IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

licuala mapu & elegans

cainester

Hi guys,

does anyone know if these will work in a indoor courtyard, with shade light, living in lacosta, carlsbad...if they work as indoor, does anyone know of any deals locally here in southern california where i can get them. thanks in advance..

Mike

Hi guys,

does anyone know if these will work in a indoor courtyard, with shade light, living in lacosta, carlsbad...if they work as indoor, does anyone know of any deals locally here in southern california where i can get them. thanks in advance..

Mike

Mike...

I'm assuming you mean to plant them in the ground outside?

Elegans is a possibility as it is the most cold hardy of the species that have undivided leaves...mapu is a major gamble.

In lieu of the mapu, I would get yourself a Licuala dasyantha (previously called Licuala radula)...good luck finding one:

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Licuala/dasyantha.html

My 2 cents.

I could see how they work in pots, but that would be the final destination..in ground if possible..any ideas on where and who would have them for sale out here...thanks, mike

Hi guys,

Mike

Mike...

I'm assuming you mean to plant them in the ground outside?

Elegans is a possibility as it is the most cold hardy of the species that have undivided leaves...mapu is a major gamble.

In lieu of the mapu, I would get yourself a Licuala dasyantha (previously called Licuala radula)...good luck finding one:

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Licuala/dasyantha.html

My 2 cents.

Mike, I woudl not even consider trying Mapu outsdie in SoCal. It has been tried and tried by the ol' timers and it simply will not grow here. Plus it is an expensive plant to try with. Now Elegans is different. It is pretty hardy and does well I find. Rancho Soledad Nursery had some last I checked. I am sure Phil and Jerry A have them too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Mike, I woudl not even consider trying Mapu outsdie in SoCal. It has been tried and tried by the ol' timers and it simply will not grow here. Plus it is an expensive plant to try with. Now Elegans is different. It is pretty hardy and does well I find. Rancho Soledad Nursery had some last I checked. I am sure Phil and Jerry A have them too.

How would the mapu do as a house indoor plant

Mike, We have some L. elegans in different sizes forsale. You can reach me at 9492356187. Thanks, Ron

Hi Ron,

Just left you a message on the phone. Let me know what you have for sale.

thanks,

MIke

I have had a mapu as a houseplant for almost two years now. It is doing great, it started as a nice size one gallon. I have been looking for another one of size without any success. I will try to get a picture soon.

Jeff

Jeff Rood

Why do you guys use the old name, Licuala elegans? That went out probably 15 years or more ago. It's Licuala peltata Sumawongii.

And Jeff Marcus still uses, Cyrtostachys lakka.......jeeeez. :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have had a mapu as a houseplant for almost two years now. It is doing great, it started as a nice size one gallon. I have been looking for another one of size without any success. I will try to get a picture soon.

Jeff

'

Hey Jeff,

That sounds real hopeful. I have been just looking and listening and everyone seems to say that it wont work. I would love to see what yours looks like and maybe if i do come across one, i may try it out.

Thanks,

Mike

Why do you guys use the old name, Licuala elegans? That went out probably 15 years or more ago. It's Licuala peltata Sumawongii.

And Jeff Marcus still uses, Cyrtostachys lakka.......jeeeez. :)

Jeff

Sorry Jeff,

New to the board and still trying to learn. I did read the post on the site where they still use that because it is what has been know for more than 30 years, i think phil, from jungle music wrote that. anyhow, i will get them gears turning to remembering names.

Mike

Since licuala mapu are so difficult, what are some basic requirements if a greenhouse/conservatory is no option? I have to have them inside where I live because while humidity is very high here winter temps see the thirties often.