IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seeds on Howea Forsteriana @ 42" !

Tassie_Troy1971

This kentia in Hobart had plenty of seed on it ,although all were still green ,at what stage are they fully ripe to use for germination ? These cold climate kentias grown @ 42'south exposed to hard frost and bone chilling winter temperatures may be hardier than normal or would they ?

cheers Troy

post-1252-1234340908_thumb.jpg

post-1252-1234340929_thumb.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hi Troy - great looking Kentia ! I don't think you could be absolutely certain, but it surely couldn't hurt it's chances. If the seed is from a locally grown parent and the parent looks good, it's most likely gunna do well for you too ! Go for it.

I saw some seed on a Kentia here in Melbourne.. they looked ripe..I think they were a light purple/brown colour from memory.

-Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

This kentia in Hobart had plenty of seed on it ,although all were still green ,at what stage are they fully ripe to use for germination ? These cold climate kentias grown @ 42'south exposed to hard frost and bone chilling winter temperatures may be hardier than normal or would they ?

cheers Troy

Troy,

The seeds need to have some yellow color on them or even red. But pure green, thats too young.

Then the germination is erratic 6-9 months

I can save you at least 3 years .

Last years I sent Palms for Brisbane about 100 3 years old seedlings.

I still have some left .

How many do you want. could spare up to 20 at $1.00 each, and they are not small we are talking 1-0 mm thick bases, 3-4 pinnate leaves

BTW, even with the massive heat wave, looks like the Melbourne trunking howeas will survive.

With no trunk itd s little more iffy.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Troy - I'm gonna be camping under that tree with my shotgun....I know where it is! Only joking of course - I've got enough Howeas already.

As to the cold hardiness of that particular plant - I don't think our climate really tests them that much - when was the last time it got to 0C in Hobart?

I can't remember it...last year we had one night of 0.5C and it made the Newspaper...I think you posted about it in the weather section. The frosts that we get here are pretty superficial, generally no more than a light dusting; now if that plant was in Launceston, with its regular minus 3 temps, it would be special.

Howeas (at least forsteriana) seem to have very good 'cold tolerance', as opposed to true frost tolerance, and can put up with plenty of cool wet weather with light frost, typical of our winters - unlike some other palms which may be able to take a lower min temp, but not a long period of cold weather.

The cold hardiness data supplied on websites like Palmpaedia and Daves Garden is, in my opinion, fairly worthless to us as its based on short sharp cold snaps (continental freezes) - and we don't ever get those - we occasionally get a blast of cold Antarctic air, but it is tempered by thousands of km's of ocean. A plant that survives a minus 3C freeze in San Diego might drop dead after our 3 months of 12C days and 4C nights.

We need to look to the growers in New Zealand, as they have been at it for a long time, and have just about the only climate in the world similar to ours.

Even San Francisco seems to get the odd big freeze (is this right?).

By the way - if you want more Howeas, Chris's offer is too good to refuse, I'm tempted myself....but I've got enough!

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

As to the cold hardiness of that particular plant - I don't think our climate really tests them that much - when was the last time it got to 0C in Hobart?

Howeas (at least forsteriana) seem to have very good 'cold tolerance', as opposed to true frost tolerance, and can put up with plenty of cool wet weather with light frost, typical of our winters - unlike some other palms which may be able to take a lower min temp, but not a long period of cold weather.

The cold hardiness data supplied on websites like Palmpaedia and Daves Garden is, in my opinion, fairly worthless to us as its based on short sharp cold snaps (continental freezes) - and we don't ever get those - we occasionally get a blast of cold Antarctic air, but it is tempered by thousands of km's of ocean. A plant that survives a minus 3C freeze in San Diego might drop dead after our 3 months of 12C days and 4C nights.

We need to look to the growers in New Zealand, as they have been at it for a long time, and have just about the only climate in the world similar to ours.

If it helps, there have been Howeas growing and seeding in Napier for at least 70 years. I've seen an old tree with pure kentia understorey, and another place with so many old seeds on the ground its hard to walk without falling. Roundup is the only reason you can get under there at all. Picture below is me climbing one of the 70yr old Napier trees, in a very dry area (making growth slow).

There are also some old Kentias in Wellington area.

Certainly not a palm that needs any real heat.

Cheers,

Ben

up_tree.jpg

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Ben - thats one big Howea....and one big monkey!

Could you post a list of what else grows well (and not so well) around your area please?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Yes Michael kentias seem to grow well in the Hobart area although slowly 3 fronds per year ! I have seen a really tall one outside a residence in battery Point that has red seed .

Chris - I doubt that i have the patience to germinate howea's I have never had my kentias suffer any damage from frost when i lived at kingston and last winter here @ Old Beach. The hedyscepe has made a new frond since it arrived on the Island. Might get a few kentias from you (pm )

Jonathan- besides our coolish winter the climate extremes in our bay/river area are minimal ,its the cold winter wind that does damage .

Benz - What a whopper of a howea !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Very true Troy - the wind is a killer in winter.

Thats why I'm letting my poplars sucker to their hearts content!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Howas are actually a very very tough palm once they form a trunk.

They are drought tolerant, will grow in sandy soils, can live through heat waves of

3 days over 42 . They are slow. Thats the big drawback. because they are so slow, they can be very costly.

They take full sun, and that can be harsh.

Oh the last thing is ........they are not going to survive if it gets below -4C

CHRIS

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

• 12 years later...

During what month or season of the year do their seeds usually ripen to harvest and what is your exact climate there?

Edited by SoulofthePlace

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown