IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It is done

BS Man about Palms

Bill - I think planting it high was brillant. Don't these Dypsis kind of "suck down" and develope a massive subteranean trunk before the trunk emerges? That is what I believe Ryan told me was their character. Mine took 38 degrees F for three days but I cheated and heavily irrigated with with 78 degree water at dawn for two hours each day. Sorry to confer that it does look alot like Dypsis prestoniana. Maybe you will be lucky and be the first to have a trunking Dypsis sp. "Strawberry Nehi"

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ron, but I think its past its "suck down" phase. Here is a pic from this morning. I hope this means alarming growth speed now. :D

post-27-1244216746_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 month later...

5 week update. You can just make out the 30 inch spear coming up too! :D

post-27-1247347662_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 month later...

Heres the "6 months after planting update". I think its HAPPY. :D

post-27-1251046113_thumb.jpg

The view from above is better! Oh yes, there is a new spear about 5 inches up too, nestled next the big one.

post-27-1251046190_thumb.jpg

post-27-1251046231_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed today I'm starting to get some color tomentum on the leaf base... :drool:

post-27-1252350098_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is roughly 7 months after planting opening its second frond and looking HAPPY. (man that old tire looks cheesy, I promise to get that out of there for the next shot. -Trash guys won't take it.)

post-27-1253995977_thumb.jpg

post-27-1253996094_thumb.jpg

Yes please Bill, could you redo the same photo above and just have mulch around the palms, no bins, tyres, bricks etc, I'm telling you, that would be the photo of the month, the palm looks wonderful.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Better? :blink:

(no mulch though)

post-27-1254523042_thumb.jpg

You're a giant of a man Bill.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Having the side of a truck to stand on improves my stature in the neighborhood... :D

• 7 months later...

Here is this baby 15 months after planting.

post-27-12748890775939_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

3 1/2 years after planting... you can get this! B)

post-27-0-42122000-1346616373_thumb.jpg post-27-0-73756700-1346616512_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I thought a nice Mini movie from today would be good to add here. :D

pancheribigc 001.MPG

You gave some good soil to your Basselinia, which was planted you high!

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Wow! nice video....gives you a better appreciation of the size and look than a still photo. However, I must say that when you said "Thats a spear" right at the end..........gave me chills...........scary. Like an alter-ego voice or something.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thanks Cindy!

Phillipe, The heeled palms usually sink down, so no problem being too high here.

And David, I was channeling my Aussie friends then :)

Its towering over the weeds!

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

• 5 months later...

Love to see an updated photo! It should be cranking now that the roots have established in the native soil

• 1 month later...

Yep, it IS towering over the weeds now!

post-27-0-03460000-1374946041_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the dying bottom frond in this view. All its covering is a massive crownshot and who would want to see that anyway? ;)

post-27-0-95842500-1374946254_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yep, it IS towering over the weeds now!

attachicon.gifFicusDvarious 006.JPG

Sorry about the dying bottom frond in this view. All its covering is a massive crownshot and who would want to see that anyway? ;)

attachicon.gifFicusDvarious 007.JPG

They sell loppers at the big box stores :lol:

Thanks for the update - getting BIG :greenthumb:

Wow, Bill, that's getting big, all right.

How tall is it?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bill - Its grown into monster! Hope you have a Big Monster Birthday today! :lol:

• 9 months later...

I don't know whether I can get a good pic of it or not, but finally pulled off the oldest leaf base and saw trunk... just below the soil line. Next leaf base will be trunk!

• 1 year later...

I figured this was the best place to post this... a mere 7 years later after planting it.. (But it was big when planted.. )

20160303_090619.jpg

20160303_090644.jpg

• Upvote 2

crazy cool Bill!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 3/4/2016, 9:33:43, Matt in OC said:

Wow, looking forward to seeds! How about a full monty shot??

What, this little ol' thing? Its just a cute little palm tree... ;) B)

20160305_112756.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hard to get a good overall pick of the seeds though. I cut off the 1st and 3rd spathes...

20160305_112723.jpg

On December 1, 2012 at 7:01:17 PM, Cindy Adair said:

Great looking palm Bill!

Still a great looking palm Bill!

Congratulations!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

5 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

What, this little ol' thing? Its just a cute little palm tree... ;) B)

20160305_112756.jpg

Holy cow! That's gorgeous. 

• 1 year later...

I occasionally get requests to update this.. Here I am yesterday with the big guy.. first pic I took still had the lower two leaves on and they were about 70% brown. They did a great job of blocking the crown.. so I opted to remove so you could see the crown. and me.

20170625_192159.thumb.jpg.1d3de2775bf613

I think I counted it holding 13 leaves before I cut the two lowest. That's why you see some brown, I rarely am able to take a flattering picture of it with my phone. It looks much better in person.

I like the way the newer leaves look.

20170625_191546.thumb.jpg.7856caff0af7dc

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

It looks much better in person.

I concur Bill. So do you.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Btw, nice growing; that thing's a beast.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

8 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

20170625_192159.thumb.jpg.1d3de2775bf613

I think I counted it holding 13 leaves before I cut the two lowest. That's why you see some brown, I rarely am able to take a flattering picture of it with my phone. It looks much better in person.

I like the way the newer leaves look.

20170625_191546.thumb.jpg.7856caff0af7dc

So Bill, by reading back through this thread, it appears this is Dypsis OCWS version of prestoniana.  Do you still standby your quote from the Dypsis "Big Curly" confusion post in 2012: 

Dypsis OCWS is harder to grow by several fold and "looks similar to" some recent Dypsis prestonia (as such) named or collected by Pete Balasky some 4-5 years ago. (which looks different from about the 2 year point on, from the above palm)... but still "kinda close" in looks. I refer to these as the "two-toned" petiole large Dypsis, and the above is a solid green when growing. These here being a "yellow/white" as such.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

6 minutes ago, Tracy said:

So Bill, by reading back through this thread, it appears this is Dypsis OCWS version of prestoniana.  Do you still standby your quote from the Dypsis "Big Curly" confusion post in 2012: 

Dypsis OCWS is harder to grow by several fold and "looks similar to" some recent Dypsis prestonia (as such) named or collected by Pete Balasky some 4-5 years ago. (which looks different from about the 2 year point on, from the above palm)... but still "kinda close" in looks. I refer to these as the "two-toned" petiole large Dypsis, and the above is a solid green when growing. These here being a "yellow/white" as such.

The ease of growth statement regarding the two types I stand firmly behind. (I.E. the two-tone emerging spear version is MUCH harder to grow well and easy versus the solid green spear version which is an easy home run)

However I do see that early on I did call this the OCWS.. probably shortly after planting I went with the big curley version name and I and most have continued to identify both as such. Big Curley =solid green spear, OCWS= two tone spear. I did procure another big curley in a trashcan and it's ease of growth is basically stupefying. I do nothing but water it, the can is split and leaks water, I occasionally mulch the top and it pushes 6-7 foot leaves. On the other hand I have a couple OCWS (none "officially" in the ground) that if I do not water right or enough or too much, adios they go.

The above is the "big curley" one.