Sign in to follow this  
NorCalWill

Nor cal frost report

NorCalWill

Santa Rosa, California...

A few nights throughout the months of December, January, and February as low as 26 degrees with a few heavy frosts and ice in standing water...

Butia capitata - fine

Chamaerops humilis - fine

Brahea armata - fine

Sabal minor - fine

Phoenix canariensis - fine

Phoenix dactylifera - fine

Livistonia mariae - fine

Washingtonia filifera - fine

Sabal bermudana - burnt beyond recognition (except the new spear)

Jim in Los Altos

Will,

That major burn on your Sabal is a real surprise. I bet it will be fine though. Mine's green but except for one 29F night here, we had no other freezing nights. How old/big is you S. bermudana?

NorCalWill

Hey Jim,

I planted the S. bermudana this past summer. It was a pretty overgrown 15 gallon that I got down in So. Cal.

I dug it up and put it back in the pot because I don't want to have to watch it recover all season only to get nailed again next year.

I'd like a Sabal, but not sure if there is another species that will be hardier.

PalmGuyWC

My coldest night in Walnut Creek was back in Dec. when it got down to 27 F, my low, so far, for this winter. There was a series of cold nights from that front, and I had thin ice in my rain buckets for 3 days running. I'm noticing minor damage to some gingers, which I didn't have the previous winter with a low of 25.5 F., but it remained below freezing longer with the 27 F low this year. I had about 2 weeks of above normal temps in Jan, with highs up to 75F, but night time temps still falling into the low 30's with clear skys.

It's 46 F here this morning with rain showers. The low just off the coast, and San Francisco is still pumping pulses of moisture into the SF bay area.

Will, I would question if your Sabal is a bermudana, as it should take much colder temps than you have had.

Dick

NorCalWill

Hmm...

I wouldn't know if was a different species.

It was labeled as S. bermudana when I bought it this summer down at JD Andersens...

It had 3 large leaves, and they were all totally brown by mid January.