IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ho`omaluhia Botanical Garden

Walter John

I saved some excellent web sites in my favorites over the years and one in particluar I had forgotten about.

It was the site created for the IPS gathering in Hawaii in 2004.

One of the links was to the visit of the Ho`omaluhia Botanical Garden. One of the pics shows a Lodociea maldivica and here's that pic. Iwould love to see a current photo of this palm, would anybody have an up to date photo of this magnificent palm ?

post-51-1151578555_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice.  On eof the best botanical gardens.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It's definitely a bigger plam now, but I do not have a current photograph to post for you.  I am headed that way again soon, and I will make a point to photograph it again for posting.

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

I was just there in February and the palm is about the same size. Ho' Omalahei Gardens is magnificant, I walked about five miles that day. The sad thing was all the dying Dypsis Decipians in the Madagascar section. The curator told me that the rain was so havy last year the D.D. just could'nt handle it. At Fosters in Honolulu they had a huge trunking Double Coconut. Not a great garden but some nice old growth specimen plants.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

(Norm @ Jun. 29 2006,15:00)

It's definitely a bigger plam now, but I do not have a current photograph to post for you.  I am headed that way again soon, and I will make a point to photograph it again for posting.

That would be great Norm, thanks in advance. Bit sad about the decipiens. Here they are from 2004. They look like they're in a gully don't they. Swamped for sure.

post-51-1151613839_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Gary,

Very sorry to hear about the Dypsis decipiens. That was a very impressive group of palms. Even though the rain probably had something to do with their demise, I believe it's incorrect to think of the heavy rains as the main culprit. We had 170 inches here in 2004 (the most of any year since we moved here in 1995), and my D. decipiens had no problems whatsoever. In all likelihood, it's poor drainage that's the problem. As the photo that Wal posted shows, some of them were planted in a little gully. My guess is that heavy rain in combination with inadequate drainage probably created standing water in that gully. It's been a  couple of years since I visited Ho'omaluhia (Gary - note spelling!!) and if I remember correctly, some of the D. decipiens were planted on the other side of that little gully (which runs parallel to the road), i.e. higher up. Would be interesting to find out how they've done.

NORM - how about an update when you go there??

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo--I will also photograph the D. decipiens and check out your drainage suspicions when I go.

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

(bgl @ Jun. 29 2006,18:04)

Gary,

Very sorry to hear about the Dypsis decipiens. That was a very impressive group of palms. Even though the rain probably had something to do with their demise, I believe it's incorrect to think of the heavy rains as the main culprit. We had 170 inches here in 2004 (the most of any year since we moved here in 1995), and my D. decipiens had no problems whatsoever. In all likelihood, it's poor drainage that's the problem. As the photo that Wal posted shows, some of them were planted in a little gully. My guess is that heavy rain in combination with inadequate drainage probably created standing water in that gully. It's been a  couple of years since I visited Ho'omaluhia (Gary - note spelling!!) and if I remember correctly, some of the D. decipiens were planted on the other side of that little gully (which runs parallel to the road), i.e. higher up. Would be interesting to find out how they've done.

NORM - how about an update when you go there??

Bo

I believe you are correct Bo, D.D. needs very good drainage to thrive in the tropics, the location of those appears to be a low spot. Never-the-less, Dypsis Decipians is one of the very few Dypsis that is superior in So Cal than Hawii. Dypsis Dean's and Pauleen Sulivans make anything I've seen in the tropics look inferior.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

• 3 weeks later...

I visited Ho`omaluhia today, and I looked over the D. decipiens.  They are definitely in poor condition.  Only one group of several was healthy.  

The palms are planted next to the roadway as shown.  They stretch in a rough line about 75 yards in length, and that line is gently sloping downward with the road.   Other plants are interspersed with the palms in the line.  There is a drainage gully which runs next to the roadway, and the low point of the gully is about 2 feet lower than the road surface.  Both sides of the gully are tapered nicely, the higher side of the gully being opposite the road.  No palm is planted directly in the lowpoint of the gully.  All palms are planted on the opposite side of the gully from the road in varying distances from the trough of the gully.  

