IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

American Orchid Society Garden to Close!

palmislandRandy

The American Orchid Society Garden is closing to the public as of the end of May. They cite declining memberships and endowments hit b the financial crisis. Apparently they will still open to the public a few times a year for special occasions. I stop by when I pass by. It's 3.5 acres in west Delray Beach, Florida, next to the Morikami (Japaneese Garden). They have a few palms mixed with tropicals & a huge greenhouse with thousands of orchids and tropicals. What a shame :rage: They may open in the future. I took these last time I was there. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news...0,5282325.story Chamberonya in full inland sun

post-1035-1234574981_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Place was built in 2001

post-1035-1234575171_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hyphaene

post-1035-1234575361_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the jumbo photos

post-1035-1234575479_thumb.jpg

Some misc photos

post-1035-1234575543_thumb.jpg

Nice Satakentias :mrlooney: & greenhouse.

post-1035-1234575704_thumb.jpg

Entrance to the garden is a little more formal. They used this for weddings & festivals.

post-1035-1234575841_thumb.jpg

Greenhouse path

post-1035-1234575987_thumb.jpg

In greenhouse

post-1035-1234576297_thumb.jpg

Very cool tree :mrlooney: What is it?

post-1035-1234576404_thumb.jpg

Of course, thousands of orchids everywhere!

post-1035-1234576625_thumb.jpg

Orchids from mars :drool:

post-1035-1234576829_thumb.jpg

Poyple!

post-1035-1234576922_thumb.jpg

Yeah, they got tons of orchids

post-1035-1234577137_thumb.jpg

Bromiliads overhead in the greenhouse.

post-1035-1234577274_thumb.jpg

Lots of orchids

post-1035-1234577693_thumb.jpg

Back outside with a Satakentia :drool:

post-1035-1234577884_thumb.jpg

I hope I left enough room for mine! Sweet palm!

post-1035-1234578019_thumb.jpg

I'll miss this place

post-1035-1234578351_thumb.jpg

The palms are not rare, but there is a nice "touristy" variety, all nicely grown in a tropical garden setting.

post-1035-1234578478_thumb.jpg

That it for now. I gotta go a few more times before they close. :crying: If your in South Florida, it's worth a visit & the Morikami next door!

post-1035-1234579083_thumb.jpg

Randy,

Thats too bad. But times are bad for everyone and everything. I never made a visit there, but I used to do the palm sales next door when they had them at the park.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

One More..Chambeyronia triple. Lotsa leaves :)

Jeff, It's still open till the spring. The greenhouse is worth a visit.

post-1035-1234618888_thumb.jpg

Jeff!

Go to visit that garden!

Put on some red shoes and tell them you're me . . . .

And take lots of pictures.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I found these from a previous visit.

Chameadorea benzii

post-1035-1234754592_thumb.jpg

A little color besides orchids!

post-1035-1234755548_thumb.jpg

Fat Sargentii :D

post-1035-1234756150_thumb.jpg

The garden looks fabulous. I hope that I might see it someday when it returns to full operation.

And oh by the way, for many who are bemoaning its fate. When was the last time you made a monetary contribution to your favorite public garden, or any garden for that matter? Do not take them for granted.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

What I don't understand is, why close to the public? No income from the entry fees or the gift shop! The two old ladies that run the entrance/gift shop are volunteers. The garden will still exist, and it has to be maintained, so why lock the paying public? Besides they just opened an new expanded section. :angry:

post-1035-1234758294_thumb.jpg

Some local talent slithers away......

post-1035-1234758698_thumb.jpg

Wow, I didn't even know this place existed. I may have to make a trip down before it closes its doors.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Wow, I didn't even know this place existed. I may have to make a trip down before it closes its doors.

While there, you have to check out the Morakami Japanese Botanical Gardens next door! http://www.morikami.org/ Worth the trip! :D

How sad. I too, regret that I have never visited this garden, or supported it's sales/classes/or dontations.

I have no one to blame but myself.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

It's unfortunate that this young but very impressive garden will close. The Florida native section is relatively quiet but very elegantly designed--kind of a rest from visual overload in other areas.

I don't know that I'd advise southern Californians to fly in before closing time (after all, they've got Huntington and Rancho Santa Ana).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

It will be sad indeed. It will remain open to its members. I am a member of the local orchid society and was saddened to hear the news. Our Mounts Garden is also being threatened by budget cuts. They've cut out the secuirty guard and now someone from each society has to be there at 5PM to keep the room open until 7 when the meeting starts. It is a real pain.

Donate to your local garden. Visit your local garden. Volunteer. Attend a workshop, even if you think you know everything. You can always learn something new. If we don't do these things, more closings will happen.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I stop by every couple of weeks to check out their plant sale table. They always have non orchid $5.00 + $15.00 stuff from their greenhouse on "bargain table". Gonna miss it. :crying: I'll stop by this week & take more photos.

I just stopped by there and spoke to one of the volunteers that work in the entry/giftshop. She says the decision was made by the Board Of Directors. After speaking to the volunteer (who will remain nameless), even she doesn't know why their closing to the public. Today she said they had 80+ visitors @ $10.00 ea., although some might be non paying members. Thats +/- $800.00 plus the gift shop take, before 2:00 pm! There is only one paid staff member up front, the rest volunteers. Oh yeah, she said they also cancelled the weddings and other paid events ($$$)! So why the decision to close?? The garden will be maintained and only open a couple of times a year for a special occasion. So when they said it's the economy, who knows? I guess they don't need the money or those pesky tourists asking questions & buying stuff! Anyone really know why?? :blink:

post-1035-1235159736_thumb.jpg