IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need Silver Queen Palm

Joey Powell

Hello I live in zone 8b, and I continue to see major damage to my queen palms...but they continue to pull through. And so I am thinking I would have better luck with a queen palm that is a bit more cold hardy, like the Silver Queen. Can anyone tell me where to get these (and at a reasonable price)? Thanks.

7 miles SSE of Enterprise, Alabama USA, 67 miles from Gulf of Mexico Zone 8b USDA 2012
Lowest recorded temps in my yard (Deg F): 2007/2008 - 20.5 2008/2009 - 19.8 2009/2010 - 15.3 2010/2011 - 19.2 2011/2012 - 19.9 2012/2013 - 24.9 2013/2014 - 11.8 2014/2015 - 13.8
Friend me on facebook at facebook.com/joeympowell

Where exactly do you live? There are a tremendous amount of silver queens growing here in southeast TX where our temps go down into the twenties at least one night a year with no damage to any queen small or large. How cold are you getting when damage occurs?

Where exactly do you live? There are a tremendous amount of silver queens growing here in southeast TX where our temps go down into the twenties at least one night a year with no damage to any queen small or large. How cold are you getting when damage occurs?

Damage starts around 24-23F. We hit 19.8 the other morning w/ about 13-14 hours below freezing. I put a cover over both of mine. One did not make it.

7 miles SSE of Enterprise, Alabama USA, 67 miles from Gulf of Mexico Zone 8b USDA 2012
Lowest recorded temps in my yard (Deg F): 2007/2008 - 20.5 2008/2009 - 19.8 2009/2010 - 15.3 2010/2011 - 19.2 2011/2012 - 19.9 2012/2013 - 24.9 2013/2014 - 11.8 2014/2015 - 13.8

Damage starts around 24-23F. We hit 19.8 the other morning w/ about 13-14 hours below freezing. I put a cover over both of mine. One did not make it.

Not to discourage you but I have several silver queens that are very robust in size that have been in the ground for about 3yrs. 70% of the foliage was damaged- burned- @ 26f 6hrs with frost. Pensacola Fl right on the Gulf. I was surprised to see this much damage. I haven't seen this in past winters. They are planted on the South side right next to the house, in a somewhat protected area. They were going to produce great shade over hanging my pergola this spring, but looks like I'll have to wait on the shade.

best regards

gallop

Paul Gallop

Sent you a PM

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

Gallop, I am surprised at your damage with those temps and durations.

here in Tallahassee, I hit 21.6 and 12 hours of freezing with heavy frost - my queens much further in the open were not protected. the lower fronds got some damage but the upper porting of the crown is still dark green. these are not 'silver queens' just regular ones from the big box store.

I have one queen that has exhibited slower growth and weaker genese overall. it is damaged much more heavily than the others I have each winter. It is going to the compost pile as there is not point in growing weak gened palms.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

here in Tallahassee, I hit 21.6 and 12 hours of freezing with heavy frost - my queens much further in the open were not protected. the lower fronds got some damage but the upper porting of the crown is still dark green. these are not 'silver queens' just regular ones from the big box store.

I have one queen that has exhibited slower growth and weaker genese overall. it is damaged much more heavily than the others I have each winter. It is going to the compost pile as there is not point in growing weak gened palms.

Frito, I was surprised as well. I'm beginning to believe my silver queens have weaker genes of some sort. They seem to have a squat type appearance. The trunks are huge in comparison to they're over all height. I also have regular queens that bit it hard last winter, I pulled the center spears on 4. They all came back extremely well , I thought they might not make it. They only had minor burn this year, maybe I've developed a micro climate in that area.Go figure,my yard has been under constant change since catching the palm bug. I'm thinking the heavy frost is what did the damage. The emerging spears look OK. Overall disappointing though. So many varieties !

Paul Gallop

• 4 weeks later...

Frito, I was surprised as well. I'm beginning to believe my silver queens have weaker genes of some sort. They seem to have a squat type appearance. The trunks are huge in comparison to they're over all height. I also have regular queens that bit it hard last winter, I pulled the center spears on 4. They all came back extremely well , I thought they might not make it. They only had minor burn this year, maybe I've developed a micro climate in that area.Go figure,my yard has been under constant change since catching the palm bug. I'm thinking the heavy frost is what did the damage. The emerging spears look OK. Overall disappointing though. So many varieties !

Okay so it has been about 6 weeks now since our coldest temps. It has also been over a month since I pulled the spears on both of my Queen Palms. There is a lot of green still showing in the trunks (stumps). If I look down into the hearts of the stumps I see only holes - no new spears And I really don't expect any, either. But...how long did it take for your Queens to push out new spears after their spears pulled?

Joey,

I had this happen last year, the shoot new spears in a bout a month or 2.

pour hydrogen peroxide (the common stuff at the store) in the bud, this will kill bacteria and fungus.

Or you can use Daconil fungicide, or copper fungicide.

my spears are still strong on my larger palms, only small seedling queens in pots had spear pull so far. Ive treated with fungicide as a prevention about every 2 -3 weeks or when I can remember.

they should come back just keep water out of the bud and dont overhead water. the first spear that comes out is likely to look a little wierd.

keep us updated

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/