IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 11th Annual Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza!

Palmarum

Cute family photo Bill!

If Bill's dad was on the palmtalk board his user name would be "BS Dad, man about short shorts"

post-126-1237222962_thumb.jpg

option 2: Tom Sellek called, he said he wants his shorts back.

post-126-1237225821_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Gbarce post Yesterday, 08:51 AM

...Ryan This is sort of off topic but do you have pictures of Coccoloba Rugosa in Jeff's garden?

I have some photos, but they are a little older. I will take some newer ones the next time I am at his place.

BS Man about Palms Posted Yesterday, 10:25 PM

I took very few pictures as usual, Thank God Ryan is around to document everything!! (It really is handy) BUT, I have a few to add, not enough to warrant a thread, really. So here are some...

Feel free to add anything Bill, I know I can't be in two places at once. It is great to see that other people captured photos at the Extravaganza, as it is hard to show everything from one point of view.

epicure3 Posted Yesterday, 10:45 PM

What a fantastic day. I felt like I was there for the whole thing. I'm going to show up next year, assuming that Californians are still allowed after BS' visit....

More the merrier! We have yet reached any limit of Forum members, especially from California.

ContractorChat Posted Today, 11:52 AM

Wow that stinks that i missed this sale, I was wanting to come down there this year to check out your palms too, is there an email list to get on for sale updates?...

We have a mailing list that we use to send out flyers about the upcoming Extravaganzas. I am also collecting emails, but for now mailing addresses are the key form of communication. That and the Forum of course. Anyone wishing to be on the list, send me a PM with your mailing address and email and I will make it happen.

MattyB Posted Today, 01:08 PM

That picture of Bill on his hands and knees closely inspecting the rare Dypsis is usually followed by a loud "crunching" sound as he breaks off the flower of the plant next to it. ... Just joking!

:lol:

Ryan

South Florida

Saturday...

- 7:44AM: For Saturday morning, I decided to use my zoom lens for a short while to capture a different angle on the goings-on before the gate and after the gate opens. About fifteen minutes before we opened, Jeff Searle, Bill Sanford [passenger seat of course] and Jim Glock head out to the full sun areas of the nursery to pull more palms. They need to get a trailer first.

RDG2009-03-07_08-44-47.jpg

- 7:48AM: The workers are close behind, on their way to get more landscape plants.

RDG2009-03-07_08-48-46.jpg

- Andrea Searle and volunteer Jim trim up Pigmy Date Palms, Phoenix roebelenii, before adding them to the block of full sun palms across from the holding area.

RDG2009-03-07_08-48-56.jpg

- 7:52AM: Jeff, Bill and Jim return shortly before Eight o'clock with palms in tow. A pair of Yellow Latan Palms, Latania verschaffeltii, Red Princess Palms, Dictyosperma album var. rubrum, and a Copernicia × sueroana. There is a twist in the story of that Copernicia coming up in a little bit. Jeff looks over his shoulder to see the customers that have gathered at the gate while Larry Searle on the right finishes getting the cash registers ready.

RDG2009-03-07_08-52-44.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:02AM: Talk about being a ham in front of the camera. Carlos pretends to hide from the camera for a brief second, as Jeff and Andrea zip by on the golf cart to go open the gate.

RDG2009-03-07_09-02-02.jpg

- Jeff & Andrea arrive at the gate to open up for the customers with nursery dog Dumbo hot on their tracks.

RDG2009-03-07_09-02-13.jpg

- With the word given, customers enter the nursery and begin a more leisurely stroll down the road compared to Friday morning. Dumbo makes sure to check them all out first.

RDG2009-03-07_09-02-27.jpg

- The restocking continues past 8:00 AM. Freshly dug Pigmy Date Palms, Phoenix roebelenii, get placed on the concrete pad across from the registers. Saturday morning is often slower than Friday morning, so there is more time to restock.

RDG2009-03-07_09-02-41.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:02AM: The crowd approaches. As they get closer I start to recognize a few repeat customers and I try to remember what their favorite plant groups are.

RDG2009-03-07_09-02-52.jpg

RDG2009-03-07_09-03-30.jpg

- 8:04AM: Andrea & Jeff return from the gate...

RDG2009-03-07_09-04-03.jpg

- ... just in time to watch the carts getting taken up and hauled off.

RDG2009-03-07_09-04-06.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Thank you so much for posting these photos, Looks like it was a great event. I haven't checked their website yet, but they must have been some pretty good deals to attract such a mob. ( course the palms themselves looked great on sale or not..)

What was behind the yellow tape?

Jody

Chilliwack British Columbia

Zone 8/9 until 3 years ago. Now Zone 6b.

Don't even get me started.

Zayin Posted Today, 02:53 PM

...What was behind the yellow tape?

I think you are referring to the yellow caution tape strung along in the shadehouse. It is used to separate the plants that are for sale along the sidewalk, from the ones that are not.

- 8:04AM: The morning restock continues. Volunteer and FM. Rob van der Borg (Borgy230) rides along with Frank "Pops" Searle as they enter the sales area with a load of Carpoxylon macrospermum.

RDG2009-03-07_09-04-31.jpg

- They work their way through the morning crowd and start cleaning and tagging the plants in a few minutes.

RDG2009-03-07_09-04-37.jpg

- 8:14AM: Bill.... what are you up to? Bill decides to do some gathering of his own this morning.

RDG2009-03-07_09-14-42.jpg

- 8:18AM: The tables still have a fair amount of the rare and exotic palms that customers expect to find; after the previous morning's rush of collectors.

RDG2009-03-07_09-18-30.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:56AM: The shadehouse sidewalk began to fill up close to nine in the morning. The flow of customers continued to increase as we got closer to lunch time.

RDG2009-03-07_09-56-50.jpg

- 9:17AM: The Copernicia x sueroana that Bill grabbed for his stash had a surprise. It is variegated.

RDG2009-03-07_10-17-03.jpg

- 10:57AM: I use ladders placed throughout the sales areas to get a better angle on shooting different scenes during the day.

RDG2009-03-07_11-57-33.jpg

- 11:01AM: When I got tired of shooting behind the tape, I briefly moved the ladder out to the sidewalk. It gives a better sense of depth.

RDG2009-03-07_12-01-01.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:14AM: Bill.... what are you up to? Bill decides to do some gathering of his own this morning.

RDG2009-03-07_09-14-42.jpg

Ryan

I can tell by the look in Bills eyes that it only feels like 5:14AM to him. I know this feeling alllll to well.

It's a lot of fun watching the action Ryan, great pics as always.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

wow super photos, still cannot believe i missed this sale, i will for sure make it next year!!! And definatly stop by this summer for some goodies.

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

Cute family photo Bill!

If Bill's dad was on the palmtalk board his user name would be "BS Dad, man about short shorts"

post-126-1237222962_thumb.jpg

Apparently there was several heated discussions between my brother and Dad about the "correct" location to wear your pants before I arrived. Dad says it should go "over" your belly button. My brother and I were firmly in the "under" your belly button camp.

Since I also spied this building near my parents place, my brother and I decided when you are officially a senior citizen, your pants are worn "over" your belly button. Ice cream on a regular basis helps I guess.

post-27-1237249980_thumb.jpg

post-27-1237250270_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

- 11:01AM: It is nice to see customers who bring their own carts, cause I know they do not have to share the nursery ones. They do need to keep a close eye on them when they are empty however.

RDG2009-03-07_12-01-08.jpg

- It's great when the plants sell themselves. It is even better when customers sell them for us.

RDG2009-03-07_12-01-13.jpg

- 11:05AM: This Licuala peltata var. sumawongii felt all alone on this cart...

