IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aussie Autumn 09

Walter John

Just look at this ideal weather forecast. Looks great for the annual palm/cycad show this weekend.

Forecast for Friday 13th March, 2009

A few brief showers. Mostly moderate SE to E winds.

Precis: Few showers

City: Max 27

Bayside: Max 27

UV Alert: 8:20 am to 3:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 11 [Extreme]

Saturday 14th Mar Mostly fine Min 20 Max 29

Sunday Afternoon shower. Min 20 Max 30

Monday Afternoon shower or storm. Min 20 Max 30

Tuesday Afternoon shower or storm. Min 21 Max 29

Wednesday Shower or two. Min 21 Max 29

Thursday Mostly fine. Min 21 Max 29

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You got it nice there Wal. Autumn has started to fade in a bit over here. Summer is starting to fade away a bit. But it's OK as we still get great growth in autumn here. It's not until late June July that things really slow down, although some things will just plow through winter like it didn't exist.

Forecast for Friday

Fine. SE'ly winds before a fresh afternoon sea breeze.

Precis: Fine.

City: Max 27

Mandurah: Max 25

UV Alert: 10:20 am to 4:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Saturday Fine. Min 15 Max 33

Sunday Fine. Min 19 Max 37

Monday Possible shower. Min 17 Max 25

Tuesday Fine. Min 14 Max 26

Wednesday Fine. Min 12 Max 25

Thursday Fine. Min 12 Max 25

My coconut is still pushing 3cm of spear a night. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Autumn... what autumn?? LOL.

Anyway, we still get the afternoon storm. I think the monsoon is well and trully gone now that the QLDers stole everything away with the cyclone. Although, there is some talks about late cyclone... so we shall see. So, hopefully this knock-em-down storm will stay for a few more weeks yet as my garden hasn't quite ready to slow down just yet.

We fixed up all irrigation last weekend, so we are ready whatever happen... Someone will flick the switch pretty soon, hopefully it will be May not April like last year.

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yes, not too cool, and not too hot...just right!

Beautiful one day, perfect the next, to quote an overused cliche...

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Got to 40C today after a night of 22C. Looked stormy all day but no rain or humidity.

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

What a weekend!!!! Raining most afternoon on Friday... 68mm, raining most afternoon on Saturday 27m and this afternoon too, although I haven't checked the rain gauge. Beautiful cool weather, although rather wet, we still got heaps done. Cleaning up the shadehouse, repotting seedlings.... and some minor planting (not too much now we are nearing the end of the wet). I hope we still have a few more weeks of this...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

32C and humid tomorrow, but once we meet the southern autumn equinox the temps are going to slowly slip away, and the hothouse door will be opened less and less during the day. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Hot and humid here today. Just got smacked with a huge thunderstorm. It has been like night time here since 4pm.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Hot & humid here today as well.

A big thunderstorm rolled through last night & this afternoon giving up 58 mm of much needed rain.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Like Malaysia outside..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Humid change came through tonight with dewpoints around 19C. Not quite Malaysia but nice anyway. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Another 35mm of rain this evening...I'm never going to get back across the other side of my creek!

Daryl

Another 35mm of rain this evening...I'm never going to get back across the other side of my creek!

Daryl

Daryl, you're just going to have to plant on the house side , it just wasn't meant to be, as they say, whoever they are..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Check out some of the cool photos from yesterday's storm...

Storm Photos

post-42-1237288024_thumb.jpg

Scary photos Daryl. Those storm clouds look unreal and potentially violent.

Tyrone

Well, we've been though a cool spell with weather more like late April early May for the last few days. But summer is back later in the week. Yippee. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to summer yet.

Forecast for Monday

Cloudy with a shower or two. Light winds tending moderate W/SW during the day.

Precis: Shower or two.

City: Max 24

Mandurah: Max 24

UV Alert: 10:10 am to 4:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 8 [Very High]

Tuesday Fine day. Min 14 Max 25

Wednesday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 13 Max 27

Thursday Fine. Min 15 Max 33

Friday Fine. Min 18 Max 36

Saturday Fine. Min 19 Max 36

Sunday Fine. Min 17 Max 35

Best regards

Tyrone

35C today then Autumn's on. Tomorrow we cool down to high twenties. By April 1 we are at mid twenties and even single digit nights will be popping in and out depending on where the sub-tropical ridge will park itself. Those highs that fly from west to east, once they move north over the 32S zone they start to form a pulsation of warms days and nights, then warm days and cool/cold nights, then back to warmer nights. No rain in sight, so the days should be warm and clear. The long range forecast from Apr-Jun says 75% of warmer than avg days. So that's good.

