IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Archontophoenix alexandrae!

Kostas

Your palm could be maxima...but is it for real... i don't know.

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Thank you very much for your replys Pivi and sonoranfans! :)

Thank you very much for the comparisson sonoranfans!My left Archontophoenix is very low humidity sensitive and his oldest leaf is shrinking fast...The margins of the rest of the leaves are affected too but much less...My right Archontophoenix has less damage from low humidity but its still affected a good deal!Fortunately,they are going to Pyrgos today where they will be able to enjoy plenty of humidity and rains!

Thank you very much for the so many A. maxima photos Pivi! Beautyfull seedlings! :)

No damage with -2C for my A. alexandrae seedling Pivi,none at all! :) I have read that,great info :) I find however that for me,most take a little colder tempratures undamaged and i think this has to do with growing the plants from very young age exposed to all the colds we have,with exception to the ones below their cold hardiness rating...When bigger,most of these get to stand their cold rating perfectly fine and take lower and recover :)

Post #66 has the answer regarding their loss,and you quoted it in post #69 :lol::)

I found some time today and took the photos you asked me to with no handheld flashligh,just camera flash :)

Here they are!

Left palm...

DSC03030a.jpg

DSC03032a.jpg

DSC03035a.jpg

DSC03036a.jpg

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Both...

DSC03040a.jpg

DSC03041a.jpg

DSC03045a.jpg

These show the actual color much better and i am happy for that,thanks for the tip Pivi! :) I hope they are good enough for some safe conclusions :)

Thank you very much in advance! :)

Post #66 has the answer regarding their loss,and you quoted it in post #69 :lol::)

sorry for that. I guess i overlooked it :D

I really can't tell from the pictures.

It's not cunnighamiana for sure. Is it alexandrea or maxima?

If you have fuzz on the petioles like you can see on my pictures, then i would say your palm is arch. maexima

I just don't see enough silver on the underside.

But, i'm not the expert.

Kostas, I am going to guess they are alexes, comparing them to both my alexes and maximas. The petiole spacing suggests rapid growth at that young age, that is not my experience with my maximas, but my alexes have clearly been my fastest archontos at this young stage. Maximas start out slow, but pick up speed as they mature, I understand. Alexes are faster from the get go, my 4" strap leafed bare root palms were the same size initially, but not after the first year. The maximas definitely do better in the dry, I have 4 maxis and 10 alexes, and they all have been kept in the same shadehouse the whole time. I have not had any dry burn on the emerging or newest fronds on the maximas, but the alexes have been touchy, but they do grow fast. Purpureas are also very touchy with the humidity, but cunninghamiana is pretty good for an archonto in the dry as well.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Well, maximas are fast even young if you ask me... comparing archontos.

Though, i didn't germinate alexandrae.

Large petiole spacing is probably due to greenhouse environment (lack of light).

Kostas, please try to take a quality macro shot of the petioles (you must focus on petioles if you want picture to turn out good. If your camera focus on background picture will come out blurry and we won't be able to see).

If they have fuzz they must be maxima.

Edited by Pivi

Thank you very much for your replys! :)

Thank you very much Pivi for your thoughts! :)

No problem,it happens! :)

There does indeed is not much silver on the undersides...Maybe too much shade results in this to make for more surface for photosynthesis to take place? :unsure:

There does is a good deal of fuzz on the newest leaves,on the old ones,it wears off...There is good petiole photo to look at in the first page,the fuzz can be made out in that one :) Unfortunately most of the flash ones didnt focus correctly...But the amount of white can be seen i think.Unfortunately,i am unable to take another picture of them now as they are in Pyrgos,but i will go there in two weeks and then i can take any others asked! :) Just tell me what else you need! :) I also think that in a month or two from now,when they open their first light shade fully pinnate leaf,the characters should be more obvious and hopefully the id can be confirmed,although i am almost sure that if i would have to guess between maxima and alexandrae,i would go with alexandrae being what i bought them as from a reputable source and due to the fact that maxima are rarer :)

Dont your young alexandrae have any fuzz on them?