RDG2009-03-07_12-05-20.jpg

- 11:08AM: ...so the customers added this Caryota no to go along with it.

RDG2009-03-07_12-08-07.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:10AM: After they added the Caryota no, these customers found they still had some more room left on their cart. They squeezed in another Licuala peltata var. sumawongii, and a small Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda.

RDG2009-03-07_12-10-27.jpg

- 11:31AM: "See, I can help sell a Cyrtostachys too." Bill Sanford helps a customer carry their new Red Sealing Wax Palm to their cart.

RDG2009-03-07_12-31-29.jpg

- 11:39AM: Inside, outside, back inside, then outside again. Bill was all over the place, helping customers with all their palm related needs.

RDG2009-03-07_12-39-03.jpg

- 11:52AM: I was catching a good breeze while up on this ladder and could easily smell the BBQ in high gear. This photo was taken at the end of the landscape section, looking back up towards the holding area in the distance. The shadehouse is on the right.

RDG2009-03-07_12-52-43.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:02AM: Talk about being a ham in front of the camera. Carlos pretends to hide from the camera for a brief second, as Jeff and Andrea zip by on the golf cart to go open the gate.

RDG2009-03-07_09-02-02.jpg

- Jeff & Andrea arrive at the gate to open up for the customers with nursery dog Dumbo hot on their tracks.

RDG2009-03-07_09-02-13.jpg

- With the word given, customers enter the nursery and begin a more leisurely stroll down the road compared to Friday morning. Dumbo makes sure to check them all out first.

RDG2009-03-07_09-02-27.jpg

- The restocking continues past 8:00 AM. Freshly dug Pigmy Date Palms, Phoenix roebelenii, get placed on the concrete pad across from the registers. Saturday morning is often slower than Friday morning, so there is more time to restock.

RDG2009-03-07_09-02-41.jpg

Ryan

Wow I realize in these tough times downsizing is sometimes necessary, but can Dumbo really guard that whole nursery?

JC

street124 Posted Yesterday, 10:22 PM

...Wow I realize in these tough times downsizing is sometimes necessary, but can Dumbo really guard that whole nursery?

She can and then some. She is a tough little dog that gets help from her much larger friend Kayla.

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:52AM: The areas bordering the main road showcase a large array of landscape plants that can be daunting to those who are first time landscapers. We have volunteers that support this area and this year I've noticed quite a few customers who had done their homework. They had wish lists and printed out descriptions of plants they were looking for.

RDG2009-03-07_12-52-51.jpg

- 12:00PM: I headed back inside the shadehouse to find the tent full of volunteers. FM. Rob van der Borg (Borgy230) and Judy Glock watch the show before them of Bill and Jim.

RDG2009-03-07_13-00-13.jpg

- Imagine trying to talk on the phone with...

RDG2009-03-07_13-00-55.jpg

- 12:01PM: ... this guy pointing and staring at you.

RDG2009-03-07_13-01-00.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:14PM: Bill can be solemn and serious at times as well. I know just beneath the surface he has the urge to wave his arms and tell this customer emphatically how she must buy this Dwarf Lady Palm, Rhapis subtilis.

RDG2009-03-07_13-14-22.jpg

- 12:20PM: Volunteers Rob and Derek help get this monster Arenga undulatifolia onto these customers' cart. They were in the mood for large material today.

RDG2009-03-07_13-20-37.jpg

- 12:21PM: The older cart was no match for the large palm and sprung a leak in one of its tires. Derek ran off to get a replacement cart while Rob and volunteer Neftali examine the blown tire.

RDG2009-03-07_13-21-07.jpg

- 12:30PM: The entrance to the shadehouse never saw a lull in foot and cart traffic for the rest of the day. The Aroids on the left were picked through almost completely by this time on Saturday while the story was the same for Cordylines on the opposite side. The empty booklet holder on the left table reminded me to keep refilling it more often than I had been.