Best regards

Tyrone

Ahhh little rain , bit of wind , 'another 5hirty day in paradise'

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Just came home from watching my son play soccer down the road, right near the bay, beautiful night, lovely temps,expecting a rainy weekend.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Very windy & wet here at the moment. The temperature is 22 deg C & humidity is 82 %.

146 mm of rain in the last three days & the weather bureau have issued a severe weather warning for north east New South Wales with flash flooding possible. More rain is predicted for the next two days.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

How is everyone going in NE NSW? I saw on TV that Coffs Harbour is underwater and cut off from everything. Is everyone OK. How is Mike from Port Macquarie? His property is almost in the river delta of the river that flows through Port. I hope he's OK. You out there mate?

Best regards

Tyrone

I reckon they'd all be a bit soggy down that way.

Areas around Coffs had over 500mm (20") of rain the other day.

We just had another wet day here...120mm in the last 12 hours on top of 30mm last night, so 6" in the last 24 hours. Creek is running hard!

Daryl

The east is all soggy and saturated, and the west is as dry as a crisp with no rain forecast for all of April. Complete opposite to last year when we got around 155mm in April. It's going to be a different cool season this winter, I can feel it. This next week, though the nights are coolish (it is April after all) the days are high twenties to low thirties with humidity forecast for next week. I'm looking forward to some low thirties and humidity.

Best regards

Tyrone

G'Day Tyrone

No problems here on the mighty Clarence river but Coffs Harbour is in a bad way as is Nambucca heads.

Freinds of mine live in Coffs & they were fine but two streets over from them had 600mm of water running down the street & through their house.

We've had 225 mm of rain since Tuesday morning & it is pouring down here again at the moment. I breifly got up to the shade house just before dark & some of my seedlings are showing signs of damping off especially the little Licuala's, I'll give them a treatment with some Fongarid tomorrow & try & save them.

25 deg C & 88% humidity here at the moment.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Some nice warm weather and a 34C day, but then cooler later on. Strong unrelenting easterlies for a few days. A bit like the Santa Ana's in California. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Forecast for Friday evening

Fine. Moderate E/SE winds increasing late evening.

Forecast for Saturday

Fine. Fresh and gusty easterly winds easing in the afternoon and tending S/SE.

City: Min 13 Max 29

Mandurah: Min 15 Max 27

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 3:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 9 [Very High]

Sunday Fine. Min 14 Max 28

Monday Fine. Min 14 Max 29

Tuesday Fine. Min 15 Max 30

Wednesday Fine. Min 16 Max 34

Thursday Humid, but fine and cloudy. Min 17 Max 26

Friday Fine. Partly cloudy. Min 12 Max 22

The fat lady has sung..... the morning is getting colder. We are not getting anymore rain (well, usually we get rain at easter, we shall see). I think the dry is here early again this year :angry:

Oh well, all the irrigation are fixed and ready.... The shadehouse is full to the capacity again. At least it is still hot and humid in there.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Still raining here...232mm so far. So much for weekend gardening!

Daryl

thursday april 2 ...from 12.30 noon to about 3.30pm we had 464mm. the nursery pad of 5000m2 had o.6 megaliters flowing off into the catchment dam every hour for about 3 hours :blink:

thursday april 2 ...from 12.30 noon to about 3.30pm we had 464mm. the nursery pad of 5000m2 had o.6 megaliters flowing off into the catchment dam every hour for about 3 hours :blink:

At least that water wasn't wasted!

Daryl

Clayton would have copped it too, saw that Pomona had nearly 500mm with unofficial reports of up to 800mm around.

Evidently up at the farm in Childers we have't had a drop and only got 30mm out of the cyclone. dry as a bone up there.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Still more rain 94mm in the last 24 hrs, definatley no gardening here this weekend you get bogged to the ankles just walking around.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Still raining here...232mm so far. So much for weekend gardening!

Daryl

Hey, you can still garden in the rain. We do it all the time. It is not like down south, where it is COLD when it is raining.... As long as there is no storm, we usually keep on going. BTW, when all of you QLDers are sick of the rain, can you send them back up??? You have been hogging it all year!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We're entering a warm April spell. Low thirties peaking at 34C on Wed then high twenties with some humidity hanging around. Still no rain though. This is quality weather for extending the growing season. Nothing has slowed down yet.

Best regards

Tyrone

Going for 32C today. Summer can come and stay any time. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Looks like the rain will never stop here.

Saturday Showers. Min 19 Max 26

Sunday Showers. Min 19 Max 26

Monday Showers. Min 20 Max 27

Tuesday A few showers. Min 20 Max 28

Wednesday Shower or two. Min 20 Max 29

Thursday Shower or two. Min 20 Max 28

Daryl, you could get a wet winter.

And we could get a dry winter. :huh:

Best regards

Tyrone

I guess winter/dry season is very predictable here.... DRY!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Nearly hit 36C today. It's been a warm April lately.

Tyrone