Jump to content
kylecawazafla

Sabal causiarum x palmetto

Recommended Posts

buffy

Speak of the devil.... an inflorescence.

IMG_20190418_182302519.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

Awesome news!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
On 3/30/2019 at 7:10 PM, buffy said:

I had it pot constrained in a 3 gallon until I planted it out 5 years ago. I don't know if I've ever seen this speed of growth in a Sabal. This planter had a bunch of green sand. Maybe that helps. Hybrid vigor?

For the novice here.... what the heck is "green sand" ? 

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
On 3/30/2019 at 7:10 PM, buffy said:

I had it pot constrained in a 3 gallon until I planted it out 5 years ago. I don't know if I've ever seen this speed of growth in a Sabal. This planter had a bunch of green sand. Maybe that helps. Hybrid vigor?

Posted twice , no idea why

Edited by RJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

From Wiki: The green colour of greensand is due to variable amounts of the mineral glauconite, an iron potassium silicate with very low weathering resistance; as a result, greensand tends to be weak and friable. It is a common ingredient as a source of potassium in organicgardening and farming fertilisers

So basically, iron and potassium, plus a few other minor minerals. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
3 hours ago, buffy said:

From Wiki: The green colour of greensand is due to variable amounts of the mineral glauconite, an iron potassium silicate with very low weathering resistance; as a result, greensand tends to be weak and friable. It is a common ingredient as a source of potassium in organicgardening and farming fertilisers

So basically, iron and potassium, plus a few other minor minerals. 

Thank you sir. So the entire planter is solely green sand for X amount of feet until you hit native soil, or is it self contained like a giant pot. If it't the latter how is drainage realized? 

As I want to do something next out our house/pool build I'm curious as to how embedded planters next to a pool are designed. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Native clay soil is about three feet down.  Above that green sand and mulch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr

Big beautiful Sabal that brushes off 8F seems like a winner whatever it ends up being

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, buffy said:

Speak of the devil.... an inflorescence.

IMG_20190418_182302519.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

This is a beast. Aidan is just short of 5 feet.

IMG_20190603_181643047.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
2 hours ago, buffy said:

This is a beast. Aidan is just short of 5 feet.

IMG_20190603_181643047.jpg

Holy Moly what a specimen you have going here :greenthumb:

Must be the perfect spot with just the right amount of care what an awesome palm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sonoranfans

clay 3' beneath green sand seems like a great soil for a deep rooted sabal.  These "hybrids" look way too heavy in the petiole for palmetto, yet the crowns are notably more dense than causiarum and the trunks are about 1/2 the thickness.  A young causiarum with a few feet of clear trunk has a massive trunk thickness, mine is 40" in diameter without the boots.  Its the fastest sabal I ever saw, 20' + overall coming from a strap leaf seedling in spring 2011  If you need extra cold hardiness it seems like a good hybrid.  I don't need it and would rather have my thick trunked causiarum.  My causiarum flowers well before the local palmettos, not sure how that would be effected by a colder climate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy
1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

clay 3' beneath green sand seems like a great soil for a deep rooted sabal.  These "hybrids" look way too heavy in the petiole for palmetto, yet the crowns are notably more dense than causiarum and the trunks are about 1/2 the thickness.  A young causiarum with a few feet of clear trunk has a massive trunk thickness, mine is 40" in diameter without the boots.  Its the fastest sabal I ever saw, 20' + overall coming from a strap leaf seedling in spring 2011  If you need extra cold hardiness it seems like a good hybrid.  I don't need it and would rather have my thick trunked causiarum.  My causiarum flowers well before the local palmettos, not sure how that would be effected by a colder climate.

Very good summation. I'd much prefer a causiarum, but it gets smacked down enough here with the cold that you end up with a dud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Finally put the tape to this crown. 21' across in full bright sun. Love this thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
1 hour ago, buffy said:

Finally put the tape to this crown. 21' across in full bright sun. Love this thing.  

Maybe its time to give these hybrids there own name Sabal Gainesville maybe =) Super cold hardy Causiarum with hybrid vigor :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmsrgreat
On 8/10/2019 at 8:00 PM, buffy said:

Finally put the tape to this crown. 21' across in full bright sun. Love this thing.  

@buffy

Any photo updates on this hybrid? Setting seed this year?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

I'll try to remember to take one. By the way, I call this thing Sabal 'Megatron'. Last year's seeds are coming up. 

megatron.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
1 hour ago, buffy said:

Sabal 'Megatron

I like it =) Any current pics of it ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kylecawazafla

So exciting! I hope more of these beautiful palms are planted! Nice name choice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Starting to trunk.

20200824_171231.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
4 minutes ago, buffy said:

Starting to trunk.

That is a beast !!! Thanks for the  update =) 

T J 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
awkonradi

Magnificent 8a palm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Just for scale, that's a 6' square planter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
2 hours ago, buffy said:

Just for scale, that's a 6' square planter.

I love it :drool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sonoranfans

21' wide crown is wide for a palmetto in sun, there is one near that behind my house in shade and its stretched and thinner of crown, not like this palm.  What I dont see from causiarum genes is the super thick petiole and trunk, those look more palmetto as does the very large number of leaves in the crown.  Causiarum is a more sparse crown than other sabals with super thick petioles.  Could be a great 8a palm, time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution

@buffy are those seeds coming up from "megatron"? haha If so... id sure be interested in one :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

@buffy are those seeds coming up from "megatron"? haha If so... id sure be interested in one :)

You might want to try 3 or 4 if you're interested in another "megatron".  F2 seedlings could end up looking just like palmetto.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy
8 hours ago, Fusca said:

You might want to try 3 or 4 if you're interested in another "megatron".  F2 seedlings could end up looking just like palmetto.

I believe these seedling are technically an F3. The original is in Gainesville. Megatron is an F2. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
3 hours ago, buffy said:

I believe these seedling are technically an F3. The original is in Gainesville. Megatron is an F2. 

Nice!  Did you have several F2 seedlings and just planted the "best" one?  I'm guessing that Megatron grew the fastest showing the hybrid vigor while some others did not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Yep. I have a double in the woods that's not growing like this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...