IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Archontophoenix alexandrae!

Kostas

IMG_1005a.jpg

What do you think this Archontophoenix specieman is now that it has grown somewhat?

And a bonus moon picture as it was so clear and bright tonight! :)

IMG_1006a.jpg

Thank you very much in advance! :)

Wish you all a Happy New Year!!!! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Kostas it's an alexandrae.

I'm sure you're happy with that. The white underneaths have got stronger in both plants.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thank you very very much for the help with the ID Tyrone! :)

I am extreemely happy they both are indeed Archontophoenix alexandrae,what I bought them as! You really made my day!!! :):yay:

All in all,it was a great deal and prooves that Toby knows to select even his cultivated palm seed sources very well :) Well done Toby!!!

Thank you very much again for your help with my Archontophoenix ID Tyrone! :)

Best regards,

-Konstantinos

Kostas,

I think it's alexandrae too.

Please try taking a few detailed macro photos of the leaflets. Especially the specimen above with new red leaf.

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Thank you very much your help Pivi too! :)

Do you need the macro shot to check for ramenta? If yes,there aren't any at all,I have thoroughly checked them since I learnt what ramenta look like in real life seeing my Howea fosteriana's leaf underside. That one has huge ramenta!

New red leaf can have any Archontophoenix species and I have seen a photo specifically of an A. alexandrae putting out flame red new leafs in Hawaii :drool: so this is not of much concern.

However,tell me what you would like to check for at the leaf undersides and I will try to take a macro shot of the part of the leaflet most likely to have the characteristic you would like to check :)

Yes, the red new leaf thing is not on every plant. Some individual plants tend to have genetics that throw the red new leaf, but not all the time. It happens in cooler weather mainly. When I was in Queensland in the rainforests in winter I saw many do this. Even in my neighbourhood in winter some individuals do get the red new leaf, and the odd plant in my garden does it. Come summer they're full green. Many Dypsis do this cool weather coloured new leaf thing too. I have no idea why, but it's pretty. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I just wanted to see if petioles (not leafs) are clear, or they contain fuzz.

I also got some of the "red" leaf on my alexandrae, but maxima tends to have that "red" the most.

This is all the red i got this year from my alexandrae

alexandrae2.jpg

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Speaking of interesting pigmentation (or in this case lack thereof) in A. maxima I had an albino seedling a few years ago. It survived a few months - I was feeding it dextrose for awhile but eventually gave up on that. Anyone else ever run into any albino seedlings?

Thank you very much for your replys all of you! :)

Thank you very much for the local information Tyrone! Great to hear info habitat info too! :)

Mine does it during the summer too i think but it has never had such intense red on its whole new leaf,when i got it it had some thin strips of washed out red at its oppening leaf and as it grew new leafs,the red portions became progressively larger and with more intense color and now it had this and even stronger color when i first came to Pyrgos for my Christmass vacations! :drool: Its really a great bonus to see such a colored new leaf on arrival! :)

Thank you very much for your reply Pivi :) Unfortunately i didnt see your reply before taking pictures and only took leaflet close ups...But they both do have fuzz on their petioles,more on their newest leafs. When they were smaller,my now smaller specieman had more fuzz than my red new leaf one but i havent checked their amount of fuzz now...It can be somewhat seen in the photos i have posted though,with close inspection but surely not too clear and well. I think this fuzz mine have is present on the newer A. alexandrae leafs i have seen in photos too...Its a rather low and soft fuzz that is whittish/transparent and can only be seen because it doesnt let the petiole shine but makes it dull/fuzzy looking when taken photos with flash. When you touch the petiole though,this fuzz wipes off and you can then see places having and places lacking it.

I hope the red in yours gets more pronounced as it grows :)

Hi Bob :)

One of my Caryota maxima(Himalaya) seedlings came up completely chlorotic(without cholophyll) too...Unless it produces a leaf with some green,mine is a soon to be gonner too...Its white butterfly like first leaf was very attractive though!

Here are the leaflet close ups i took of my Archontophoenix alexandrae :)

Bigger specieman:

IMG_1076a.jpg

IMG_1077a.jpg

IMG_1078a.jpg

IMG_1079a.jpg

IMG_1081a.jpg

IMG_1082a.jpg

All the above were leaflet underside close ups taken with daylight and so they look green as they are illuminated from above more than from below. Still,i dont know if they are supposed to look gren with daylight above. However,the newest leaf with has the most white on its underside,still appeared distinctly white :)

Here is a whole plant daylight photo:

IMG_1080a.jpg

From what i now see,i must not took any leaflet underside close ups with daylight from my smaller Archontophoenix specieman unfortunately but it too doesnt have any ramenta....

Looking forward to your opinions! :)

All the best,

-Konstantinos