IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Juania australis

kristof p

i've searched for years to find one of these rare palms and two weeks ago i finaly got my small Juania australis :)...i know it is not the easiest palm to grow and i hope it wil be happy in my climate without great extremes. i've seen only a few pictures of people growing them in the UK and Ireland and the ones in the Fransisco bay area (i think in the botanical garden?). are there any other places it likes to grow like for example California, New Zeeland,...?
if you have one please feel free to post a picture of it(also pictures of the palm in it's natural habitat if you've visited the RC island) and share your experiances with the plant. every help to keep it happy/alive is much apreciated :)

here's a picture of my small one, still in it's pot but wil be planted out this spring...

post-2909-1235909829_thumb.jpg

It´s on my list of ´´palms to try´´:)

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

maybe it wil love your climate higher up in the mountains...do your nightime temperatures take a drop even during the summers? high nightimetemperares seems to be the only thing people seem to be sure it doesn't like?...ok, that and prolonged freezes with lows down to about -7°C.

is Lepidorrhachis mooreana on your list of 'palms to try'?...another temperate mountain palm that seems to be not the easiest palm in cultivation.

That's a nice looking palm Kristof. Is this a cold hardy plant?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Just found this on PACSOA, definitely not a palm for my extreme heat :(

This is an island palm, and like many palms from temperate islands, requires a very difficult to imitate set of conditions. It is apparantly not very cold tolerant (it can handle light frosts, but not much more), and also objects very strongly to night time temperatures above 15°C/60°F. It also has the annoying habit of growing seemingly happily for several years, and then suddenly dying for no apparant reason.

It has been grown successfully in San Francisco, altho the botanical gardens there lost a couple during a warm spell one summer. Surprisingly enough, it is also growing quite well in Ireland, not a place normally associated with palm growing.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

It's worth a try, but if it dies, don't cry.

I call it the Suicide Palm, because they seem determined to go self-extinct.

Keep us posted!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

when i bought this palm i knew it is a dificult palm but seeing the specimen in earlscliffe (Ireland) i can not resist to try it. that one in Ireland was planted there in 95 and has always been happy growing since that day. i know i dont have the same mild climate like Ireland but there it has seen a couple of icedays and lows of -7.5°C without the slightes damage! (i rarely go below -5°C most winters or above 30°C in the summer).

here's a little information about that earlscliff Juania and a picture of the same palm in 2008.

http://www.earlscliffe.com/juania_australis.htm

the same palm in 2008.

aV1rXY0.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'd love to try this one out here but I think that the high night time temps in summer might be a bit much for it. We do have success with Howea fosteriana, belmoreana and I've recently had Rhopalostyis sapida and Hedyscepe canteburyana seedlings survive for a year (their still alive and looking good). Any chance??

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Pictures of the small grove of Juania's at the Lakeside Palmetum in Oakland are on the first post in the Travel Log.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=16947

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Here's mine, ready for planting out this spring.

Fingers crossed it will succeed like the fantastic specimen at Earlscliffe :drool:

post-3166-1235982736_thumb.jpg

Edited by madgav

Newtownabbey, County Antrim

Northern Ireland

54°42'N 5°54'W Google maps

Mild temperate climate

Zone 9a (1992-2010)

Average annual minimum: -4°C/25°F

Average annual maximum: 26°C/80°F

Absolute extremes (1992-2010): -11.6°C/11.0°F, 31.0°C/87.8°F

Usually high humidity & no dry season

High winds can also be a problem in winter

Visit My Website

cam.jpg

This would be a palm I would love to try. Now, to get my hands on one...

Nelson, NEW ZEALAND

Sheltered micro-climate

Min -2C, Max 34C

Latitude 41 Degrees South

Warm temperate climate, with over 2500 hours of sunshine per year.

I know of one excellent grower who tried three nice size plants in coastal SoCal and lost them all.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Hi kristof,

How much did you pay for that rarety? And where did you buy it?

Thanks.

Gilles06.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Good luck Kristof. Much of Ireland does have particularly mild winters, but the palm at Earlscliff would certainly have seen many mild freezes in it's time. The other things to bare in mind are that Ireland has very little summer heat and reasonably high year round rain.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Good luck Kristof. Much of Ireland does have particularly mild winters, but the palm at Earlscliff would certainly have seen many mild freezes in it's time. The other things to bare in mind are that Ireland has very little summer heat and reasonably high year round rain.

Hi, yes the wintertemps at earlscliff are milder than mine but the rest is quite simular. i have almost exact the same amount of avarage rainfall(between 650mm and 700mm) and lows rarely exceed -5°C during winters. it is warmer up here during summer but rarely above 30°C. (on average maybe 1 or 2 days above 30°C)...

i can only hope it wil like it in my garden but i think the best way to grow this palm is to almost completely forget it..this works with a couple of other palms i find difficult to grow like Guihia's :lol:

one thing i dont entirely understand is those high nighttime temperatures because a friend of mine has one growing now for a couple of years in his greenhouse and definitely during summer this would stay quite warm at night but it seems quite happy in those conditions?

so Palm Guy, maybe it will grow in your climate :winkie:...maybe it needs lots of water during the entire year. i've read that in it's habitat it rains just everyday! not for long but it would never see real drought.

gyuseppe,

it could be that Mediterranean climates are just to dry for them and tropical climates to warm.

humidity rarely drops under the 70%/75% range in my summers. i think airhumidity is much lower during your summers?...and i am sure rain is also kind of limitiet during your summers?(compared to what we have)

Hi kristof,

How much did you pay for that rarety? And where did you buy it?

Thanks.

Gilles06.

i would rather not say how much i payed for that small palm, i think you can guess such rare palm is quite expensive :winkie:...i bought it at Palmhunter.be the owner of this small exotic nursery is a good friend of mine and a pioneer when it comes to growing palms in my climate. he started trying out palms in my climate around 30years ago...he bought the Juanias from dicksonia.com, 5 specimens in total and those were the last plants dicksonia.com had exceps a few larger ones. it could wel be that those were the last ones in Northern Europe so i am very glad i got one of them.

i do think that this palm wil become more available, i've seen pictures of a nursery in Chili who was growing many Juania's and i am wondering were al those Juania's wil end up? to bad you need a male and a female palm to produce seeds but there must be a few of them in cultivation that soon wil reach flowering size. (the one mentioned flowering in Auckland is very interesting and i would love to see a picture of this one :winkie: )

As Kristof says these are rare and hence not cheap. Mine was purchased from dicksonia.com and cost 150 euro. Thankfully I bought it last autumn when the GBP/euro rate was much more favourable :winkie:

Northern Ireland

Mild temperate climate

Zone 9a (1992-2010)

Visit My Website

cam.jpg

Hi madgav,

good luck with your Juania, i think it will like it at your place. i think mine wil be the first one in a garden in the Benelux so i have no idea what it wil do over the years but i wil keep some protection nearby during winter...

i hope to see those Juania's that are growing in the UK/ireland in flower within a couple of years. i gues if we could get seeds of this palm it would be much more tryed in other climates and prices for this palm would be much lower...

Hi madgav,

good luck with your Juania, i think it will like it at your place. i think mine wil be the first one in a garden in the Benelux so i have no idea what it wil do over the years but i wil keep some protection nearby during winter...

i hope to see those Juania's that are growing in the UK/ireland in flower within a couple of years. i gues if we could get seeds of this palm it would be much more tryed in other climates and prices for this palm would be much lower...

Let's hope so Kristof :) It'll soon be time to pick a spot for it.......

I thought it was about time I had a juania since others have tried them successfully here and there seemed to be some doubts about the future supply/import of these plants. I hope they do become more readily available but I'm not sure if they will.

Gav.

Northern Ireland

Mild temperate climate

Zone 9a (1992-2010)

Visit My Website

cam.jpg

Madgav,

yes, i am also not sure if it wil be much available in the future? i am still horified if i think about those nice Juania's the palm centre imported early 2008 (or was it 2007)...

they al died in the container, i think it was the authorities who did not want to release the container and they al died while waiting :unsure::rage:....

look at this sad picture of al those dead Juania's :(

post-2909-1236103424_thumb.jpg

I know of one excellent grower who tried three nice size plants in coastal SoCal and lost them all.

Are they on this board? I was actually thinking of trying one. Remember, I live in Arctic Oceanside.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This palm doesn't sound like it wants to live anywhere.

Edited by osideterry

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Are they on this board? I was actually thinking of trying one. Remember, I live in Arctic Oceanside.

No Bill,

They were in the Palm Recluse's garden near me. If you can't decipher my secret code, PM me.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

i am still horified if i think about those nice Juania's the palm centre imported early 2008 (or was it 2007)...

I remember that, shocking waste of such rare plants :angry:

Northern Ireland

Mild temperate climate

Zone 9a (1992-2010)

Visit My Website

cam.jpg

No Bill,

They were in the Palm Recluse's garden near me. If you can't decipher my secret code, PM me.

Got it. Desert bound these days.

