IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Afternoon ships on the Rio Negro

amazondk

I was down by the Rio Negro at work yesterday and could not help taking a few shots of boats and palms.

Superterminais private port loading a container vessel.

ST3.jpg

ST1.jpg

ST4.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

At the other end of town we stopped by the river front of the Tropical Hotel. There was a big contrast in the scene and the boat. It was a nice winter afternoon on the Equator.

The tip of land jutting out on the left side of the river is where my place at Paricatuba is.

Tropical2.jpg

A Buriti and Tropical Business hotel.

Tropical3.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Great pictures Don. They really show the grandness of the river.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Thanks for the pics Don. I always enjoy seeing photos from the Amazon.

Love the Mauritia in the last pic!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

looks like i started something with the maritime theme. :lol:

i enjoyed that last pic alot,too.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

It was a nice afternoon and the stops by the river were a good break. The container vessel came in to pick up empty containers. A sign of the global financial crisis.

Paul, I just checked out your maritime thread. That was a nice outing. It makes me more inspired to take a few water front pictures.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Wow, that's a huge river! You can hardly see the other side. :huh: It's hard to comprehend all the rainfall and drainage it takes to create and continue a vast river like that. Thanks for the photos, I always enjoy the visits to your part of the planet.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim,

The river in front of the Tropical hotel is 8 kms wide and in the deepest part of the channel about 100 feet deep. Looking up the river the narrows I was in a boat with a depth finder once and the reading was over 400 feet deep. It is a lot of water. The widest part of the Amazon river which the Negro is the largest tributary is 60 kms wide. There is no way you can imagine how big these rivers are without seeing them in person.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Amazing pictures.

In Costa Rica where rivers are for rafting and kayaking, and watching at the crocodiles, its difficult to imagine the Amazon or Rio Negro, and they are rivers too.....

• 2 weeks later...

I was down at the passenger port on Friday and a cruise ship was in port. It was a rainy day as most have been lately.

cruiseship2.jpg

MAOportrainyday.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

This afternoon I went down to the regional boat port to pick up some fishing rods that I left in Maues, 300 kms from Manaus 3 years ago. Fortunately my friend still had them. They came on the passeger boat PP Maues. It is a 24 hour trip from Maues to Manaus.

Maobarcos3.jpg

Passengers waiting for the boats departure. Most people travel in hammocks, although there are cabins.

maobarcos6.jpg

Looking back at the Manaus waterfront. It was a slow carnaval day. I guess a lot of people are hung over from the past few nights partying.

maobarcos4.jpg

Port pier food spots.

maobarcos7.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

This part of the port is called the escadaria which means the stairway. It is where most regional boats leave. The place is picturesque, but the down side is that it is not kept up well and needs to be refurbished. There is a plan to build another port for passenger traffic in another part of town.

maobarcos5.jpg

maobarcos8.jpg

maobarcos10.jpg

maobarcos9.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Great pictures Don. As I was reading this little fellow (90' Crew Boat) came cruising up the bayou that makes my rear property line.

_DSC5340.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

cool photos Don, thanks for sharing. Like everyone else I enjoy your travel logs from the Amazon!

thats cool Keith, I have a train track right near my house that transports goods :)

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Keith,

That is a great view at your place. Do you have boat traffic all the time going by?

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

A boat that big is not a common sight. Maybe only once a month, probably heading to the small boat yard a mile to north of me. They build large aluminum boats. I think they turn out one or two a month. They also build large catamaran hull boats that look to be 50 to 60 feet or so. I heard through the grapevine that is a military contract but don't know for sure. The one in the picture was an oil field crew boat probably coming in for a repair.

I get a tug boat coming through once or twice a day pushing a single barge. That one I am fairly sure is moving sugar from a the sugar mill about 10 miles north to who knows where down south.