RDG2009-03-07_13-30-43.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:30PM: The peak of lunchtime. The line for burgers and hotdogs may often cross over the side road and mingle with the plants on the other side. I know I went through the volunteers' line more than once on this day.

RDG2009-03-07_13-30-59.jpg

RDG2009-03-07_13-31-25.jpg

- Sometimes, I have found myself at the edge of the barn describing a plant to a customer. They are eating lunch while eying the plants across the side road and spotting a new favorite while finishing off their chips and/or beans.

RDG2009-03-07_13-31-41.jpg

- 12:32PM: The BBQ assembly line. The cooked hotdogs and hamburgers enter the window towards the right, where the line passes by. The sodas are in the red cooler to the left, while the coolers with water are behind where I was standing.

RDG2009-03-07_13-32-31.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:32PM: The seating area under the barn can get full quickly, but not everyone chooses to eat their lunch here. Customers will often walk, shop and eat at the same time. There is also another area with benches behind the barn. In the back of the barn along the wall, you can see that all the Orchids are gone and the tables they once occupied; are now used as lunch tables.

RDG2009-03-07_13-32-48.jpg

- The BBQ volunteers are the best when it comes to supplying the food fast and getting everything right on the counter. Volunteer Chris pulls another bag of hamburger buns from behind the counter.

RDG2009-03-07_13-32-54.jpg

- 12:33PM: Volunteer, Forum member and Flowering Tree enthusiast Scott Cohen (Scott Cohen) makes sure he poses correctly while the customer describes her yard.

RDG2009-03-07_13-33-17.jpg

- 12:34PM: "Me!" To say Chris is a character is like putting a plain "Palm" tag on a rare Tahina spectabilis. He is one of a kind and if you are fortunate to be near him, listen to the way he describes the world. His humor can be briefly summed up by the t-shirt he's wearing. This is a traditional pose he does every Extravaganza, and this time he almost smacked Scott in the face.

RDG2009-03-07_13-34-08.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:34PM: Cooking the burgers and warming up the beans.

RDG2009-03-07_13-34-42.jpg

- No meat and all palms make Bill a dull boy. I was getting my lunch at the same time so I had to capture Bill getting his. He was making a fancy request for his burger I think.

RDG2009-03-07_13-34-49.jpg

- 12:35PM: "Surprise!" They smiled after I took the photo. This is the opposite side of the "food orifice" as someone behind me described it. Many a food product has been passed through this window over the years.

RDG2009-03-07_13-35-46.jpg

- 12:36PM: BBQ production at its finest. We actually had to suspend burger production near the end of lunch time so we could have some for Sunday.

RDG2009-03-07_13-36-12.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:37PM: The Bromeliad Section. Bromeliads were the preferred form of obtainable eye candy this Extravaganza. I had never before seen so many customers in the section over time, nor have I seen more plants going out the gate.

RDG2009-03-07_13-37-02.jpg

- Restocking them was a constant affair all weekend long. This trailer was dropping off more Androlepis skinneri.

RDG2009-03-07_13-37-05.jpg

- It was getting close to one o'clock in the afternoon, so I decided to make a run outside to the parking lot to see what was going on. The main road was getting well used today, getting pounded by foot and tire.

RDG2009-03-07_13-37-11.jpg

- 12:38PM: We had to soak the gravel that made up the roads at least twice a day to keep the dust down. The customers that waited in line appreciated it.

RDG2009-03-07_13-38-04.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:38PM: Leaving one busy area for another. I left the front end area behind and headed out to the parking lot, a.k.a. the shoulder of 172nd Avenue.

RDG2009-03-07_13-38-56.jpg

- 12:39PM: I followed behind this one couple who had a Princess Palm, Dictyosperma album and a Cryosophila warscewiczii on their cart. If they do not have a large load to bring out, most customers are happy making the walk themselves with their carts. We have plenty of trailers and golf carts to help those who would need assistance.

