IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Carving a tiki from a Sabal palmetto trunk

TikiRick

I have always enjoyed the Polynesian feel and flavor of a tropical garden. With the World Famous Mai Kai Restaurant and Lounge only a few blocks away, and serving as my inspiration, a few years back I decided to attempt carving a few tikis from dead Sabal palmetto trunks. The trunks can not be decaying or can not have been struck by lightning. So, I must find trunks that have recently died. Other species of palms can be used (I know you Californians prefer Washingtonia), but I find Sabal to be the most dense and just right for carving.

I have used Coconut, Washingtonia, Syagrus, Livistona, and Phoenix. Still, I prefer Sabal palmetto, and being here in South Florida, they are plentiful.

Here are a few of the logs that I have chosen especially suited for carving. They are fairly uniform in diameter and without major scaring of the wood.

post-918-1234102000_thumb.jpg

Here is the chain saw for scale.

post-918-1234102072_thumb.jpg

I have a special carving chain saw. Notice that the blade comes to almost a point. The entire blade is only about 10".

I use only a chain saw, and no other tools to carve, since I like the primitive look of tikis.

post-918-1234102106_thumb.jpg

Myself for scale. I do not carve over 6' poles, since they are extremely heavy and cumbersome to work with.

post-918-1234102190_thumb.jpg

Here is the log that I have chosen to work with. Previous to this photo, I must carve the bottom and top of the log flat so that it will stand on it's own.

post-918-1234102249_thumb.jpg

post-918-1234102310_thumb.jpg

Next, after using wedges so that it will not roll while carving, I use a chalk line to mark the best "face" for the tiki. This helps me to be symmetrical while carving the face.

You can see the faint blue chalk on the log.

post-918-1234102412_thumb.jpg

Then with a design only in my mind, I begin to carve. I usually work from the top down.

post-918-1234102442_thumb.jpg

post-918-1234102491_thumb.jpg

Beginning to see some rough detail. I usually rough in the general face, then go back and create the details. Details are created from using the chain saw at different speeds and at various angles.

post-918-1234102519_thumb.jpg

After it is completed, I use a wide painters brush to clear away most of the dust.

post-918-1234102590_thumb.jpg

An "eye."

post-918-1234102649_thumb.jpg

Next, I use a small blow torch to create the aged lava look. I used it sparingly on places to bring out more detail.

post-918-1234102687_thumb.jpg

Not too much!

post-918-1234102737_thumb.jpg

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Pretty cool stuff Rick! Do you also soemtimes paint them?

Ive thought about trying same....but lets just say being artistic is not my forte!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

But as you can see, the drier logs can actually catch fire...so you must pay attention!!

post-918-1234102846_thumb.jpg

After the fire department has left, the next step is a protective coat of SPAR URETHANE. It is made specifically for outdoor use to guard against UV, rain, and heat. It helps to seal the wood and if kept up periodically, the tiki will last for years and years.

post-918-1234102890_thumb.jpg

A few of the finished products.

post-918-1234102983_thumb.jpg

post-918-1234103021_thumb.jpg

post-918-1234103038_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it....I always have a good time finding just the right spot in the garden to place the newest tiki!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Very nice Rick. I too like that primative look, not over-carved. Thank you for the step by step, I'd love to try this someday.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Dear Rick :)

Iam fully impressed with your work skill... :greenthumb: And thanks for the step by step instruction too_ i love it ! :) And do you use the same chainsaw for carving the minute expression of that wooden handy craft or do you use carpenter tools like chisel...? since to run that huge chain saw so presisely is too difficult for me to imagine.. :hmm:

But i must say you are an expert in this carving work ! :winkie:

thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cool step by step, Rick.

Have you ever used a Lacelot?.......it's a chainsaw blade on a 4.5 disk grinder. I use it in my sculpting, and the thing is like a beaver on meth.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

No, I have not ever used a Lancelot. I would like to give it a shot, Rusty.

I do not use any other tool, Kris...only the chain saw.

Larry, I never paint my tikis. I have used some dark wood stain in the past, but that was for the details...I think the blow torch suits the purpose even better than the stain.

It's just my preference.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Very nice! How long does it take from start to finish for the average-sized tiki? Every do any using the attached roots as hair (palm trunk upside down)?

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Sweet Tikis! What's the advantage of the pointy bar? Detail? I just have a regular 18" bar, I'm guessing it would be more difficult to make a tiki with the standard shaped bar?

Great work and tutorial Rick, Thanks!

(Don't let OSHA see some of those pics though, somewhere I heard chainsaws and bare feet was not advised.... :o )

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thank you Rick for showing us that step by step! You do some fantastic work!!!! I have allways wanted to learn how to do that!

Thanks!!!!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Rick, very nice work. I like how youre designs come out of your head! great hat also :winkie:

Ive always wanted to attemp this but S. palmetto around here are hard to find relatively.

I agree try to find one with roots and hose it clean cut to the other end flat to stand it up an use the roots ystem as 'medusa' hair

Ive also imagined a small hole drilled directly in the center of the head on a normal tiki where a tiki torch pole can be mounted for added tiki essence in the garden.

great work!

Luke

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Rick!

Thanks for the step-by-step!

I have a washie that's prime tiki fodder . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice tutorial Rick! The tikis look great! I l too like the protective-wear!!!! :)

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Thanks for showing us how you make them Rick. The finished tikis look great!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Awsome work, great Tiki-torial...... Nice saftey gear too!

I wish I was that artistic. I saw one in Texas that still had the roots on it and it was turned upside down so it looked like it had hair. I wish I knew how to do them.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Yes, I have seen the tikis used from turning a trunk of the Sabal upside down to use the roots as hair. It's a great look, however, I do not have heavy moving equipment, so this adds another 50 pounds or so to the weight.

In addition, the dead Sabal has to be removed via backhoe so that the roots are still intact. I am just a lonely palm nut in search of a dead Sabal...so I don't have the luxury of the heavy equipment.

It IS a great look, however!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

That is an awesome DIY project!! Im gonna try that this summer............... now where can i get some trees to cut down? Do you raid the woods or something? :blink:

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

That is an awesome DIY project!! Im gonna try that this summer............... now where can i get some trees to cut down? Do you raid the woods or something? :blink:

I have another queen that has to go! :angry: Come & cut it down and it's yours! :) Oh yeah, Bring your stump grinder.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Cool job Rick! I have a Syagrus comming down soon. I'll save a piece :D

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Rick--

I bought one of your tikis from you on eBay and I have to say it's fantastic. I'm trying to find a place for another...it looks somehow oh so natural with a palm frond or two dangling over its head. Keep up the good work! Only thing I can say is to beware of splinters...just picking the thing up and I had some major ones all over in my hands...luckily when they're that big you can usually just grab 'em and yank!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Rick,

Very nice you do awesome work indeed a good artist gives your garden allot of character. :mrlooney:

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Cool step by step, Rick.

Have you ever used a Lacelot?.......it's a chainsaw blade on a 4.5 disk grinder. I use it in my sculpting, and the thing is like a beaver on meth.

Rusty

I want a beaver on meth! :lol:

Seriously, Rick this is great. Ive tried one myself and it didnt turn out too well. THis has inspired me to give it another try.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Beautiful work Rick! Thanks for the demo!

Couple questions though, in regards to the trunks you use. Do you carve your tikis with wet or dry wood? If wet, do you end up with any cracks in the carving while it dries ( I assume this may add or detract to the overall effect )? How about Washy trunks, do you think they should be carved wet or dry?

Thanks again for the info.

Maurice

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to bump this awesome thread....

I noticed some construction down the street from my office, they are putting in new waste water piping, and they chopped down some oaks, and one very large palm. Someone already snatched up the smalled stumps, but i got three that are at least 2 feet tall and 1-1/2 foot thick. And one huge one that is almost 2 feet at the base and 4 feet tall. Heavy as allhell too! :blink:

This thread was my inspiration!! Thanks Rick!! Im gonna get some ideas off the interent, and fire up my chainsaw to see what i can do!!

120 feet above sea level

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

These suckers are heavy, i had to have a buddy at work help me load them into the truck. At least i wont have to worry about anyone trying to steal them, LOL.

Not sure what type they are, as i never saw the crown, or any fronds. Im sure some of you palm nuts can tell by looking at the trunks though. :lol:

post-2948-1247268074_thumb.jpg

120 feet above sea level

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

Nice work Rick........I like Lukes idea of putting a hole in the head to hold a torch.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Nice work Rick........I like Lukes idea of putting a hole in the head to hold a torch.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Randy....I was surprised to see this post bumped up once again.

It looks as though you may have the trunk of a Syagrus romanzoffiana (aka Queen palm) there.

Unfortunately, these are not good for carving as they store a lot of water in the trunks. This makes them difficult to carve, and they deteriorate very quickly in the garden. This is why I use the more dense wood of Sabal.

You can try, for practice, but in Central Florida, I would imagine that there are dead sabal trunks everywhere.

Again, for practice, you can use an ordinary chainsaw, but the diameter of the point is too large for making more detailed cuts. I would suggest practicing with the regular chainsaw...angles, speed, and pointing of the tip....but if you get serious, the Sabal trunks and a carving chainsaw is the real way to go!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Rick - could we do it on a live neoveitchia storkii by Jeff Searles pool while he is on vacation? :floor:

Just kidding, great craftsmanship :wub: - something that is becoming rare in our pre-fab world. :crying:

Ron. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Randy....I was surprised to see this post bumped up once again.

It looks as though you may have the trunk of a Syagrus romanzoffiana (aka Queen palm) there.

Unfortunately, these are not good for carving as they store a lot of water in the trunks. This makes them difficult to carve, and they deteriorate very quickly in the garden. This is why I use the more dense wood of Sabal.

You can try, for practice, but in Central Florida, I would imagine that there are dead sabal trunks everywhere.

Again, for practice, you can use an ordinary chainsaw, but the diameter of the point is too large for making more detailed cuts. I would suggest practicing with the regular chainsaw...angles, speed, and pointing of the tip....but if you get serious, the Sabal trunks and a carving chainsaw is the real way to go!

I thought queen too. Maybe the fact that they hold so much water is why he found them so heavy...

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)