On an average warm day we will get around half a dozen casual boaters as well.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

One of the things I enjoy at my place on the river is hearing the boats go by. From my lot I currently do not see all the way across the river, so I only see some of the boats. But, I hear them all. The range from yachts, up to 100 feet, down to canoes with little 5 hp motors. I like to hear the 1 cylander regional transports plugging by. There are Sunday passenger boats like the ones in the pictures above that come up to the beaches on the river with live bands. They are easy to notice when they arrive.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, thanks for these threads you post. It's really interesting seeing these photos and reading the descriptions of life there. That wide river reminds me of seeing the Yangtze River--towards the ocean, it's so wide you're not close to seeing the other side, and cities are built on the tributaries, rather than the big river itself.

Keith, that's quite a shot of a boat by your backyard!

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Yesterday I took a load of plants over to our place on the other side of the Rio Negro. Not that the ships are in the afternoon, but I figured the trip would fit in to the river boat theme. i had been accumulating plants for some time and my wife did not want them clutttering up the place in Manaus. Some of the plants were palms that I had grown from seed and others trees and a few other plants that I had got either at nurseries or govenment plant agencie, which give away trees and other plants for landscaping. So, the car was real full. Sunday was a beutiful morning with no rain for a change.

I got to the ferry boat port around 8 AM and theee was very little wait in line. The ferries have a lively commerce by vendors at both ends of the trip as well as on the boats. The view is looking out north west over the Negro River. I always enjoy the view of the river.

The camera on the post is part of a new city video monitor system the police put in place. They put 424 digital cameras around town. I guess it has helped somewhat. At least they see a lot of what goes on. I just hope that they take action.

01032009350.jpg

01032009353.jpg

01032009354.jpg

01032009355.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The trip was me and the plants. Good company anyway.l

01032009357.jpg

Since I had to back on the ferry the car full of plants sort of made loading a bit difficult.

01032009358.jpg

01032009359.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The express boats dock next to the ferries. They make the trip in about 10 minutes instead of 40. Most people on foot take the ferry because it is free though.

01032009361.jpg

01032009362.jpg

I ended up on at the back of the boat. Firs on last off. The ferry I got on is the fastest of the nine in the fleet.

01032009364.jpg

01032009365.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The bride over the river is becoming more and more visitble. It is on the right side of the picture. The trip will be 4 minutes instead of 40 plust the line wait. A big difference and I can not wait.

01032009367.jpg

It was a beautiful morning on the river. To the upper left side is Paricatuba where I was headed. The bridge colums are also appearing on the left side of the river.

01032009370.jpg

The buildings of Ponta Negra can be seen on the right side of the river.

01032009371.jpg

Most people took the ride outside as the temperature was nice, not too hot.

01032009375.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

As we approache the other side of the river the Januari palms start popping up. The river is nearing it´s highest level wihich will be in June. This year due to all the rain the river is vey high already. The river can raise up to nearly 30 meters over it´s lowest point in the dry season.

01032009377.jpg

01032009380.jpg

01032009384.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

We were getting near the end of the trip and town of Cacau Periera where the trip ends was coming into sight. The passengers were enjoying the morning. There was a group of motocycle club going over to Manacaparu which is the en of the road 80 kms from the port. Some of the female passengers seemed to be quite ineterested in the bikers. There are not too many places to ride to in Manaus.

01032009387.jpg

01032009385.jpg

01032009388.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

As the ferry gets close to the port the foot passengers concentrate at the front of the boat.

01032009389.jpg

01032009391.jpg

01032009394.jpg

01032009398.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

We pull into Cacau Pereira and get ready to desembark.

01032009399.jpg

01032009401.jpg

Finally off the boat.

01032009403.jpg

This guy has a mototaxi. The sign says he is a handicaped person trying to make a living.

01032009405.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I frequently stop at the maket in Cacau to buy some fish for lunch in Paricatuba. I picked up a tambaqui and some pacu for my mother in law. I had fried tambaqui ribs for lunch.

01032009406.jpg

01032009408.jpg

I finally got to my place with the cargo and the plants new home.

01032009409.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

In the afternoon after I got done planting a few things, having lunch, and taking a nap on a hammock in the shade under some trees I went down to the beach to check out the boats there.

The end of Bela Vista street.

01032009417.jpg

When the river is high the beach is great close to our place. There are little regional boats and canoes tied up in the igapoo (flooded forest). I went for a swim and the water was great.

01032009418.jpg

01032009419.jpg

This boat was dry docked, but it does look to seaworthy.

01032009420.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The typical wooden river canoe has been in use for a long time. Previously they were dug outs, but are made of planks. It is great to paddle around the flooded forest and catch a few fish as well.

01032009422.jpg

01032009423.jpg

01032009424.jpg

01032009425.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The Rio Negro is a unique place. The largest black water river in the world.

01032009431.jpg

I really liked this Leopoldina pulchra clumb in the igapoo.

01032009430.jpg

L. pulchra babies in the black water.

01032009429.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

A few Mauritia babies in the white sand beach.

01032009432.jpg

Thsi pipe channels the cool water from the stream through the Mauritia grove to the river. It is known as the bica. It soon will be flooded as the river rises.

01032009434.jpg

Looking back at the Mauritia grove.

01032009433.jpg

It was a great day to take picture of boats and enjoy the river. And, plant a few things as well. Not to mention a few cold beers and a nap under the shade of some trees.

01032009436.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I got back to the ferry boat port about 5 PM and forunately the line was not too long and I got on a boat soon.

01032009440.jpg

The rotation of ferry boats kept things moving and soon we were on the way back to Manaus.

01032009441.jpg

The city skyline approached and the late afternoon sun was nice. The catch was when the ferry boat docked things got messed up and delayed unloading by about 20 minutes. Antother trip coming to an end and more additions to the garden in their new home.

01032009442.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Sure looks like lots of cool plants in the back. Fun ahead.

Keith

Keith,

I did have a pretty good selection. Among other things were a yellow tabebuia and a purple tabebuia to put into the forest secondary forest area. I also had a few Brazil nut trees, and fruit trees like rambutan. And, I had a lot of palm seedlings, mostly Euterpe precatoria.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Don,

As always, your photos are incredible. The photos really show the grandness of the river. I'm imagining all the fishing that river must accomodate LOL.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray there are a few big fish cruising around out there. The biggest I caught was a red tailed catfish, pirarara at the meeting of the waters, it was bout 35 pounds.

Here are some more shots of a few boats and the river I took yesterday with down by the river with a few fellow gringos. We were at Praia Dourada a beach along a tributary of the Negro called Rio Tarumã.

Praiadourada16.jpg

Praiadourada12.jpg

Praiadourada3.jpg

Praiadourada2.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I had not been down to this beach in a while. The area is a favorite for watersports, jet skiis, water skiing, boating, and just hanging out on the river, eating some fish, having a some cold ones and enjoying the day. This time of year when the river is high is one of my favorites.

Praiadourada6.jpg

Praiadourada15.jpg

Praiadourada10.jpg

Praiadourada13.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Again, I really enjoyed this latest thread of yours. It's helping me get a feel of your area of the world. Muito obrigado, I'm at lesson 8 of Quick & Simple Brazilian Portuguese using C D's. If I get to Brasil next year I'd like to be able to at least have some basic communication skills. Knowing Spanish helps in some ways but not in everything! It's all audio so my spelling is probably way off! LOL

One big difference I'd notice there would be going to the beaches and finding fresh water, not salt water! Life seems a bit more laid back there compared to many US mainland cities.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al,

I hope you can make it down this way next year. And, it would be nice if you could stop by Manaus. Portuguese is enough like Spanish that you can get by with basic communication with little problem normally. It is pretty laid back around here even compared to major Brazilian cities down south.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg