Sign in to follow this  
bubba

Commencement of Fall in Florida

bubba

Morton Weisberg in his book "Florida Weather" states that Fall commences when a location has two back to back minimum temperatures below 60 degrees F.Weisberg did a 30 year study, from 1956-1986.He found with this criteria Miami had it's earliest Fall on Oct. 27 ,1957 and it's latest Fall on Jan.5,1986.In the Palm Beach area we recorded 54 degrees and 57 degrees F. on Oct.24,2006 and Oct.25,2006 respectively.Does an early Fall portend a cold winter?

spockvr6

(bubba @ Oct. 27 2006,14:25)

Morton Weisberg in his book "Florida Weather" states that Fall commences when a location has two back to back minimum temperatures below 60 degrees F.Weisberg did a 30 year study, from 1956-1986.He found with this criteria Miami had it's earliest Fall on Oct. 27 ,1957 and it's latest Fall on Jan.5,1986.In the Palm Beach area we recorded 54 degrees and 57 degrees F. on Oct.24,2006 and Oct.25,2006 respectively.Does an early Fall portend a cold winter?

If that criteria is correct, then my yard also transitioned to fall on 10/24 and 10/25 as well.  But, it was colder here (50 and 51F respectively).

As for what this means regarding winter....I guess we shall see....I am hoping it means nothing  :D

bubba

Larry, As I read further, the author actually stated that it appeared to have no correlation to the severity of the winter. I guess we shall see but a little cool fall weather is fine with me.

spockvr6

(bubba @ Oct. 31 2006,09:55)

Larry, As I read further, the author actually stated that it appeared to have no correlation to the severity of the winter. I guess we shall see but a little cool fall weather is fine with me.

Me too Bubba....not having to mow the lawn twice a week is a well earned respite!

BobbyinNY
Me too Bubba....not having to mow the lawn twice a week is a well earned respite

After next week, it won't get mowed  again until April... saves $$$ on my landscaper.

bubba

Bobby, I think you have got to be the most amazing palmateer on this board!

spockvr6

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 31 2006,11:49)

Me too Bubba....not having to mow the lawn twice a week is a well earned respite

After next week, it won't get mowed  again until April... saves $$$ on my landscaper.

Mow it yourself....more $ for palms and greenhouses!

NBTX11

(bubba @ Oct. 27 2006,14:25)

Many areas in the Midwest, New England, Rocky Mt States, West coast states, etc have many consecutive days below 60F in June, July, and Aug.  Does that mean they don't even get a summer, that they transition from spring, right to fall.  Or get about a 2 week summer.  Not sure how accurate this assesment is, or is it supposed to be just for Florida.  If that is the measure of fall, some people in the northern tier never even got a summer.

spockvr6

(syersj @ Oct. 31 2006,13:22)

or is it supposed to be just for Florida.  

This is what I assumed.

BobbyinNY
Bobby, I think you have got to be the most amazing palmateer on this board!

Thanks for the compliment, Bubba..  :) but I think there are WAYYYYY more experienced and knowledeable Palmateers on here.. I'm a relative "newbie" having been collecting palms for only about 4 years now.  When I think of guys like Ken Johnson & Jeff Searle and others in their category who do it for a living - now those are palmateers..

bubba

Jim, The book is "Florida Weather". I believe much the same criteria applies to South Texas but it does not fly in many other places.

NBTX11

(bubba @ Oct. 31 2006,13:57)

Jim, The book is "Florida Weather". I believe much the same criteria applies to South Texas but it does not fly in many other places.

Ok, I guess I should have keyed in on the words "Florida" weather.  :;):   The same thing could apply to S. Tx.  Fall starts in Oct usually for us.  Just this month we started dipping into 50s at night, and even a couple nights in the high 40s.  Many nights still in the 60s though.  Sometime in Nov, we will see our first "serious" cold front, I am sure.  Haven't had one yet, unless you consider high 40s at night a serious cold front.  Average High for 1st of Nov is 77F (25C) for us - lots of 80s still - Todays high is around 88F (31C).  palms are still growing well.

MattyB

I'm a muskateer because I'm musky.......sorry, random interjection.

spockvr6

(MattyB @ Oct. 31 2006,17:26)

I'm a muskateer because I'm musky.......sorry, random interjection.

Post whore!

C'mon...gotta do better than that to get your post count up!

alex_7b

I'm sure there are some caveats with the method.

I live at the bottom of a short hill. I will get a couple of frosts while properties 3 or 4 houses up the hill get none. I can see it in burned tropicals.