The high side of the line of palms shows the worst effects of the malady, whatever it may be.  The group at the lowest point of the line of palms is very healthy.  

Here is the general configuration of the D. decipiens in relation to the roadway.  Not all palms are shown, and there is one group out of sight further to the left, beyond the large tree.

post-136-1153097691_thumb.jpg

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

This group of two is located at the high side of the line.  It is in the worst condition of all groups.  It is about ten feet from the gully trough, and it sits above the grade of the road.

post-136-1153098185_thumb.jpg

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Here is an adjacent group, again on the high side of the gully, showing lots of stress.

post-136-1153098558_thumb.jpg

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

This type of failure is typical.  It appears that eventually all fronds fail this way, and the tree slowly dies.

post-136-1153098889_thumb.jpg

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Here is another view of the same frond failure.  The faliled fronds droop downward, obscuring the view of the trunk.

post-136-1153099110_thumb.jpg

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

This group is the only healthy group, and it is the last group in the line of palms (at the low end of the line).  Trunks are visible, no fronds drooping here.  The contour of the gully can be seen fainltly running left to right in the photograph.  The trunks are about ten feet from the gully trough.

post-136-1153099419_thumb.jpg

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Of all the palms, this group of two shows the only visible clue  suggesting a  destructive agent at work.  These palms are no more than two feet from the gully trough.

post-136-1153099996_thumb.jpg

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

And here is an up-to-date photograph of the Lodoicea.  It has grown two new fronds in the past few months.

post-136-1153100223_thumb.jpg

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Norm,

Thanks a lot! The Lodoicea looks great! Too bad the same can't be said for most of the D. decipiens, but hopefully the healthy ones will remain healthy!

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Justin--

I deleted your post because of the size (width) of the two photos, which affected all the other posts in the thread.  It took me 20 minutes just to read the text in this thread  because I had to scroll every message to the right for each line of text!

I've forgotten how many bytes the two photos consumed; but the REAL problem was the scrolling issue.  By the time I got to the right end of a line I'd forgotten the left part of it.

Just want you to know that I'm not "picking" on you; this is not the first time it's happened.

--rlr

(bgl @ Jul. 16 2006,23:20)

Norm,

Thanks a lot! The Lodoicea looks great! Too bad the same can't be said for most of the D. decipiens, but hopefully the healthy ones will remain healthy!

Bo

Bo, what's up these posts I've been seeing from you lately? Is there a problem with your computer? I've seen quite a few of these "no text or picture" posts.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

okay, that's weird! Bo's post didn't show up until I quoted him!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Dave,

I don't know what you mean by 'no text or picture post'. And my computer is OK (as far as I know! :)

Bo

(bgl @ Jul. 17 2006,09:50)

Dave,

I don't know what you mean by 'no text or picture post'. And my computer is OK (as far as I know! :)

Bo

It did it again! Weird.

RLR can you help???

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

I'm not sure what's going on. All I see from your posts is   -------------------

That's it. When I quote you I see the actual post that you put up. Does anyone else see the same thing? It's very strange because I see everyone else's posts but yours Bo. Very strange.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Dave,

Well, everything looks perfectly normal at my end - with my own posts and everyone else's as well.

Bo

Looks like Dave's PC is suffering from some form of hybrid disease of Carpoxyloniation x Bowaiinism.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dave--

Wal, as usual, has described the problem better than I  can, or could.  I.e., I see no photos from Bo; nor do I see any reference in his posts (this thread/topic) that he has posted any.

Are you saying that you see neither pics nor text?  If so, that is strange!    And, if you're the only one missing out, then it probably IS your machine ....

Anyone else suffering the Wal Syndrome?

I'm curious now, is there a bigger lodociea photo around than this, the treble from Darwin, photos taken about 6 weeks ago. They must be huge when they really do decide to grow up.

Lodociea  trio

lodocieatreble800.jpg

and me standing underneath one of them.

lodocieaandme800.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The ones in Singapore Botanical Garden are definitely much bigger. Someone from Oz went there recently. Any photos??