IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

10 Coccothrinax pics taken in garden

Al in Kona

The 10 pics below show some of the Coccothrinax secies that I'm growing in the garden here in South Kona.

Not fast growing but these are some of the less common forms out there.

Left to Right:

1. Coccothrinax salvatoris

2. " " - leaf (top view)

3. " " - leaf (underside view)

4. Coccothrinax borhidiana

5. " " - top view (see next post for this one)

6. Coccothrinax pseudorigida

7. Coccothrinax yunaguensis

8. Coccothrinax sp. (tag read 'Plateada'), possible hybrid?

9. " " (top view) " " "

post-90-1236763949_thumb.jpg

post-90-1236764029_thumb.jpg

post-90-1236764054_thumb.jpg

post-90-1236764114_thumb.jpg

post-90-1236764138_thumb.jpg

post-90-1236764153_thumb.jpg

post-90-1236764165_thumb.jpg

post-90-1236764188_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

These two were omitted from above post in error:

#5 - Coccothrinax borhidiana top view and

# 10 - Coccothrinax 'azul' now planted in the ground

post-90-1236764876_thumb.jpg

post-90-1236764903_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

That looks great Al. Is that C. pseudorigida clumping yet?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Al,

The Coccothrinax look great and should grow great for you out in that climate of yours. Were starting to see a few C. borhidiana's flower and set seed now. For the future, this will help bring down the cost maybe where the palms will be more affordable. Glad to see their growing so well for you.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Those are some great looking Coccothrinax Al. I especially love your C. pseudorigida. That is one I still have not been able to find.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Very nice Al. I am always pleasantly surprised and impressed at the diversity of your garden.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

The 10 pics below show some of the Coccothrinax secies that I'm growing in the garden here in South Kona.

Not fast growing but these are some of the less common forms out there.

Left to Right:

1. Coccothrinax salvatoris

2. " " - leaf (top view)

3. " " - leaf (underside view)

4. Coccothrinax borhidiana

5. " " - top view (see next post for this one)

6. Coccothrinax pseudorigida

7. Coccothrinax yunaguensis

8. Coccothrinax sp. (tag read 'Plateada'), possible hybrid?

9. " " (top view) " " "

Great growing Al,

Are these species adapted to high rainfall? In my area on September2007 to April2009 have high rainfall (climate changes) 12 hours a day. Please describe yours. Thank you

Hendriks

Edited by ixigena

Fantastic Al! Thanks for posting.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Love that Coccothrinax borhidiana it is next on my list.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Very nice collection, Al! How long have these been growing in your garden? They are known for being slow; are you seeing different growth rates among your various Coccothrinax? Very appealing palms.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Al,

Do you have C. montana or C. alexandrii? Both are "fast" when discussing Coccothrinax growth rates.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thanks for comments on these Coccothrinax. Now to answering some of your questions:

Ray - no, the C. pseudorigida has not shown signs of clumping yet. My plant is still quite small. I only hope this one is a true species. Yes, I do have small potted plants of C. montana, C. alexandrii and also C. munzii.

plantapalm Michael - My C. borhidiana was ground planted from a very small 1-gallon seedling size plant about 8.5 years ago. It is growing in an out-of-the-way area and rarely ever gets fertilized or supplemental water. Therefore I'm a bit surprised it has grown as well as it has.

ixigena - just how these Coccothrinax might grow in your 7-month long high rainfall climate is difficult to say. If you have excellent drainage and about 5 drier months I'd try some of them. Most of these Coccothrinax species are native to the Carribean islands, especially to Cuba and the Dominican Republic. Perhaps others can give you their opinion on this.

Kim - practically all of my Coccothrinax species in the garden were planted as very small seedlings at different times.

Most of these have been growing now for anywhere from about 4 to 9 years.

Federico - Your C. borhidiana is looking spectacular! How old is it?

I know we'd all love seeing more pics of Coccothrinax from other gardens either posted here or on a new thread, OK?

Nice sunsets!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you Coccothrinax people show us some of what you have growing in your gardens or in containers. Yeah many of them are slow growers but very beautiful palms. Tell us about them and show us some pics.

Nice sunsets!

Here are a couple of coccothrinax that are growing well for me in Mesa,Arizona.From left to right C. gundlachii, C. miraguama, and C. borhidiana.

Others growing around the yard include montana,argentata,salvatoris,barbadensis,crinita,munizii, and alta.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

yard015.jpg

Edited by aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

• 3 years later...

Bump

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Bump

Thanks, Matt....very cool post to bring back....

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Coccothrinax and Thrinax are becoming my favorite palms. Thanks for the bump Matt. Great pics too

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Yeah nice pics and nice plants!!!

I currently don't have many in the garden but definately will start to accumulate some more, I like them and they generally seem to easy to grow!

This is the favourite in my garden..... was bought as Coccothrinax argentata?? Has has grwon a lot since being planted about 3 years ago, it really was very small and the growth has pleasantly surprised me!

post-6412-0-38946100-1343541984_thumb.jp