IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring planting

Urban Rainforest

I usually wait until March to plant here in So Cal and this year was no exception. Today was the day and what a beautiful one it was with sunshine but cool breezes. I made it an all day planting session and got 13 plants in the ground. I usually plant lots of Dypsis but strangely enough I did'nt plant any today :hmm: . However I did get my New Cal ON :drool: . Here is the lineup.

5 gal. Kentiopsis Magnifica

5 gal. Chambeyronia Macrocarpa "watermellon"

1 gal. Actinokentia Divaricata

1 gal. Basselinia Pancheri

2-1 gal. Chamaedorea Benziei

Citrus tall Heterospathe Glauca

5 gal. Pritchardia Forbesiana

5 gal. Encephalartos Ferox

5 gal. Ficus Dammaropsis

2 gal. Heliconia

5 gal. Philodendron

1 gal. Blood plant

Not to bad for my first planting day of 09. So what did you plant? I know I was'nt the only palm freak with a shovel in my hands today :) .

Happy growing,

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

In the last 2 days Ive planted these. Most of my time is spent walking around with a plant in my hand trying to figure out where to put it, anyone else do the same thing.

Caryota opiopellis (2)

chambeyronia hookeri(2)

cyphosperma balansae

cyphosperma trichospadix

cyphosperma namboutini

loxococos rupicola

ptychosperma waitaianum (2)

clinostigma haerestigma

dypsis perreri

dypsis florencei

dypsis sp white

dypsis carlsmithii

dypsis tenuissima

dypsis mcdonaldiana

dysis sp masaola (Searle)

basselina pancheri

Burretiokentia grandiflora

licuala wah bah

licuala ?

marojeyja darianiip

ptychosperma cuneatum

JC

:mrlooney: So where's the photos? :rolleyes:

I Thought about taking some pics when I was done but the coldies in the jacuzzi won out :drool: . Pics soon :) .

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

In the last 2 days Ive planted these. Most of my time is spent walking around with a plant in my hand trying to figure out where to put it, anyone else do the same thing.

Caryota opiopellis (2)

chambeyronia hookeri(2)

cyphosperma balansae

cyphosperma trichospadix

cyphosperma namboutini

loxococos rupicola

clinostigma haerestigma

dypsis perreri

dypsis florencei

dypsis sp white

dypsis carlsmithii

dypsis tenuissima

dypsis mcdonaldiana

basselina pancheri

licuala wah bah

licuala ?

marojeyja darianiip

ptychosperma cuneatum

Street, Thats what I'm talkin about! Your starting spring off with a bang :drool: . Very nice lineup too! Curious, Where did you get the plantable size Burretiokentia Grandiflora? I was under the impression that Marcus had the only seeding one in cultivation and he said his are one leafers :hmm: . I have some B. Grandiflora and C. Balansae on order from Floribunda right now :) . Good job Bro!

Stevo

Dam, Steve you where busy. Let's see those photo's. :wacko::wacko:

Yeah Don, I was busy but like Street I spent half the day walking around with a palm in my hand trying to figure out where to plant it :lol: . Picies coming soon my friend.

Stevo

Caryota opiopellis (2)

chambeyronia hookeri(2)

cyphosperma balansae

cyphosperma trichospadix

cyphosperma namboutini

loxococos rupicola

clinostigma haerestigma

dypsis perreri

dypsis florencei

dypsis sp white

dypsis carlsmithii

dypsis tenuissima

dypsis mcdonaldiana

basselina pancheri

licuala wah bah

licuala ?

marojeyja darianiip

ptychosperma cuneatum

Street, Thats what I'm talkin about! Your starting spring off with a bang :drool: . Very nice lineup too! Curious, Where did you get the plantable size Burretiokentia Grandiflora? I was under the impression that Marcus had the only seeding one in cultivation and he said his are one leafers :hmm: . I have some B. Grandiflora and C. Balansae on order from Floribunda right now :) . Good job Bro!

Stevo

Steve it was a one leafer I planted. I got 10 dumasii from him before and they started damping off, so I put 2 in the ground and they are doing good and the rest are goners. I got 6 grandifloras and will probably put a few more straight in ground. Same thing for cyphosperma balansae the few I put in ground survived the ones left in pots died slowly, but I think balansae is tricky here in South Florida anyways. Come to think of it maybe its a new caledonia thing cause it was the same for moratia.

JC

JC, when you going to stop planting all the common stuff and get some real gems???

:)

Where did you pull these?

cyphosperma trichospadix

cyphosperma namboutini

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Caryota opiopellis (2)

chambeyronia hookeri(2)

cyphosperma balansae

cyphosperma trichospadix

cyphosperma namboutini

loxococos rupicola

clinostigma haerestigma

dypsis perreri

dypsis florencei

dypsis sp white

dypsis carlsmithii

dypsis tenuissima

dypsis mcdonaldiana

basselina pancheri

licuala wah bah

licuala ?

marojeyja darianiip

ptychosperma cuneatum

Stevo

Steve it was a one leafer I planted. I got 10 dumasii from him before and they started damping off, so I put 2 in the ground and they are doing good and the rest are goners. I got 6 grandifloras and will probably put a few more straight in ground. Same thing for cyphosperma balansae the few I put in ground survived the ones left in pots died slowly, but I think balansae is tricky here in South Florida anyways. Come to think of it maybe its a new caledonia thing cause it was the same for moratia.

Street, Thanks for the tip. I'll probably plant some of my Grandiflora and Moratia in the ground. I had already planned on planting my Cyphosperma Balansae in the ground. I also have several Basselinia Tomentosas that I germinated and I think I'll plant a few of those as well.