Thank you very much for your reply sonoranfans! :)

Goo to hear you think they are alexandrae!

Mine have been slow to open the opening spear unfortunately,having them for a week and not having done much in opening it...Maybe it was the indoors conditions that caused that slow growth though...As for petiole spacing,i think that shade intensifys that but i dont know to what degree.Maybe it still is big enough? :unsure: Does any of your alexandrae have fuzz on the petioles?Just to cover every characteristic of my palms :)

All the leafs of mine developed margin damage on all their leaves and in some,the damage continued rapidly many cms in...As from yesterday though, they reside in humid Pyrgos so damage should stop :)

maxima and alexandrae,i would go with alexandrae being what i bought them as from a reputable source and due to the fact that maxima are rarer :)

Dont your young alexandrae have any fuzz on them?

I looked yesterday and see little fuzz on either of mine, but the fuzz on the alexes is more evident, though its a very small amount compared with say cunninghamiana. Since I am growing mine in an unusual (hot desert) climate in a shadehouse, perhaps they just dont look the same.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Kostas, my archontophoenix alexandrae is not that small. Is't started to trunk in 2007.

Here are some pics i've just taken where you can see the petioles and undersides.

post-1237-1235324860_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pivi

-

post-1237-1235324894_thumb.jpg

-

post-1237-1235324934_thumb.jpg

-

post-1237-1235324963_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much for your reply sonoranfans! :)

If they do have fuzz covering the emerging spear and petioles of emerging leaves,then we may have the same amount of fuzz :) Toby told me that his A. cunninghamiana had way more fuzz than my plants so the observations match perfectly! :)

Thank you very much for your reply Pivi! I though you had some small ones too apart from your big alexandrae,sorry for the confusion! :)

I do see fuzz on your alexandrae!If you look carefully at the newest leafs's petioles and rachis,you will see what i mean :)

Beautyfull photos of a beautyfull A. alexandrae!!!! :drool: Cant wait mine to reach this stage! :)

Do you have any further insight regarding the hybrid chance of my alexandrae or what to look for?

Thank you very much i advance! :)

I do see fuzz on your alexandrae!If you look carefully at the newest leafs's petioles and rachis,you will see what i mean :)

I'm sorry Kostas, but i don't.

This alexandrae has clear green petioles if you ask me.

I don't have any other info i could give you.

Edited by Pivi

Check the petioles(all the sides except the upper one) in your growth center close up photo:most of the petiole has something that reflects light in a dull way(fuzz) and there are areas where this ''something'' has come off where the petiole is shiny.Its is most easily seen in this photo,at the right up petiole,near the places where the petiole side meets with the upper side of the petiole :) Thats definately fuzz,just not too thick!

• 8 months later...

Hello :)

Time has passed since the last time we discussed the id of my Archontophoenix and my palms have grown and produced new larger leafs under known light conditions which i will explain to you so i thought i would post 2 updated photos here to see what you think abou their id...Here are the photos :)

Bigger Archontophoenix alexandrae.This is the right one in the first photo i posted of them on their shipping box.It never burned much and adjusted right through when planted and sky rocketed since then.It opens with a strong red streaks on its new leaf which fade away in a matter of a few days.It may receive somewhat more light than my other Archontophoenix,mostly lightly filtered sunlight and unfiltered for a couple of hours at most maybe...I checked this one and it doesnt have obvious ramenta on any of its leafs.

IMG_0859a.jpg

The second Archontophoenix which is the left one in the first photo of the topic.This one burnt badly even though its in a position receiving only morning and afternoon for maybe 4 hours at most and he was under a 30% shade cloth.He is a a bit behind my other Archontophoenix in growth but now has taken up speed well and maybe its now close to the growth of the other. He was watered more than my other Archo but now they are watered about equal(decreased the watering on this one).Overall,this one may be in a somewhat shadier place than my other Archontophoenix.Its newest leaf,as you can see,doesnt have all the leaflets it should.For some reason,the lower leaflels had a necrotic band close to their base when the leaf was opening and they fell on the ground on their own...I havent checked this one for ramenta recently but it doesnt used to have any.I will check this weekend when i will be in Pyrgos again and tell you.

