IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I'm freaking out......MAN.

cfkingfish

another "geez it's cold" whining post outside the weather section, that's all I can see here.

"What's your temp?, ooey wowza, mine is too, got all my palms in the bed with me now, I wonder if they're same sex :huh: ".

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

another "geez it's cold" whining post outside the weather section, that's all I can see here.

"What's your temp?, ooey wowza, mine is too, got all my palms in the bed with me now, I wonder if they're same sex :huh: ".

Hey Wal, we are sharing a drink they call palmnutiness, and it's better than drinking alone. :winkie:

Its 440am here, I am hanging around 33F and dropping. :mellow:

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Hey Wal, we are sharing a drink they call palmnutiness, and it's better than drinking alone. :winkie:

mine's called 4 X (I'm on my third as most can guess)and I toast to you all, get it ?, toast to you all ? :lol: I kill me sometimes.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

So much for a bottom. Still dropping @34.6.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Lucky you're not in the room with me right now, I just dropped one myself, that is, I just bottomed... :floor:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Christian,

At 5:20, it's 36 here, but the temp could drop another few degrees before this is over.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

It is amazing how much wind can make a difference. It is still quite windy and the temp at 5:30 AM was 35º F. This is going to be very bad for South Broward. I have my improvised 'heater' in the garage going but it needs a break soon before it takes a break of its own.

Ryan

South Florida

I had 34-35 degrees this morning at the nursery and my house. This was at 4:30am. Quite windy, which actually kept the temps. up a bit. And no frost, due to the winds.

But this sure beats the stress of hurrricane season.......

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I've come this close to saying something more about this thread being here, but someone won't let me, okay I will, Bruno, Bill Beattie and I are reforming the New World Trio and I'm going to be the lead singer, bugger off Bill, it was my idea.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

looks like 35 :angry:

Ryan...I hope those lipsticks you suggested we try by the pond survive...good test. We'll see

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

My low turned out to be 34.1F with no frost. Temp now at 34.4F

Here is the first casualty of the cold. These guys sometimes fall out of the trees when the temps get below 40. He'll probably recover sometime later today if he didn't injure himself in the fall.

post-1490-1233836930_thumb.jpg

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

Lucky you're not in the room with me right now, I just dropped one myself, that is, I just bottomed... :floor:

Wal, I surprised you didn't post a picture with this post! LMAO Sorry for all the whining. Us Floridians like to think we live in the tropics and not the subtropics. Events like this remind us though.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

If I saw that in my yard, I would bury him alive... Last week I went out to check the float switch on my boat (hanging on a boat lift mind you) and one of these mini dinosaurs was chillin in the bilge! He glared up at me with a look in his eye that said "What?! I live here!" :rolleyes: I can't stand those poop machines.

Just checked the thermometer as the sun was beginning to touch the shadehouse and it was a toasty 40F under the tarp... Seems there was no need to freak out after all...

Here is the first casualty of the cold. These guys sometimes fall out of the trees when the temps get below 40. He'll probably recover sometime later today if he didn't injure himself in the fall.

My Accutemp bottomed out at 35F! I read a story a few years ago about a women who gathered up a bunch of "dead" iguanas & threw em in a box in her "warm" garage......well the ig's warmed up and :blink: Good luck to everyone!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I've come this close to saying something more about this thread being here, but someone won't let me, okay I will, Bruno, Bill Beattie and I are reforming the New World Trio and I'm going to be the lead singer, bugger off Bill, it was my idea.

Wally,

And what makes you think Bill is your friend? Lol! Go to bed and wake up on the right side when you get up.......

Send the moderator a PM if your unhappy.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The wind started to die down, I was hoping for an advective event but there is just a gust here or there. With the idea of frost, I started covering a few plants and moving a few in. Here is my garage as of 830pm EST. It is heated and stays around 70F when it is in the 30s outside. My girlfriend is out cold sleeping and the cable is fuzzy, so my only respite is eating Twinkies and hanging out on the internet. :mellow:

Christian:

I know that you realize that man is not as powerful as is nature and/or a supreme being. This cold event is something that we must accept and replant if we desire to do so, or not if we cannot deal with hurricanes, floods, freezes and droughts, then don't replant or plant things that don't need to go inside. I was like you when I was your age; now I'm 52 and really don't want to raise my blood pressure over plants that can be replaced (versus me, who cannot be replaced.)

Just chill out. It's not really worth getting (too over) excited about, man!

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Wal, I surprised you didn't post a picture with this post! LMAO Sorry for all the whining. Us Floridians like to think we live in the tropics and not the subtropics. Events like this remind us though.

Thank you, Roz! :winkie:

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

I am going to be in FT.Lauderdale in April. I plan on touring Bubbas and Ricks gardens, call me crazy, but i have allways wanted a pet Iguana. I'll try and catch one when i'm there!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I reallyl enjoyed all these threads.

It looks like everyoneone along the coast in central and south florida turnied out OK. but what are yalls forcast for tonight/ tommorrow morning?

I ended up with a 21.6 as a bottom the regional airport report 14 degrees at that time. a new record low for the date.

glad you guys came through warme than predicted. here we dropped 4 degrees lower than the predicted 18.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

The lowest temp was 25f. I live in the country and to make matters worse i live in a low-lying aera, the Econ River basin.

