IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It is done

BS Man about Palms

Wow. Which ones should argue with and which ones should I deny! (Or at least make an effort to :blush: )

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Bill :)

Hey i know... :winkie:

you got married and you have planted few palms in your newly renovated home with her assistance ! :)

am i right ! :hmm:

Love,

Kris :)

Well, no. I wish though!

You finished your frontyard palm plantings or....................

You planted your Orania!!! :drool:

Sad, really. See post #31

Planted a Cycad?

Still working on planting my first one of those....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

:violin::interesting:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The container ranch is now the Terra Firma ranch.

Tim

While the progress is there, it certainly is not "done" :)

You finished your minaturized version of Lord Howe Island.

Excellent guess Bret!!! But while it almost happened before this, it is NOT done either.

You traded one of those famous "Ranch Hands" for a Ketiopsis Piersoniorum and a dozen donuts?

Gary

Wait.

Do you know where I can make this deal? Seriously.

I mean it.

I've always got my left RanchHand you know. :unsure:

Speak up.

You solved the financial crisis and are appearing in front of the Senate banking Committee? This is fun. :lol:

No, that shall be next month. Or at most, the month after.

You weeded the entire backyard!

Terry, C'mon. This is serious. Think about it. Will that ever happen? At least in my lifetime?

You took your palms out of the greenhouse.

Joe, you were warm earlier. Just got real cold.

You finally bought a ticket to come back to Costa Rica? :)

Not yet, a bit premature that one.....

You found the round up isle at home depot :mrlooney:

You mean there IS a Roundup aisle there? :blink:

:hmm:

Elective surgery?

You bought a plane ticket to Hawaii? B)

I think Kostas got it: the Orania is in the ground. :)

Hmmm :hmm: back at cha.

I hope the company will do that FOR me later this year.

Again, refer to post #31. :(:crying::angry:

You'll have to poke with a stick to find out :P

Do you mean roadkill?

i know...but i'm not tellin.

:P

Not sure if I mentioned it to.... wait! Yep! Burt knows! Good man for keepin' a secret.

For those that guessed the Orania is in the ground. They would be correct. It is now composting nicely. :crying:

Yes Bill I have a clue and it involves the planting of a trashcan sized plant.

Hmmm. Len missed the first post about waiting...but I suspect he was talking about this...

bctrash1008001.jpg

• Upvote 1

For those that guessed the Orania is in the ground. They would be correct. It is now composting nicely. :crying:

He planted the Big Curly-OCWS-Prestoniana?

Hmmm. I need a decision from the judges.

ocws002.jpg

While Nick's guess is correct, would he have got it without Lens cheating. I mean involvement. :P ?

Thats a 30" inch box you folks see there! :D:drool: I'll take a better "pretty pic" of it . someday.

• Upvote 1

He planted the Big Curly-OCWS-Prestoniana?

Hmmm. I need a decision from the judges.

ocws002.jpg

While Nick's guess is correct, would he have got it without Lens cheating. I mean involvement. :P ?

Thats a 30" inch box you folks see there! :D:drool:

They are both eliminated.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Theres a fast call from a judge! Wait. Are you a Judge?

As for the rest of the guesses after...................... most ALL of you should be ashamed. :innocent: even the naysayers..

Actually, once you said I was close with my first guess... I was thinking that you planted that monster. :D Then I thought...NAAAAH...he would not plant that $$$$ palm until later in Spring. Guess I was wrong.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Actually, once you said I was close with my first guess... I was thinking that you planted that monster. :D Then I thought...NAAAAH...he would not plant that $$$$ palm until later in Spring. Guess I was wrong.

If anyone remembers my concern over the "rain" it got from the gutter, I marked it. It has pushed at least 6" inches of 1" diameter spear since then. For one of these Dypsis in winter, thats movin !

Theres a fast call from a judge! Wait. Are you a Judge?

As for the rest of the guesses after...................... most ALL of you should be ashamed. :innocent: even the naysayers..

Not sure if I am a judge, but I am sure that I have judged. lol.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

BS:

Keep us apprizxed of hte Monster's progress!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

There must be a good reason it is so close to the driveway.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

one would assume so...

then again i have made questionable choices of where to plant things myself :blush:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

There must be a good reason it is so close to the driveway.

That strip of my property over there is only about 4 foot wide, I wanted some thing big, and I like when leaves hang over driveways. (when the house is finished, I hope it is rare to have a vehicle so close.)

You discovered you like your left ranchand more than your right ranchhand. :mrlooney:

:floor: OMG!!!! Switch hitter!!!

Too funny lmao.gif Hey Mark, my laughing smiley is better than yours peace.gif

Hey Matt,

You are deffinatly right!! You have some kickin emoticons!!! I loved the one where you said Sabals rock!!! That one is my favorite!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

What is it, a Dypsis Sp. Big Curly? Ed

Ed- The story is a little muddied here, but the "grower" said it was a "Dypsis Big Curly" yet the man I purchased it from and I both thought it looked like what is usually known around here as "Dypsis OCWS" (orange crownshaft white shaft). Ultimately I suspect it is probably a "form" of Dypsis prestoniana".

Either way, it will prove to be a big, cool, Dypsis! :D

Nice one, BS.

I would have guessed something to do with the ranch hands too...where did the nice triple rare Dypsis go, by the way? :)

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

What a superb prestoniana Bill, all the best for it's future.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

...where did the nice triple rare Dypsis go, by the way? :)

Gileno, luckily I may have several Dypsis that may fit that description. Could you be more specific? :huh:

Wal-

Couldn't you wait to call it prestoniana for a year or more later? Then I might feel better about the money I spent on it. :bemused:

Great planting Bill! :) I am happy it does so well for you! :)

I dont hesitate to make winter palm planting myself either,i planted an Archontophoenix alexandrae in the ground when tempratures last night had reached 0,1C :lol::blink: Its still fine though! :)

I am very sorry about your Orania,its very sad :( I think that with a little more acclimation it could have done better...What exactly did it in?

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

clay, muck mix over top of a very loose/perlite mix below. I thought it was a heavy mix so did not water often and it dried out prior to our 34F night. :(

That sucks even more... :( I hope you find another one one day soon! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

• 1 month later...

Heres an update roughly 6 weeks after planting... It looks like 10 1/2 ' of growth!! Woo hoo Buddy!!! :drool:

post-27-1239499825_thumb.jpg

post-27-1239499876_thumb.jpg

It's lookin' great Bill! about how high up is the top of the planter box from the ground?

BTW - I planted my tiny Sabal Yapa in February. We'll see what happens. I'm not convinced either way.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Thanks Scott. Its good to see you postin' again!

The top is about 9" above the soil line, about 5" above the "mulch" level.

I hate to throw cold water on this thread but that does not look in the ground. It looks like a half buried box not a half planted palm. No points for halfway Bill.

San Marcos CA

Don't be jealous, Shon.

about how high up is the top of the planter box from the ground?

The top is about 9" above the soil line, about 5" above the "mulch" level.

Sorry if I've missed the discussion of this, but can you explain your thinking on this method of planting? I understand the concept of planting high, it's the box I'm wondering about.

Do you remove the bottoms? Are you just going to let the sides decompose?

I was thinking about this today. I realised not everyone realises the box serves a "TEMPORARY" use. In my case, It has various uses. On the palms that were potted into boxes earlier, its easier to control the soil, etc and move if needed. It also is the "LAST TIME" it will suffer a "repot setback". When I put it into the soil, it is a temporary defense against the gophers I get around here.

Eventually it rots away and I pull off the top edges. if the bottoms are not "gone" by planting time, I usually pull one board.

... it is a temporary defense against the gophers I get around here.

When I'm planting in an area with gophers, I line the holes with chicken wire.

• Upvote 1

I hate to throw cold water on this thread but that does not look in the ground. It looks like a half buried box not a half planted palm. No points for halfway Bill.

Actually I borrowed this idea from Bill also... My Rhopie I bought from MattyB really needed to get planted and the intended place was shallow because of the root system of the shade tree it was going under.

So I sliced off the bottom 1/2 of the pot, dug down as far as I could go and planted that thing! Now, happily, it's thriving here like it never has before. This was another February planting.

Bill - I asked about the soil height because the soil height of the Rhopies container is about 10" above soil level. I figure I'll make a raised planter bed around it eventually. The way it is now the container is concealed by other plants that will eventually be gonzo for palms! :mrlooney:

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Looking back to the original title line for this thread, my response is "it is never done?"

You finished your minaturized version of Lord Howe Island.

Oh yeah, finished that little part a week or more ago..... (Lepidorachis was the last to go in....)

Wow, looking good!

Keep us apprized . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.