RDG2009-03-07_13-39-05.jpg

- 12:40PM: The arrangement of cars in the various spots is pretty much straight forward. The customers know how and where to park. This doesn't keep them from fighting for a closer spot though.

RDG2009-03-07_13-40-45.jpg

- 12:41PM: The weather was phenomenal. The air temperature was cool, with a slight breeze, low humidity and just enough cloud cover to keep the temperature down. It was basically just like this all three days. We do need rain however, if you have any to spare.

RDG2009-03-07_13-41-51.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:42PM: The flip side, looking north on 172nd Avenue. The mass of automobiles does have an attractive ability all its own. While I was outside taking photos, I had one person stop to ask what was going on. After a few minutes of conversation, he pulled his truck into a spot and came inside. It might have been the free lunch that got his attention, but he did have loose potting soil in the bed of his truck; a possible plant fan.

RDG2009-03-07_13-42-08.jpg

- 12:49PM: Time to run the gauntlet again. With all this walking, I was hungry for some more food, so I made a return journey to the BBQ area still going strong.

RDG2009-03-07_13-49-49.jpg

- 12:50PM: Plants going out, people coming in. Repeat.

RDG2009-03-07_13-50-16.jpg

RDG2009-03-07_13-50-22.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:50PM: A last minute purchase of a few bromeliads to create a bit of reorganization on the cart.

RDG2009-03-07_13-50-26.jpg

- 12:51PM: Edy Searle and Jeff's sister Kathy get it done under the shed. I am not sure who is in charge of shifts, but I know Edy has been at it since we opened.

RDG2009-03-07_13-51-26.jpg

- 12:52PM: Height has its advantages when it comes to photographing a crowd. I took a spare second to stand on a stopped trailer in front of the holding area to get up high to take this shot; as they were loading plants around my feet. I noticed a few customers coming from the BBQ area wearing a bit of mustard and ketchup so I know their lunch was good.

RDG2009-03-07_13-52-12.jpg

- 12:54PM: Height is real good. Using my favorite ladder, I got this shot of the crowd along the side road with people in line for lunch and others coming to and from the shadehouse.

RDG2009-03-07_13-54-28.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:54PM: I was standing 15 feet up in the air waiting for one of the clouds to pass to give me some more light, but it was taking too long. It was a small trade-off to have the very good weather. The palms along the side road were looking very good considering the cold we had just had about a month earlier.

RDG2009-03-07_13-54-37.jpg

- 12:55PM: Food, glorious food. It looks as if the line had not moved much but it has. There is only a minute or two between photos.

RDG2009-03-07_13-55-20.jpg

- Let there be light. I got my wish and the sun came out to illuminate everyone waiting in line for lunch. The customer seated on the cart wanted to make sure no one took it while someone went in line to get food for her.

RDG2009-03-07_13-55-45.jpg

- 12:58PM: I like it when customers ask where they go to pay for food or a drink and I say its free. It makes them smile in a good way considering the state of the economy.

RDG2009-03-07_13-58-39.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Lunch on Fridays would be nice :D

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Taking photos around the barn "inspired" me to get some more food to eat. I got lunch #2 and headed inside the shadehouse to eat while talking palms. During this time, and earlier times when I was trimming what seemed to be endless restocked palms, I wasn't able to capture certain Forum members in action. I got to see again and talk with Tom Christian (tikitiki), Meg Price (PalmatierMeg) and Mike Feely (Mike4284m). Next time I will capture you members in action, if not sooner somewhere else. If there were other members I didn't get to meet, I will get you next time. :winkie:

- 2:18PM: A wonderful play is fed and led by its diverse cast of characters. The Extravaganza is no different, as it is often referred to as a well-rehearsed production. Volunteers and Forum members Rob van der Borg (Borg230), Scott Cohen (Scott Cohen) and Jim Glock (jglock1) match wits with each other while amusing Jeff Searle.

RDG2009-03-07_15-18-36.jpg

- 2:19PM: A battle of wits often has casualties.