The Orlando forecast for tommorrow morning is 30f w/ frost due to no wind. But i wonder if the temp guages that

give the readings on the news are sitting on a space heater!!! :lol: I can allmost allways subtract 4-5 degrees from their temps!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I'm bummed for you guys, but it does seem like you got our winter cold this year. :huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Mark,

I hope your protecting the Butia X Coconut hybrid. We are feeling for you Florida guys. It sounds brutal down there. Did you just cover it up, or did you have a light bulb or something for a little heat?

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I think you Cali guys are just seasoned from your winters and can empathize! Ya'll deal with this cold crap way more often than we do. Bill, thanks for the worklight idea... I ended up with 4 lights in the shadehouse strategically placed and ended up about 6-7 degrees warmer at soil level than outside air temps.

My hands have split open and they are bleeding on the keyboard. I can't stand this cold weather. :(

Well that is one way to effectively cut down the big lizard population!! :lol: We dont have any of those here, they would never make it.

It bottomed out here at 28F but luckly im under the canopy of large oaks. (i think i will plant more oaks this year!) :lol: The birdbath was frozen, but there was no frost that i could see, and all of my palms are riding this one out save a few small ones. I just laid the bigger pots on the side, surrounded them with bags of mulch, and covered with moving blankets. One more day and we should be in the clear, im hoping.

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

I bottomed out around 31.5 for an hour or two then went to sleep. A quick peek out the window does not show any carnage yet.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I am laughing my butt off seeing you guys in the Miami area stressing out at 35 or 40 degrees. Our palms here in So Cal just laugh at those temperatures. Give your palms a smack and tell them to "Man Up".

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

post-741-1233806838_thumb.jpg

heres my living room from the last cold blast.

thsi time more stuff is outside as a "Test" :rage:

Are the palms actually watching TV? You serving liquid fertilizer cocktails?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

LOL,

no fert cocktails yet, predicted to be 17 tonight so once tonight blows over, Spring can't come any sooner.

only 38.7 at 11:47am

Luke

63" rain annually

Gary, I think the diffrence between San Diego and Miami is that San Diego and surrounding areas have a cooler fall and plants are able to 'slow down' and 'harden off' to winter cold snaps.

where in south florida 70s and 80s are the avg high and lows in mid 50's and plants keep on actively growing throughout winter and are not hardened off. a cold snap can do more damage in this case.

plus I think frost (not freeze) is much mroe prevelant in florida cold snaps which can be just as bad if not worse than hitting the 32 degree freezing point. frost can form anywhere in the 30's I beleive.

Luke

63" rain annually

What's happening in Florida is not fun, but I see a lot of zone pushers are considering planting hardier palms. That's the reason we are so nuts about the cocoid hybrids. Something new and hardy to the low 20's. My low for the season was 27 F back in Dec. I only worry when it drops below 25 F. for my few "marginals." It looks like a cool and wet week for all of Calif. Bring on the rain. I hardly got a trace as the first wave moved through the Bay Area this morning, but more to come.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Hi Dick,

good to see your getting the rain you need! 27 isnt bad considering it all. I am relatively new to growing palms and each winter become more and more 'hardened' to it all.

I am one of the few pushing the limits in town, there is only a couple. certain stuff like A. wrightii has a fighting chance I believe planted in the right spot.

I have a warm spot in my heart (maybe cold spot) for FL native palms anyway. plus most are cold tolerant. I will be planting more this spring. somthing the central florida guys are considering too!

I think the Mule - Butyagrus is a great palm for this area as well. i have left my 7 gallon out all winter exposed so we will she how she does. I always follow the cocoid hybrid discussions and look forward to more advancements in that area

Edited by FRITO

Luke

63" rain annually

Good luck to all the folks like Christian,Ken,Bill,Jeff and many others in the buisness. I think we missed a bullet!

What you look for is what is looking

I am going to be in FT.Lauderdale in April. I plan on touring Bubbas and Ricks gardens, call me crazy, but i have allways wanted a pet Iguana. I'll try and catch one when i'm there!

my nephew has one he will give you...just tell Bubbalouie when you are going to be down and we will arrange it.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Well...at least when the temperatures drop in Calfornia we don't have iguanas falling out of the trees.

Sorry for your sleepless nights. You have the advantage of an earlier, warmer spring and a hot, wet summer. Hope your damage is minimal and recoveries are fast!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I am laughing my butt off seeing you guys in the Miami area stressing out at 35 or 40 degrees. Our palms here in So Cal just laugh at those temperatures. Give your palms a smack and tell them to "Man Up".

Gary

:floor::floor::floor: And don't forget to take your lizards to bed with you!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I had 34-35 degrees this morning at the nursery and my house. This was at 4:30am. Quite windy, which actually kept the temps. up a bit. And no frost, due to the winds.

But this sure beats the stress of hurrricane season.......

Jeff

you are right about the wind keeping the temperature up... however the high wind shredded by licuala and white elephant located on the north side of the house.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Nothing quite like french fried Iguana,cocktail sauce and Redlands Potato salad(provided it comes from Johnson).Iguana tastes like chicken but with a gamey hard to describe gator/snake mix.Maybe even a little sweet but not in a good way.I think I would stick to the Potato salad.

What you look for is what is looking

The wind started to die down, I was hoping for an advective event but there is just a gust here or there. With the idea of frost, I started covering a few plants and moving a few in. Here is my garage as of 830pm EST. It is heated and stays around 70F when it is in the 30s outside. My girlfriend is out cold sleeping and the cable is fuzzy, so my only respite is eating Twinkies and hanging out on the internet. :mellow:

Relax alittle cold never hurt anyone.....maybe you guys do have a climate for Hedyscepe Canterburyana Umbrella Palms.

You'll be fine! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822