Thanks

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

In theory it should grow well in New Zealand, but so far I know of only 3 surviving past juvenile stage, and only one of those trunking and flowering... see attached picture. The photo was taken in mid winter so the palm is a bit yellow from all the rain... I wonder if it is susceptible to some fungal disease that attacks the meristem (eg Phytophtora sp.) or maybe a lack of some minerals in the soil... or maybe the temperature extremes it has to cope with outside its native habitat are just too much to handle in long term?

Marian(o)

post-670-1236160974_thumb.jpg

Auckland, New Zealand

Madgav,

yes, i am also not sure if it wil be much available in the future? i am still horified if i think about those nice Juania's the palm centre imported early 2008 (or was it 2007)...

they al died in the container, i think it was the authorities who did not want to release the container and they al died while waiting :unsure::rage:....

look at this sad picture of al those dead Juania's :(

Oh God! It's sad! I thought was impossible get Juania australis seedlings. I would like try in my climate, I think it grow here

Good luck Kristiph & Gav. I have 2, one I have had for 4 winters & a second one which I aquired last summer which I shall plant in a few weeks time. Gav yours should do well for you as your climate is basically the same as mine. One bit of advice for both of you though is when you plant it, ensure that you also put ring or two of 6 inch Nails about 12 inches from the trunk in a circle. This is essential to allow a slow feed of iron. My first one looked a bit yellow after being in it's pot all winter this greened it up very very quickly and it has been in the rudest of health ever since.

Regards Andy.

Edited by AJQ

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

Good luck Kristiph & Gav. I have 2, one I have had for 4 winters & a second one which I aquired last summer which I shall plant in a few weeks time. Gav yours should do well for you as your climate is basically the same as mine. One bit of advice for both of you though is when you plant it, ensure that you also put ring or two of 6 inch Nails about 12 inches from the trunk in a circle. This is essential to allow a slow feed of iron. My first one looked a bit yellow after being in it's pot all winter this greened it up very very quickly and it has been in the rudest of health ever since.

Regards Andy.

Thanks for that Andy. I think yours was in a part shade, moist area if I remember correctly?

Haven't decided where to put mine yet :rolleyes:

Northern Ireland

Mild temperate climate

Zone 9a (1992-2010)

Visit My Website

cam.jpg

Regards Andy.

Hi Andy,

thanks about the tip about the iron. any cultivation tip is very welcome when it comes to this palm...

i think i am fortunate then that the groundwater/soil here is very rich in iron :).

does anyone even knows in what kind of soil they grow in their natural habitat? this could solve maybe a couple of troubles with this palm???

Edited by kristof p

Hi Kristof and Gav best of luck with your seedlings.

I kept my palm in my greenhouse through winter for the first 2 winters to bulk it up so be warned!!

If you get -7.5 C Kristof without double fleecing it will burn all the leaves off and as you know -9 C will probably kill it like Ade Shattocks poor palm.

Mine has been in the ground 3 or 4 years now but last year with -6 C for a week it burnt badly though it is making a good comeback now and is looking nice and greenish.Temps above 15 C at night will stop the palm growing stone dead and mine grows best in September and October in my garden when the temps have dropped and we only make 25 C occasionally. :unsure:

The picture I took of all the dead Juanias in Kristof's post was heart breaking to see and such a waste of a prized palm.........I believe they were not allowed to be watered while being fumigated.

Marian the trunked Juania pic you have posted looks fab a stunner. :drool: and those grove of Juania Ghar look fantastic thanks for posting.

I have just travelled 300 miles partly to see some more Juania growing outside here in the UK and will post pics and a short you-tube vid here when I get my act together though we arrived back only yesterday.

Mine before the burn.

71041268.POzWV0sq.IMGP9170.jpgre.jpg

kev

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

Mine has been left out in its 'pot' virtually all winter and was only brought inside on the coldest nights. Probably not even necessary since my minimum for the winter has been -3C (27F).

Once planted out I expect to be giving it some TLC for the first few winters, even if the lows are no worse than that.

Look forward to seeing the pics Kev :drool:

Northern Ireland

Mild temperate climate

Zone 9a (1992-2010)

Visit My Website

cam.jpg

Great one Kristof, i'm defitnely interested how this palm will grow in your garden. We had talked about it before, where it does growing and where not. I'm not going to try this palm species, because i do think it will died over here too (my garden). But keep me updated please :)

Robbin

Southwest

Marian..

I think that you are right about being suseptible to Pytopthora. My one was growing well in the ground for 4 or 5 years and then died suddenly. I had no idea back then what had caused its demise but with experience/knowledge gained since, I have no doubt that Phytopthora was the cause.

cheers..

Malcolm

I've not seen one in person much less tried to grow one. Good luck with yours Kristoff. From what I've read, this palm is perhaps the most unforgiving in cultivation with its very specific requirements.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B