RDG2009-03-07_15-19-58.jpg

- 2:20PM: No explanation. Just "Bill, a moment in the life of..." I am sure Paul Denton and MattyB are thinking of something to say to Bill the next time they see him. I should leave a space for Paul's comment on this photo. Paul:___________________ ...

RDG2009-03-07_15-20-01.jpg

- 2:48PM: The latter half of the day saw no slowing down in activity. As soon as some plants were restocked, they were picked up and on their way to the holding area.

RDG2009-03-07_15-48-17.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan,

Great coverage as always.

One of these days I am going to make it down there! :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

- 2:53PM: Jeff gets pulled in close for a photo along with the BBQ volunteers. They kept poking and prodding him with utensils until he could take no more.

RDG2009-03-07_15-53-27.jpg

- Never a beer too far, or a burger left uncooked. The first group of volunteers for the BBQ in their glory stance. I refer to them as the "A-team", for various reasons. This is also a traditional shot I take at some point during the Extravaganza. Cheers!

RDG2009-03-07_15-53-47.jpg

- 2:56PM: With two hours left in the Extravaganza for today, customers keep on coming through the shadehouse with no signs of stopping.

RDG2009-03-07_15-56-36.jpg

- 3:10PM: One customer makes a impromptu holding area in the middle of the intersection.

RDG2009-03-07_16-10-36.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

palmisland Posted Today, 02:58 PM

Lunch on Fridays would be nice...

Hey Randy, you should ask Jeff if you can be a volunteer, we get lunch on Fridays. :lol:

gsn Posted Today, 03:37 PM

...One of these days I am going to make it down there! ...

Scott, we always think you could be a surprise visitor during the weekend. Your on the list as a 'definite maybe'.

Ryan

South Florida

- 3:10PM: Judy is thinking, "whats up with Bill?"

RDG2009-03-07_16-10-46.jpg

- 3:12PM: Scott can be very hands on sometimes. He thinks rubbing Rob's head is good luck.

RDG2009-03-07_16-12-24.jpg

- 3:16PM: Jeff assists long time friend and fellow nurseryman Stan Wood with his growing pile of oddities.

RDG2009-03-07_16-16-33.jpg

- 4:03PM: When Bill smiled he ruined part of this shot. He was hanging on the bar with a tired, worn expression and it looked like he was going to fall asleep. I need to be more stealthy in the future. With the remaining hour, we went into high gear for restocking for Sunday. The camera went into the bag until the after-sale time at Jeff's house.

RDG2009-03-07_17-03-54.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

We spent the remaining hour, and time after closing, doing our best to restock more plants. After about 5:30, we all headed on over to Jeff's house to relax and discuss everything we didn't see the night before.

- 5:55PM: Does Kona look big or does Missy look small? For anyone who has not met Jeff's dog Kona before, he has a peculiar way of saying hello to people. If you are near the ground he will sit on you. He does not think he is a big dog and considers himself a lap dog in all respects.

RDG2009-03-07_18-55-44.jpg

- 5:58PM: Kane: "Help me, puppy in distress". Kane wanted to greet Missy too, but soon fell victim to Kona as he decided to 'press' the issue. He sat right on Kane as the puppy had just gotten into Missy's lap.

RDG2009-03-07_18-58-39.jpg

- 6:00PM: A grown-up puppy.

RDG2009-03-07_19-00-18.jpg

- 6:04PM: "Oh crap." I made the mistake of sitting down.

RDG2009-03-07_19-04-24.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:05PM: When you have a 130 lb (59kg) dog sitting on you, you have time to reflect on the day. This Saturday was fun and I got to meet all kinds of people, from Forum members both new and veteran, to customers just starting their interest into palms and plants. It was a great day weather wise, as was Friday. I usually set up a fan in the shadehouse tent, but we didn't even need it. I went through a mental checklist as Kona repositioned himself, "oof!" about the items that could be changed or added for the next Extravaganza later in the year.

