IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nor cal frost report

NorCalWill

Santa Rosa, California...

A few nights throughout the months of December, January, and February as low as 26 degrees with a few heavy frosts and ice in standing water...

Butia capitata - fine

Chamaerops humilis - fine

Brahea armata - fine

Sabal minor - fine

Phoenix canariensis - fine

Phoenix dactylifera - fine

Livistonia mariae - fine

Washingtonia filifera - fine

Sabal bermudana - burnt beyond recognition (except the new spear)

Will,

That major burn on your Sabal is a real surprise. I bet it will be fine though. Mine's green but except for one 29F night here, we had no other freezing nights. How old/big is you S. bermudana?

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Hey Jim,

I planted the S. bermudana this past summer. It was a pretty overgrown 15 gallon that I got down in So. Cal.

I dug it up and put it back in the pot because I don't want to have to watch it recover all season only to get nailed again next year.

I'd like a Sabal, but not sure if there is another species that will be hardier.

My coldest night in Walnut Creek was back in Dec. when it got down to 27 F, my low, so far, for this winter. There was a series of cold nights from that front, and I had thin ice in my rain buckets for 3 days running. I'm noticing minor damage to some gingers, which I didn't have the previous winter with a low of 25.5 F., but it remained below freezing longer with the 27 F low this year. I had about 2 weeks of above normal temps in Jan, with highs up to 75F, but night time temps still falling into the low 30's with clear skys.

It's 46 F here this morning with rain showers. The low just off the coast, and San Francisco is still pumping pulses of moisture into the SF bay area.

Will, I would question if your Sabal is a bermudana, as it should take much colder temps than you have had.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hmm...

I wouldn't know if was a different species.

It was labeled as S. bermudana when I bought it this summer down at JD Andersens...

It had 3 large leaves, and they were all totally brown by mid January.