IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coldhardiness and adaptability of Parajubaea sunkha

merrill

Alberto, I am happy to see that you revived this thread. Your Parajubaea S. has really grown, and your children too. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Im growing P. tvt, P. sunka & P. microcarpa in Puerto Rico. ( caribbean weather range 90ºF , 90% humidity- summer to fall) GOOD NEWS:D

post-5846-056130000 1313284632_thumb.jpg

P.TVT

post-5846-088041400 1313284657_thumb.jpg

Parajubaeas & cocos nucifera

post-5846-071476700 1313284697_thumb.jpg

P.TVT

post-5846-065324800 1313284709_thumb.jpg

P.sunka

post-5846-091952600 1313284752_thumb.jpg

P. sunka leaves

post-5846-021972800 1313284777_thumb.jpg

post-5846-058856900 1313284812_thumb.jpg

post-5846-091149500 1313284824_thumb.jpg

P. TVT

post-5846-080023300 1313284849_thumb.jpg

P. TVT

post-5846-027475800 1313285272_thumb.jpg

post-5846-003316300 1313285258_thumb.jpg

P. microcarpa

post-5846-085462600 1313285206_thumb.jpg

P. microcarpa

post-5846-099246300 1313285187_thumb.jpg

P.sunka

post-5846-003856700 1313284737_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mantis sp.

Yes Tim and Ante,both are growing well!!:)

Mantis,congratulations with your Parajubaeas. Did you germinate the seeds?I think P.sunkha has a better chance in your climate.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Great Palm Alberto!!

I'm impressed how fast grow this palm

Mine ( Sunka) survived last winter with temperature that drop to -7,5/8c for 3 long time

Sunka was the only Parajubaea with minimal demages , almost nothing

TVT spear pulled but recover enough well

Microcarpa spear pulled but didn't come back , so next time I will wait to have a bigger palm in pot before plant it in the ground

I want also try again Parajubaea cocoides, as I was too impatient to put my 2 beautiful palms in the ground and leave they without any winter protection

Sunka is the best of the group , at least in my climate

Thanks for the beautiful pics

Best M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

WOW Alberto very impressive !:drool: just like Gary Levines !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks :).I also like this palm very much .I suspect it feels totally at home here.

Sunday morning. A few more pics of my biggest P.sunkha from other angles.

Vieuw from the balcon on the second floor: Trunk of the very old Butia eriospatha and two P.sunkhas and my biggest Trachycarpus martianus Khasia Hills (foreground)Other younger B.eriospatha left side of the pic.

post-465-013151800 1313333198_thumb.jpg

post-465-047154900 1313333581_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Alberto I am very jealous of your Parajubaeas and Jubaeas , really somebody should start a viviero for these species there in the mountains.

Impossible to grow them here.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Alberto I am very jealous of your Parajubaeas and Jubaeas , really somebody should start a viviero for these species there in the mountains.

Impossible to grow them here.

Nigel,if my property was in Florianópolis , probably I was growing a lot of other species and not Parajubaeas :mrlooney:

Yes,this species deserves cultivation here!

I have had quite a bit of Success with TVT and Microcarpa unfortunately last winters 6 weeks of Narnia conditions was too much for them.

I was particularly annoyed with my first one which had been in the ground for 5 years and the pinate fronds were starting to stiffen up nicely.

Despite the protection of a Pop up Fleece it didn't make it. However, that winter was exceptional. I have pushed the boat out and acquired a lager TVT and also a small strap leave Sunkha as well. Reading this post it will be interesting to see how the Sunka developes.

Nigel, how come Parajubs don't do well for you there?

Is it too hot for them?

Alberto, your Parajubs are Stunning!

Regards Andy.

Edited by AJQ

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

• 5 months later...

Let's see an update on these palms in Florida!! Are they really making it or was this thread false hope?..

Hello , i am living in Greece zone 9b .

I bought three Parajubaeas in September 2010 , torallyi var torallyi , torallyi var microcarpa and the sunkha . They came all bare root and i plant them in pots , the sunkha rooted well and start growing after seven months the torallyi var microcarpa only two leaves the past summer and the torallyi var torallyi no signs of growth until now . All survived at least -3 c for a short time without any sign of damage !

This spring i am going to plant the two of them ( sunkha and t. v. t. ) in my garden , i hope they will live happily for many years, yours too !

• Upvote 1

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

Mine is still doing well! No photos of it now though.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 5 months later...

What is the diameter of the base of those trunks Alberto? How wide will they get eventually ?

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

Krishna,

I'm interested to see how your P. sunkha is doing. Please post a pic when you get the chance.

Mine died as I neglected it and it ended up getting shaded out and rotting. I have another one that I am going to try and get into the ground either late summer or next spring.

Thanks,

jt

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Hmm, I think this is the most recent photo I have of it and its from this spring. It was still growing very nicely when last I saw it in late June! It slows down quite a bit during the summer but still seems to be growing well!

CIMG2242.jpg

-Krishna

No problem, IMO it's definitely worth trying again as mine has been pretty trouble free, albeit slow. My Dypsis decepiens is also really starting to put on some size. I've honestly had less problems with these two palms than with my Butia x Parajubaea and Jubaea x Syagrus. They seem more tolerant of moisture during the winter months than the hybrids do, or at least that has been the case for me.

-Krishna

-Krishna

What is the diameter of the base of those trunks Alberto? How wide will they get eventually ?

Regards Andy.

The base of the trunkwith the atached leave bases measured 1.43 meters (56 inches)

. It will probably be much thinner when they fall from the trunk.

Mine shows 6 big spathes covered with some thin brown tomentum. Soon I´ll have my own seeds ans will use the pollen on my Butia eriospatha ! :winkie:

Thanks for the Info Alberto, I could not find this thread after doing an exhaustive search recently, so I asked you the same question in the other thread i started.

Regards Andy.

• 2 months later...

Found this thread in researching for my new property. Would be nice to see updates and to also find out if anyone is selling larger ones?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Mine is still going strong. I posted an updated photo a few weeks ago on here.

-Krishna

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Another bump....Alberto... what is yours looking like these days....bet it's huge. Jason, did you try another? Krishna, how is yours doing? Anybody else?

I am debating trying one here.....would this do better in full exposed blaring sun, wind, hot, cold.... or a more protected area of the yard?

Still doing well, posted a photo recently in another thread. These like a good amount of sun but should be in a slightly more protected area as they seem to only be slightly more hardy than queen palms for me.

-Krishna

Tank, Eric, do you have any updated photos of yours? Are they still around?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Tank, Eric, do you have any updated photos of yours? Are they still around?

Slowly getting bigger. No problems as of yet. As I mentioned in another thread, it, and the B x PJ are sitting in the best microclimate in my yard.

post-526-0-85294600-1428932720_thumb.jpg

View from the porch. Its a little hard to see but I thought it might be useful to put into context where I planted it. Its in the second planter. BxJ, P. sunkha, and a silver (whatever that means) queen with a Livistona muelleri right behind the queen VERY close to the wall. The yuccas will probably be removed once and if the palms get bigger.

post-526-0-69939000-1428932793_thumb.jpg

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Keith, I posted one of the Leu Gardens Palm recently also. Although older than mine it's about half the size.

Edited by krishnaraoji88

-Krishna

• 1 month later...

Looks like I will be getting one from Patric.....he said it's big....can't wait.....hope its ok with beach sand and summer sun.

Good luck!

-Krishna

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks..........been noticing all the pictures of this palm in habitat and the ones successfully grown elsewhere, all have clay looking soil and rock....wonder if I should mix some clay with the beach sand?

Thanks..........been noticing all the pictures of this palm in habitat and the ones successfully grown elsewhere, all have clay looking soil and rock....wonder if I should mix some clay with the beach sand?

Mine are growing in sandy soil

Alberto....I wonder if your sand is like mine. I literally have sand the consistency and color of white sugar....almost like growing in hydroponics. Just a few miles north the soil changes to red clay.....Trachyocarpus sp. struggle to survive but do well in the clay to the north. All the pictures of P. sunkha habitat shows lots of huge boulders and reddish looking soil. Could you post a picture of your soil?

I have specimens that are thriving in pots, which are full of very fast-draining soil. The ones in the ground are growing in clay, liberally amended with organics. The ones in the pots need watering a lot more often, but, other than that, seem to do just as well.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Alberto....I wonder if your sand is like mine. I literally have sand the consistency and color of white sugar....almost like growing in hydroponics. Just a few miles north the soil changes to red clay.....Trachyocarpus sp. struggle to survive but do well in the clay to the north. All the pictures of P. sunkha habitat shows lots of huge boulders and reddish looking soil. Could you post a picture of your soil?

I know... there is sandy soil.....and sandy soil. Mine is certainly not the same as I would find in a dune near the sea!

This is a pic when I was removing 3 Phoenix canariensis from the backyard, where the P.sunkka are growing. You can see it´s not wite sand :winkie: but is quite sandy....

g

post-465-0-49546300-1435269963_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Wow....your yard has sure matured! Is that the sunkha on the right side with all that trunk? .... pretty incredible