kylecawazafla

Sabal causiarum x palmetto

buffy

Speak of the devil.... an inflorescence.

IMG_20190418_182302519.jpg

• Like 2

kinzyjr

Awesome news!

RJ
On 3/30/2019 at 7:10 PM, buffy said:

I had it pot constrained in a 3 gallon until I planted it out 5 years ago. I don't know if I've ever seen this speed of growth in a Sabal. This planter had a bunch of green sand. Maybe that helps. Hybrid vigor?

For the novice here.... what the heck is "green sand" ? 

TIA

RJ
On 3/30/2019 at 7:10 PM, buffy said:

I had it pot constrained in a 3 gallon until I planted it out 5 years ago. I don't know if I've ever seen this speed of growth in a Sabal. This planter had a bunch of green sand. Maybe that helps. Hybrid vigor?

Posted twice , no idea why

Edited by RJ

buffy

From Wiki: The green colour of greensand is due to variable amounts of the mineral glauconite, an iron potassium silicate with very low weathering resistance; as a result, greensand tends to be weak and friable. It is a common ingredient as a source of potassium in organicgardening and farming fertilisers

So basically, iron and potassium, plus a few other minor minerals. 

• Upvote 2

RJ
3 hours ago, buffy said:

From Wiki: The green colour of greensand is due to variable amounts of the mineral glauconite, an iron potassium silicate with very low weathering resistance; as a result, greensand tends to be weak and friable. It is a common ingredient as a source of potassium in organicgardening and farming fertilisers

So basically, iron and potassium, plus a few other minor minerals. 

Thank you sir. So the entire planter is solely green sand for X amount of feet until you hit native soil, or is it self contained like a giant pot. If it't the latter how is drainage realized? 

As I want to do something next out our house/pool build I'm curious as to how embedded planters next to a pool are designed. 

buffy

Native clay soil is about three feet down.  Above that green sand and mulch.

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Big beautiful Sabal that brushes off 8F seems like a winner whatever it ends up being

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, buffy said:

Speak of the devil.... an inflorescence.

IMG_20190418_182302519.jpg

buffy

This is a beast. Aidan is just short of 5 feet.

IMG_20190603_181643047.jpg

• Like 2

OC2Texaspalmlvr
2 hours ago, buffy said:

This is a beast. Aidan is just short of 5 feet.

IMG_20190603_181643047.jpg

Holy Moly what a specimen you have going here :greenthumb:

Must be the perfect spot with just the right amount of care what an awesome palm 

sonoranfans

clay 3' beneath green sand seems like a great soil for a deep rooted sabal.  These "hybrids" look way too heavy in the petiole for palmetto, yet the crowns are notably more dense than causiarum and the trunks are about 1/2 the thickness.  A young causiarum with a few feet of clear trunk has a massive trunk thickness, mine is 40" in diameter without the boots.  Its the fastest sabal I ever saw, 20' + overall coming from a strap leaf seedling in spring 2011  If you need extra cold hardiness it seems like a good hybrid.  I don't need it and would rather have my thick trunked causiarum.  My causiarum flowers well before the local palmettos, not sure how that would be effected by a colder climate.

buffy
1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

clay 3' beneath green sand seems like a great soil for a deep rooted sabal.  These "hybrids" look way too heavy in the petiole for palmetto, yet the crowns are notably more dense than causiarum and the trunks are about 1/2 the thickness.  A young causiarum with a few feet of clear trunk has a massive trunk thickness, mine is 40" in diameter without the boots.  Its the fastest sabal I ever saw, 20' + overall coming from a strap leaf seedling in spring 2011  If you need extra cold hardiness it seems like a good hybrid.  I don't need it and would rather have my thick trunked causiarum.  My causiarum flowers well before the local palmettos, not sure how that would be effected by a colder climate.

Very good summation. I'd much prefer a causiarum, but it gets smacked down enough here with the cold that you end up with a dud.