RDG2009-03-07_19-05-25.jpg

- 6:13PM: It's Miller time. Or Coors time, or vodka time depending on what you drink.

RDG2009-03-07_19-13-24.jpg

- 6:38PM: When Jeff arrived from the nursery, we used the remaining daylight to tour the front yard with Bill. This is a Nypa fruticans Jeff planted along the edge of his pond. It looks like the edge of a sheer cliff, but I assure you water is there, it just was not reflective at this angle.

RDG2009-03-07_19-38-32.jpg

- 6:43PM: Bill finds a new use for old things.

RDG2009-03-07_19-43-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:43PM: In the waning moments of sunlight, a strange competition unfolded in Jeff's yard. I cannot go into details as it would violate some of the Forum rules.

RDG2009-03-07_19-43-35.jpg

- 7:09PM: The unicycle. A tool for specialized riding for the amusement of spectators or for the humiliation of those unprepared souls who dare to try. Bill had heard of Jeff's unicycle riding ability and looked forward to trying himself after he arrived from California. Bill had rode one before, many, many years ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

RDG2009-03-07_20-09-44.jpg

- 7:10PM: A few adjustments later, Jeff hops on and rides in a short circle with no problem. He can ride a much taller unicycle as well, I have photos to prove it.

RDG2009-03-07_20-10-58.jpg

- 7:15PM: On his second attempt, Bill makes it halfway down the driveway.

RDG2009-03-07_20-15-25.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

I have a theory: Bill's legs are so white that they actually reflect enough energy off of the surface of the driveway that it keeps him from falling down.

OK, I'm just trying not to say anything about the tummy. I think I'm traumatized.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

To all......

In post #98, second picture, you will see an older gentleman with white/gray hair looking towards Ryan, along side a woman with a purple blouse on. Can you guess what forum member's parents these are?

Ryan,

Great pictures as usual. Especially when you were up on the latter looking from different angles. Thanks!!!!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

To all......

In post #98, second picture, you will see an older gentleman with white/gray hair looking towards Ryan, along side a woman with a purple blouse on. Can you guess what forum member's parents these are?

Ryan,

Great pictures as usual. Especially when you were up on the latter looking from different angles. Thanks!!!!

Jeff

Palmarum

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

QUOTE (Jeff Searle @ Mar 17 2009, 03:44 PM)
...Can you guess what forum member's parents these are?...

freakypalmguy Posted Today, 07:54 PM

Palmarum

Ding! I used them to add to the length of the lunch line for effect.

- 7:16PM: The last two series of photos from Saturday are of Bill going for the gold. Here he is on his third attempt to circle the driveway, starting from the garage.

RDG2009-03-07_20-16-17.jpg

- 7:18PM: He is off to the races...

RDG2009-03-07_20-18-23.jpg

- ...after a good start he made to the end of the driveway, but couldn't make the sharp turn.

RDG2009-03-07_20-18-29.jpg

- 7:23PM: Go Bill! Go Bill! On his fourth try at mastering the unicycle, he started off faster...

RDG2009-03-07_20-23-24.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:24PM: ...with the added speed he was able to make the turn, but fell off...

RDG2009-03-07_20-24-44.jpg

- ... he quickly got back on the seat and kept going...

RDG2009-03-07_20-25-33.jpg

- ...rounded the turn and made it back to the garage. Tah dah! Everyone give Bill a hand.

RDG2009-03-07_20-25-43.jpg

If things were not strange enough, we still have one more day of Bill's company at the Extravaganza to go.

Sunday coming next...

Ryan

South Florida

I have a theory: Bill's legs are so white that they actually reflect enough energy off of the surface of the driveway that it keeps him from falling down.

OK, I'm just trying not to say anything about the tummy. I think I'm traumatized.

I think I laughed as hard seeing my tummy in the photos as I did when I was there..... :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!