Thanks,

Stevo

I weeded the greenhouse :( It's not spring here yet in Temecula, I just had frost two days ago. I'm jonesin to plant something.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Yeah, I'm still waiting a few more weeks too... might break out the fertilizer next week....

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Planted a 7 gallon Needle palm (R. hystrix) at my mother house yesterday.

Today I am working on a nice Serenoa repens 'silver' multiplanting

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

That's it! Where's my shovel!

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

I'm about fully planted in my small garden. :( I like to give my palms plenty of room to grow, and might already be overplanted from that perspective. Trouble is, I still have many small palms in pots and they'll have to go somewhere eventually. This may mean major excavation and removal of non-essential non-palm plants. :hmm:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I'm about fully planted in my small garden. :( I like to give my palms plenty of room to grow, and might already be overplanted from that perspective. Trouble is, I still have many small palms in pots and they'll have to go somewhere eventually. This may mean major excavation and removal of non-essential non-palm plants. :hmm:

Keep them in pots and plant them later for the Layered effect. Even if some are the same size as the palms in the ground, the potted palms will grow much slower and in a few years will be the perfect size for layering.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I planted ravenea rivularis today.

ravenea-rivularis.jpg

ravenea_rivularis.jpg

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

I fertilized today, and am dying to plant stuff, but it all involves creating 3 good-sized beds and no small amount of hardscape and irrigation work.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I fertilized today, and am dying to plant stuff, but it all involves creating 3 good-sized beds and no small amount of hardscape and irrigation work.

Wuss :mrlooney:

San Marcos CA

I dug out some ficus hedges, opening up my rear garden to my dog's yard. Created a new bed & planted my Carpoxlyon & Allagoptera caudescens I picked up at Searl's this wekend. I also planted a Licuala concinna & a Deckenia nobilis!

post-1035-1236562673_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1236562742_thumb.jpg

post-1035-1236562968_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Planted a 7 gallon Needle palm (R. hystrix) at my mother house yesterday.

Today I am working on a nice Serenoa repens 'silver' multiplanting

Luke:

Looking forward to seeing your Serenoa planting. Today, I planted the Acoelorrhaphe wrightii from Wal-Mart you told me about, and scattered some ginger pieces around.

Jay

Tallahassee, FL USDA Zone 8b

Elevation: 150 ft.

Palm wise, so far I have only planted one Chamaerops humilis this spring. That one went down to hurricane damage. Recommended planting time for palms here is no earlier than May, so I am waiting till then to replace the big Butia that was lost to hurricane damage as well. Hoping to add a few more Livistona, like 'australis' this year. But mostly this year is a recovery year. Last year was a bit tough.

Wait, I forgot. I planted 3 clumps of Chamaedorea klotziana that I grew from seeds last year. I have quite a few other seedling around, that will find their way into the ground somewhere.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Ok, as promised pics from yesterdays planting session. Here is a pic of Kentiopsis Magnifica. This palm throws the most beautiful red frond :drool: .

post-351-1236576158_thumb.jpg

Closeup of the new spear.

post-351-1236576247_thumb.jpg

Chambeyronia Macrocarpa "watermellon". I marked all the spears and this thing actually grew it's first night in the ground.

post-351-1236576420_thumb.jpg

This palm has been a great grower and has proven to be very cold hardy. Heterospathe Glauca.

post-351-1236576591_thumb.jpg

A small but very sturdy 5 leaf Basselinia Pancheri.

post-351-1236576690_thumb.jpg

Actinokentia Divaricata.

post-351-1236576785_thumb.jpg

Dual Chamaedorea Benziei's.These are the other palms that grew the first night.

post-351-1236576982_thumb.jpg

Pritchardia Forbesiana.

post-351-1236577058_thumb.jpg

I planted this arrowhead type Philodendron on the side of my tree fern so it can grow up the trunk.

post-351-1236577208_thumb.jpg

Encephalartos Ferox, I can't wait for this thing to cone :drool: .

post-351-1236577317_thumb.jpg

This is a very cold hardy thick leaved Heliconia. It gets red and white flowers :drool: . I'll post pics when it blooms.

post-351-1236577462_thumb.jpg

Last but not least one of my favorite tree's of all time :drool: . Thanks Jeff Rood! I hope you enjoyed my spring planting pics. Not get out there and dig some holes will ya :) .

Stevo

post-351-1236577662_thumb.jpg

Great to read all that new plantings in everbody their gardens, for me it's better to wait a few more weeks before i start planting. I've got some more room for new plantings because that horrible frost period in Januari that killed some of my plants... I always start with planting in the end of March or Begin of April.

Robbin

Southwest

Steve, Where are you geting your plants?

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

I planted a rather large Pandanus Utilis. Took out a smelly, stinky guava. Much happier!

post-71-1236613953_thumb.jpg

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Looking good guys.

How big is that ferox Stevo? I wish mine would cone soon. The only cycads I have that have coned are Zamia's.

If all goes well, I might be getting a special Butia this weekend that I will plant immediately :yay:

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

John, did you get this from RSN? The reason I ask is I bought one two years ago from them. A good sized one. I ask if it was Pandanus Utilis. They said yes. Jerry has since admitted a mistake (which he did not do one purpose, honest mistake) and these are the Hawaiian Pandanus. Mine has lead a slow miserable death. I am ripping it out this spring. Just curious. :)

I planted a rather large Pandanus Utilis. Took out a smelly, stinky guava. Much happier!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin