IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Coral Fire" Ixora

SunnyFl

Hi All,

A few years back, a forum member in Australia (I think it may have been Wal) posted an incredible photo of "Coral Fire" Ixora.

Since then, I have not seen one single source of it anywhere. Does anyone here know anything about it?

Needless to say, I'd give my eye-teeth for one of these.

Sheesh, I'd even like to see that photo again!

Btw, I googled it and looked at a couple of websites (from Australia) that had it. One site said that it was originally discovered in Florida! So - where is it?????

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

It is quite possbile that it is called something completely different here. Wal's "Cherries Jubilee" Alamanda is called "Jamaican Sunset" in Australia. Do you have a picture or a link to a post?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

It is quite possbile that it is called something completely different here. Wal's "Cherries Jubilee" Alamanda is called "Jamaican Sunset" in Australia. Do you have a picture or a link to a post?

I wish. I had the link on my old hard drive (which crashed), so I no longer have it. What I did find out is that "Coral Fire" is a trademarked name, not just a common name. Gardener's Best - a wholesaler - has it available, but unfortunately they're located in Australia - as are the others who stock it. From what I recall about the photo (I think it was on the old board), it looks a bit like super-bright Maui with darker leaves.

St. Pete

I believe this is the original thread.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/lofiversion/....php/t3967.html

Dave's garden has a link to an online vendor in Milton, Delaware that they say carries Ixora "Coral Fire" though the vendor only list it as Ixora Coral. Can't be sure this is the same plant.

http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/169875/

Good Luck

Randall

That one website (http://www.redlandsnursery.com.au/infonotes/coralfir.htm) has this;

Coral Fire® was first discovered growing in Florida where it was being used as a hedge plant. In Florida many thousands of them have been planted around the streets and in parks and gardens, in both commercial and domestic situations, from Miami right through into and including the Orlando area, which gets quite cool at times and frosts are common

Sounds like they are talking about the common I. coccinea or I. chinensis which has been widely used in FL for decades. I have never seen 'Coral Fire' sold here. Maybe they made a selection off a nice flowering specimen here in FL.

"Cultivated Plants of the World" by Don Ellison has 2 selections listed.

Ixora 'Coral'- "Compact and dense, this shrub has flattish heads of orange colored flowers

Ixora 'Coral Fire'- "A medium shrub with heads of deep rose-pink colored flowers"

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The Alamanda is also called 'Cherry Ripe' here.

Ixora 'Coral Fire' is a cultivar of I.chinensis I believe. It, along with Prince of Orange, are about the most commonly sold varieties. There are about a dozen varieties for sale in Oz, maybe more.

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

The Alamanda is also called 'Cherry Ripe' here.

Ixora 'Coral Fire' is a cultivar of I.chinensis I believe. It, along with Prince of Orange, are about the most commonly sold varieties. There are about a dozen varieties for sale in Oz, maybe more.

regards,

Daryl

How I wish they were for sale here! Thank you all for your replies - and Randall, thank you for posting the thread where the photo was. It was very nice to see that again.

It's ironic - as Eric's post said, the cultivar was originally found in Florida, became popular and available in Australia, and here in FL we can't get it. The Ixoras I see for sale here are Maui, Nora Grant, Super King, a yellow-flowered type, dwarf taiwanese, and the pink dwarf kind. Nowhere near the dozen for sale in Australia.

St. Pete