IMG_0821a.jpg

I would very much appreciate your opinion and any insight on the id of my Archontophoenix now that they grew up somewhat :)

Thank you very much in advance!

Iassu Kostas!

I would plant the palms out in spring. At that size I´d also recomend them being in shade where they can grow out of it. Yours look like A. alex. which means they will be more cold sensitive. Mine have made it through 9 winters here and some have red new leaves and some don´t. I have 4 alex,2 purpurea, 3 myolensis, 1 maxima and 40? cunninghamianas. I get most of my palms from Palmaris and they are also well packed and are used to more light there in the south of France.

Cheers Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Hi Jason!

I am very happy to see you know some Greek! Are you Greek or have you visited Greece?

Thank you very much for your id opinion and advise! You probably missed it but these palms have been in the ground from last winter and have now finished their acclimation stage and are both growing fine! Lets see how they do this winter,although i dont expect any damage to be honest with our tempratures here :)

Its great to hear you have so many Archontophoenix! This genus rocks! Personally i like A. alexandrae more than any other species of the genus except maybe A. myolensis!

Thanks for the nursery suggestion too! :)

Cheers!

-Konstantinos

Hi Jason!

I am very happy to see you know some Greek! Are you Greek or have you visited Greece?

Thank you very much for your id opinion and advise! You probably missed it but these palms have been in the ground from last winter and have now finished their acclimation stage and are both growing fine! Lets see how they do this winter,although i dont expect any damage to be honest with our tempratures here :)

Its great to hear you have so many Archontophoenix! This genus rocks!

Thanks for the nursery suggestion too! :)

Cheers!

-Konstantinos

Hi Kostas,

Those Archonthos are doing very nice for the first year.

Interesting how you mention red in the larger one's newer spears. Since they came from the same source as my Illawaras, You might be looking at the same species as mine.

The Illawaras I have do brown and red in winter but only since about 3 years in the ground. None of my other Archontos do that at all.

As a matter of fact, from this spring, they have a little silver under the leaves - sometthing I just never expected at all.

Whatever my "Illawaras" are, they are quite fast.

Regards Maurice

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

Archontophoenix palms like lots of water and here if you keep them wet in the summer they do not burn near as much.

David

Thank you very much both of you for your replys! :)

Hi Maurice!

Thank you! Glad to hear that from you with so many Archontophoenix arround! :)

About the red streaked new leaf,i was told by a few people that all Archontophoenix species may open red,its just that only a few speciemen do it :) I guess it may have to do with different populations maybe? I dont know. Many of the Archontophoenix alexandrae that grow wild in Hawai open red and realarch showed me a wonderfull specieman in his property opening a spectacular red leaf :drool: Mine opens redder as it grows and becomes even more beautyfull than now! Mine open red through the summer too i think :)

Do your 'Illawara' have ramenta under their leafs?

Thank you very much for your suggestion David! :)

I keep them both wet(well,the one in the patio soaking wet and the other just wet/moist) and they didnt burn at all on me during the high summer heat we have :) All the burnt leafs you see were shade grown and inevitably got burned during sun acclimation(from heavy shade). The photos below show how well they have acclimated and how perfect their acclimated leafs are :)

Here are two updated photos of them. Hopefully they will help getting a definite ID?

IMG_0906a.jpg

IMG_0903a.jpg

Kostas:

Flip over the leaves so we can see the reverses . . . .

Whatever they are, your palms are doing well under your excellent care!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you very much for your reply Dave! :)

I 'll do when i am in Pyrgos again but unfortunately it probably wont be till Christmas :( Hopefully they will have opened another new leaf till then too :drool:

Thank you very much for your nice comment Dave! :)

• 1 month later...

Hello all! :)

Its a few days past Christmas now and i am in Pyrgos a few days now already,as i had told you enjoying the warmth and my palms in the middle of winter! :) Here are some photos of my Archontophoenix i took today during sunset:

Taken with flash...

