much better, but agree that it is too late now to pull something together for this May. Maybe something in the fall for 2009 and after that get back to a May event for 2011.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

We discussed Palmfest at our Board Meeting tonight. IF we agreed to host it, it could not be in May. We were thinking about later in the year. I would like some feedback from those who might be attending as to the possible conflicts in Sept., Oct, Nov. I know no time will be agreeable to all however we must get an idea if this is doable. Some board members suggested July which could be brutally hot in SoFla. Let me know if there is any interest in the Fall months and why or why not and we will proceed from there. Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society.

Betty,

Here is what CFPACS has scheduled so far for the second half of 2009:

September meeting - date not yet finalized

October 10-11 - USF sale in Tampa (this is always the same weekend as your PBPCS fall sale, but we have no control over the date)

October 24 - 2nd Annual Festival of Palms at FIT

December meeting - either the 5th or the 12th, date not yet finalized

As far as other events that I am aware of:

Oct. 2-4 - Fall open house at Jeff Searle's nursery

Nov. 7 - MBC 50th anniversary celebration

You should check with SFPS, but I believe their annual fall sale at Fairchild is Nov. 7-8

That is all that I can think of right now.

Bob

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Would the first weekend of December be a possibility? I can't really think of any plant sales, especially a palm sale. Hurricane season is well over, and were still far enough away from Christmas. The weather is usually very pleasant and not real cold yet. Rainfall is very minimal. And plenty of time to plan for. Just a thought.......

Jeff

We have attended all but one of the Palmfests and have enjoyed them all. We would attend if we didn't have a conflict.

The 1st weekend of December is the Caloosahatchee Bromeliad Sale & Show.

It is a big event for us (even though it does not involve palm), so we wouldn't be able to attend that weekend.

Several Palm Society members attend the bromeliad sale & show too.

When we first set up PACSOF, it was decided late Spring was best - less conflicts with sales & other events,

also weather is more predictible. I don't think most Chapters would want to host Palmfest if they have hurricane damage or if FL is in the "Cone".

Selecting a date is always the first obstacle involved.

I move for a fall date if we are hurricane free this summer/fall.

The South Florida Palm Sale is always the first weekend of November.

ALL PalmFests are a lot of fun...I am there.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on Palm Fest?

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

In my opinion, Palmfest should be held at any time warranted. We live in Florida during the summer, I don't see why the heat would be an issue...that is what pools are for! Any time of season could mean a weather issue, and we shouldn't shouldn't avoid the entire hurricane season because of what might happen. If anyone is interested in a Palmfest that would not be sponsored by any chapter in particular, I don't mind doing the legwork. I will talk with John DeMott and see what the status is of PACSOF currently.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Just re-read this thread. I noticed from Bob Johnson's thread that this is Montgomery Botanical Center's 50th Anniversary. Seems like a natural symbiotic timing. I just got back on the Board with the South Florida Palm Society and will address this. Perhaps we could co-host it with CFPCAS. I enjoy being around Bob Johnson and his people.

December is too late, only 4 months before the Biennel. The problem with these events is the amount of work and when all is said and done, no good deed goes unpunished!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

Another bump! Let's do this thing.

There will be several of us together on Saturday. Why don't we figure it out then? Maybe a little Pre-Croton or Post Croton meeting.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Is there still a PACSOF? Who is in charge?

Sounds like a great event, but nothing will happen if all we do is talk about it here. Has anyone directly contacted the powers that be of PACSOF via an email or phone call?

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

• 1 month later...

This is never going to happen, is it?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Just re-read this thread. I noticed from Bob Johnson's thread that this is Montgomery Botanical Center's 50th Anniversary. Seems like a natural symbiotic timing. I just got back on the Board with the South Florida Palm Society and will address this. Perhaps we could co-host it with CFPCAS. I enjoy being around Bob Johnson and his people.

December is too late, only 4 months before the Biennel. The problem with these events is the amount of work and when all is said and done, no good deed goes unpunished!

No enthusiasum found to make this happen from my vantage point :bummed:

Ron. :(

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ron,

You are right. The fall and spring months are terrible times to hold these things. We are swamped with sales almost every weekend and have no time for this. And there is no one in our society either willing to take this on or who has time in the spring and fall to take this on. I always thought May was a good month - right after all the sales are over and before the summer weather arrived. I like January as well - no sales and beautiful weather here in south Florida. But it is too late this year. And next year is the biennial. Maybe 2011...

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL