IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Days are getting longer!

Guest LeftCoastAngler

Yes and not a minute too soon.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

...and Leon is getting larger.

Sorry....couldn't resist a little Airplane movie quote.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Classic :)

I live for the longer days. I always feel a bit of a sag in my mood when we round the corner to shorter days and then set our clocks back :(

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Classic :)

I live for the longer days. I always feel a bit of a sag in my mood when we round the corner to shorter days and then set our clocks back :(

Clocks move forward in just a couple of weeks. Yea! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

More daylight has been obvious and deeply appreciated! But it always seems like a long time from March until July...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Amen to that Sun Finally moving back home to the northern hemisphere there is at least a positive note

chance of a freeze are going down pretty fast now :D

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Well actually where I am the days are starting to get shorter. But, since the difference from the longest day to the shortest day is about 30 minutes in length of sunlight time it really does not make much difference. I do know what it is like in higher latitudes though and it is mentally a change to notice. What I notice here is basically the angle of the shadows and also the shorter the days the hotter it gets as it rains less normally.

Just a little view from the equator.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I am loving it! Although we had a mild winter, we had a record setting snow event. It was nasty.

DSCN2721.jpg

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

I realized that the snow pictures were the last ones I took. So I went outside and snapped this one. Ahhh Much better.

DSCN2739.jpg

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

Southlatropical, Is that your Heliconias flowering AFTER snow????? If so, that's incredible.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I stuck those in the ground yesterday. I believe it is 'Red Christmas' heliconia although it was not labeled. My H. Rostrata and H. 'Orange Gyro' did survive with damage. It is a longshot they will boom this year. I was going to protect them with a temp greenhouse, but hurricane Gustav knocked down all of them and so I left them to burn this winter. Those Ti plants, R. Multifida, C. microspadix, pothos vine, and bromeliads were out in the snow. But it never got below 33F the day it snowed and it warmed up quickly after. The lowest temp we had this year at my house was 28F. I had a few surprise survivor plants this year, and some took damage that I did not expect.

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Isaac--

If your stems are good and they can still 'push' from the tops, you may get blooms on your H. rostrata. Your 'Orange Gyro' should bloom if it's in full sun whether it was cut to the ground or not. I put a small specimen of 'Orange Gyro' in the ground last spring in punishing full sun and it bloomed within four months, and became a clump 6' high by 6' wide. Incredible. But don't expect that in much if any shade...it will struggle, that was my experience with a specimen in half-shade that has barely held on and never bloomed. Almost all Heliconias in our neck of the woods require full sun. (H. angusta 'Red Xmas,' which is indeed what you have in your photo, is a major exception to that rule.)

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Isaac--

If your stems are good and they can still 'push' from the tops, you may get blooms on your H. rostrata. Your 'Orange Gyro' should bloom if it's in full sun whether it was cut to the ground or not. I put a small specimen of 'Orange Gyro' in the ground last spring in punishing full sun and it bloomed within four months, and became a clump 6' high by 6' wide. Incredible. But don't expect that in much if any shade...it will struggle, that was my experience with a specimen in half-shade that has barely held on and never bloomed. Almost all Heliconias in our neck of the woods require full sun. (H. angusta 'Red Xmas,' which is indeed what you have in your photo, is a major exception to that rule.)

Funny you should mention that. A couple days ago I moved the Orange Gyro to a full sun spot between two Philo Selloum. That way, when they burn in winter they will be hidden by the philo. The stems are still alive. The Rostrata actually has some leaves still intact and I'm hoping they will bloom this year. They are in part shade. The Red Christmas is planted in a shady spot with a few hours of direct sun. Looks like I lucked up and planted them in good spots. I was moving stuff to make room for an Encephalartos natalensis that is on the way from Cycads-n-Palms.

By the way I talked on the phone with Mike from Natrures Own (guy with the mule palms). I am supposed to go see his place sometime soon.

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Funny, I thought days were always 24 hours long :huh: ........

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

24 hour days, sheesh Bill. What planet do you live on?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

And Leon is still getting larger.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Clocks move forward in just a couple of weeks. Yea! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am counting down the days! Yes, I can feel the lengthening of the daylight hours - this weekend held the promise of summer, it was wonderful!

(and BS, you are almost correct, all days are 24 hours - except Mondays, which I think are longer!!)

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I live for the change to Daylight Savings Time. That is when life begins.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

2 more weeks and we spring forward.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I just took notice recently when my landscaping lighting came on in the daylight. Yay! :D

Bren in South St. Pete Florida