IMG_0959a.jpg

IMG_0960a.jpg

IMG_0961a.jpg

IMG_0962a.jpg

IMG_0967a.jpg

With flash

IMG_0983a.jpg

Without flash

IMG_0984a.jpg

I would very much appreciate hearing your opinion on what my Archontophoenix really is now that it has grown up somewhat and that you have underleaf shots :)

Your palm looks simply precious, it seems to behave like an healthy palm, growing in good soil and climate conditions!

Lucky you my friend!

And lucky also your beautiful garden!

I agree your Archontophoenix looks great in late December in the mid latitudes. The red new growth is impressive. We had a freeze to 22 degrees F (-5.5 C) a few weeks ago and my Kings took a bit of a beating - they're covered with Christmas lights now. I wish I could help on the ID, I'm learning as much as you are. How cold has it gotten in Athens this month?

Kostas, it's a beautiful specimen, and I can see some good white colouring. I'm seeing it as a A alexandrae now, which is what you bought it as.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wow, great specimen Kosta! Congrats... I'm pretty sure it will do fine in Pyrgos, I think it's one of the most successful choices for your climate...

How cold has it gotten in Athens this month?

This winter has been rediculously warm in Greece so far...the lowest temperature I've recorded in my area was around 9.5C and that was just one night about 2 months ago. December is almost over and my regular nightime lows for this month have been in the 14-16C area. My palms are having a ball! But let's see what January and February will bring...

Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece

Lat 37° 55' 33" N - Lon 23° 42' 34" E

Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

Thank you very much all of you for your kind words and your help with the ID! :)

Rafael,

Thank you very much for your nice comments! I am very happy my Archontophoenix have grown so well too,so far they have been some of the most satisfying palms to see them grow for me! :)

Bob,

I very happy you like it! :) I love the red(they change color all the time from brown to pink to flame red :drool: ) new leafs this speciemen produces too,a lot actually! My other speciemen opens green so it's less spectacular in this aspect but I love it too! :)

There hasn't been any real cold in Pyrgos this winter yet and even then it shouldn't fall much below 0C,if at all... The lowest it has seen this winter is about 6,5C and I may say less than it actually got. It has been all warm so far but last winter it faced minimums of +0,1C for some nights undamaged,not surprizing at all though at that high a temprature :) They are not planted in Athens but in Pyrgos,a place southern than Athens,warmer and with annual rainfall above 1000mm a year :) But if you want to know about Athens,at my place in the Northern suburbs of Athens it got to about 4,5C twice a few weeks ago but has warmed up a lot since then and has minimums arround 10C more or less now. Highs are above 15C,up to 20C sometimes dailly though :)

In Pyrgos the dailly high is 20 +-1,never lower :)

Thank you very much for sharing your experience too :) I am sorry to hear it got to -5,5C at your place,that is quite low for Archontophoenix but I hope yours didn't damage too much :) I wish it fast recovery!

Tyrone,

Thank you very much for your help with the ID! I am extreemely happy to hear that!!!!!!!!! :):yay: How sure can you be of it's ID now?

Tomorrow I will try to take some good underside photos of my other Archontophoenix specieman to ID it too :) I will be delighted if they both are indeed pure A. alexandrae! :)

Thank you very much for your kind comments Basili! Indeed this species seems ideal for Pyrgos climate and fits right in without hassle,growing very fast! It does proove to be one of the best and most satisfying to watch grow palm choices I made :)

How awesome it would be if this winter continues that way till warm spring sets in again for good :rolleyes:

Hello! :)

I took some photos of my other Archontophoenix specieman today too :) I took them in darkness,about an hour or more after sunset,with the help of my camera flash alone. There does was a light on a power pole at the borders of my property but it didnt light directly the underside of the palm,only the above and only little. This Archontophoenix is smaller than the other one i photographed yesterday,its 1-2 leafs behind and more shade grown than my other one. It doesnt have red emergent leafs either but is a beauty too :) Here are the photos i took today:

IMG_0985a.jpg

IMG_0986a.jpg

IMG_0987a.jpg

IMG_0988a.jpg