IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where were the weathermen?????

Palm Guy

Hi all,

Last night was an awakening to the power of mother nature. This is not hurricane season but the cold front that passed through last night was enough to damage my shadehouse throw leaves all over my yard, overturn 3 gallon pots filled with heavy soil and even pushed down some trees and electrical poles. Many homes of the island including my own was without power late last night.

Some reports said that wind gusts were as strong as a Cat 2 Hurricane. Another report stated winds of only 70 mph , just under Cat 1 force. Either way...It was windy!!! Thank goodness my small palms pulled through. I was hoping they wouldn't snap and they didn't.

Where the heck was the warning???? We regularly get gale force winds but not to this magnitude. The very rare hail and frequent thunderstorms yes, but hurricane force winds in winter??? Couldn't the weather men forcast this??

How are you guys making out in Florida? Any unusally strong winds? We normally get the same cold fronts!

Cheers,

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Hi all,

Last night was an awakening to the power of mother nature. This is not hurricane season but the cold front that passed through last night was enough to damage my shadehouse throw leaves all over my yard, overturn 3 gallon pots filled with heavy soil and even pushed down some trees and electrical poles. Many homes of the island including my own was without power late last night.

Some reports said that wind gusts were as strong as a Cat 2 Hurricane. Another report stated winds of only 70 mph , just under Cat 1 force. Either way...It was windy!!! Thank goodness my small palms pulled through. I was hoping they wouldn't snap and they didn't.

Where the heck was the warning???? We regularly get gale force winds but not to this magnitude. The very rare hail and frequent thunderstorms yes, but hurricane force winds in winter??? Couldn't the weather men forcast this??

How are you guys making out in Florida? Any unusally strong winds? We normally get the same cold fronts!

Cheers,

We're doing OK down here, Mike. The cold front pushed through but with nary a breeze. I think that the mid-level jet stream MUST have been juxtaposed over BDA and that PLUS water temperatures in the mid-upper 70's (no?) must have synergistically worked together to give the Bermudas a real wind knock-out event! :hmm: Sorry, that you had to deal with that. That kind of (as well as ferocity) of weather "event" lets me know that Spring '09 is well on its way, brother! :)

Cheers!

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Hi all,

Some reports said that wind gusts were as strong as a Cat 2 Hurricane. Another report stated winds of only 70 mph , just under Cat 1 force.

Gusts vs. sustained wind maybe? Though wind doesn't need to be sustained (over 1 minute) to do a lot of damage. It's good your palms are okay- wind can do worse harm than cold.

Where the heck was the warning????

These unpredicted "sneak attacks" are particularly unnerving, especially at night, when you have no way of observing what's going on or how severe it could get - how long did this go on? I don't understand the lack of warning! Surely someone is reading the buoy and ship reports? :huh:

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry I havent got back to you til now. Its been hectic cleaning up the yard... Had I known it was coming I wouldve had time to prepare. My Chamby Mac did not like the 105 mph winds (cat 2) that hit it. Although, I think she'll pull through. Sustained winds were 63 knots or 72 mph...just under a cat 1 hurricane.

Oh well onward and upward. We had particularly cold Feb with temperature about 2.5 F lower than norm. Hopefully, March is better.

Thanks again for your comments/concerns. Here is the link if you want to have a read.

http://www.bermudasun.org/main.asp?Search=...tionID=&S=1

Regards,

Michael Ferreira

150 year old Royal Poincian fell ...here is the link

http://www.bermudasun.org/main.asp?Search=...tionID=&S=1

Michael Ferreira

Michael, sorry to hear about the unexpected mayhem....hope your Chamby pulls through.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....