IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 11th Annual Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- March 6th, 7th & 8th 2009: Friday, Saturday, & Sunday -●●- W. Broward County, Florida

Palmarum

The cold has come and gone, (hopefully) and its time to get busy planting again...

post-24-1234548547_thumb.jpgpost-24-1234548576_thumb.jpgpost-24-1234548611_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection® presents...

The 11th Annual Spring Weekend Plant Extravaganza!

Many of us in Florida will remember this winter for a long time, I know I certainly will. For what seemed to be one day of barely tolerable cold was replaced the following day with an even worse brunt of colder weather. I know the extremes experienced here were surpassed by those further up the coast, it is a common trend for tropical plant enthusiasts to bond together in times of difficulty. Speaking on behalf of myself and many others, I know the 'itch' has come again to shake off the cold and to put shovel to earth once more...

With the coming of spring comes the plant sales, and Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. is continuing the tradition of opening our gates to the masses to bring this very popular plant event to the public. Last year, we celebrated the 10th Anniversaries of our Spring and Fall Extravaganzas with friends, family and the best plant fanatics this world has to offer. The friends and family that come from far and wide to volunteer and to spend time together has become one of the hallmarks of the Extravaganza history. The plant selection this spring will rival those assortments seen at previous events. Jeff Searle has started working on the extensive selection of palms that will be pulled from The Rainforest Collection to tantalize even the most die-hard palm collector. The entire diversity of plants, from the common landscape shrub to the exotic collectible, that will be for sale among the aisles will not be limited to the noted selections. It has become a popular Extravaganza attraction that botanical oddities, some representing far away locales and forgotten plant families, have appeared for purchase. Some of these oddities include species of ultra-high rarity, incredible beauty and are offered no where else in cultivation. While attending the Extravaganza this spring, feel free to inquire about any plant or species you might be looking for. Some of these items might not have been pulled for sale, but would be available for purchase. Many of our customers who have been to our event have found that one extra gem to bring home to their own slice of botanical heaven.

The Extravaganzas have become a great way for IPS Members and Palmtalk Forum Members to meet and greet in the South Florida area. We always have had plenty of topics to talk about; I can only imagine what we will be discussing in a few weeks from now. They have always been as much social events as plant sales. Now, time for the important stuff...

South Florida Location:

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.

6640 SW 172nd Avenue

Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331

Western Broward County

see map below...

Schedule:

Friday, March 6th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Saturday, March 7th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Sunday, March 8th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Our famous Free BBQ Lunch: Saturday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM - Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM

Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681

Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750

Nursery Website: www.rainforestcollection.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com PM: Private Message Jeff through Palmtalk

Ryan Email: rdgpalm@bellsouth.net PM: Private Message Ryan through Palmtalk

post-24-1234548762_thumb.jpgpost-24-1234548772_thumb.jpgpost-24-1234548750_thumb.jpg

- This is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery [Palm tree symbol]. Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. Take note that Griffin Road is under construction at the moment so Sheridan Street might provide a faster route. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or myself. When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines, as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance.

scan0004.jpg

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:

For plant availability, a copy of the ever-growing species list and other information regarding which plants will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process will start soon and will continue right up into the last day before the Extravaganza. (sometimes even on Friday morning if the need strikes.) Special selections might be pulled for sale with recommendations, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species and varieties that will be available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale which I would be able to post for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email if you would like photos of specific plants. Please do not ask for photos of 'everything', I have gotten many requests like that before and it’s a bit hard to do. Sale booklets will be made available at the Extravaganza; they will include the list of palm species for sale. They will be located at the entrances to the main shade house. As soon as I have a basic list of palm species for sale, I will be able to email it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

post-24-1234549846_thumb.jpgpost-24-1234549858_thumb.jpgpost-24-1234549872_thumb.jpg

Selected Plant Groups:

Palms: What we all go crazy for, from common to ultra rare, including over 250 Species, with the actual number being closer to 300, and the volume will span over 400 Container Size Groups...

Aroids:

Agaves: Dependable landscape varieties...

Bamboo:

Bromeliads: A huge selection of full-sun and shade landscape varieties and collectible cultivars...

Cycads:

Crotons:

Cordylines:

Heliconias, Gingers and other colorful members of the Zingiberales order...

Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees:

Landscape Ornamentals: Proven landscape material for South Florida, including replacement choices for ill-fated Ficus hedges...

Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:

and many more: There is always a chance a new species of palm or plant will make its way to the sales area.

- The sale flyer. We mailed out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list starting the end of this week and continuing into next week. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to me with your address.

scan-1.jpg

Plant Carts:

We do provide a limited amount of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. They go quickly in the morning as soon as the gates open.

- The 10th Annual Fall Plant Extravaganza was a great time for all of us this past October. The clouds opened up a few times during the weekend but it didn't deter the plant hungry as they showed up with umbrellas in hand. To see more photos taken during the event, follow the link below:

10th Annual Fall Plant Extravaganza

RDG2008-10-04_12-28-23.jpg

- The main shade house is the prime hub of activity for those looking for rare and unusual plant species, getting information about their new favorites, or just wanting to socialize with fellow plant fanatics.

RDG2008-10-04_13-37-42.jpg

There is a very nice hotel within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers and volunteers in the past who travel a long way to reach the Extravaganza and who require a place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines

If you need any information I have not included here, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. I will be posting an additional topic about the sale as the event unfolds on the first day of the Extravaganza. Jeff and I look forward to meeting new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at each and every event. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other members at the Extravaganza as well. We have had welcomed surprise visits from members all over the country. The entire Searle family and our loads of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant. We hope to see you there. :D

post-24-1234549439_thumb.jpgpost-24-1234549370_thumb.jpgpost-24-1234549356_thumb.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Jeff,

Very nice photos. I am sure this will be a successful event with all the great plants you have for sale. Rare plants, discounts, lots of friends and food. Those bromeliads and Heliconias are very cool as well. Do you need any palm experts to come and help with the sale? Maybe I could hop on a plane and join you. Have fun!

Phil

clipart%20palm%20tree.JPG

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I'll be there. :drool:

Tom

So will we!!

Already looking forward to it - and this time, I've cleared out a new garden area in back to plant out the treasures we'll be bringing home. I'm making my list, checking it twice...... :drool:

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I reserved our hotel room a week ago. This time we'll bring a trailer. And I hope to meet more Palmtalkers.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I'll be there at the opening bell. :D List?

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

palmisland Posted Yesterday, 09:37 PM

I'll be there at the opening bell. List?

Hey Randy, the pulling of palms was started a short while ago, so the list will probably be done about a week before the Friday of the sale. Give or take a few days. I will post when it is ready to be emailed out.

SunnyFl Posted Yesterday, 06:18 PM

...and this time, I've cleared out a new garden area in back to plant out the treasures we'll be bringing home...

That is great, SunnyFl as it is always a good feeling to start a new bed or planted area. I know it will be nice as you always pick the best stuff to add to your collection.

Ryan

South Florida

Jeff....

seems you always have the sale on a date where i have a gig booked on the day right in the middle of it....now i gotta wait til October. :(

i WILL fly out there for one of your sales eventually.

Jeff,

You have some seriously awesome palms and tropicals! Your plants are just fantastic looking.

My brother and his wife have been to your sales several times and rave about your palms (I get to see some of them when I visit)!

Freinds of mine have also been and enjoyed.

Were I to still be living in FL, I would be there too, w/ cash in hand!

I should plan a trip back to FL, to see family, during one of your sales, so I can see it for myself.

Of course, I may end up driving back w/ a truck load of stuff! :rolleyes:

Best of luck w/ the sale!

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Jeff,

Very nice photos. I am sure this will be a successful event with all the great plants you have for sale. Rare plants, discounts, lots of friends and food. Those bromeliads and Heliconias are very cool as well. Do you need any palm experts to come and help with the sale? Maybe I could hop on a plane and join you. Have fun!

Phil

clipart%20palm%20tree.JPG

Hi Phil,

Thank-you, I just hope with the way the economy is, that someone shows up. And as always, give many thanks to Ryan, (Palmarum) for all of the great pictures he takes and the text to go along with it.

As much as I love the heliconias, their not for everyone. They can be high maintance, especially in the hotter months. But the cut flowers used in a vase in the house makes it all worth it. And the bromeliads have become the second largest plant group at the sales. My brother Larry, actually thinks someday they'll surpass the palms in sales at one of these sales. Over my dead body!! :)

And thanks to all the others that plan on coming out, times are tough these days, so we'll appreciate you coming by. And I mean this.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ill do my best to prevent this. Any chance of getting a list of licaulas you will have?

\ And the bromeliads have become the second largest plant group at the sales. My brother Larry, actually thinks someday they'll surpass the palms in sales at one of these sales. Over my dead body!! :)

And thanks to all the others that plan on coming out, times are tough these days, so we'll appreciate you coming by. And I mean this.

Jeff

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

I'm wearing my cross country track shoes this time. No little old lady is gonna beat me at snatching that __________________ (fill in the blank) this time. Throwing elbows to the chops is fair game at this sale!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Glad my broadcast convention is in April...I'll be there with Greg & company.

BTW Rick...we have you outnumbered

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

I am going to make it down for one of these sales some day!

Good luck with the event Jeff!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Glad my broadcast convention is in April...I'll be there with Greg & company.

BTW Rick...we have you outnumbered

I may have to show up just to act as referee....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm wearing my cross country track shoes this time. No little old lady is gonna beat me at snatching that __________________ (fill in the blank) this time.

Hey, who you callin' an old lady??!! :lol::lol::lol:

Jeff said:

And the bromeliads have become the second largest plant group at the sales. My brother Larry, actually thinks someday they'll surpass the palms

Nah, it's all about the palms (and a few crotons.... and cordies.... and........ )

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I'm gonna fly out there, eat a hot dog, and spit up some on Jeff. Then leave without buying anything. I will bring that $2.68 I owe you though. :innocent:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

A bit of a preview of what is to come at the Extravaganza two weeks from now. A few are requests, but most of the photos feature a mixed group of popular rare palms worth a closer look. Plants are still being pulled so the amount of size groups to be represented at the sale will more than likely change.

- One of my personal favorites from my favorite genus, Licuala peltata var. sumawongii has become one of the key palms of any budding Licuala palm collection in South Florida and places beyond. This 10 gal. individual is priced at $250.00 and there will be other sizes.

RDG2009-02-19_14-40-13.jpg

- A rare palm in cultivation, this Golden Christmas Palm, Adonidia merrillii var. 'Golden Form' has been victim to a bad reputation because of its unique coloration. Collectors see the yellow color and seem to think 'lethal yellowing' when they see it is a Christmas Palm, this diagnosis could not be any further from the truth. In addition to the golden yellow crownshaft and petioles, this variety produces newly emergent fronds in a dazzling bright yellow hue. This rare oddity definitely needs a second look. $100.00 (10 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_14-42-09.jpg

- If you already have J. altifrons and J. magnifica in your Joey collection, you will have an opportunity to add a third species, Johannesteijsmannia perakensis, this spring. $45.00 (1 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_14-43-32.jpg

- I was thinking of Tom's request for Licuala photos, so I captured a few that were already pulled including this Licuala paludosa. $175.00 (10 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_14-52-54.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- I remember when this species first came around years ago and it drove collectors crazy at auctions and members day sales. Today, Kentiopsis oliviformis is a popular sight in many palm collections. $175.00 (10 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_14-53-59.jpg

- Arenga brevipes was unheard of in S. Florida cultivation a half decade ago. Occasionally, a small individual would surface only to compete in a palm show or to woo the crowd with an impressive price tag. As a juvenile, this species has the largest leaflets of any Arenga species that I have seen and they made me an instant fan as soon as I saw one plant the first time. A well-timed batch of seed pulled this species from obscurity a few years ago and has now made this Arenga available in limited quantities. $150.00 (10 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_14-57-45.jpg

- One of, if not the largest species of Dypsis, Dypsis canaliculata. $150.00 (7 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_14-59-45.jpg

- A ready-to-go forest of Chamaedorea stolonifera. $100.00 (7 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_15-06-27.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The Champagne Palm, Hyophorbe indica is a rarer cousin to the Bottle and Spindle Palms. They require shade to look their best until they get large enough to produce emergent trunk.

RDG2009-02-19_15-10-42.jpg

- They have a distinctive shape and color combination that appears on the young crownshaft. $125.00 (10 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_15-10-58.jpg

- When this Licuala lauterbachii was pulled for sale, we noticed that it and the fellow members of its group were in different stages of flowering like crazy at such a small size. $225.00 (10 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_15-13-03.jpg

- I reemphasize 'crazy'.

RDG2009-02-19_15-14-08.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- This palm's relative slow growth doesn't detract from its unwavering popularity with New Caledonian palm collectors. Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. "Houailou" has been that 'hard to find' unique variety for years. It has a bluish tinge to the leaflets and the leaflets themselves are slightly thicker and stiffer than the species.

RDG2009-02-19_15-15-14.jpg

- I took a closer look at previous sale lists and it has been a number of years since Jeff has had one for sale. This specimen has a large leaf spear that is emerging and veering to the right of the photo. It looks as if it will be significantly larger that the next to newest leaf towards the left, which will be no doubt a pleasant surprise. $275.00 (7 gal.) That Beccariophoenix was blocking the light so it volunteered to lay down for a short while.

RDG2009-02-19_15-16-06.jpg

- A favorite of many who visited Costa Rica almost a year ago for the Biennial, Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana. $85.00 (7 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_15-17-16.jpg

- As its name would suggest, Dypsis rivularis does very well when planted along a water feature. It develops the characteristic dark pink color on the lower crownshaft from an early age. $35.00 (3 gal.)

RDG2009-02-19_15-19-03.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- This group of preview photos is ending on a good note. Hyospathe elegans is making its debut as a new species this year at the Extravaganza. Their growth rate have been surprisingly fast and they have reached this size from a small gallon in only a year.

RDG2009-02-19_15-59-30.jpg

- The genus is closely related to Geonoma. $45.00 (3 gal.) I will get more photos online after the rest of the plants have been pulled. Continue to send requests, more the merrier, even if you just want to enjoy some eye candy.

RDG2009-02-19_16-00-26.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

cant wait to see all the great stuff Jeff always has!!! can't find palms like these anywhere else! and cant forget about all the other cool items besides palms, like heliconias, bromeliads, and of course crotons!

:drool:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Florida Palm Guys,

I hope all of you support Jeff's nursery with this fantastic sale. You can see he has great plant material and you'll see a lot of the Palm Talk people there. I think there might even be a few surprise appearances. And a free dog? What else could you want?

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Hey Ryan I look forward to coming to the sale this year. Do you have picks/list of any Coccothrinax, Pseudophoenix, Copernicia, Colpothrinax or Calyptronoma that will be offered at the sale? A list only with size/price is fine if you don't have pics.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Jeff/Ryan

I hope that the sale is a big success. Sorry that I will miss it, but I am marking my calendar for the fall sale.

Since the opening up of the For Sale section I tend to miss these announcements. Wish they were still in the general discussion area where I think exposure would be greater. I would find a legal way to put a tease there with a link back to the For Sale section. I would probably get warned by the moderator but I think it can be done.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Jeff/Ryan

I hope that the sale is a big success. Sorry that I will miss it, but I am marking my calendar for the fall sale.

Since the opening up of the For Sale section I tend to miss these announcements. Wish they were still in the general discussion area where I think exposure would be greater. I would find a legal way to put a tease there with a link back to the For Sale section. I would probably get warned by the moderator but I think it can be done.

Robert

Robert, just start clicking the "view new posts" at the top of the page when logged in, then you will see a list of ALL the new stuff since you last viewed. Skip the ones with no interest.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

RainForestt Robert Posted Today, 06:58 AM

...Since the opening up of the For Sale section I tend to miss these announcements. Wish they were still in the general discussion area where I think exposure would be greater. I would find a legal way to put a tease there with a link back to the For Sale section. I would probably get warned by the moderator but I think it can be done...

It would have been great for many Palmtalk members including myself to had been able to greet you at the Spring Extravaganza, Robert. I always consider it a possibility that you could walk in through the gates again at any time and surprise everyone. I explored all options in regards to getting an announcement posted beforehand in the General Discussion area, but there isn't a way without bending the rules to far. The only thing I can do is start a regular topic in the GD area about the Extravaganza the night of the first day. That way it isn't seen as an advertisement, which is fine as I just wanted a place to post photos.

Ryan

South Florida

The majority of the palms have been pulled for the Extravaganza and I have the draft list in my hands. As I am entering the list into the database, I am going to post a few of the latest requests I photographed today. As soon as I am done with the list, I shall post a notice and will email it to everyone who had notified me earlier. :D

- This is one of the requests via email, Dypsis nauseosa which is available in two sizes. This is the lone seven gallon plant, priced at $150.00...

RDG2009-02-26_14-53-06.jpg

- ...which has a very stout crownshaft and thick petioles. Plants of this size start to develop white striated markings along the length of the petiole. This individual has only faint markings at the moment. This is a close relative to D. ovobontsira, and Dark Mealybug Palm or not, the white markings resemble a mirrored appearance of the dark ones seen on the D. ovobontsira plants we have grown here in S. Florida.

RDG2009-02-26_14-53-37.jpg

- For those who need less instant gratification, we have a three gallon specimen that is more than ready for the ground or a bigger pot. $45.00

RDG2009-02-26_14-56-58.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The release of Genera Palmarum II had finalized the name change on the next photo request. This is now Allagoptera caudescens formally known as a member of the now retired genus Polyandrococos. Amazing to see yet another genus go the way of the dodo. The species was originally in Allagoptera when it was named in 1891, but was taken out in 1901. (10 gal.) $100.00

RDG2009-02-26_15-01-39.jpg

- The favorite collector size. (3 gal.) $35.00

RDG2009-02-26_15-11-17.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Kentiopsis magnifica, the original conversation starter, (7 gal.) $400.00

RDG2009-02-26_15-30-24.jpg

- Same palm, from the opposite side. A palm mugshot.

RDG2009-02-26_15-30-42.jpg

- Burretiokentia vieillardii, (10 gal.) $150.00. There is also a large 3 gallon along the sidewalk somewhere in amongst the forest, but I was unable to locate it at the time, it is $75.00.

RDG2009-02-26_15-31-52.jpg

- This one is quickly developing the admirable crownshaft coloration and pattern that this species is so popular for displaying.

RDG2009-02-26_15-32-17.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Latania verschaffeltii, the Yellow Latan Palm, (10 gal.) $100.00. It is ready to get placed in the sales area, along with its full sun brethren sharing the trailer.

RDG2009-02-26_15-40-32.jpg

- After all these years of watching this species spread through cultivation, the bright yellow color still grabs my attention.

RDG2009-02-26_15-40-39.jpg

- Beccariophoenix alfredii, one of the newer and sought-after Madagascar palms, (15 gal.) $150.00

RDG2009-02-26_15-42-20.jpg

- The coloration on the emergent petiole is an unique way to identify this species. I enjoy watching the one in my collection grow larger and shaking off the 34ºF cold temperatures like they were nothing.

RDG2009-02-26_15-43-01.jpg

I have more to post tomorrow, along with the sale list notification.

Ryan

South Florida

Whew! Too many photos to peruse at this late hour. The Chamaedorea stolonifera looks great. I planted a tiny one (from Leu Gardens) a couple of years ago, and it's already spreading.

I ought to show up Friday, probably a package trip including Ikea at Sunrise, Morikami, and Orchid Society.

My yard is near its palm capacity right now; also, there's been disease problems during the past year, including bud rot and butt rot in Dypsis and something that damages the leaves of Rhapis excelsa. . On the other hand, things currently in pots include:

Encephalartos gratus (seems a ridiculously undemanding potted plant. Gotta find space).

Dioon merolae babies. Cute.

Coccothrinax miraguama (I shoulda bought a bigger one. What a pretty species!)

C. spissa. You can't have too many Coccothrinax, can you?

Myrcianthes fragrans. Simpson stopper, a cutting that hadn't made the grade as a cultivar, but has neat small leaves anyway.

Zanthoxylum fagara. Wild lime ("colima" in Tex and Mex). Beautiful little tree.

Crinum americanum. Gorgeous.

Zephyranthes sp.. Rain lilies. Grown in bunches, they resist weeds.

Iris hexagona. They're so happy in a shallow container that I hesitate to plant them.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

palmisland Posted Today, 09:40 AM

...Yikes, I thought this sale was a secret! How much ya gotta pay for a review like this!

The greatest price of all, nothing. :D Thanks for posting the link Randy, it reminded me to scan and post the print article from today's Sun-Sentinel. I knew the article was going to be in the paper today, but I was surprised to see it as large as it is; not to mention the color photos. The Sun-Sentinel is our local paper here in Broward County, even though it has a greater distribution than this one area. Jeff has all the details on the reason behind the article, but the paper usually does a piece about the nursery every few years. If you're ever at the nursery, the past years' articles are on display in the office.

- This was the header that catches your attention when you first turn to the Home & Garden section. I know that L. peltata var. sumawongii leaf anywhere.

scan0003.jpg

- Three pages in and you see the article with the photo of Jeff amongst the palms. If you are in Broward or places near, you should go and get a copy of the paper, as my scanner doesn't do the pictures or the print justice. It looks better in person or in your hands, I should say.

scan0001.jpg

- I need a bigger scanner.

scan0002.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

i got one of these from you guys. It has just made it through its second winter in the ground in orlando. The frost got to it a little but it has pushed about two inches of the new spear since our last freeze.

The majority of the palms have been pulled for the Extravaganza and I have the draft list in my hands. As I am entering the list into the database, I am going to post a few of the latest requests I photographed today. As soon as I am done with the list, I shall post a notice and will email it to everyone who had notified me earlier. :D

- This is one of the requests via email, Dypsis nauseosa which is available in two sizes. This is the lone seven gallon plant, priced at $150.00...

RDG2009-02-26_14-53-06.jpg

- ...which has a very stout crownshaft and thick petioles. Plants of this size start to develop white striated markings along the length of the petiole. This individual has only faint markings at the moment. This is a close relative to D. ovobontsira, and Dark Mealybug Palm or not, the white markings resemble a mirrored appearance of the dark ones seen on the D. ovobontsira plants we have grown here in S. Florida.

RDG2009-02-26_14-53-37.jpg

- For those who need less instant gratification, we have a three gallon specimen that is more than ready for the ground or a bigger pot. $45.00

RDG2009-02-26_14-56-58.jpg

Ryan

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.