IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

E. hirsutus / E. latifrons

RMOWEN01

OK, Ladies and gentlemen..

I find myself in a position similar to Indiana Jones...pun intended!

I am representing a private concern in the offering for sale of an Encephalartos hirsutus.

An oblong caudex 3 1/2 inches X 5 inches, one old frond and 4 new fronds from newest flush.

$8000.00 USD

Legally dealer obtained and held in a private collection, includes (original phytosanitary) and delivery.

post-1963-1235013097_thumb.jpg

Encephalartos hirsutus

post-1963-1235013116_thumb.jpg

Encephalartos hirsutus

Also offering an Encephalartos latifrons....4 1/2" caudex, 25 plus fronds.

$3500.00 USD

post-1963-1235013153_thumb.jpg

Encephalartos latifrons

post-1963-1235013177_thumb.jpg

Encephalartos latifrons

Continental US ONLY, sorry guys.

OK, Ladies and gentlemen..

I find myself in a position similar to Indiana Jones...pun intended!

I am representing a private concern in the offering for sale of an Encephalartos hirsutus.

An oblong caudex 3 1/2 inches X 5 inches, one old frond and 4 new fronds from newest flush.

$8000.00 USD

Legally dealer obtained and held in a private collection, includes (original phytosanitary) and delivery.

post-1963-1235013097_thumb.jpg

Encephalartos hirsutus

post-1963-1235013116_thumb.jpg

Encephalartos hirsutus

Also offering an Encephalartos latifrons....4 1/2" caudex, 25 plus fronds.

$3500.00 USD

post-1963-1235013153_thumb.jpg

Encephalartos latifrons

post-1963-1235013177_thumb.jpg

Encephalartos latifrons

Continental US ONLY, sorry guys.

:drool:

lol...i'm surprised they weren't gone within 5 minutes of being posted....

Surprised? For $8,000 ?? :lol:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Beautiful cycads!

lol...i'm surprised they weren't gone within 5 minutes of being posted....

Surprised? For $8,000 ?? :lol:

Actually.....yes. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Yep. Still not into the cycads.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I've heard of E. latifrons. What's up with E. hirsutus? Where's it from? What's it like? Why is it 8000 bones?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

How come E. latifrons leafs look more like Encephalartos arenarious maybe a hybrid??

Here's my E. latifrons leafs much tighter!

LatiLeaf.jpg

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Those cycads are rare, but nothing special. I wonder if they really are a distinct species or was someone desperate to get there name on a plant. I think of it like a coin collector, is a 1909 penny really any different than a 2009 penny? At least with the penny it can't die before you resell it.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

You guys all are ALL insane. Encephalartos hirsutus is the flagship in the Encephalartos model line. Screw Woodii! The pic alone had me at half mass. Do your research. Encephalartos hirsutus is a one of a kind.

1) Decurrent leaflets. No other Encephalartos has that!

2) Heavy tomentum that last a long time on new flushes. No other blue has that. Makes it look like it is en fuego with hielo flames. Yeah, I said it.

3) Raised veins on underside of leaflet. No other blue has that.

I agree many times some of the rare cycads are ugly and only command price for rarity not beauty - see Dioon caputoi for that. This baby has beauty and brains. Anyone who thinks other wise should rot in cycad hell!!!! :wacko::yay::D

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

100% Latifrons. Maybe it is the Green Hill form. Yours looks like Trapps Valley form. I had hoped since you sell Cycads you would know that. :floor::)

How come E. latifrons leafs look more like Encephalartos arenarious maybe a hybrid??

Here's my E. latifrons leafs much tighter!

LatiLeaf.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I agree with Len that the latifrons is most likely Green Hill form and not grown in full sun.

Since Green Hill goes for less then Trapps Valley I think the price is justified.

The price for the hirsutus is what the market will give for it and yes there are enough wealthy people willing to spend the money provided it is grown well which would be something the seller & buyer should talk about.

In regards to what kind of plants justify big bucks - there will always be people willing to spend mega bucks for a plant others might find ugly or just "nothing special" and for some people that might be a

"Big Curly" or "Madfox" or hirsutus (on either side of the isle).

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

I'm with osideterry, glad I'm not into cycads,well I do have some coonties that I paid 900 bones for!

One could loose everything, have to sell the farm to support that addiction!

RMOWEN01 at least you got alot of exposure for your sale plants! :)

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Everyone, It's a very simple thing why many things that are of ordinary materials can demand an insaine amount of money. People see a painting, some like it some hate it. Neither views determine it's value. Gold and diamonds are just metal and rock. A 1909 s dvd lincoln penny is just a penny. But NOT to collectors!!! The collector mentality determines the price of otherwise ordinary items when those items have special provonance going on. Encephalartos hirsutus is extreamly rare and great looking. There are many cycad collectors with deep pockets. This plant could draw their attention. It's a simple thing supply and demand? Regards Randy

test

I'm with osideterry, glad I'm not into cycads,well I do have some coonties that I paid 900 bones for!

Ya cycads are lame :sick::blink::blush::wacko::wub:

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Ya cycads are lame :sick::blink::blush::wacko::wub:

LAME ....... !!! and yet another pedestrian over/inapropriate use of emoticons!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

OK, ladies and gentlemen.......

Only the latifrons remains.

Boy do I feel stupid now. I passed up on the offer to buy seeds last year from some seed dealer in Cameroon. :rage:

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Boy do I feel stupid now. I passed up on the offer to buy seeds last year from some seed dealer in Cameroon. :rage:

Jeff,

With all due respect........

Even the seeds require a cities.

Believe me without legal documentation it's not worth the Russian roulette.

You may get them back,germinated and still get a knock on the door several sales down the road and years later.

I would be wary of seed anyway. If I remember my history I beleive only 3 or so colonies of these remain in habitat and the polinator is now extinct.

I think you were smart not buying them myself.

Jeff,

You may get them back,germinated and still get a knock on the door several sales down the road and years later.

I would be wary of seed anyway. If I remember my history I beleive only 3 or so colonies of these remain in habitat and the polinator is now extinct.

So true RMOWEN01, you never know what your buying with cycad seeds tell many years down the road and Cycads hybrid very easily!

Jeff,

So true RMOWEN01, you never know what your buying with cycad seeds tell many years down the road and Cycads hybrid very easily!

I was actually refering more to the fact that their ILLEGAL. hmmm

I hope that E. hirsutus went to a good home where it might one day be paired up with another one of opposite gender. It would be nice to see update photos of it in the future to see how much it had grown. <hint>

Gtlevine posted Yesterday, 05:32 PM

...I think of it like a coin collector, is a 1909 penny really any different than a 2009 penny?...

yachtingone posted Yesterday, 10:32 PM

...A 1909 s dvd lincoln penny is just a penny. But NOT to collectors!!! The collector mentality determines the price of otherwise ordinary items when those items have special provonance going on...

In response to the comments involving the comparison between the E. hirsutus and a 1909 S VDB Lincoln Cent, I would have to say if having a choice between them I would have to choose the penny; as long as the condition of the cent was decent. It is not a easy decision, but one I would be happy with. When a rare item becomes available combined with the desire of collectors, any price can be rationalized. I have seen a coin collector mortgage their house just to get one coin. I have been a coin collector much longer than a cycad enthusiast. Plus, I already have a 1909 VDB cent in near perfect condition so I would really like the "S" to complete the set. <another hint, less likely to be received>

Ryan

South Florida

You guys all are ALL insane. Encephalartos hirsutus is the flagship in the Encephalartos model line. Screw Woodii! The pic alone had me at half mass. Do your research. Encephalartos hirsutus is a one of a kind.

2) Heavy tomentum that last a long time on new flushes. No other blue has that. Makes it look like it is en fuego with hielo flames. Yeah, I said it.

I agree many times some of the rare cycads are ugly and only command price for rarity not beauty - see Dioon caputoi for that. This baby has beauty and brains. Anyone who thinks other wise should rot in cycad hell!!!! :wacko::yay::D

Thank you Len for explaining the virtues of E. hirsutus in a way that only a true Snark Ph.D. can. Should I go to my room now?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Len, Len, Len, my friend. It may have all that stuff you say, which I don't see, but looking at the picture I can get a Longifolius that blows it away for a lot fewer benjamins. I have no problem with collectors (I'm one), spending bucks on a rare item, but that cycad should at least look $7000.00 better than say a Dolomiticus? for example. I also think it should come with a guarantee that it won't ever die.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Who said Russian Roulette isn't fun? I personally get a bang out of it.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Gary, this is only a baby. Give it a few more flushes. I know you are a E. dolomiticus guy. But I can put E. dolomiticus, E. eugene-maraisii, E. dyerianus and E. middelburgensis all together with E. hirsutus and I bet you would hit E. hirsutus 100% of the time but would be 25% guess each time with the others. It is that different. Hell, the only thing I can go off of is what books and others that have actually seen one have said. I personally have never seen the plant live. But I believe it to be one of the best looking cycads around and it turns out to be one of the - if not the hardest to get.

My guess a Dolo would run $2000 the same size? Bruce, George, anyone???

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Jeff,

Ray,

I'm asumming that you haven't been on the forum long enough to know that there have been a handful of people in the past that have signed on and offer all kinds of rare seeds to our membership. It's a big scam. And some of them tell us that they live in Cameroon. That's all, I was mearly make a joke about passing up the chance to buy seeds.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

my 2 cents:

whoever got that hirsutus is one lucky person...they are almost NEVER offered for sale.

while beauty is in the eye of the beholder, hirsutus stands head and shoulders above all the plants in the eugene-complex imho.

while very beautiful and rare in their own right, dolos and dyers aren't even a close second, though i would of course like to have all three eventually. :)

I'm way to broke to like cycads.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

I hope that E. hirsutus went to a good home where it might one day be paired up with another one of opposite gender. It would be nice to see update photos of it in the future to see how much it had grown. <hint>

Gtlevine posted Yesterday, 05:32 PM

...I think of it like a coin collector, is a 1909 penny really any different than a 2009 penny?...

yachtingone posted Yesterday, 10:32 PM

...A 1909 s dvd lincoln penny is just a penny. But NOT to collectors!!! The collector mentality determines the price of otherwise ordinary items when those items have special provonance going on...

In response to the comments involving the comparison between the E. hirsutus and a 1909 S VDB Lincoln Cent, I would have to say if having a choice between them I would have to choose the penny; as long as the condition of the cent was decent. It is not a easy decision, but one I would be happy with. When a rare item becomes available combined with the desire of collectors, any price can be rationalized. I have seen a coin collector mortgage their house just to get one coin. I have been a coin collector much longer than a cycad enthusiast. Plus, I already have a 1909 VDB cent in near perfect condition so I would really like the "S" to complete the set. <another hint, less likely to be received>

Ryan

Yep- I was a "numismatist" until I started driving..maybe a little later. I did get an unc. 1909 VDB too, its around somewhere. But I would take the plant.

On the assumption it lives, It will be "changing", thus something to behold over time. With a coin, it just looks the same, and other than the rarity, I can't watch it change to something more awesome.

Unless it changed to dead. Then it wouldn't be awesome. :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!