IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis pyriformis

MattyB

Good thing this thread was bumped. I planted one in full shade about 2 years ago and it hasn’t grown a whole lot. Probably will need to dig and move to more sun

• 10 months later...

I just got a 5 gallon and want to plant it in full Carlsbad sun. Here it is.

I’d love to see some examples of larger ones as well!

Dustin

BA504A9D-AD0E-4E9E-A3F0-AB4C4664670C.jpeg

02D311CE-31AE-4E35-A1A8-296259FB590A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/21/2021 at 5:14 PM, Dusty CBAD said:

I just got a 5 gallon and want to plant it in full Carlsbad sun. Here it is.

I’d love to see some examples of larger ones as well!

Dustin

BA504A9D-AD0E-4E9E-A3F0-AB4C4664670C.jpeg

02D311CE-31AE-4E35-A1A8-296259FB590A.jpeg

That’s going to be a great palm for you. As mentioned previously in this thread, give it plenty of sun. 

Here’s mine in Hilo, HI:

E92B9669-F5DE-4350-913D-E5D55E277FC2.thumb.jpeg.d95bbadd5407ae75678607abe4a9eebd.jpeg

and this one has Rocky in it for some scale:

DA0C93C4-FEFF-4091-BDAE-462DD2716781.thumb.jpeg.74f16d2e376014a95581fb7bec42ec96.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

These are really pretty palms! My neighbors has become vertically stretched out as it attempts to break through his canopy, whereas mine has a more compact look. For whatever reason, the newly opened leaves on mine always seem to get some sun damage before they harden up. I suspect it will outgrow the problem. Other than that, they're super easy..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I was reading this thread and remember like it was yesterday making the comments. Looked at date and was blown away - 2009! WTF time flies. Anyway, the palm I got from MattyB looks like this now.

IMG_9770.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Sweet Len!!!  Looks like ours are still about the same size with mine lagging a bit.  I suspect yours is growing faster because it's getting more sun.  To answer the sun question on these I can say that 9 miles inland SoCal and these things can take full all day sun from a young age.  Mine was growing quite fast but as the canopy filled in around it, it has slowed down.  I trimmed off a huge tree branch that was smothering it so I think it appreciates the room to spread its arms now.  But the shape of the crown on this palm is spectacular.

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_5378.jpg

IMG_5379.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 5

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Very nice @MattyB and @LJG

In a bit longer yours will look likeBob Burtscher’s two specimens, hopefully dropping oodles of seeds! 

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 months later...

I planted mine in a spot that gets a lot of sun, so far so good. I’ll post pics as it grows.

Do these palms usually have a heel? Mine doesn’t, just wondering what normal is and what that could mean.

thanks! And thanks for the pics!