IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Living in The Florida Keys

epicure3

Actually, Key West already has a bunch of cruise ships stopping there. The route I am most familiar with is: Fort Lauderdale (departure), then Key West, then Cozumel, then Cancun --- or perhaps just stopping in Cozumel with another form of transport to Cancun.

There are other routes too. Apparently the cruise ship companies have found a way to integrate Key West into some of their Caribbean Cruises.

It's very touristy around the port area, Mallory Square and upper Duval Street. The rest of the island is not as uber-touristy. Obviously, the most charming parts are those which have the fewest tourists.

I lived right on the water front in Key West for 13 months -- courtesy of Uncle Sam -- 45 years ago, while serving my last tour of duty in the U.S. Navy. My ship was tied up right where the cruise ships tie up now. Even 45 years ago I thought Key West was too commercialized, but it must be more so now. But that being said, I enjoyed my 13 months there.

Mad about palms

I have a good friend that was born and raised in Islamorada. Spending time with her, her family and friends over the years I do believe that "island fever" really does exist. With that being said, I would move to that area of the Key's in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.

Ran the idea of moving to one of the lesser known Keys past my wife about a month ago....for retirement.....no resistance to the idea....hmm....guess to watch this seed grow will have to fertilize and water it with some vacations down there.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

While "Island Fever" exists in the Keys, it is easily alleviated with a few hours drive up to Florida mainland.

The real problem there is the "manana" attitude. There are a lot of pluses and minuses to this. Laid back, easy going attitude versus never getting projects done on time, missed appointments and so on. There are a lot of million dollar homes close to fisherman shacks too. Kind of identity crisis whether the Keys want to be a rich man's exclusive retreat or an "every-man's escape" from the rat race.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

It seems to vary from island to island down there. Some islands have almost no construction on them. Others have fancy homes or hotels. Others yet have those tiny "manufactured homes" (almost like a trailer) built row on row along canals, each with a small boat anchored to the micro-backyard beside a coconut tree. The latter areas were probably quite inexpensive in the 1970s, but have probably become expensive now based on ocean access.

There is also the problem in Key West of catching "Keys Disease." That is another name for alcoholism. I don't understand why so many people turn into alcoholics when they move to Key West, but it's apparently a big problem there, or so I am told.

It seems to vary from island to island down there. Some islands have almost no construction on them. Others have fancy homes or hotels. Others yet have those tiny "manufactured homes" (almost like a trailer) built row on row along canals, each with a small boat anchored to the micro-backyard beside a coconut tree. The latter areas were probably quite inexpensive in the 1970s, but have probably become expensive now based on ocean access.

There is also the problem in Key West of catching "Keys Disease." That is another name for alcoholism. I don't understand why so many people turn into alcoholics when they move to Key West, but it's apparently a big problem there, or so I am told.

I don't think Keys Disease is so much a matter of alchoholism as the "sufferer" just gets so laid back that people expecting a more aggressive attitude (including, perhaps, the sufferer) get pissed or worried.

http://lynncrawfordsays.blogspot.com/2012/02/keys-disease-defined.html

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.